Am I a bad person?

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

3 Seconds

Fcuk Frist
Forum Member
Jan 14, 2004
Marlton, NJ
I wouldnt shake a guys hand tonight, cause I knew he had HIV.

I kept thinking I am pretty sure I got a paper cut earlier in the day & dont shake his hand even if he put it out there.

Well he did & I wouldnt shake his hand.

I know you cant get AIDS or HIV from hugs, handshakes, kisses, casual contact whatever...

Seriously....is that a bad thing?

ImFeklhr

Raconteur
Forum Member
Oct 3, 2005
San Francisco
Not bad at all.... but probably paranoid.

You've probably shaken hands with dozens of people who had HIV before. without realizing it.

Feel free to donate to me for my charity walk this weekend, if it will help you feel better. :142smilie
:mj07:

Reactions: Agent 0659
MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

SixFive

bonswa
Forum Member
Mar 12, 2001
BG, KY, USA

I kept thinking I am pretty sure I got a paper cut earlier in the day & dont shake his hand even if he put it out there.

I know you cant get AIDS or HIV from hugs, handshakes, kisses, casual contact whatever...

I would have shaken it. I'm sure in your everyday life you come into contact with more dangerous things than a 0% chance of contracting HIV.

VaNurse

Dirty Foot
Forum Member
Mar 13, 2002
NC
I wouldn't say you're a bad person....just ignorant. You cannot contract HIV from casual contact! I know you said you know this, but apparently you just can't believe it. Depending on the other person's blood volume of the virus and how well it's been controlled by medications, it's possible for him to have a gaping wound in his palm and for you to have a paper cut and still not contract it.

Myself and a co-worker each had needlesticks from positive patients and we didn't contract it. Please let the BS go and treat him exactly as you would if you didn't know.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

RollTide72

June 8, 2013
Forum Member
Apr 4, 2002
Greenfield, IN
www.facebook.com
Bad? No.

Paranoid? Yes.

As someone posted earlier, you KNEW this person had HIV. How many people do you come into contact with that have HIV and you DON'T know?

It would be difficult for me to refuse someone's handshake. I was raised to give a good, firm handshake and look that person square in the eye while doing so. It's just good manners.

3 Seconds

Fcuk Frist
Forum Member
Jan 14, 2004
Marlton, NJ
I was not rude to this guy at all. I am very polite and friendly to him.

I didnt just say I ain't shakin your hand buddy, I tried to make it seem like I didnt see him put it out & just walked the other way.

I realize its paranoid, but its weird. I mean this guy has had HIV for a while, like 10 years, but I dont know his blood counts & that medical stuff.

I just was worried that maybe, just maybe, since I do have a tiny pin prick size cut on my finger that it may not be the best decision to shake his hand....I wasnt sure if sweat or something that if it got on my cut could transmite the HIV.

I do feel guilty about it.

Last edited:
MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Agent 0659

:mj07:
Forum Member
Dec 21, 2003
Gym rat
This seems as good a time as any to educate yourself on the subject to ensure you WILL react better in the future.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

hedgehog

Registered
Forum Member
Oct 30, 2003
TX
If I know someone has the virus known to cause AIDS, I do not know if I would shake their hand either. :shrug:

The Sponge

Forum Member
Aug 24, 2006
I don't care if he had aids, money, five hot friends i don't want to shake anyones hand. Its borederline filthy and if you don't believe me just watch someone for ten minutes and watch where his hand goes. Coughing on it. Rubbing his nose and possibly picking it and also possibly one of those guys who just doesn't know what the sink is doing in the bathroom. 3 sec im with you. Don't shake anyones hand. And for god's sake the guy in the bar who wants to shake or high five every two minutes should be shot.

Hope this helps lolol

dunclock

Forum Member
Dec 22, 2001
Nashville, TN
I once went to an Olive Garden that when I opened the menu had a disclaimer in the bottom corner of the menu:

"We are required by law to inform you that one of our chefs has the HIV virus but he is fully protected with rubber gloves and hair net so you are not any risk to eat in our establishment. We are required to provide this information by law, please enjoy your meal"

I made an excuse about forgetting to stop by the ATM to get cash and got out of there. Guess I am a bad person too, just did not feel right about that around my food but I at least ate with a clear conscience at my next stop.

Reactions: Agent 0659

Dr. Fade

Colllector
Forum Member
Sep 29, 2005
Kansas City

Was it the same dude you got anal from on the soccer field after the Depeche Mode show? And if so, was he HIV positive then? :shrug:

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

ImFeklhr

Raconteur
Forum Member
Oct 3, 2005
San Francisco
I once went to an Olive Garden that when I opened the menu had a disclaimer in the bottom corner of the menu:

"We are required by law to inform you that one of our chefs has the HIV virus but he is fully protected with rubber gloves and hair net so you are not any risk to eat in our establishment. We are required to provide this information by law, please enjoy your meal"

I made an excuse about forgetting to stop by the ATM to get cash and got out of there. Guess I am a bad person too, just did not feel right about that around my food but I at least ate with a clear conscience at my next stop.

Man, that brings up some funky thoughts in my head too. I don't even want to THINK about kitchens in restaurants, so to have them mentioned on the menu would be unnerving to say the least. No matter what the ailment.

Imagine if they had to update it daily...

"Welcome to Olive Garden, Chef Steve has a cold today, and Chef Pedro has a hangnail that is just begging to fall off... we are required by law to tell you these things... enjoy your meal"

I gotta agree that in so many cases ignorance is bliss.

smurphy

cartographer
Channel Member
Jul 31, 2004
L.A.
Am I the only one to see the irony in this story combined with 3 Seconds' take on Frist? Wasn't it Dr. Frist who made a fool of himself claiming that HIV could be spread through tears?

Aids is scary. He's probably not the only one here would have gotten nervous in that situation. I used to deliver medical supplies to the homes of terminally ill people. I always got an extra sense of paranoia when entering an Aids patient house. You really can't help the initial reaction, despite what your logical brain tells you.