Average Americans Getting Poorer

bryanz

Forum Member
Aug 8, 2001
Syracuse ny, usa
DTB: Your subprime market analysis is nieve at best. I'd have to say it's closer to flat out stupid. I guess you haven't factored in the collateral damage and the trickle down effect that it has hand and will continue to have on the BIG PICTURE OF THE WORLDS ECONOMY. Your analysis of the subprime market is like the Bush Cheney analsis of pre war Iraq. You don't know what you are talking about, your lying, or you are playing dumb.

DOGS THAT BARK

Forum Member
Jul 13, 1999
Bowling Green Ky
My point was on your initial story/link/headline
Employers slash jobs by most in 5 years

You not only were quilty of getting duped but added to their propaganda by re-quoting them.

I'm not arguing point of some weak #'s out there-but no weaker than 2000 or after 911-however employment-inflation-interest rates certainly not threatening --yet.

bryanz

Forum Member
Aug 8, 2001
Syracuse ny, usa
My point was on your initial story/link/headline
Employers slash jobs by most in 5 years

You not only were quilty of getting duped but added to their propaganda by re-quoting them.

I'm not arguing point of some weak #'s out there-but no weaker than 2000 or after 911-however employment-inflation-interest rates certainly not threatening --yet.

your point doesn't make sense.

bryanz

Forum Member
Aug 8, 2001
Syracuse ny, usa
I did not have to dig for this stoty... this was head line news every where that day..... tell me you didn't see it .. What is the propaganda ? I'd would take the ecomomy after 911 up to Dec of 2007 over what will happen the next 5 yrs. .. Simple stuff: people have less money to spend and the price of everything is up....

bryanz

Forum Member
Aug 8, 2001
Syracuse ny, usa
I did not have to dig for this stoty... this was head line news every where that day..... tell me you didn't see it .. What is the propaganda ? I'd would take the ecomomy after 911 up to Dec of 2007 over what will happen the next 5 yrs. .. Simple stuff: people have less money to spend and the price of everything is up....

I was saying this in this forum before I read this story. I didn't learn anything from this story, I posted it for you. I don't get my ideas from media, I get my ideas from experience / life. You look for fox news to tell you what is what... There it is !

Last edited:

DOGS THAT BARK

Forum Member
Jul 13, 1999
Bowling Green Ky
Thought we were speaking of financials?

I don't use Fox financials--have found little of interest there--however they are still learning to crawl
Like Reuters for after hours--use lots of CNN links as well as Bloomberg-

--totally ignore CNBC for most --don't care for Jim Cramer there either--but fits well their scope in general.

Try to ignore opinions or prognosticaters in general as they change dailly per whats happening that day/week.

dawgball

Forum Member
Feb 12, 2000
I'd would take the ecomomy after 911 up to Dec of 2007 over what will happen the next 5 yrs. .. Simple stuff: people have less money to spend and the price of everything is up....

I will take the US dollar from the day the Olympics start for the next 5 years. I'm looking forward to it. I think we are going to see a huge bull run on the dollar in the near/mid-term.

But it's highly likely that I am wrong.

dawgball

Forum Member
Feb 12, 2000
--totally ignore CNBC for most --

I totally ignore them as far as investment advice, but it's the only place I consistently look for news. They present the news in a fashion that interests me: from a business perspective.

And they have the hottest female on-air talent. :00hour

I had to add "female" because we all know smurphy has a man crush on Anderson Cooper, and I did not want to offend him. :poke

bryanz

Forum Member
Aug 8, 2001
Syracuse ny, usa
Many Americans with the value of theirs homes down 30% on paper affects their ability to buy: cars,vacations,education,toys,food,family nite out, health care, fix your car, fix your home,_ _ _ _ .... Anyone that is smart is pulling back.. That is bad news for our spending crazed driven economy. We don't prodcue enough or save enough as a Country to sustain our economy of the last 7.5 yrs..... That is why I say, we have to bring the bottom closer to the top. The top is always there but the top has it's best days when the bottom is closer to it. As the bottom falls off over the next few yrs, we will restructure and rebuild for the next run. If the bottom is smart they will learn from this and save for the next hit.

bryanz

Forum Member
Aug 8, 2001
Syracuse ny, usa
Thought we were speaking of financials?

I don't use Fox financials--have found little of interest there--however they are still learning to crawl
Like Reuters for after hours--use lots of CNN links as well as Bloomberg-

--totally ignore CNBC for most --don't care for Jim Cramer there either--but fits well their scope in general.

Try to ignore opinions or prognosticaters in general as they change dailly per whats happening that day/week.

what ????? you said this was a liberal story. I am a liberal looking for it....... it was every where..... By the way I love Reuters, get there e-mails... Is there anything more liberal than Cnn ? My point is you spin everything to the point of absurdity....http://www.reuters.com/article/newsOne/idUSN0620851820080307 Bush wants credit for the 150 billion stimulus program... booster shot he calls it ..... if a liberal approved of this smoke screen you would scoof at it..... The President has done nothing but react after the fact, every time every subject.... This crew has not been out front on anything. Nothing.. Sorry if my bar or my ethic is to high for you ..... just because you call somone liberal, doesn't make them wrong and you right.... We know "YOU DIRTY LIBERAL" IS PLAN A ...... WHAT'S PLAN B ????? Do you ever slow down ? do you ever have an INDEPENDENT THOUGHT ????

Last edited:

dawgball

Forum Member
Feb 12, 2000
Looking back, what would most of our comments be to someone who bought Pets.com or WebVan (guilty) or any of the other BAD investments of the tech bubble?

I think the housing bubble (yes, I think this is what it is) is not much different. People like to use the argument that this is worse because a house is the biggest investment people usually make. But, really, they didn't buy those stocks with pickles. They either wasted tens of thousands of cash or they... leveraged their home to invest.

We recovered quite nicely from the tech bubble bursting, and I think the same will hold true for the housing bubble that we are just popping.

For most of middle America, nothing has really changed if they did not make bad investment choices. They are more than likely in the same house which has appreciated greatly compared to their value 10 years ago. They may have a second note on it, but things will work out in the end.

My bottom line is that I think if we did not have media (and especially financial media) harping about the recession 24/7, then it would not be as big of a deal as it currently is. Recession fear feeds a recession more than any other factor.

Short term -- probably some pain to be suffered. but that's what happens when we have extended periods of huge run-ups. Correction.
Mid term -- things are going to start turning up, imo
Long term -- have your investment dollars in strong individual US companies with great global exposure and proven management

bryanz

Forum Member
Aug 8, 2001
Syracuse ny, usa
I will take the US dollar from the day the Olympics start for the next 5 years. I'm looking forward to it. I think we are going to see a huge bull run on the dollar in the near/mid-term.

But it's highly likely that I am wrong.

YOUR NOT SAYING MUCH, how much lower can it go, if you are going to speculate I 'd would guess long also... BUT .... who knows

DOGS THAT BARK

Forum Member
Jul 13, 1999
Bowling Green Ky
Many Americans with the value of theirs homes down 30% on paper affects their ability to buy: cars,vacations,education,toys,food,family nite out, health care, fix your car, fix your home,_ _ _ _ .... Anyone that is smart is pulling back.. That is bad news for our spending crazed driven economy. We don't prodcue enough or save enough as a Country to sustain our economy of the last 7.5 yrs..... That is why I say, we have to bring the bottom closer to the top. The top is always there but the top has it's best days when the bottom is closer to it. As the bottom falls off over the next few yrs, we will restructure and rebuild for the next run. If the bottom is smart they will learn from this and save for the next hit.

I would disagree on the many americans--
Those that bought for speculation or profit--rolled the dice and lost-temporarily.

Those that bought home for residence--and locked in fixed rates or refinanced previously higher rates and took advantage of some of lowest rates in 30 years-- are much better off than before.

Personally I'd be doing cartwheels if they valued my home/office at a $1 for next ten years and adjusted property tax accordly. :shrug:

Riddle me this--when was the last time a person looking to buy their 1st home--at reasonable price and low interest rates--been better than right now--

Last edited:

dawgball

Forum Member
Feb 12, 2000
YOUR NOT SAYING MUCH, how much lower can it go, if you are going to speculate I 'd would guess long also... BUT .... who knows

I agree. I don't think it's a bold statement. but the way the media portrays our current situation is almost like we will not be able to recover. It's really not that bad. I think you could almost call it marketing for a recession. is that too broad stroked?

To me, that is a pretty good situation. I don't even look at it as speculation because of my long term optimism for our economy.

bryanz

Forum Member
Aug 8, 2001
Syracuse ny, usa
I agree. I don't think it's a bold statement. but the way the media portrays our current situation is almost like we will not be able to recover. It's really not that bad. I think you could almost call it marketing for a recession. is that too broad stroked?

To me, that is a pretty good situation. I don't even look at it as speculation because of my long term optimism for our economy.

I agree, the media makes it worse than it is & better than it is.... It has always been that way. My approch to life and speculation is look the other way first.... If you have ever looked at the type of plays I post that's how I roll.

bryanz

Forum Member
Aug 8, 2001
Syracuse ny, usa
Looking back, what would most of our comments be to someone who bought Pets.com or WebVan (guilty) or any of the other BAD investments of the tech bubble?

I think the housing bubble (yes, I think this is what it is) is not much different. People like to use the argument that this is worse because a house is the biggest investment people usually make. But, really, they didn't buy those stocks with pickles. They either wasted tens of thousands of cash or they... leveraged their home to invest.

We recovered quite nicely from the tech bubble bursting, and I think the same will hold true for the housing bubble that we are just popping.

For most of middle America, nothing has really changed if they did not make bad investment choices. They are more than likely in the same house which has appreciated greatly compared to their value 10 years ago. They may have a second note on it, but things will work out in the end.

My bottom line is that I think if we did not have media (and especially financial media) harping about the recession 24/7, then it would not be as big of a deal as it currently is. Recession fear feeds a recession more than any other factor.

Short term -- probably some pain to be suffered. but that's what happens when we have extended periods of huge run-ups. Correction.
Mid term -- things are going to start turning up, imo
Long term -- have your investment dollars in strong individual US companies with great global exposure and proven management

The housing bubble & the Tech bubble are different animals.... not even close.... our economy is based on spending and leverage. ...leverage = home values .... average Americans were not going out spending money based on their tech stock values, in the same way they have, based on their home values. Multiply the spending power that is gone based on every home owner and that = slow spending. Slow spending is no good for an economy that is fueled by crazed spending and no savings. We have come to the uphill part of the race.. This is where average Moms & Dads become heroes that their sons and daughters will never forget. DTB, stick your liberal tag up your ass. You know nothing about my ethic or the ethic of the America that I speak of. You can sit there and jerk off to your charts and #'s...I'm talking real world.

Last edited:

bryanz

Forum Member
Aug 8, 2001
Syracuse ny, usa
I would disagree on the many americans--
Those that bought for speculation or profit--rolled the dice and lost-temporarily.

Those that bought home for residence--and locked in fixed rates or refinanced previously higher rates and took advantage of some of lowest rates in 30 years-- are much better off than before.

Personally I'd be doing cartwheels if they valued my home/office at a $1 for next ten years and adjusted property tax accordly. :shrug:

Riddle me this--when was the last time a person looking to buy their 1st home--at reasonable price and low interest rates--been better than right now--

even if you bought your home the right way for the right reason, many Americans take a big hit when the value drops the way it did. you know that property tax is not going to be adjusted .... Lets keep this real world.

Bet on MyBookie