Another Republican "Man of Faith" In Trouble.

smurphy

cartographer
Channel Member
Jul 31, 2004
L.A.
It never ends with these guys.:mj07:

http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/01/16/former.congressman.indicted/index.html

(CNN) -- A former congressman has been charged in connection with his work for an Islamic charity accused of funneling money to an Afghan warlord, prosecutors announced Wednesday.

Mark Siljander served three terms in the House of Representatives.

The money laundering, conspiracy and obstruction of justice charges against former Michigan Rep. Mark Deli Siljander are part of a 42-count indictment released by the U.S. attorney's office in Kansas City, Missouri.

Siljander "vehemently denies the allegations in the indictment and will enter a not guilty plea," said his attorney, James Hobbs.

Prosecutors allege Siljander's co-defendants -- the directors of an Islamic charity -- hired him to get the organization off a list of agencies suspected of links to terrorism and paid him with stolen U.S. government funds.

The Treasury Department designated the Islamic American Relief Agency as a suspected fundraiser for terrorists in 2004, The Associated Press reported.

Siljander is also accused of lying to federal agents and prosecutors about his work for the group, which allegedly steered $260,000 to Gulbuddin Hekmatyar -- an ally of the Taliban and al Qaeda.

The United States named Hekmatyar a "specially designated global terrorist" in 2003.

Don't Miss
Read the indictment (PDF)
The money was sent between 2002 and 2004 to accounts in Peshawar, Pakistan. Some of the funds were supposed to go toward renovating buildings Hekmatyar owns in an Afghan refugee camp, according to the indictment.

Five officers of the charity already faced charges of money laundering, theft of government funds and violating U.S. sanctions on Iraq. Wednesday's indictment adds eight counts involving the transfer of money to Hekmatyar.

Siljander's attorney denied wrongdoing by his client.

"Mr. Siljander was never an officer of the Islamic American Relief Agency, nor was he ever involved in any alleged efforts by IARA to engage in any prohibited financial transactions with any U.S.-designated terrorist, including Gulbuddin Hekmatyar," Hobbs said.

"Mr. Siljander is not even named in those counts."

Siljander served three terms in the House of Representatives before losing to a Republican primary challenger in 1986. He later served as a U.S. delegate to the U.N. General Assembly late in the Reagan administration.

He now operates a consulting and public relations firm based in suburban Washington.

Lawmakers who heard the news of his indictment were "shocked," said Rep. Ray LaHood, R-Illinois.

"He traveled the world, almost as a missionary. He was a man of deep faith," said LaHood, who reported seeing Siljander at a congressional prayer breakfast in December.

He called the news "very sad."

Michigan Democrat Dale Kildee said he knew Siljander "very well as a Michigan colleague," calling him "very conservative" and a "devout Christian." Kildee, a former seminarian, said he often talked to Siljander about politics and theology.

"Obviously, this is surprising to me," he said. "I haven't seen him since he left Congress, but I used to talk to him on walks back and forth across the street to votes and in delegation meetings."

smurphy

cartographer
Channel Member
Jul 31, 2004
L.A.
Countdown til Weasel or Dogs says something about Chappaquiddick: 5, 4, 3, 2......

THE KOD

Registered
Forum Member
Nov 16, 2001
Victory Lane
Galley.jpg

gardenweasel

el guapo
Forum Member
Jan 10, 2002
"the bunker"
at least you'll hear widespread condemnation of siljander, especially from the right, as opposed to the usual crickets you hear from the left when a democrat is in legal trouble.......;)

and scott.....thanks for posting that picture of south african actress alice krige....

what a hottie(at least,she was a decade or two ago)...she played the mother in stephen king`s "sleepwalkers"..... my guess is she`s still pretty cute as a middle ager...

not to shabby...

Jabberwocky

Forum Member
Mar 3, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
at least you'll hear widespread condemnation of siljander, especially from the right, as opposed to the usual crickets you hear from the left when a democrat is in legal trouble.......;)

Pathetic. Do you address anything directly? Everything reduces to "well, we are still better than the liberals". Its laughable, and sad.

gardenweasel

el guapo
Forum Member
Jan 10, 2002
"the bunker"
Pathetic. Do you address anything directly? Everything reduces to "well, we are still better than the liberals". Its laughable, and sad.

no...this bbc gem is pathetic...

,"The thing about Republicans I don't get . . .

. . . . is how much they love dick.

Can't believe these guys can't get the gay vote"..........

that`s pathetic...

but,i guess you`re right,`wocky...let's start the purge of the republican party with all of the republicans that have been out of office for 20 plus years......

geez....:nooo:

DOGS THAT BARK

Forum Member
Jul 13, 1999
Bowling Green Ky
Countdown til Weasel or Dogs says something about Chappaquiddick: 5, 4, 3, 2......

Smurph --your beginning to retain a bit also aren't you :)

more to the point I call like I se em from either side if you'll remeber with Craig--while the liberal logic crew wents spastic with the toe tapping--but actual sodomizing an 18 year old warrents a life time-party leader designation.

Thats where we differ.

On this joker--let the punishment fit the crime--don't matter to me as usual which party he's affiliated with.

Don't speak out of one side of my mouth with swamp draining rhetoric while letting the "cold Cash" jeffereson fellow with 17 indictments continue to serve--if you catch my drift.;)

smurphy

cartographer
Channel Member
Jul 31, 2004
L.A.
Make no mistake, the Dems have asked the crook Jefferson to step down. But he can't be forced to leave until he is officially found guilty. I'm sure you've conveniently overlooked the things I've said against Jefferson.

....And what is your excuse for Craig still retaining his Senate seat? Seems to run counter to everything you just said.:shrug:

Anyway, the point of this thread is point out another criminal hypocrite who was supposedly "a man of deep faith". God must be pretty pissed off about so many neocons using him/her to f*k over everyone else.

Last edited:

Nosigar

53%
Forum Member
Jul 5, 2000
Florida

Dude, what he fuqk do you want? Liberal mind control shit on everybody? Every dick that's a republican "politico" has to bear the lashing from liberal freaks when he / she fuks up?

The guy is guilty of something, screw him, period!

Instead of protecting or making excuses for every other liberal pervert out there, just condemn the mofo's too.

Not all republicans are conservative (chime in Stevie D who really knows what a real compassionate conservative is). And most dems are liberal freaks (except Sixe Five and a few other nice guys :shrug: ;) ).

:violin: :142crying

Jabberwocky

Forum Member
Mar 3, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
Dude, what he fuqk do you want? Liberal mind control shit on everybody? Every dick that's a republican "politico" has to bear the lashing from liberal freaks when he / she fuks up?

The guy is guilty of something, screw him, period!

Instead of protecting or making excuses for every other liberal pervert out there, just condemn the mofo's too.

Not all republicans are conservative (chime in Stevie D who really knows what a real compassionate conservative is). And most dems are liberal freaks (except Sixe Five and a few other nice guys :shrug: ;) ).

:violin: :142crying

I am trying to find something to respond to, but all I see is idiotic drivel. It has to be tough going through life with a double digit IQ. I feel for you.

Nosigar

53%
Forum Member
Jul 5, 2000
Florida
I am trying to find something to respond to, but all I see is idiotic drivel. It has to be tough going through life with a double digit IQ. I feel for you.

Sure, libby, play the IQ card. What's new?

I know you feel for me. I mean, that's what it's all about. Think I can get on some government social plan to help me on this issue? It ain't my fault I'm illiterate.
And it ain't fair!!!!

Eddie Haskell

Matt 02-12-11
Forum Member
Feb 13, 2001
Cincinnati
aclu.org
This year its about "change". Four years ago it was about "freedom", "terrorism" and "God". I think in 2012 it will be about ___________ .

Maybe Ohio State being 0-12 against the SEC in bowl games? I don't know. Fill in the blank. Politicians of either party will hop on the theme du jour and play it for votes.

Have you noticed how your side has stayed away from Bush like he was an ugly step sister. Dang, I don't think anyone has even mentioned his name in the republican debates.

I mean four years ago, your side was proclaiming this guy as the greatest president in history (next to Ronnie Raygun of course). Kinda fun watching this stuff develop though.

Edward.

ImFeklhr

Raconteur
Forum Member
Oct 3, 2005
San Francisco
This year its about "change". Four years ago it was about "freedom", "terrorism" and "God". I think in 2012 it will be about ___________ .

I miss "compassionate conservativism", and "reformer with results" from 2000.

Good ole' days.

Though not nearly as good as 54?40' or Fight. Now THAT was a slogan.

DOGS THAT BARK

Forum Member
Jul 13, 1999
Bowling Green Ky
Make no mistake, the Dems have asked the crook Jefferson to step down. But he can't be forced to leave until he is officially found guilty. I'm sure you've conveniently overlooked the things I've said against Jefferson.

....And what is your excuse for Craig still retaining his Senate seat? Seems to run counter to everything you just said.:shrug:

Anyway, the point of this thread is point out another criminal hypocrite who was supposedly "a man of deep faith". God must be pretty pissed off about so many neocons using him/her to f*k over everyone else.

Don't know why Craig is still serving as a see ACLU has taken up his case. I'd axed him from the start--but do contend there is a bit of diff on his crime and Jefferson--who is another another attorney with law degree from havard who believes the real money is in politics.

Maybe we can form a team Smurph-- I'll cull the Dem transgressors and you the rebs--would certainly thin out congress :)

SixFive

bonswa
Forum Member
Mar 12, 2001
BG, KY, USA
it is quite pathetic, and that's why Christians shouldn't ever put their spiritual faith in a man. Every man is fallable (not saying they all a closet dick hunters) in some way. I and all Christians have a direct link to God and don't need a mediary or someone to do it for us. Nothing suprises me anymore from any person from any political party or for that matter from any faith.

ImFeklhr

Raconteur
Forum Member
Oct 3, 2005
San Francisco
Nothing suprises me anymore from any person from any political party or for that matter from any faith.

That basically sums it up. 99% of politicians have forgotten that they are public servants, and not demigods. It's so rare that you see a politician not in it for himself. And those types of people are even more prone to scandel, because they have little to no character.

I guess that is human nature, but it seems to be getting worse. :shrug:

Bet on MyBookie