Anyone deer hunt in Iowa?

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg
S

Slink Dawg

I have a late season muzzle loader hunt set up for the first week of January and was wondering how tough the deer hunting was that time of year.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

SixFive

bonswa
Forum Member
Mar 12, 2001
BG, KY, USA
I'm sure it's very tough and cold. Concentrate on food sources in the afternoon and good bedding areas in the mornings.

Is your tag for any sex or antlerless only?

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

kosar

Centrist
Forum Member
Nov 27, 1999
ft myers, fl
Is your tag for any sex or antlerless only?

I have a feeling this guys 'tag' is for sex AND hunting. All in one. Kill two stones with one animal, as it were.

We'll have to wait to hear if he discriminates between antler-full and antler-less.

Whatever the case, I think we all wish him well chasing the elusive snipe in Iowa.

SixFive

bonswa
Forum Member
Mar 12, 2001
BG, KY, USA
I have a feeling this guys 'tag' is for sex AND hunting. All in one. Kill two stones with one animal, as it were.

We'll have to wait to hear if he discriminates between antler-full and antler-less.

Whatever the case, I think we all wish him well chasing the elusive snipe in Iowa.

lame attempt at humor there. Way below your standards, matt.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

kosar

Centrist
Forum Member
Nov 27, 1999
ft myers, fl
lame attempt at humor there. Way below your standards, matt.

Clint, my man, I wouldn't expect you to be fawning over any random hunting 'jokes' that I, or anybody, might throw out there.

It's all good. I hopes he bags the limit. I do.

justin22g

WAR EAGLE!
Forum Member
Sep 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
I have a late season muzzle loader hunt set up for the first week of January and was wondering how tough the deer hunting was that time of year.

I agree with 65... catch them in the morning coming from the bed to a food source.

Do you know the land that well? My guess would be you are going on a paid hunt.

If so, they should get you set up on a good spot if they are a respectable outfit.

I know the deer start rutting around central Bama around that time, but I have no idea about Iowa, I would guess they start rutting in Dec. sometime.

Good luck and I hope you have better luck than me this year. I have been approx 10 times and saw a couple small does, small basket 8 and a couple buttons. The hunting should start heating up around here after Christmas.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

redsfann

ale connoisseur
Forum Member
Aug 3, 1999
Somewhere in Corn Country

Have to imagine it will be a very tough hunt. Plenty of snow on the ground-- below zero temps aren't unusual for that time of year in Iowa--add in some nasty winds that will blow the snow around = tough conditions.

Where in Iowa are you hunting?

S

Slink Dawg

Queer reference was meant for Devil Dave.

Sorry about that Kosar.

SixFive, I have a tag for both buck and doe. It was my first time to enter the Iowa lottery style drawing for a license.

I have been told that I got real lucky to get drawn. I actually got drawn with a friend of mine cause we entered as a hunting group.

I kinda guessed hunting a food source during the post rut will be the only chance of getting a chance at a nice buck.

S

Slink Dawg

Have to imagine it will be a very tough hunt. Plenty of snow on the ground-- below zero temps aren't unusual for that time of year in Iowa--add in some nasty winds that will blow the snow around = tough conditions.

Where in Iowa are you hunting?

I will be hunting near Sperry, Iowa. It's about 80 miles south of Davenport. I will be at some open property leased by Timberghost Ranch.

S

Slink Dawg

I agree with 65... catch them in the morning coming from the bed to a food source.

Do you know the land that well? My guess would be you are going on a paid hunt.

If so, they should get you set up on a good spot if they are a respectable outfit.

I know the deer start rutting around central Bama around that time, but I have no idea about Iowa, I would guess they start rutting in Dec. sometime.

Good luck and I hope you have better luck than me this year. I have been approx 10 times and saw a couple small does, small basket 8 and a couple buttons. The hunting should start heating up around here after Christmas.

What county do you hunt in central Alabama? I have property in Limestone county which is on Tenn line. I also go on a late season hunt in Coosa county every year.

marine

poker brat
Forum Member
Jul 13, 1999
Fort Worth, TX
I dunno about a December rut in Iowa.

I'm in Wisky, and this year the rut was the 2nd-3rd week of November. Gun season sucked @ss up here because it opened after the rut. Granted, Iowa is a lil ways away, but not that far. I can't see the rut happening in Dec.

It's gonna be cold and brutal. Hopefully you have a decent food source/bait pile going and can shoot pretty straight.. cuz its gonna be slim pickings. one shot is all yer getting.

redsfann

ale connoisseur
Forum Member
Aug 3, 1999
Somewhere in Corn Country
I will be hunting near Sperry, Iowa. It's about 80 miles south of Davenport. I will be at some open property leased by Timberghost Ranch.

Sperry is near Burlington if memory serves me, Slinkdog. Not too far from me. Agree with Marine's post--pretty sure the rut has come and gone in Iowa--but I don't hunt deer, just pheasant and other game birds--so don't quote me on that. Dress warm and good luck on your hunt.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg
S

Slink Dawg

Back from Iowa and had 2 missed chances at 150 class deer. Gun snapped on one and had a hang fire twice on the other. Weather was brutal. Two morinings it was 17 degrees with 25 mph wind. We hunted for about 3.5 hours in the mornings and evenings. I saw more deer in the evenings.