ATTN: DogsThatBark (on Panama)

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

The Judge

Pura Vida!
Forum Member
Aug 5, 2004
SJO
Wayne, you have asked me on several occasions to comment on my findings in Panama regarding retirement benefits and investment opportunities. Unfortunately, I have procrastinated answering you due mainly to the fact that I am only now sorting out what is the truth over the many rosy pictures that have been painted as it applies to life here.

I still have not completely finished my research but will use this thread to post occasional updates on information as I find it. For starters, here is an article from PanamaRealtor.com which does a very nice job of putting some things into perspective.

I will say that the opportunities here are abundant and that Panama is very friendly toward investment from foreigners as well as being quite liberal in their immigration policies as long as you have money. If you have any specific questions that might be easier to discuss over the phone, please feel free to get my phone number from Jack.

Report on Panama as 2008 Draws to a Close

Here are a few facts and figures drawn from responsible sources, both public and private, over the last month regarding the economy of Panama. This is my short list, having dropped a dozen items to keep the length within reason. In a sentence or two, they summarize a much longer report. Some are very different indicators than others, but they all are pieces of the big picture.

* Second quarter growth in Panama's GDP (the economy) measured 10.1 percent, ensuring that Panama keeps its place as one of the fastest developing economies in the world. This is also an increase from the first quarter's 8.4%, thus indicating that growth was actually accelerating in Panama, not slowing, during the first half of 2008. The latest figures through the first eight months of the year indicate an overall 9.2% rate for the year so far.
* The construction industry recorded a growth of 59.2% between January and July of 2008, compared with the same period last year.
* Panamanian exports in the first eight months of the year rose 9.9 percent over the same period in 2007.
* Foreign direct investment (FDI) in Panama in the first half of the year reached US$1.1 billion, reflecting an increase of 32.8% over the same period in 2007.
* The country?s financial authorities have downgraded the potential affects to the domestic economy posed by the calamitous fiscal situation in the United States. For example, only 0.3 percent (three-tenths of one percent) of the assets at the government's development funds ?could be affected by the events of the recent financial crisis in the United States.?
* The Colon Free Zone (the largest in the Western Hemisphere and second-largest in the world, following Hong Kong) registered an increase of 12.1% in business for the first nine months of the year, compared to the same period of 2007. The Zone's association attributed the growth to the above-average performance of Latin American economies.
* The Panamanian port system handled 2.9 million shipping containers during the first eight months of the year, representing a 14.2 percent increase from the same period in 2007.
* As of my preparation of this commentary, the Dow Jones Industrial average is down 37% so far this year while the S&P 500 has lost 40% and the Nasdaq 41%. In the U.K., the FTSE 100 is off 40%, the French CAC 40 is down 43%, and the German DAX 47%. In Japan, the Nikkei 225 has dropped 50%. The large emerging markets have suffered huge declines, with Russian stocks down 76%, Brazil off 50% and China down 65%. What about Panama's stock market? We are down 2% this year, 4.8% off our high.

In terms of Panama's attraction to foreigners
* The number of tourists who went to Panama in the first half of the year increased 23.9% over the same period in 2007 and tourist expenditures rose 21.5%. The biggest increase in arrivals has been from Europe (54%) and the U.S. (19.9%).
* At least 12 global hotel chains will be arriving in Panama. Among the companies planning to establish hotels in the country include Hyatt, Westin, Super Clubs Breezes Resort, Hard Rock, Renaissance, Hilton, Marriott Residence Inn, Four Seasons, Nation Hotels, Le Meridien, W Hotels Worldwide and Candlewood.
* KLM has increased its flights from Amsterdam from three a week to five. Iberian Airlines is increasing from three to four weekly flights in December. Both increases are due to 80-90% of current seats being sold and rising European demand.

There is more, but the point is simple. We are doing quite well, very well indeed.

This has come as a surprise to nearly everyone, including me. I was ready to hear that business at the free trade zone, an important indicator of business conditions in the region as a whole, had fallen, not risen 12%. I did not expect tourist numbers to fall in general because I recognize the growth in Latin American visitors, but I did not expect American visitors to increase by nearly 20%. I would not have been surprised if the GDP growth rate had fallen at least to a 7-8% annual rate, but I did not expect it to remain above 9%. Although I had long expected an increase in European interest in Panama, KLM and Iberian made their separate decisions to increase flights to Panama at the time that fuel prices were near their recent highs. These days, airlines do not add expensive "long haul" flights to their schedules unless they are very, very confident that the demand is there.

One of the more amusing things to watch over the last year, if "amusing" is the right term, has been the long series of articles in every publication in Panama discussing the likely negative effects of the North's financial crisis on Panama. We have been warned over and over again, "It's coming! It's coming!" Those articles still appear once in awhile, but the sense of urgency is fading quickly.

So is Panama Finally "Paradise", Like the Ads Say?
Nonsense, of course not. Panama has plenty of challenges to deal with in coming years, as every human society. Despite a recent independent survey finding a dramatic drop in poverty, this is still a problem that needs to be continuously addressed in Panama. Inflation has reached high levels by Panamanian standards, touching 10% last month. Although that is not unusual in today's world, Nicaragua hit 24% for example, and although we are seeing a very dramatic fall in gasoline prices now, Panama enjoyed a couple decades of inflation at 2% or less so this has been quite shocking for them. The increase, particularly in food prices now that fuel prices are falling, has strained lower and middle class budgets.

Although the construction of infrastructure has been impressive in recent years, we clearly need a great deal more attention paid to the public educational system. The public health system has plenty of needs to be addressed, especially in the rural areas. Although the evidence available indicates that crime here is nowhere near as serious a problem as in Central America, Mexico, and many other nations, we are still concerned about any increase here. Panamanians are very much aware of the cartels in Colombia. We salute their government for the progress it has made in reducing the cartels' power, but we have to always keep an eye on those Colombian criminals who show up in Panama.

Panama has plenty of real problems that Panamanians need to work on, but they are generating the income to do it and a growing respect from others for the progress they have already made. They are moving forward as best as can be expected from a human society and a democracy. I believe that if you look at global history with any objectivity, you will find that every nation that we consider to be a "success" is a nation that took many decades of "two steps forward and one step back" to get where it is today. The critical factor is the direction taken. I would not trade Panama's direction for that found in any North American or European nation today.

Okay, so Why is Panama Doing so Well?
There are too many reasons to list here, but I will mention three of them.

1) Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) is exactly what it says it is. It is the total amount of money that foreigners invest in a nation. FDI is extremely important to a nation's development. It is "extra" money from outside that the nation could not create by itself.

China is one of the largest recipients of FDI in the world. A reasonable estimate of China's FDI this year is $90 billion. A reasonable estimate for Panama's FDI this year is $2.2 billion. In other words, China can expect to get 41 times more foreign investment than Panama. If you see a table of FDI around the world, China is always listed separately because its number is so huge. Panama is usually not listed separately because its number is so small. Typically, Panama will be included in "Other Latin America".

But China has to take care of 1.33 billion people while Panama needs only to deal with 3.3 million people. China has 400 times as many people. On a per capita basis, China's FDI works out to roughly $68 per person while Panama's FDI works out to roughly $667 per person, nearly ten times as much.

Think of it this way. Suppose you bought a ticket for the lottery and won a million dollars. You would be a millionaire! But if you shared that ticket with 400 people, you would only get $2500. Who would you rather be?

We are a small nation and that is a great blessing. A billion dollars is a billion dollars anywhere in the world, but it has far more impact here than it does in China or most nations.

2) Panama has an extremely conservative banking system, certainly in comparison to those found in North America and Europe. As I have mentioned elsewhere at the site, if a Panamanian wants a home mortgage, they have to provide a minimum 20% down payment. A foreigner has to provide 30%. In addition, the borrower will go through a very intense financial background check. It can take two months, sometimes three, before a mortgage is approved.

As a result of that and more, Panamanians and foreigners alike used to complain to me constantly that Panama's banks were "too strict". I do not hear that now. As I have also said elsewhere at this site, if North American and European banks had been half as conservative as Panamanian banks, there would have been few, if any, "sub-prime" loans up north and today's financial crisis would be far less severe than it is. They were not, and their depositors and taxpayers (many of them RW members) are suffering for lack of that discretion. Panama is benefitting from it.

3) Another thing I have written elsewhere, Panama is becoming the "Switzerland" of Latin America. Through August of this year, foreigners have put more than $12 billion (more than $3600 per capita) into Panama's banking system, 65% of that from other Latin American nations and the Caribbean. Venezuelans alone have deposited one and a half billion dollars. Can you guess who is right behind them? It is Ecuador whose citizens have deposited nearly $1.4 billion. Why? Ecuador's private banking system and central bank are in danger of being taken over by the government. Fearing the loss of their money, out it goes.

Panama may have its problems, but if you take a careful look at other Latin American nations, you will soon realize how well off we are. From Mexico to Argentina, other nations are facing all sorts of social, political, and economic problems, some of them very scary. Panama is an island of security and stability in the region and, as mentioned above, its banking system is solid and very, very attractive to others.

For decades, Latin Americans moved their money out of their nations to a safe location when they faced conflict at home. There is nothing new to that. But before, that money flowed into American banks, especially in Miami. Today, it flows into Panamanian banks.

I cannot predict the future, but current trends suggest that there are plenty of Latin American nations that face and will continue to face economic and political shocks in coming months and years. While that gets sorted out, our banks, our real estate sector, and our retail business sector are more than happy to help them protect and spend their money.

Just a Minute! Isn't This Supposed to be a Real Estate Commentary?
A real estate market anywhere does not exist in a vacuum. You must always consider the total context. Given the large number of emails I have received asking about the "context", this commentary has dealt with that subject in greater detail. I have done my best to provide you with a statistical overview.

Unfortunately, we have very few statistics for real estate specifically. I cannot tell you how many homes of a certain value were sold in August of this year compared to August of last year, as just one of many examples. When you start talking about the real estate market in Panama, you enter the area of conjecture (conjetura in Spanish). Conjecture is based only partially on statistical data and only if you take the trouble to collect it which many people do not. It is also dependent on anecdotal information (individual stories people tell) and guesswork.

Please keep in mind that my reflections below are conjecture. The statistics are above. What follows is based on anecdotal information and guesswork.

* Real estate prices are "mixed". Unlike a couple years ago when prices were generally rising, some local markets are rising, some are falling back, and many are relatively unchanged. Gone are the days when you could easily delude yourself into thinking you could buy anything, anywhere, and make big money reselling in a year or two. That was always an illusion, but it happened often enough to be a factor in many people's thinking.
* Prices tend to be weakest in areas that primarily attract English-speaking people from North America and the UK. This may be particularly felt in areas like Boquete, Volcan, and Bocas del Toro in the far west of Panama. Prices tend to be strongest in areas that primarily attract Spanish-speaking people from elsewhere in Latin America. They tend to buy in the Panama City area.
* The number of Canadians and Europeans buying properties has greatly increased in the last couple years as a result of the US dollar's collapse against their currencies. The US dollar has risen sharply against these currencies in recent months and that may reduce Canadian and European demand until exchange rates shift again.
* Some English-speakers who live here have found it harder to sell their properties than they expected. In almost all such cases brought to my attention, when I ask them if they have taken out a classified ad in La Prensa or one of the other local newspapers, they say, "No." They do not think that many Panamanians could afford their homes. Well, there are Panamanians who could, but that is not my primary point. Just as I would do if I arrived in Toronto or London looking for a home, people from Spanish-speaking countries looking for a home pick up a local paper to check the classified ads. By ignoring the Spanish-language press, many English-speakers are also ignoring not only the Panamanian market, but the great majority of the Latin American market as well. In Panama, that is a mistake.
* Quite a few Latin American nations (Mexico, Venezuela, Bolivia, Ecuador, Argentina and others) are facing serious political and socio-economic problems that could get much worse. The influx of money and people from these nations will likely continue as long as this is the case and could accelerate if things get worse in their home nations. Unfortunately for them, that is a real possibility and thus a major factor in our real estate market as well as our banking system.
* New real estate developments have opened across Panama in recent years, thus older developments are finding that competition affects sales. For example, there was a day when Altos del Maria sat in lonely splendor in the mountains near the village of Sor?. Today, Bavaria is just down the road. Where that has happened, prices may flatten or be depressed in the older development.
* Not just developments, but new areas have opened to expatriate interest in recent years. A prime example is the Azuero peninsula (that "hump" that sticks out into the Pacific Ocean in central Panama). In past years, most expatriates wanted to be within two hours driving distance from Panama City. Now, more and more are willing to go three, four, or five hours in search of a more rural atmosphere, good surfing, beaches, and so forth. This has had its impact on some of the older developed areas as well.
* Some Americans are unable to close on their new purchases in Panama because they cannot sell their old homes in the US. No question about it, this is a problem that we rarely had two or three years ago. For sellers who focus their efforts on the American retiree market, this is making their lives more difficult.
* Local banks have limited their mortgage exposure to no more than $1500 per square meter. Sometimes they may go a little higher, but not much and only if the borrower is in excellent financial shape. So if you are buying a fancy condo on the bay in Panama City that costs $3000 per square meter and you need a mortgage to buy it, you have to come up with half or nearly half the purchase price yourself, then qualify for the mortgage for the remainder. This has been the case for quite awhile now and is not a result of the global financial crisis. This is just another example of our very conservative banking system and it also has had a dampening effect on high-end sales.
* Although banks in Panama are very liquid, they are tightening their requirements for real estate developers. They have plenty of foreign clients for their money who are very solid, but cannot get loans from their own banks. Panama's banks are in an excellent position to be demanding and they are taking advantage of that. They are even tightening their requirements for projects they have already agreed to finance. We can expect weaker developers to lose their project financing or never start their projects at all. Even some stronger developers are pulling back and reconsidering. If this continues, this will reduce supply, so demand will have to fall equally or prices will rise.
* Unnoticed by many expatriates here, quite a few major global corporations have moved their regional offices to Panama City, some bringing hundreds of professionals with them (800 in one case alone, I am told), nearly all of whom will need housing. They are predominantly Latin Americans and Spanish-speaking, so they are not noticeable as "expatriates" to English-speakers, but that is exactly what they are and they have money. They bring their families with them. This not only reduces the percentage of expatriates who come from North America and Europe, it also reduces the percentage who are retirees, further underlining what I have said frequently - this real estate market is not just about Americans and retirees.
* Expatriates expecting to make 20% a year in property appreciation in Panama are fewer than ever, but those remaining are likely to be very disappointed. Expatriates expecting real estate values to crash 40% in Panama any time soon are also likely to be very disappointed. Both groups have existed for years and both exist now. Both are very vocal, but they generally offer opinions based on "what should happen" rather than analysis on "what is happening".
* Always keep in mind that the Panama real estate market, like any other, is highly segmented. At any given point in time, some segments will be hurting while other segments will be doing just fine. Focusing on only one or two segments guarantees a distorted analysis.

The above list is a "mixed bag" of different factors, some positive and some negative for real estate values in Panama. Taken together and seen within the greater context of Panama's economic growth, the result demonstrates more positives than negatives and greater stability than is found in the majority of nations today. But different people are in different circumstances. Whether the result is positive or negative for you is something only you can determine.

In Summation
Pick up any newspaper. Visit any news website. It is impossible to ignore that much of the world is in the midst of a true financial crisis, the worst since the depression of the 1930's. It is not a question of anecdotes; there is a tidal wave of statistics indicating how serious this situation is. It is perfectly reasonable to expect people from outside Panama to assume that Panama is experiencing the same disaster. We are not.

Is there anything mystical or magical about this? No. Is Panama immune from any effects of this crisis? No. Will Panama eventually feel the impact? Probably, but we will be starting from a stronger position and a higher level of economic activity than nearly all other nations. Whatever happens, one thing is very clear at the moment. If you follow the Spanish-language financial news at Capital Finaciero, La Prensa and its Martes Financiero, Panama Americ? and its Calle 50, Mike Magallon's economic analyses at Vamaga and a host of other sources (and you have to, if you want to do a decent analysis), you will find piles of statistics and analyses that demonstrate that Panama has yet to be hit by this crisis and, in some respects, is actually benefitting.

Who among us would have thought a year or two ago that keeping your money in a Certificate of Deposit or a money market account earning 2 or 3% interest would be far, far more lucrative than investing in stocks, so-called "First World" real estate, gold, oil, or a bet against the US dollar? Very, very few. Who among us would have predicted a year or two ago that, if there was a global financial crisis, a nation like Iceland would be devastated while a nation like Panama would not. Very, very few. Beware the predictions of others. Listen to them, but always do your own analysis.

I do my best within my many limitations to share my reflections, observations, and statistics on Panama. I suspect some of you think I am an incurable optimist when it comes to Panama. I am not. When the facts change, my analysis will change, regardless of my emotional outlook. For the moment, I am much more concerned for my many friends and members in the north than I am for my friends and members here in Panama.

Last edited:

The Judge

Pura Vida!
Forum Member
Aug 5, 2004
SJO
Panama is paradise for retirees

Cheap real estate, a low cost of living, fabulous scenery and relaxed pace should put this gem at the top of the list for Americans on a fixed income.

MSNMoney

Panama is one of the best places in the world for retirees today, combining a low cost of living, near-perfect weather and one of the world's best discount programs for retirees, with up to 50% off everything from public transport to movies, mortgage rates, doctor's visits, electricity, restaurants and airfares.

When you compare Panama with its neighbors, you'll see that it has more amenities than traditional retirement spots such as Mexico and Costa Rica, with lower costs and crime rates. In Panama, you'll encounter less red tape and less interference from local authorities.

To encourage long-term foreign investment, Panama requires no special authorizations, permits or prior registration for foreign investors. The Investment Stability Law, passed in 1998, protects foreign investors from any change in tax, customs, municipal and labor rules for a period of 10 years after an investment is registered. Major companies doing business in Panama include Federal Express, DHL, Sears, Price Costco, BellSouth, Kansas City Southern Railways, Continental and American Airlines, Warranty Company of the Americas and Hutchison Whampoa. Plus, you'll find just about every American franchise you can imagine on the streets of Panama City.

And there are other incentives for foreigners to spend time here, invest here ? or retire here. For example:

Newcomers who buy or build a new house won't owe any property taxes for 20 years.

Residents pay no taxes on foreign-earned income.

Tourism investments have 20-year exemptions from import duties, fees for construction materials and equipment, and income, real estate and other taxes.

The U.S. dollar is legal tender in Panama, which insulates its economy from global shocks. During the Asian monetary crisis of 1998, Panama became one of the healthiest economies in Latin America.

Panama's pensionado program
Once you become a resident "pensioner" of Panama under the Tourist Pensionado Visa, you are eligible for the most appealing program of benefits for retirees available anywhere in the world right now.

Now, you may be thinking: "Pensioner? Retiree? That leaves me out."
Not necessarily. The rules for becoming a "pensioner" and qualifying for this visa program in Panama are probably not what you'd expect.

In fact, anyone over the age of 18 may apply and can qualify as a pensionado in Panama. All you need is a guaranteed pension income of $500 per month ($600 for a couple). It must be a pension from a government agency (e.g. Social Security, disability, armed forces, etc.) or a defined-benefit pension from a private company. Sorry, but an immediate, fixed annuity doesn't qualify.

As a qualified pensioner in Panama, you would be entitled to:
? 50% off entertainment anywhere in the country (movies, theaters, concerts, sporting events, etc.)
? 30% off bus, boat, and train fares
? 25% off airline tickets
? 50% off hotel stays Monday through Thursday, 30% off Friday through Sunday
? 25% off restaurant meals
? 15% off at fast-food restaurants
? 15% off hospital bills (if no insurance applies)
? 10% off prescription medicines
? 20% off doctors' consultations
? 15% off dental and eye exams
? 20% off professional and technical services
? 50% off closing costs for home loans and more

Crossroads of the Americas
Panama is also perhaps the most accessible retirement haven for Americans.

There is a frequent nonstop service to Panama City's Tocumen International Airport. It's a 2?-hour flight from Miami on American Airlines and COPA, Panama's national airline, which also flies from Los Angeles and Orlando, Fla. Continental flies from Houston, and Delta flies from Atlanta. Aeroperlas and Mapiex Aero are two domestic carriers that offer daily flights throughout Panama.

Beware, however, that as accessible as Panama is to the U.S., it's still a foreign country. There are certain cultural differences that you can either accept and embrace . . . or try to ignore and become miserable and frustrated.

Time moves at a more leisurely pace in Panama. A one-hour wait might mean two, and a simple meal out with friends can turn into dancing "tipico" at a local disco until five in the morning. It takes a certain disposition not to lose your cool when, for example -- and this happened to a friend living in Panama City -- the computer repair man phones to say he is estoy llegando (on his way over to your house), only to arrive two days later without explanation . . . but ready to work.

Cost of living
Panama has one of the lowest costs of living in all Central and South America: A U.S.-style home can be built for about $40 per square foot; unskilled labor costs $6.40 per day; a full-time live-in maid costs $120 to $160 a month; a beer at a bar costs 35 cents; a cup of coffee, 30 cents; a haircut and shave can cost as little as $2; an afternoon at a beauty salon is $8; electricity is about 10 cents per kilowatt-hour; water bills are $18 per year; telephone service costs roughly $30 a month; Internet access is $14 a month; wireless is available for a bit more; cellular-telephone service costs about $30 a month plus a per-minute charge of around 22 cents; and cable TV will cost you about $30 a month.

As a foreign resident, if you buy or build a new house, you won't pay property taxes for 20 years, nor will you pay taxes on foreign-earned income. Personal income tax is based on a sliding scale from a minimum of 4% to a maximum of 30%. A Value Added Tax of 5% to 10% is charged on most products and services. Transfer taxes on real estate are paid by the seller, and there is no inheritance tax or gift tax.

Mountains, beaches or the big city?
The three best places to buy real estate in Panama are: the mountains of Boquete, the beaches of the Pearl Islands, and the First World metropolis of Panama City.

Boquete: Boquete sits in Panama's mountainous Chiriqui region at an elevation of about 3,500 feet. It's quiet, unspoiled, uncrowded. Mountains, rivers, waterfalls. Lush green hills and great masses of red and purple flowers. This is coffee country, and in harvest season the Indians come down from the hills to find work. The men call and sing to each other as they pick. Their children run through the fields and play in the streams.

The climate in Boquete is ideal, spring like year-round with reasonable daytime temperatures, cool breezes, and chilly nights. Beachfront living is nice, but the mountains of Boquete are hard to beat. If you like Colorado, you'll love Boquete.
Three-bedroom custom-built houses start at $138,000 and ocean-view lots are under $30,000.

Pearl Islands: If you're searching for sand and sun, Panama has that in abundance.

The island of Contadora, the seventh biggest of the 90 named islands in the Pearl Islands archipelago, is in the Bay of Panama, just off the coast of Panama City.

This is the stuff of travel-magazine cover photos: turquoise waters, 13 white-sand beaches, secluded coves, bright red and yellow fishing boats, swaying palm and cashew trees, giant coral reefs, coconuts, mangoes, parrots, hummingbirds, pelicans, sea turtles and bright tropical flowers . . . with occasional sightings of gray and orca whales just off the island's shores.

Today the island is a closely guarded secret playground for wealthy and famous political leaders, writers, entertainers and businessmen -- not just from Panama but from all over the world.

Renovated beachfront villas start at $160,000.

Panama City: Panama City is probably the least expensive place in the world to live in a First World city. Here you'll find world-class restaurants, every imaginable luxury, hundreds of multinational businesses . . . all at about half the price you'd pay in Miami, or any other U.S. city for that matter.

Furnished studios start at less than $60,000, beachfront condos from $77,000. A two-bedroom, 1,300-square-foot apartment in the banking district in a building with a pool and gym costs around $150,000. A two-bedroom apartment with views of the bay and maid's quarters costs $160,000 (and rents for $1,100 per month).

By Kathleen Peddicord, International Living

The Judge

Pura Vida!
Forum Member
Aug 5, 2004
SJO
Retiring In Panama

ExPatForum.com

A New Life in Panama
Panama welcomes expatriate retirees with open arms. It offers the Pensionado Program, a neat package of the best incentives for retirees in the whole wide world. You don?t have to be sixty to qualify. You can be 19 years old. All you need to do is show that you have a monthly pension of $500 plus $100 per dependent to qualify for the program. You are also qualified to receive most of the benefits of the Pensionado Program if you are a female foreign resident who is at least 55 years old or a male foreign resident who is at least 60 years old. The benefits include but are not limited to the following:

* Tax free importation of household goods when you finally make the move to Panama and tax free importation of a new car every other year
* Discounts ranging from one to 50 percent on utility bills, airline tickets, loans, home mortgages, medicine, professional and technical services, dental and eye exams, and numerous other items.

Panama?s starts with the Pensionado Program but doesn?t end there. That is the reason why it is presently considered by many to be the world?s leading retirement destination.

Climate in Panama
The temperature is relatively constant in Panama. Panama City is warm and humid during the day but it is cooler at dawn and in the evenings. It is also cooler at areas in higher elevations. Air conditioning is used widely in Panama City. Temperatures range from 32 degrees C during daytime to 21 degrees C at night. The rainy season is fairly short, from October to November. From December to March the weather is generally cool and dry.

Government in Panama

The strategic value of the Panama Canal has brought both benefits and disadvantages to the people of Panama. The U.S. has made its presence felt in the country, especially in the 1989 U.S. invasion that brought down Panama?s president, General Manuel Noriega. In 2004, Martin Torrijos was elected president, with a program to enlarge the Panama Canal staring in 2008 and to strengthen the country?s economy through the Colon free trade zone. The U.S. remains Panama?s leading trading partner and user of the Canal. U.S. bases also contribute $250 M a year to Panama?s economy. In 2006 the U.S. and Panama inked a free trade agreement. A section of Panama?s population have long protested the strong U.S. influence and occasional intervention in the country?s internal affairs.

Medical Care in Panama
Panama offers expatriates high quality medical care delivered by U.S.-trained doctors and other health professionals at half what it would cost them in the U.S. A patient can avail of world-class hospitals, medical treatment, and medications in what is considered the safest city in the Americas. Even tap water in Panama is considered safe to drink. Finally health professionals in Panama are known for their empathy and tact in dealing with doctor-patient relations.

Tax System in Panama
Expatriates who are Panama residents do not have to pay taxes on income earned outside the country and do not have to pay property taxes for 20 years after you purchase or build your home. Personal income tax ranges from 4 to 30 percent. A five to ten percent VAT is imposed on most products and services. The seller pays transfer taxes on real estate. No inheritance or gift tax is collected by government.

Real Estate in Panama
Foreigners and Panama?s citizens enjoy the same rights and protections in buying and owning property. There are no legal barriers to an expatriate who wants to buy a house or apartment for his residence or for investment purposes. In addition, the country?s Public Registry is mandated to show proof of ownership and clear title to property.

In Panama City, there are well appointed apartments with an ocean setting and available in various prices to suit your budget and needs. The city is also undergoing a construction boom, featuring new office buildings, hotels and condominiums. Rental property in the cooler mountainous areas is highly prized and has real advantages as investments. Real estate can vary in price from less than one dollar per square meter in less accessible areas to areas closer to town costing $10 to $100 per square meter. Construction costs are less than in the U.S.

The Boquete Mountains, the Pearl Islands beaches and Panama City itself are considered to be the prime areas for real estate. The Boquete Mountains are famed for their cool weather and unspoiled beauty while the Pearl Islands are noted for their clear water, white sand beaches, coral formations, and all the other ingredients of nature at its best.

Shopping in Panama
You can avail of duty free high-end goods in Panama and save at least a third of what they would ordinarily cost. Various malls have risen in the past years, offering great bargains in jewelry, clothes, handicrafts, perfume, art and antiques, and even custom made wooden doors. Jewelry includes copies of the pre-Columbian gold and silver ornaments as well as orchids, seashells and other objects of nature. You can also buy emeralds as loose stones or ready-made jewelry or you can have your own design executed by talented artisans. Panama is also known for quality leather goods, rugs, lamps, crystal, porcelain, woven baskets, and the like. Ibiza is a well-known chain that offers various lines of fragrances
Cost of Living in Panama

You can live in Panama for a fraction of the cost in the U.S. and Europe. You pay 10-12 cents per kilowatt-hour of electricity. You pay only $18 A YEAR for water. Your trash will be collected for $7 a month. Fruits, meat, vegetables, eggs and other food items produced locally are much cheaper. You pay 30 cents for a can of local beer and the same amount for a cup of coffee. Housemaids and other help are paid less than a dollar an hour. You can build a home in Panama for about $40 per square foot. Once upon a time, you had to be rich to be able to retire in another country. Now retirees have to pursue their retirement plans abroad to be able to live comfortably on the pensions that they receive.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

dawgball

Forum Member
Feb 12, 2000
Judge - I thought you were in Costa Rica? I just hung up the phone with a friend who moved to CR recently and gave him your address from your signature.

My bad.

The Judge

Pura Vida!
Forum Member
Aug 5, 2004
SJO
No Dawg, BetFirstClass is in San Jose and I travel there fairly regularly but I am in Panama City about 75% of the time. I do however, look forward to hearing from your friend. Where in CR did he move to?

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

IE

Administrator
Forum Admin
Forum Member
Mar 15, 1999
if you didn't want to buy property,

what would a comfortable studio high-tech "excellent internet and phone"

apt cost per month for a single person?

canadian dollar approx 1.10 per usa dollar..

thanks in advance.

IE

dawgball

Forum Member
Feb 12, 2000
No Dawg, BetFirstClass is in San Jose and I travel there fairly regularly but I am in Panama City about 75% of the time. I do however, look forward to hearing from your friend. Where in CR did he move to?

He's in San Jose but I don't know the "area" that he is in.

He said he needs some golfing partners down there with the nice courses near him.

redsfann

ale connoisseur
Forum Member
Aug 3, 1999
Somewhere in Corn Country
Thank you Gregg--:toast:
Sounds like Majacks Sports retirement community to me. :)

See all of you in Panama in 20 years....:00hour

You still going to be above ground in 20 years, Dogs? :scared

Although my brother and I are still looking into buying some land in Belize. Very similar set-up as Panama but the pension requirements are 1000 a month and you must be 45(i think...:shrug: ) to retire there as an ex-pat.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

The Judge

Pura Vida!
Forum Member
Aug 5, 2004
SJO
if you didn't want to buy property,

what would a comfortable studio high-tech "excellent internet and phone"

apt cost per month for a single person?

canadian dollar approx 1.10 per usa dollar..

thanks in advance.

IE
IE, as you might imagine, the prices vary greatly depending on location and amenities, There are seemingly countless highrise luxury apartments available for short term and long term rentals but there is a substantial number of more modest rentals as well.

Here is a link to a sampling of what is currently showing on Craigs List.

Panama Apt/Housing For Rent

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

smurphy

cartographer
Channel Member
Jul 31, 2004
L.A.
Gee. Lots of cutting and running from the country you grew up in. Where's the love? :shrug:

Be careful, you are dangerously close to incurring a "living with your convictions" type comment from Wayne.

DOGS THAT BARK

Forum Member
Jul 13, 1999
Bowling Green Ky
See all of you in Panama in 20 years....:00hour

You still going to be above ground in 20 years, Dogs? :scared

Although my brother and I are still looking into buying some land in Belize. Very similar set-up as Panama but the pension requirements are 1000 a month and you must be 45(i think...:shrug: ) to retire there as an ex-pat.

Have better chance now Reds--no smokes for a few days. grandparents lived 97-94-95- 87 the later in farming accident and parents both 86 and take no meds--so being 59 should have good shot :)

IE My experience with property rates is MUCH better deals if you get hooked up with some one locally. I know if I stay in China or hong kong I have my sister in law (lives in China) book rooms and get 1/2 minimum best rate I can find on internet. Also was looking at property in south china sea (Island of hainan) and pulled some adds from area of interest and had in laws check them out and was told property could be bought for much less than listed.

Will be headed somewhere in a few years just not sure where yet. Biggest issue of concern is communication with population in general.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

IE

Administrator
Forum Admin
Forum Member
Mar 15, 1999
Thanks DTB for the advice.

i do have a contact in hong kong since my dad's brother is Senior Strategic Asset Adviser for HSBC and lives there 1/2 of the year and hamptons (long island) the other half.

will contact him about the place to be for value ...since he has travelled quite a bit...never thought to ask him -- thanks again.