Anyone Know Where I Can Get Boric Acid?

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

KMA

Forum Member
May 25, 2003
If you know where they're coming in, lay a trail of baby power across their path. That stops them from entering and it's much safer than boric acid, especially if you have kids or pets around!!!

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

THE KOD

Registered
Forum Member
Nov 16, 2001
Victory Lane
CH8042

(21)

Boric Acid

[H3BO3] White powder

Used to suppress the reaction of aluminum to water in compositions.
lb. $5.20
$4.78
$4.47
....................................................................................

Looks like its readily available on the internet for purchase.

There is one thing to be aware of with boric acid though..
xx27s.jpg

Last edited:

Chopsticks

Fish Head
Forum Member
Feb 15, 2002
Arlington, TX (But a Missourian at heart)
Thanks for the help fellas, but every year I deal with the same ant problem...They don't get into the house, but they build these huge mounds outside and I don't want my kids getting into them...Little bastards are like roaches, I can't get rid of them!!!!!

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Trossi3389

% MAN !!!!
Forum Member
Aug 5, 2003
rochester ny
Chopsticks said:
Thanks for the help fellas, but every year I deal with the same ant problem...They don't get into the house, but they build these huge mounds outside and I don't want my kids getting into them...Little bastards are like roaches, I can't get rid of them!!!!!

yeah buddy i hear ya,i get them early spring here.... lets put it this way,i get a lot of b.s take-out around that time... the old lady wont go near that kitchen.... good luck bro

Scott4USC

Fight On!
Forum Member
Sep 11, 2002
Here are a few HOMEMADE ANT KILLERS.

In case you cannot find Boric Acid, here are some ant killers.

ANT KILLER

1/2 cup molasses
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup baking yeast

Mix all ingredients together. Place a few drops on pieces of cardobard or index cards, then place wherever ants are coming in.
ANT KILLER

1 or 2 cups of grits
I am from South Georgia, and in the South we have "fire ants." These ants actually inject small amounts of venom into prey, so that's why they hurt so bad when you get bitten by them. This also explains why a lot of people have allergic reactions when they encounter these pests. You could go out and buy expensive ant killers but they are very harmful to children and pets. Instead this method works great. All you need is something you may have in your kitchen: Grits. just take a cup or two of grits and sprinkle them around the ants mound in the yard. When ants see food, they immediately tell everyone in the colony and then start working to feed the colony. An ant's body is made almost entirely of water. Grits are food that soak up water. When an ant eats these grits, his body gets all the water soaked up out of his little body and dies. This is a much better alternative to getting rid of ants in your yard than wasting money on expensive bags of ant killer or bills from your local pest control.

ANT CONTROL

3 cups water
4 teaspoons boric acid
2 cups granulated sugar

Mix, then pour half a cup of the mixture into three or four empty jam jars wrapped with masking tape and loosely packed half full with absorbent cotton. Smear the bait along the outside of the jar and set along ant trail. The ants will swarm into the jar. Some will carry the mixture back to the colony, where it will kill other ants.

CAUTION: If you have small children or pets, screw the lids onto the jars, poke several small holes through the lid and smear some of the bait on the inside of the jar.
ANT BAIT

1 part boric acid
2 parts mint jelly or cracker crumbs

Mix, then place the bait in a container with ant-size holes in the lid. Place away from children because boric acid can be harmful if swallowed. Dispose of the container after use.

The worker ants enter the trap, feed on the poison and carry it back to their nest. Once inside the nest, they feed bits of the poisonous material to the queen and immature ants, and the entire colony is eradicated.

Marco

Forum Member
Nov 29, 2003
Scott.....you are quite the ant assassin....

looking at the second one you listed.....you mean ants don't drink and replenish thier water supply? What if my neighbor leaves beer out? Maybe I should leave some pretzels out there for the ants......

All kidding aside the only problem I've had with insects has been around spring/summer when the crickets come out....they used to park in front of the basement window over my bed and goddamn chirp to no end......swear I'd have ripped off one of thier back legs had I ever caught any of them......my luck two of them would have gotten together just to piss me off....

Next day I went down to the local Menards store and visited an area of the store I normally don't spend much time in.....

Sprinkled some diazinon granules around my window......and around the foundation of the house.....crickets :nono:

Mark + Diazinon = Sleepy time....:)

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Pfrad

Forum Member
Jan 19, 2003
Hamilton Ontario
Boric Acid

you can get this at a store that sells eye wash cause thats what its comonly used for....

good Luck KillER

gardenweasel

el guapo
Forum Member
Jan 10, 2002
"the bunker"
have the same problem every year

have the same problem every year

somebody mentioned putting "dryer sheets" across the threshhold.....if there are no gaps,this does discourage them a bit....won`t solve the problem....and you`ll have to keep using fresh sheets every week or so...

i`m in training right now for the inevitable battle that is coming shortly....

thanks for the info...

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

IntenseOperator

DeweyOxburger
Forum Member
Sep 16, 2003
Chicago
My friend owns an exterminating service....

He said boric acid isn't affective.

drione

It is a heavy duty white powder that can only be purchased wholesale by those with a license in the business. You can mix it with sugar and the little beasties take it back to the rest of their crew, wiping them out.

Bobmac

Forum Member
Sep 5, 2002
Chopsticks, just go to the local supermarket and get a box of BORAX in the laundry detergent aisle for 3 bucks, I used this last year and it worked to perfection. I did a search on YAHOO of "how to get rid of ants" and there were numerous suggestions, I chose this one and had no complaints. ;)

IntenseOperator

DeweyOxburger
Forum Member
Sep 16, 2003
Chicago
Chop

from what he told me....

You would have to talk to someone that can point you into the direction of a wholesale supplier for exterminators. That is the only way you might be able to get it, with the necessary license, unless someone else here has some other advice on how to get it.

DOGS THAT BARK

Forum Member
Jul 13, 1999
Bowling Green Ky
Chops I got something that will take care of them if you need it.
Had problem and got these little square disc that have something like peanut butter in them made especially for the job. They are child and animal proof. Did great and have several left if you want them. Go to webpage in profile and shoot me address and I'll ship em to you.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

ocelot

Forum Member
May 21, 2003
Mount Shasta
I prefer laying out some food in the center of the patio (they can't resist freebees), wait 1 hour, come back, put on my smooth soled stompin boots, start at the edge of the patio where the ant line comes out of the grass and start smashin up the line all the way to the bait. Reminds me of the Bagdad Highway back in good ole Desert Storm :D

Also like to get the neighborhood kids involved. I pay em a nickel a pound for fireants.