Anyone deer hunt in Iowa?

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

SixFive

bonswa
Forum Member
Mar 12, 2001
BG, KY, USA
Back from Iowa and had 2 missed chances at 150 class deer. Gun snapped on one and had a hang fire twice on the other. Weather was brutal. Two morinings it was 17 degrees with 25 mph wind. We hunted for about 3.5 hours in the mornings and evenings. I saw more deer in the evenings.

sounds like you need a new muzzleloader, man! I'd be sick if I missed out on deer like that!

jer-z jock

Blow $$ Fast
Forum Member
Jun 11, 2007
sounds like you need a new muzzleloader, man! I'd be sick if I missed out on deer like that!

Amen.
2 150 class animals--well atleast you were afield to see the sights, would of been nice to see a hero shot though. Midwest hunting--I am so jealous. Hunting Jersey especially lower Jersey where I hunt deer like that just arent caught by the eye but once in a blue moon.... late season doe day comes in tomorrow Jan 10 and I am hoping to pack the freezer, cant eat the horns but I'd damn sure like to get some up on the wall like the 150 you got to see.

redsfann

ale connoisseur
Forum Member
Aug 3, 1999
Somewhere in Corn Country
Back from Iowa and had 2 missed chances at 150 class deer. Gun snapped on one and had a hang fire twice on the other. Weather was brutal. Two morinings it was 17 degrees with 25 mph wind. We hunted for about 3.5 hours in the mornings and evenings. I saw more deer in the evenings.

Sorry you missed out on those 2 nice bucks, Slink. Not too much snow on the ground-- 17 degrees with a 25 MPH wind isn't too bad for Iowa in January..:scared

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

redsfann

ale connoisseur
Forum Member
Aug 3, 1999
Somewhere in Corn Country
Midwest hunting--I am so jealous.

Come on out sometime and take a few for us, jer-z. Not as big a population as there once was, but they are still plentiful.
Most of the larger towns in the state actually have controlled hunts within their city limits every year--that should give you some idea of how many deer there are in Iowa.

A few years ago Iowa City hired a company to cull the herd within its city limits. Some of the wacko tree huggers in town wanted to try and sterilize the bucks so the population would go down--City leaders finally figured out that hiring hunters to do the work and then having all the venison donated to the local food pantries was the way to go....

S

Slink Dawg

My friend that also went on the trip with me had his gun snap on a huge buck at 30 yrds and the next day he shot one at 70 yrds. We tracked it for 1/2 mile and lost blood trail. Thank goodness we had a GPS.
I never thought the hills and hollows of Iowa would be as thick as they were. No wonder the deer are plentiful. They have good cover and have lots of corn fields for feeding.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg