Shahid Afridi - 173 matches - 127wkts - av 0.73/match
Abdur Razzaq - 119 - 153 - 1.29
Azhar Mahmood - 123 - 112 - 0.91
Wasim Akram - 350 - 490 - 1.4
Waqar Younis - 256 - 409 - 1.60
Mohammed Sami - 18 - 25 - 1.39
Shoaib Akhtar - 75 - 122 - 1.63
Saqulain Mushtaq - 165 - 284 - 1.72

Probable team - A bit of doubt here for the first game as Saeed Anwar, the probable opening bastman was hit in the nets + may miss the first game. Pakistan also changed their line up a fair bit during the winter tours of Zimbabwe and South Africa, but my guess of their likely line-up is:
Anwar (or Umar), Elahi, Afridi, Youhana, Ul Haq, Younis, Razzaq, Latif, Akram, Younis, Mushtaq.

They may play Shoaib as well + leave out Razzaq

Top Batsman: Youhana deserves to be favourite as he not only has the highest average, but also had a fantastic tour of Zimbabwe and scored 46 and 61 in his last 2 knocks against SA. However, batting at a probable number 4, must be a disadvantage when Namibia and the Dutch are on the horizon. The same goes for Inzamam coming in at 5. The 3 I'm interested in are Elahi, who also scored plenty of runs this winter including 2 100s against Zimbabwe, who they meet again; Anwar, too big at 13/2 in a place for an extremely experienced opening bat, although the injury + lack of recent match practice puts me off + most interestingly Shahid Afridi. Afridi is the pinchhitter who is often sent in at 2 or 3 to attempt to blast Pakistan to a quick start. The experiment has failed more often than not, but at 16/1 I'll take the chance that he does get a few goes + if anyone is going to rack up a massive score it's likely to be this guy.

1pt Elahi 4/1 Victor Chandler
1pt Afridi 16/1 Ladbrokes

Top Bowler: Difficult because of doubts about who'll start, but my vote goes to old campaigner Wasim Akram narrowly over his strike partner Waqar younis. You don't take 490 one day wickets for nothing + on past form he'll bowl at the end quite a bit too. Also going to have a little interest on my old pal Afridi again, as even though his strike rate isn't too clever, I think he'll bowl plenty of overs + the price is an insult!

2pts Akram 4/1 Bet365
1/2pt Afridi 33/1 Ladbrokes

hoss

Forum Member
Feb 24, 2002
England
A couple more I can't resist!!

3pts Sehwag top Indian Bat 4/1 Paddy Power:eek:

4pts Bond top NZ bowler 2/1 Paddy Power :eek: :eek:

Anders, would love to know you're view on these prices I've found for your boys (these are best prices - our odds guys look totally confused:D )

top NZ bat: Astle 11/4, Fleming 4/1, McMillan 7/1, Sinclair 8/1, Cairns 9/1, Harris 16/1, Vincent 20/1, Styris 50/1 (was 66/1!), Oram 50/1

top NZ bowl: Bond 2/1, Tuffey 4/1, Adams 15/2, Mills 10/1, Vettori 12/1, Harris 16/1, Cairns 16/1, Styris 18/1, Oram 20/1!

who's going to play!!!! you must have a mole! no jokes please:p

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

british bulldog

Forum Member
Sep 5, 2002
England, u.k.
PART 3

PART 3

My final posting.

SRI LANKA

Sri Lanka cricket coach Dav Whatmore believes the three hard months his team underwent in South Africa and in Australia should reap its rewards during the 2003 World Cup in Africa.

"The chances of performing under South African conditions is greater because of what's happened in the last 2-3 months", said Whatmore.

"In the World Cup it is not against one opposition that we will be playing against, but many. The idea is to try and win as many games before the last match against South Africa which would give us more confidence coming up against an opposition that has beaten us 4-1 just a few months ago," he said.

"We needed to go through the pain and heartache in South Africa and in Australia to get an understanding of those conditions. It will hold us in good stead despite the confidence being knocked a bit. We have lost against good opposition in their home conditions," he said. Whatmore said his overall assessment of the Australian tour was he wasn't unhappy with the results. Sri Lanka won only two of their eight qualifying round games, one each against Australia and England, but came rather close to winning two more against the same opposition.

"We were close to winning at least 50 percent of those eight games which to me is pretty good. It gave an indication to all close to the team that we were now heading in the right direction and beginning to show the rewards of playing under different conditions in South Africa and Australia," said Whatmore.

"It is not easy for any team travelling from the sub continent in those conditions against Australia and South Africa. However the experience in those conditions are invaluable," he said.

Whatmore said the confidence was gradually starting to return to the players because of those good performances against England and Australia and then pushing both sides on two further occasions at Adelaide and Brisbane.

Whatmore was of the opinion that Sri Lanka's opening match of the World Cup was very vital to the team progressing to the next round of the competition.

"Its a must win situation. It will give the team a big boost if we can get away to a win. It will probably be the match of the round in our pool. It's a big match for both teams," said Whatmore.

He said he was not sure whether New Zealand's one-day series against India was their best preparation for the World Cup.

"They won on bowler friendly wickets. It is not going to be easy to adjust in a short space of time. New Zealand are not a team of big stars, but bits and pieces players who do it fairly well and with good team spirit. They have a good history of starting competitions well," said Whatmore.

After their World Cup opener against the Kiwis on February 10, Sri Lanka have relatively three easy games against Bangladesh, Canada and Kenya before they come up against West Indies and South Africa in their final two Pool 'B' games.

During the Australian tour there were many areas in their cricket where Sri Lanka needed to improve before the World Cup. Here's Whatmore's assessment on them:

Bowling: "I was as frustrated as everyone about the frequency of no-balls. No stone was left unturned in trying to fix that problem. At the end of the day it is the responsibility of the individual to do the job. Dilhara (Fernando) is fully aware of that. His performances could have been so much better than his 13 wickets. He took two wickets off no-balls, and was probably the unluckiest bowler in the tournament having at least five catches dropped off his bowling. Had those wickets brought credit to him he would have ended up with 20 wickets. That is superstar status. The potential of him doing well is there. The no-ball issue was not only exclusively Sri Lanka's. Other teams also had the same problem. It was reflected more against us because of our losses".

Fielding: "In 1996 our fielding was more safer and solid. The present boys are a bit more athletic and younger than the ones seven years ago. We know what the team is capable of in terms of skill. I think it is more the concentration factor caused by totally different atmospheric conditions. A tell tale sign of a team not performing well is the reflection of the degree to which they are fielding".

Running between wickets: "Sri Lankan batsmen are more noted for their strokeplay rather than a construction of a single in front of the wicket. It is an area the boys are fully aware of. When the bowling is tight you have to create a single to keep the board ticking. It is the confidence of both batsmen to respond to each other and have faith in each others calling".

Batting: "In World Cup competitions you need a little bit of toughness in your mind in batting. You need that little bit of strength of mind in big matches. We got some good youngsters but it is the strength of mind and that little bit of experience that pulls you out of tough situations. Aravinda's (de Silva) and Hashan's (Tillakaratne) inclusion can mean the difference.

Whatmore said the days when batsmen were given a set position in the batting order were a thing of the past.

"In this modern day of cricket batsmen in the top six or seven will have to be prepared to go out there and do a job, depending on the position of the game. It is not anything new to our boys.

We have spoken about this on many occasions and we all agree that if required, any one of those batsmen should be ready and mentally prepared to do that. To have a set position also makes it easier for the opposition to do a bit of planning and block us up. Most of the teams are using that flexibility," said Whatmore.

He said one of the areas that was identified during the Australian tour was the repeated instances when three to five wickets go down within the first 15 overs.

"It makes it very difficult to come back from such a position. Hashan is one player flexible in that role and we will be using him according to the situations," Whatmore said.

Having coached the team that won the World Cup seven years ago, Whatmore said the chances this time around are tougher because of the conditions they will experience.

"The biggest difference is experience and pitch conditions. The 1996 team was a fantastic one. All subcontinent teams will struggle and the task is difficult. Because we had these tours to South Africa and Australia, our chances of performing well are much greater.

I dont want to predict, but I am going to make sure that each game we play is going to be very competitive," said Whatmore.

Some home truths expressed by Whatmore. Sri Lanks can be a flamboyant team and quickly put the game beyond the opposition. There progress relies on what will happen in the first 15 overs. If, as in recent games they lose three or more wickets, they are behind the eight ball and find it difficult to mount any type of decent score. On the other hand if no wickets are down then opposition beware. Ask Australia.

There probable team will be;
JAYASURIYA, ATAPATTU, TILLAKARATNE, DE SILVA, SANGAKKARA, JAYAWARDENE, ARNOLD, MURALITHARAN, VAAS, C. FERNANDO, ans one from the following; BUDDHIKA, GUNARATNE, NISSANTA.

Their batting on paper looks strong but has been shown to be frail on the hard bouncy wickets away from the sub-continent. There are a number of shot makers, Jayasuriya, De Silva, Jayawardedne, yet balanced with batsman who build an innings, occupying the crease their number one priority, namely Atapattu and Tillakaratne.

This is a week pool and on three occassions batsman lower down the order are not going to bat (baring major accidents). It really is a toss of the coin if Sri Lanka make it to the super sixes. And on that assumption once again those wishing to play the batsman market should look to play Sri Lanka batsman and not tournament.

I am sure most pundits would pick the captain Jayasuriya, but his opening partner has a much sounder technique, can build an innings, play his shots when required and at 5/2 with Ladbrokes looks a fair proposition. Those that feel Sri Lanka are vulnable and will lose wickets in the majority of their games early on in the innings may like to back Sangakkara at a large price of 12/1.

Topping the bowling stats is none other than Muralitharan. Enough has been said about his questionable bowling action, but recently he has been used to stem the flow of runs at one end, frustrating the opposition whilst the bowler at the other end gains the wickets. As I've said it's wickets that count, and Vaas who opens the bowling but rarely bowls at the end of the innings is not the strike bowler of times gone by. One bowler who has impressed me and attacks the batsman is C. Fernando. In the recent VB series he took 13 wickets and as Doug Whatmore pointed out, he could easily have had more. He is my first choice and at 10/3 with bet365 to top his countries bowling market appears on the generous side. My outsider is De Silva. Aravinda takes the pace of the ball, occassionally bowls inside the first 15 overs and then later in a second spell between overs 35 and 45 just as the innings starts to gain momentum. He could well bowl in all six pool matches and take nil wickets, on the other hand he could end up with 12, he's that type of bowler who that batsman think they can get after, but he's been around long enough to out think them. At a very large price of 50/1 (totalbet) to be top wicket taker for Sri Lanka this price is over generous. 16/1 would have been more appropiate.

I hope I have helped readers with my thoughts and I look forward to reading all the others. I'm off now to watch NHL and the Stars beat the Blues.

Anders

Bandit
Forum Member
Dec 17, 2000
New Zealand
Del - a huge help :cool: Just make sure the Stars win 4-0 or 3-1 cos I'm on the under5 +110 :)

Hoss - i'd back Cairns at 9s; who has that price?

Be wary of Bondy - love the guy and has the potential to be great at this tournament but don't like the price - and here's a worrying, but entirely accurate, piece from our PA guy, Mark Geenty, in SA...

FETCHED BY ANDERS ON 06-FEB-03,07:00: NEW FILE NAME IS BOND06-SPORT-WTE
CRICKET-WORLD-NZ
BOND REACHES BOILING POINT
By Mark Geenty of NZPA
Johannesburg, Feb 5 - Never mind Chris Cairns' or Nathan Astle's dodgy knees, it is Shane Bond's radiator which is causing the most concern in the New Zealand cricket camp on World Cup eve.
The Black Caps' main strike bowler yesterday battled in mid-30 degree temperatures during New Zealand's warmup game in Benoni, on the outskirts of Johannesburg, and was absent for today's optional training session at the team's Centurion base.
Bond has had regular on-field problems with excessive sweating and being unable to replace the lost fluid quickly enough, most notably when he was carted to hospital during a practice game in Brisbane a year ago.
With the heat beating down on New Zealand's buildup on the high veldt, coach Denis Aberhart was concerned his key bowler would have to be closely watched.
``Shane has a history of struggling in hot conditions, and we have to try hard to keep him cool before he starts because he struggles to cool down once he overheats,'' Aberhart said.
Ice jackets and cold towels would be ferried to Bond in breaks in play and he would be restricted to shorter bowling spells.
It was hoped he would take the field late tonight (NZT) in the New Zealand's final warmup game against Gauteng in the sprawling township of Soweto, with the heat also likely to be just as taxing in the crucial tournament opener against Sri Lanka in Bloemfontein on Monday.
The other concern with Bond, whose one-day international figures read an impressive 32 wickets from 18 matches at 20.53 runs apiece, is a lack of hard buildup.
After being hampered by a side strain and an inner ear infection during the India series, Bond returned to State Shield play for Canterbury but took just two for 119 off 25 overs in three matches.
He showed encouraging signs in the 78-run win over Easterns yesterday, taking two for 36 off eight overs although he sent down three no-balls and six wides as the heat took its toll.
``He's done a lot of bowling here and we're confident he'll be up for the first three games,'' said Aberhart.
Aberhart confirmed Lou Vincent would take the wicketkeeping gloves from Brendon McCullum for tonight (NZT) and that pacemen Kyle Mills and Andre Adams would probably get a run after missing the Benoni match.
It seems though that the selectors are leaning towards Vincent for the Sri Lanka match, along with the 10 others who played in Benoni, which meant McCullum, Mills, Adams and Mathew Sinclair may be the unlucky ones to miss the tournament opener.
Vincent's selection as wicketkeeper is an interesting u-turn after chairman of selectors Sir Richard Hadlee ruled him out of the role in December, saying it was affecting Vincent's batting.
It makes sense though, giving the side a better balance and enabling a rejuvenated Chris Harris to fit in after an accomplished 51 not out on a tricky pitch in Benoni.
``It gives us options if we do play Vincent, but we're not totally convinced on that yet,'' said Aberhart.
Jacob Oram showed how much of an asset he would be on the bouncy pitches with a haul of five for 35 off nine overs.
Bond, Craig McMillan, Oram, Astle and Adams were all absent for today's training session at Supersport Park which resembled Fort Knox. Special tickets were required for any onlookers who had to make their way through a maze of metal just to get a glimpse of net training.

btw, Geenty and former NZ pace bowler and current cricket journo Jonathan Millmow were the pair who cashed two separate 33-1 tickets on India and NZ scoring under 100 runs in the 1st innings of the 2nd test in Hamilton :eek: :cool:

Also of note:

Had a good chat today with Ken Rutherford, former NZ skipper and currently the cricket bookie with the NZ TAB. Will post the copy of the basic transcript of the interview here in a few hours when I've written it up; he has some perceptive thoughts on the tournament and played in SA for a number of years so well worth a read...
Ruds was my fave batsman when I was a teenager too; used to love the way he played and the fact he always had a Turf Digest within reach :D

Pumpkin

Forum Member
May 9, 2002
Canberra, Australia
There is no doubt the Australian team is on paper easily the best side in the tournament. With players like Gilchrist, Hayden, Bevan, Ponting, McGrath, Warne, Gillespie and Lee it is easy to see why they are priced so short to win the comp.

Yet they go into this World Cup with what seems to be an aging team and with injured players. The Aussies have played alot of cricket over the past 6mths and during the recent VB Series looked as though they were a side that had had enough.

BATTING:

The Australian batting order has powerful strokeplayers in the top order with Hayden, Ponting and Gilchrist. Then they have run a ball batsmen in Martyn, Bevan and Lehmann. Jimmy Maher is able to fit where needed. After that the batting falls away. Of the "all rounders" (Symonds,Harvey,Hogg), Hogg is the player who is in form both with the bat and ball. Harvey has played little or no cricket and was hardley considered until the improving Shane watson was injured. Symonds has been given so many opportunites but has still yet to produce the consistency that he needs to make the team. If Australia play Hogg as the all rounder they are playing two spinners and leave the late order hitting upto players like Warne/Lee or Bichel.

Highest Aust Run Scorer:
Best Price
Hayden
Gilchrist
Ponting
Martyn
Bevan
Lehmann
Maher
Symonds
Hogg
Harvey
Lee
Warne
Bichel
Gillespie
McGrath

PLAY: Lehmann @ for 1 unit.
Even though he will miss the 1st game (which I think will be low scoring) Lehmann will play every other game and is the most logical choice to open or bat 3 if Gilchrist, Ponting and Hayen are rested. Lehmann also can build an innings if the aussies lose quick wickets, and can score a quick 50-60 when needed.

BOWLING:
Australia's bowling is it's main weapon (hard to say when you look at the batting line up) but with McGrath, Gillespie and Lee they have the complete package. The main problem will be who will get the new ball. Lee was a different bowler with the new ball and should get it ahead of Gillespie, but McGrath and Gillespie combined to rout SAF and Pakistan last year. Lee should be rested against the minnow teams as he had the main workload over the Aust summer, but if McGrath, Gillespie or Warne look as though they are still injured it will be up to Lee and Bichel. Shane warne is always a threat, but his role has changed as he now plays a containing role rather than the wicket taker he once was. Hogg may play more games than people expect as he is landing his chinamen, and once they start landing they are very hard to play. He also is a brilliant infielder and is a better option with the bat than Harvey or Symonds.

Most Wickets

Lee
McGrath
Warne
Gillespie
Bichel
Harvey
Symonds
Hogg
Lehmann

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Pumpkin

Forum Member
May 9, 2002
Canberra, Australia
Sorry forgot to enter the prices

Batsman Bowlers

Hayden 3.25 -
Gilchrist 4.50 -
Ponting 3.75 -
Martyn 9.00 -
Bevan 11.00 -
Lehmann 13.00 67.00
Maher 21.00 -
Symonds 67.00 51.00
Harvey 151.00 29.00
Hogg 131.00 19.00
Lee - 4.50
Warne - 4.75
Bichel - 13.00
Gillespie - 4.75
McGrath - 4.00

Play on the Bowlers:
Hogg for 1 unit @$19. Will play most games as I mentioned and will buy a few wickets against the good teams and will be too hard to pick for the lesser sides

Anders

Bandit
Forum Member
Dec 17, 2000
New Zealand
Also see some value in Lehmann thru-out Pumpkin :cool:

Here's another Anders tidbit..

Kenya:

Obviously the interest here will be in there matches against the other minnows and odds offered on some player performances within the side.
Rain ensured they didn't get to bat in the warm-up v Border on Feb 2 but did restrict the home side to 194 for 8 off their 48 overs, with right-arm paceman Martin Suji taking a stunning 4-11 off 10 overs as he ripped out the Border top order :)
When the two sides met again 2 days later, Kenya won by 11 runs after batting first and compiling 210 all out off 49.1 overs. Left-hander Hitesh :D Modi, who averages 25.80, led the way with 87 off 109 balls while Steve Tikolo made 52 off 85 balls.
Martin Suji didn't play in this match and no-one stood out greatly with the ball - veteran left-arm spinner Karim took a very tidy 2-20 off 10, Tikolo 2-48 from 10.

The Kenyans will more than likely target a win against Bangladesh as being their World Cup and I'll watch for the line of that game with interest.
Tikolo is undoubted the key; a quality player with a one-day batting average of 30.80 and also a reasonable strike rate of 41.5 with the ball - second-best in the squad behind Odoyo (40.6).
Opener Kennedy Otenio averages just 25.93 but does have 2 ODI tons to his name incl one v NZ :eek:

Hope some of this stuff helps...

What I hope to do is get a little more specific the day or 2 before each game; looking at how players fare on that type of wicket as Hoss suggested...

The obvious sticking point for us will be trying to line shop _ is it worth also assigning a handful of books each?

Anders

Bandit
Forum Member
Dec 17, 2000
New Zealand
damn, sent the rutherford story thru to one of the sub-editors queues and now I can't even cut and paste the bastard :eek:
should be able to get it tomorrow...

ruds did kindly mention another stats site that will prove useful thruout the tournament... howstat.com.au :cool:

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

hoss

Forum Member
Feb 24, 2002
England
Anders, Cairns is 9/1 at Skybet , formally Surrey Sports - a very respectable outfit:)

oh, but if you win, they'll shut you! :eek:

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Anders

Bandit
Forum Member
Dec 17, 2000
New Zealand
T
HE Cricket World Cup begins in South Africa tomorrowsun morning with the opening ceremony, before hosts South Africa meet the West Indies in the first match on Monday morning (NZ time).
The Black Caps will take on Sri Lanka in their opening Pool B match starting Monday night, (NZ time), with and a victory is crucial as New Zealand stand to lose valuable points with the likely forfeit of the match against Kenya in Kenya.
Former New Zealand skipper Ken Rutherford is now the chief cricket bookmaker with the TAB. He talks with to Waikato Times deputy sports editor Ian Anderson about how the Black Caps will fare and who to watch closely over the next six weeks.

cp9.5,10.1

Waikato Times: Ian Anderson: South Africa are your pick to win the World Cup. Is home advantage the key factor in making that choice?
Rutherford: It's probably more due to the fact that there's not many teams I think are capable of winning it. I think the Asian teams (India, Pakistan and Sri Lanka) will struggle to play well, with their spin bowlers being less of a factor and (Sanath) Jayasuriya and (Sachin) Tendulkar could find it tougher on tracks with a bit of pace and bounce.
I would have been a little bit hotter on England if they hadn't had such a torrid run in Australia at the back end of an exhaustive schedule.
Australia have had some injury concerns with (Glenn) McGrath and (Jason) Gillespie and while it looks as if they might be right to start the tournament there could be a question mark over them.
I guess maybe the West Indies and New Zealand are two teams with a shot. The Windies would have to improve a lot on recent years but they did perform well in the past series v India.

el.3l
WT: Ian Anderson: So what chance have the Black Caps?
Ken Rutherford: Obviously the problem is with our batting _ it's clearly a weakness. Nathan Astle can't be expected to score a century every game. Stephen Fleming, Mathew Sinclair, Lou Vincent, Chris Cairns and Craig McMillan; these are our key guys, they have to bat around Astle. If we can't get the majority of runs from the top three or four we won't be going far.

el.3l
WT: Ian Anderson: Do you find it surprising that less than a week out from New Zealand's opening game of the tournament it still doesn't seem like the selection panel is anywhere near settled on the best lineup? It seems like we have so many allrounders who can do similar jobs that it's become too much of a puzzle for them to work out how to fit all the pieces.
Ken Rutherford: There's not too many specialists, is there _ that's a concern. And one aspect of their game that has not been under any pressure of late has been the bowling at the death. I was watching Andre Adams, for example, and if he bowls at the death in South Africa like he has here he'll probably get smacked around. I thought the exclusion of Paul Hitchcock was a poor move. It's unnerving that we don't seem to know what the top XI 11 is at this stage.

el.3l
WT: Ian Anderson: Given that the Black Caps still seem likely to lose points by forfeiting the game in Kenya, a loss in one of their first two matches against Sri Lanka or the West Indies would mean a defeat against South Africa virtually ends the campaign. New Zealand has beaten South Africa just once in their last 15 one-day internationals _ is that purely a psychological stumbling block?
Ken Rutherford: It must be a lot to do with it, but maybe they just play our slow medium-pacers better and we struggle to bat against their quicker bowlers. It has to be more than an element of coincidence. Remember last year when we were all watching the VB Series in Australia and everyone was commenting about how well Stephen Fleming had worked out the plans against Australia? There weren't many comments about our plans against South Africa. It's no surprise, either, that we've drawn to play them at The Wanderers ground in Johannesburg on a hard, bouncy, quick track. Makhaya Ntini is probably the spearhead of that pace attack now, with Shaun Pollock being a bit more conservative and bowling in the 130km/hs with Allan Donald as the first change bowler in a more senior role.

el.3l
WT: Ian Anderson: So what are their weaknesses that New Zealand may be able to target?
Ken Rutherford: One is leadership _ I don't think Pollock has proven himself yet as a captain. His red-headedness could come to the fore under pressure. They won so many matches under his guidance easily the majority of the time.
I think you could also put question marks next to Herschelle Gibbs and Jacques Kallis too _ can they perform when it really matters? They won't be able to cruise at the World Cup.
I thought the selection of (veteran opening bat Gary) Kirsten was very interesting, too. They chose him over Graham Smith, who averages about 40 in one-day internationals.
But you have to have players in the team who accept responsibility and Kirsten is certainly one of those _ I think he was a very shrewd selection.

el.3l
WT: Ian Anderson: As a bookmaker, how much of a handicap _ pardon the pun _ has it been to set odds for this tournament when there remain s so many questions over what's going to happen to the games and points in Kenya and Zimbabwe?
Ken Rutherford: Until we know more, we can't do too much about it. But it's interesting that in 1995 Australia didn't go to Sri Lanka in the group stage and forfeited those points but still made the final. I tend to believe that the better teams will get through no matter what. It's a bit of a risk for New Zealand, of course, not to play Kenya _ more so than it is for Australia not to play Zimbabwe if that happens.

el.3l
WT: Ian Anderson: There's always some big upsets at tournaments like these; is there a sleeper team?
at the tournament?
Ken Rutherford: I think the West Indies could be. If Brian Lara can fire _ and it seems like he might be ready to _ they could be a team to watch. (Opener) Chris Gayle is a potential star of the tournament. And they have got players with experience in South African conditions _ (pace bowler) Vasbert Drakes played for Border while Nixon McLean has played for KwaZulu Natal.

british bulldog

Forum Member
Sep 5, 2002
England, u.k.
Great last post Anders. I'm glad someone else notices that Pollock has taken pace off the ball lately. Remember I said this in an earlier post.

Anyway; just been looking at team prices for "what stage will a team be eliminated from the tournament" with Ladbrokes.

I notice that no price is available for New Zealand to exit at the first hurdle, yet Zimbabwe are 1/9 (1.11).

Now here is a report from "Reuters" on the decision today made by the I.C.C. regarding England's appeal.

ICC refuse to move England's Harare match.

England's hopes of switching their World Cup match away from strife-torn Zimbabwe were hanging by a thread on Thursday after tournament organisers rejected their request.

The World Cup technical committee, meeting just two days before the start of the event, refused to move the February 13 game from Harare despite England's concerns over political and social unrest in the country.

The England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB), who made a submission to the committee before the Zimbabwe Cricket Union (ZCU) put the counter argument, immediately lodged a final appeal which is set to go before an ICC-appointed judge on Friday.

International Cricket Council (ICC) chief executive Malcolm Speed told a press conference after the five-hour meeting: "It was a unanimous decision.

"The technical committee does not agree with the ECB... We have tried to make the right decision in the circumstances.

"We believe we have done the best we can and made a fair and honest decision."

The controversy-plagued World Cup is due to start with an Olympic-style opening ceremony on Saturday, followed by main hosts South Africa playing West Indies on Sunday.

CHAOS THREAT

The 54-match fixture list, however, has been threatened with chaos for weeks.

The long-running row between England and Zimbabwe has been echoed by New Zealand's continuing refusal to play in Nairobi against co-hosts Kenya and Australia's worries over travelling to Bulawayo.

ECB chief executive Tim Lamb told Reuters within an hour of the decision: "We are very disappointed. We have lodged our appeal.

"We hope to convince them (the ICC and the judge) of the strength of our argument."

England could end up forfeiting the Harare match -- as well as facing demands for millions of dollars of compensation -- and thus face a huge task in reaching the second round.

Speed said England's argument was based in part on "hearsay, radio reports, newspaper reports", adding that police security for the match in Zimbabwe had been increased in the last week. "It's a very comprehensive security plan around the players and officials," he said.

Lamb represented the ECB on Thursday, with ZCU president Peter Chingoka in the opposite camp. Both were flanked by lawyers.

The witnesses included Patrick Ronan, head of World Cup security, and Peter Richer from international security company Kroll, who produced an independent report for the ICC on Zimbabwe.

SIMMERING ISSUE

The Zimbabwe issue has simmered since December when British ministers urged the England team to boycott the match.

Britain accuses Zimbabwean President Robert Mugabe of rigging his re-election last year and compounding a food crisis by seizing white-owned farms.

Similar boycott calls have been made in Australia by Prime Minister John Howard and in New Zealand.

Australia's squad said on Tuesday they were still ready to play their Group A game in Bulawayo on February 24.

New Zealand, also worried about security, have yet to put in an official request for a venue switch -- they are due to play in Nairobi on February 21 -- but have already warned they could appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport in Lausanne.

Speed said the rejection of the England appeal "has no impact" on the New Zealand match, adding: "That's a completely separate matter."

Thursday's decision always seemed likely.

World Cup director Ali Bacher and Speed, both on the five-man technical committee, rubber-stamped Zimbabwe's venues last week following a security visit.

STAKES RAISED

The stakes had been raised to the limit on Wednesday when the ZCU, in a tit-for-tat boycott threat, said it would refuse to play if the England game was moved to South Africa.

Lamb and England's cricket board had initially backed the ICC stance over Zimbabwe, arguing they were not in a position to make political judgements.

But they did an about-face after skipper Nasser Hussain and his players grew increasingly worried about the fixture.

Britain and Australia's leaders have led a campaign for sanctions against Mugabe in a row that has split the Commonwealth on roughly racial lines.

South Africa advocates a less confrontational approach to its northern neighbour, and fellow Commonwealth members India and Pakistan -- whose teams are also in Group A -- say they are happy to play in Zimbabwe.

Sri Lanka, in New Zealand's group, have also said they have no problems playing in Kenya's second fixture.

South Africa are scheduled to stage 46 of the World Cup's 54 games, with six in Zimbabwe.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Now I am not going to get into a political argument over this, anyone who reads the news will have some kind of version. What I will say is this, that whilst England were out in Australia for the Ashes series, threats were made to players at and around the ground aswell as notes slipped under hotel doors. Not only this but it has come to light that Australian players also received these threats alongwith members from the ACB.

"WHEN IS A THREAT NOT A THREAT", ALWAYS ACCORDING TO THE ICC.

England will appeal and the decission will remain that the match goes ahead in Harare. England, after taking the stance they have cannot possibly play the game. England forfeit 4 points to Zimbabwe and the I.C.C. lose out financially as it is the players and not the ECB that make the decission not to play. Under international regulations (and been upheld three out of three in the Supreme Courts) Players cannot br expected to play if political unrest or safety is of an issue. I say f%ck the ICC, you made an issue of it, you pay the consequences.

Australia win their first few games and decide not to play Zimbabwe. Now Zimbabwe have two wins from two games with two minows to play which they really should win. Result is Zimbabwe progress to supersix alongwith the Aussies, leaving Pakistan, India and England fighting for one spot.

The prices for these three nations to get eliminated at the group stage is;

PAKISTAN 6/4 (2.5)
INDIA 2/1 (3.0)
ENGLAND 4/5 (1.8)

Now by backing Pakistan and India to return 100 units you must stake 40 units on Pakistan and 33.34 units on India. Atleast one will be eliminated so a profit of 26.66 units. If England have two of their better days and they are closely matched with both Pakistan and India then England progress and both bets will be winners (126.66 units).

However I have just noticed as I put the finishing touches to this message thread that Zimbabwe are 5/1 to get knocked out in the supersix, so this may be more viable as points are carried over to the second stage. On the other hand if Zimb, Aus and Eng progress Zimbabwe would carry over the maximum of 12 points with Australia only 8 and England 4 respectively, so the chances to finish in top four out of six and reach the semi-final is a distinct possibility.

hoss

Forum Member
Feb 24, 2002
England
Thanks for all the posts guys, it's been a big help :D

I'm going to be away for the first week, but these are my plays so far - plenty I know, but I'll enjoy it :p

(some prices have gone by now, sorry!)

Outright: S.Africa 5pts e/w 10/3

Top minnow (runs scored) : Bangladesh 3pts 4/1 (Bet Direct)

2pts NZ lose in groups 15/8

Top overall Bat: 1pt e/w Gibbs 20/1, 1/2pt e/w Dippenaar 66/1

Top Team Bats: N.Z 1/2 pt each on Vincent 20/1, Styris 50/1
Pakistan: 1pt Elahi 4/1, Afridi 16/1
Windies: 2pt Gayle 10/3
India: 3pts Sehwag 4/1
Australia: 3pts Gilchrist 4/1
S.Africa: 2pts Gibbs 5/2, 2pts Dippenaar 6/1

Top Bowlers: England 2pts Flintoff 8/1
N.Z : 4pts bond 2/1, 1pt Oram 20/1
Pakistan: 2pts Akram 5/1, 1/2pt Afridi 33/1
S.africa: 1pt Donald 4/1