Forum Member
Jan 10, 2002
"the bunker"

jr11

08-18-05
Forum Member
Jul 19, 2002
HELL
Did you read the comments section, someone said Bob Costas is going to ask for a ban on trains?

Fucking disgusting story.

gardenweasel

el guapo
Forum Member
Jan 10, 2002
"the bunker"
Did you read the comments section, someone said Bob Costas is going to ask for a ban on trains?

Fucking disgusting story.

lol...it`s a terrible story......so f`ing ridiculous and unnecessary......you just don`t know what people are capable of ....

jr11

08-18-05
Forum Member
Jul 19, 2002
HELL
lol...it`s a terrible story......so f`ing ridiculous and unnecessary......you just don`t know what people are capable of ....

I guess my question would be if someone or it seems like a lot had enough time to take pix and maybe a video, how come someone or multiple coudlnt help pull him out?

gardenweasel

el guapo
Forum Member
Jan 10, 2002
"the bunker"

I guess my question would be if someone or it seems like a lot had enough time to take pix and maybe a video, how come someone or multiple coudlnt help pull him out?

you know, i always wonder about that....i don`t have a phone that takes pictures so that wouldn`t even occur to me.....speaks volumes,doesn`t it?

and truthfully,i`ve only been on a subway train a handful of times......i don`t recall the distance between the tracks and the platform...

shouldn`t a relatively fit and able-bodied man be able to get back up on the platform?....

ImFeklhr

Raconteur
Forum Member
Oct 3, 2005
San Francisco
you know, i always wonder about that....i don`t have a phone that takes pictures so that wouldn`t even occur to me.....speaks volumes,doesn`t it?

and truthfully,i`ve only been on a subway train a handful of times......i don`t recall the distance between the tracks and the platform...

shouldn`t a relatively fit and able-bodied man be able to get back up on the platform?....

The victim was 58 years old, and probably in a state of shock. I would like to think given 10 seconds to pull myself up, I could do it, but "deer and headlights" and bam you are dead.

Horrible story.

gardenweasel

el guapo
Forum Member
Jan 10, 2002
"the bunker"
The victim was 58 years old, and probably in a state of shock. I would like to think given 10 seconds to pull myself up, I could do it, but "deer and headlights" and bam you are dead.

Horrible story.

58 shouldn`t be too old to pull yourself out...i`m heading toward that vicinity and i know i`d have no problem getting out if this picture is any indication...

800px-Fastrack_8_Av_vc.jpg

.i guess the depth of the track varies....and maybe the guy was either physically impaired in some way or just overcome with panic...

just insane...

yyz

Under .500
Forum Member
Mar 16, 2000
On the course!
It doesn't surprise me at all, that people could snap pictures, but no one in NYC could think to help this poor bastard out.

And if you think that the freelance photographer was 'signaling the train', you're off your fucking rocker.

DZ

Urban Achiever
Forum Member
Oct 22, 2009
310/917
58 shouldn`t be too old to pull yourself out...i`m heading toward that vicinity and i know i`d have no problem getting out if this picture is any indication...

800px-Fastrack_8_Av_vc.jpg

.i guess the depth of the track varies....and maybe the guy was either physically impaired in some way or just overcome with panic...

just insane...

The track in that photo is a different station.
The 49th street station, which is between Broadway and 7th, is where I typically catch the subway when I'm back home staying with family, so I'm fairly familiar with it. The next stop going southbound is Times Square, 42nd street. From the pictures, I can tell that this happened on the southbound side.
Interestingly, the height of the platform relative to the floor beneath the track can vary. The track can be higher or lower off of the subway floor depending on the station and the space needed below for drainage. Also, your step onto the train from the platform is not uniform in every station and can be either higher/lower depending on the station. If stepping down slightly when boarding the train, the platform height will be taller. My memory serves that this station's subway floor is particularly deep relative to the platform, thus why you see the guy's armpits barely reaching the platform's edge in the photo when the train is approaching him.
Also, we don't know how tall/short he was or what kind of injury he may have sustained in the fall.
Another thing to point out is that the platforms at this particular station are quite a bit narrower than most. You could probably stand 4-5 people (at most) shoulder-to-shoulder from the wall to the platform's edge, which doesn't leave much room for a crowd or for two people shoving each other around.
Just some thoughts on my end. I know it's a lot of detail, but I am extremely familiar with this station having caught and gotten off the train there at 49th St. 100's of times in my life.

gardenweasel

el guapo
Forum Member
Jan 10, 2002
"the bunker"
The track in that photo is a different station.
The 49th street station, which is between Broadway and 7th, is where I typically catch the subway when I'm back home staying with family, so I'm fairly familiar with it. The next stop going southbound is Times Square, 42nd street. From the pictures, I can tell that this happened on the southbound side.
Interestingly, the height of the platform relative to the floor beneath the track can vary. The track can be higher or lower off of the subway floor depending on the station and the space needed below for drainage. Also, your step onto the train from the platform is not uniform in every station and can be either higher/lower depending on the station. If stepping down slightly when boarding the train, the platform height will be taller. My memory serves that this station's subway floor is particularly deep relative to the platform, thus why you see the guy's armpits barely reaching the platform's edge in the photo when the train is approaching him.
Also, we don't know how tall/short he was or what kind of injury he may have sustained in the fall.
Another thing to point out is that the platforms at this particular station are quite a bit narrower than most. You could probably stand 4-5 people (at most) shoulder-to-shoulder from the wall to the platform's edge, which doesn't leave much room for a crowd or for two people shoving each other around.
Just some thoughts on my end. I know it's a lot of detail, but I am extremely familiar with this station having caught and gotten off the train there at 49th St. 100's of times in my life.

it`s possible that he was injured in the fall....

a question...do you think (uninjured) that you could have made it up to the platform?...i agree that there are unknown variables involved....i`m curious(being that you`re familiar with the platform in question)what you think....

as for the picture,i think it was fair to run...it didn`t show the gory aftermath...i don`t see the difference between running it on the inside or outside of the paper.....it`s much less graphic than the time photo of the man getting shot in the head during the vietnam conflict......

not to mention the fact that the photo may have aided the authorities in catching the perp in a timely fashion....

gardenweasel

el guapo
Forum Member
Jan 10, 2002
"the bunker"
btw...i agree with yyz on the photographer taking the shot in lieu of aiding the victim......

another point...if they couldn`t help the victim,i wonder if any of the scores of people on the platform didn`t consider trying to detain the perp?.........you`d think several men could have overpowered the guy...

Mr. Poon

Sugar?
Forum Member
Jan 14, 2006
Colorado
I understand the comments (from the gawker story) that without being there you have to take the photographer at his word that he couldn?t help and that he was trying to use his flash as a distraction. However, the picture that ended up on the front page seems to be centered really well for being taken so hastily.

DZ

Urban Achiever
Forum Member
Oct 22, 2009
310/917
it`s possible that he was injured in the fall....

a question...do you think (uninjured) that you could have made it up to the platform?...i agree that there are unknown variables involved....i`m curious(being that you`re familiar with the platform in question)what you think....

as for the picture,i think it was fair to run...it didn`t show the gory aftermath...i don`t see the difference between running it on the inside or outside of the paper.....it`s much less graphic than the time photo of the man getting shot in the head during the vietnam conflict......

not to mention the fact that the photo may have aided the authorities in catching the perp in a timely fashion....

Weasie, honestly, in the heat of the moment, I don't know if I could have pulled myself up from the tracks with train coming barreling at me down the tracks. Sometimes adrenaline kicks in in those situations and you can overcome some pretty steep obstacles, but then again, I don't know what it's like to be 58 nor do I know how much time the guy had. The platform is pretty high and there's nothing there really to grab onto when pulling yourself up.

My first thought when looking at the photos, knowing the station as I do, was that I would have acted one of two ways:
First, move to the opposite side of the track, away from the platform, hop the third rail and go for the middle area between the southbound local and downtown express tracks (there are gaps between the tracks where columns support the station in the middle). You can wait for the train to pass there and then pull yourself up with time.
OR, if the first was not an option (fear of being electrocuted by the third rail, no room, etc.), run away from the train on the track trying to outrun the point where it ultimately would stop. The conductor was able to slow down finally, so if I knew I couldn't pull myself up in time, at least I would be able to lie down between the tracks if I knew the train could pass over me.

When it comes down to it though, this is all just talk from me. I have no idea how I would respond in the face of death. I'll tell you one thing for certain, is that spot on the edge of the platform where that guy is trying to pull himself up is the very last place I'd want to be. To have my upper torso/chest crushed between the train and the platform seems like to most painful way to go out to me, given the situation.

gardenweasel

el guapo
Forum Member
Jan 10, 2002
"the bunker"
Weasie, honestly, in the heat of the moment, I don't know if I could have pulled myself up from the tracks with train coming barreling at me down the tracks. Sometimes adrenaline kicks in in those situations and you can overcome some pretty steep obstacles, but then again, I don't know what it's like to be 58 nor do I know how much time the guy had. The platform is pretty high and there's nothing there really to grab onto when pulling yourself up.

My first thought when looking at the photos, knowing the station as I do, was that I would have acted one of two ways:
First, move to the opposite side of the track, away from the platform, hop the third rail and go for the middle area between the southbound local and downtown express tracks (there are gaps between the tracks where columns support the station in the middle). You can wait for the train to pass there and then pull yourself up with time.
OR, if the first was not an option (fear of being electrocuted by the third rail, no room, etc.), run away from the train on the track trying to outrun the point where it ultimately would stop. The conductor was able to slow down finally, so if I knew I couldn't pull myself up in time, at least I would be able to lie down between the tracks if I knew the train could pass over me.

When it comes down to it though, this is all just talk from me. I have no idea how I would respond in the face of death. I'll tell you one thing for certain, is that spot on the edge of the platform where that guy is trying to pull himself up is the very last place I'd want to be. To have my upper torso/chest crushed between the train and the platform seems like to most painful way to go out to me, given the situation.

thanks for responding,bud.....maybe it`s harder than one might think......

i wonder why they don`t install some sort of guard rail or sliding door system to protect people from falling onto the tracks?....this isn`t the first time this has happened....

they had a debate about railing off the inner harbor in b`more because people were falling/getting pushed into the harbor....they decided that it would ruin the aesthetics....i doubt that subway aesthetics are a concern....:lol:

spartan

Forum Member
Jan 7, 2001
Long Island
Just to add my 2 cents don't stand too close to the train platform :0074
Becareful of your surroundings and watch for any suspicious characters around you.
The person who pushed the victim was a vagrant and homeless person.
Simple stuff to remember just beware people there is always a nutjob out there ready to do an evil act.

Peace to all and let's enjoy the holidays :toast:

DZ

Urban Achiever
Forum Member
Oct 22, 2009
310/917
thanks for responding,bud.....maybe it`s harder than one might think......

i wonder why they don`t install some sort of guard rail or sliding door system to protect people from falling onto the tracks?....this isn`t the first time this has happened....

they had a debate about railing off the inner harbor in b`more because people were falling/getting pushed into the harbor....they decided that it would ruin the aesthetics....i doubt that subway aesthetics are a concern....:lol:

I don't think it's aesthetics or even safety that the concern. The fact is that the MTA has huge budget deficit that is growing by the year and a pretty substantial amount of debt to go with it. I know they were trying to levy a large amount to pay off their debt against property they own on the west side of Manhattan, which I'm not sure they ever sold (I don't know if anyone remembers when there was talk of a new NFL stadium possibly being built in Manhattan). Regardless, they are way over budget already on their current projects (a new line is going in on 2nd ave and other station improvements are ongoing) and the flooding from hurricane Sandy certainly didn't help things (draining and cleaning the rails of the corrosive seawater was a huge ordeal). To my knowledge, there are two stations that have rails, one being the South Ferry station, where the track and platform curve around, as that is the end of the line in lower Manhattan. Either way, it would be a huge project to install anything like that at every station (over 400 of 'em) and there would still be gaps in between the rails where the doors open to board the subway cars. I remember it was a huge deal during the Giuliani era when they installed little dividers on the wooden benches so that homeless people wouldn't be able to sleep on them at night (I always thought that pretty callous). I wouldn't be surprised if that project alone cost the MTA 10's of millions considering their record of inefficiency.

spartan

Forum Member
Jan 7, 2001
Long Island
The last time I used the LIRR is when I went to see Motley Crue at the Garden.
What a fucking night so much pussy everywhere and it was nice to drink beer on the train.
Now they don't let you drink WTF.
This is why I don't ride the train and they can blow me with rate increases.
I'll ride in my caddy thank you bitches.
Deezy how you doing my brother :0008 :00hour :toast:

DZ

Urban Achiever
Forum Member
Oct 22, 2009
310/917
I just found this regarding the installment of screen doors:

Several planned stations in the New York City Subway may possibly feature platform screen doors. This includes the 7 line extension,and Second Avenue Subway.Although these doors are designed to improve airflow in stations, they also prevent people from falling or jumping onto the tracks.

It looks like that's something they are putting in the new stations. I can image it would be pretty costly to install screen doors in all those stations built in the early part of the last century.

saint

Go Heels
Forum Member
Jan 10, 2002
Balls Deep
Okay, this is the perfect case for why I think we should have "eye for an eye" in certain circumstances.

We know who did it. There's no denying that.

He should be tied up facing an oncoming train and experience the same death. I think certain crimes would decrease if this were truly the case.

Obviously you couldn't apply it unless there is direct evidence because the wrongful conviction rate is so high in our legal system. But in clear cases like this, eye for an eye.

Bet on MyBookie