Anyone recommend a good sipping Tequila?

Penguinfan

Thread banned
Forum Member
Dec 5, 2001
Vanished into vortex
Let me preface this by saying I am among those who believe Tequila is just a "get as fucked up as possible as fast as possible" kind of drink. If you really want a sipping Tequila then you can't go wrong with Patron. You probably need to move to their higher end stuff for a real sipping Tequila.

If you want to spend a little less, Milargo is pretty good, but don't get the fancy bottle, just get the Silver.

I think Tequila is one of those rare alcohols where you can taste the difference in price. I'm not gonna try to fool anyone, whiskey, for the most part, is whiskey to me. I prefer Scotch and can only taste a slight difference between Johnnie Walker Black and JW Blue. Others will argue the taste isn't even close.

On the other hand, I can taste cheap Tequila vs good Tequila with pretty good accuracy as cheap Tequila can be awful. Some can be decent, though.

Dr Feelgood

StonedPimp
Forum Member
Feb 3, 2001
Las Vegas
I am a big fan of a couple....Tequila is my FAVORITE spirit. My drink of choice is 1800 coconut with soda water and a splash of REAL Lime juice (not the plastic bottle squeeze/Key lime concentrate/or even the real stuff---it's gotta be Santa Cruz 100% real lime juice)---I drink that A LOT

But sippers...

Don Julio Anejo
Casamigos
Herradura Reposado

just add a few cubes of ice....

T

Registered
Forum Member
Sep 1, 2012
I realize everyone's tastes are different, just getting opinions. I never really cared for the hard biting stuff followed by the lime and salt....:popcorn2

www.cabowabo.com

This stuff is so damn good and priced right. Sammy Hagar developed these award winning tequilas for everyone to be able to afford damn good tequila!

no pepper

OUTSIDE NOW!
Forum Member
Aug 8, 2000
St. Louis
Went to a Tequila seminar in Mexico last summer and they had nothing good to say about Patron. They said it is overpriced and contains flavorings -- vanilla, coffee -- to make it easier to drink for people who can't handle tequila shots. They said that Patron's marketing campaign creates a perception that it's a top-shelf liquor; it's super expensive, so it must be good!

They also said it is not smart to do the lime and salt thing because of the way it reacts in your stomach.

One of the recommended brands was 1800: amber is best for shots, clear for mixing margaritas.

cheers!

yyz

Under .500
Forum Member
Mar 16, 2000
On the course!
One of the recommended brands was 1800: amber is best for shots, clear for mixing margaritas.

cheers!

Fuck that shit!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/6TS3JbW9BMM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

DZ

Urban Achiever
Forum Member
Oct 22, 2009
310/917
Corzo

Corzo

corzo-290x290.jpg

This stuff is delicious. Especially the Anejo. Perfect for sipping.

DZ

Urban Achiever
Forum Member
Oct 22, 2009
310/917
Partida

Partida

partida_lineup.png

This is also incredible. My favorite for sipping is the Reposado, but the Blanco also makes a top notch margarita if you are going high end. Also, very smooth as a shot.

DZ

Urban Achiever
Forum Member
Oct 22, 2009
310/917
I am a big fan of a couple....Tequila is my FAVORITE spirit. My drink of choice is 1800 coconut with soda water and a splash of REAL Lime juice (not the plastic bottle squeeze/Key lime concentrate/or even the real stuff---it's gotta be Santa Cruz 100% real lime juice)---I drink that A LOT

But sippers...

Don Julio Anejo
Casamigos
Herradura Reposado

I second the herradura. Slightly cheaper than the ones I listed above but also very good. Still, my favorites are Corzo and Partida in that order.

Some other silvers I'd recommend are Casamigos, Milagro Silver Reserva and Casa Noble.

Morris

Tent Maker
Forum Member
Aug 23, 2002
Above the Clouds....
If you ever get to Mexico ask one of the guys that are in the shops there for homemade tequila. Far better than you can buy in the states. We brought home a soda bottle of the homemade tequila and compared it to Patron. Everyone preferred the homemade tequila except one.

SoCalYo

Forum Member
Sep 7, 2004
San Diego
A good tequila wont fuck you up.

Don Julio Reposado and Ańejo are my favorites. Don Julio 1942 is the best/smoothest one i've ever had.

1800 is for getting f'd up and should only be used in Margaritas not a sipping tequila.

MadJack

Administrator
Staff member
Forum Admin
Super Moderators
Channel Owner
Jul 13, 1999
home

But sippers...

Don Julio Anejo
Casamigos
Herradura Reposado

Went to a Tequila seminar in Mexico last summer and they had nothing good to say about Patron. They said it is overpriced and contains flavorings -- vanilla, coffee -- to make it easier to drink for people who can't handle tequila shots. They said that Patron's marketing campaign creates a perception that it's a top-shelf liquor; it's super expensive, so it must be good!

They also said it is not smart to do the lime and salt thing because of the way it reacts in your stomach.

cheers!
Thanks! :0074

MadJack

Administrator
Staff member
Forum Admin
Super Moderators
Channel Owner
Jul 13, 1999
home
Fuck that shit!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/6TS3JbW9BMM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

HOLY SHIT!

MadJack

Administrator
Staff member
Forum Admin
Super Moderators
Channel Owner
Jul 13, 1999
home
Good thread. I have other people to thank but no time now. :0008

ryson

Capitalist
Forum Member
Dec 22, 2001
IAH
A good tequila wont fuck you up.

Don Julio Reposado and Ańejo are my favorites. Don Julio 1942 is the best/smoothest one i've ever had.

1800 is for getting f'd up and should only be used in Margaritas not a sipping tequila.

Agree with SoCalYo, big fan of Don Julio. @SoCalYo have you tried Don Julio Setenta? If not give it a shot, it's money. For what it's worth:

Don Julio Setenta
Clase Azul Reposado
Canicas A?ejo

SoCalYo

Forum Member
Sep 7, 2004
San Diego
Agree with SoCalYo, big fan of Don Julio. @SoCalYo have you tried Don Julio Setenta? If not give it a shot, it's money. For what it's worth:

Don Julio Setenta
Clase Azul Reposado
Canicas A?ejo

Yes I have tried it. That's also a good one but I prefer the richer/smoother flavor of the reposado/a?ejos a bit more.

Bet on MyBookie