British Masters

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

bettingmad

Forum Member
Feb 27, 2001
Yorkshire, UK
www.bettingmad.com
Sounds like Monty is going to make a mess of the betting this week, deciding if he is going to play "at the very last minute".
Obviously books will not be overly generous on the other main contenders in case the favourite drops out.

Stanley

Registered
Forum Member
Jul 26, 1999
Manchester, England
www.tour-tips.com
Course: Woburn Golf and Country Club (Marquess course), Woburn, England
Yardage: 7214
Par: 72 (four par-fives)
Greens: Bentgrass

Weather Forecast

Best Players Last 10 Years

Past Winners:
2001 - Thomas Levet
2000 - Gary Orr
1999 - Bob May
1998 - Colin Montgomerie
1997 - Greg Turner
1996 - Robert Allenby
1995 - Sam Torrance
1994 - Ian Woosnam
1993 - Peter Baker
1992 - Christie O'Connor, Jr.

milpalm

Forum Member
Mar 12, 2002
Lillestrom, Norway
My outright picks this week are Thomas Bjorn, Robert Karlsson and Stephen Leaney. Bjorn is starting to show some form and should be inspired by his countryman's victory last week. 18/1 was available at Willhill yesterday.

Karlsson finished 2nd in this event last year. In his last three events he has finished 31st, 16th and 15th. He is a good player who should contend on a course that suits him well. 50/1 at Victorchandler who offer 6 places.

Leaney played well in the PGA where he was 11th. He was a promising 22nd last year. 40/1 is a decent price for a proven winner in a relatively weak field.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Stanley

Registered
Forum Member
Jul 26, 1999
Manchester, England
www.tour-tips.com
Outright plays (1.5 units):

Darren Clarke to win 10/1 e.w. @ Sporting Odds or Heathorns [11/1 Easybets, 4 places]
Strong performance from Clarke last week earns his retention as a selection. Didn't impress on this course last year, but he is a streaky player and will fancy his chances against a weaker field. Acting as the banker bet with two more speculative selections to follow.

Ian Woosnam to win 33/1 e.w. @ William Hill [5 places option]
Woosie missed the cut last week after a 2nd round 84. But that can be discounted because of his temperament and the British weather. It is also clear that missed cuts do not prey too heavily on his mind. Following his last three missed cuts, he has finished 3rd (British Open), 6th (Malaysian Open) and 3rd (French Open) with the first two examples being in the following week. He won this event in 1994 on the Duke's course and finished 14th last year while struggling with his putting. His putting stats are much improved on last year and he could go close.

Lee Westwood to win 66/1 e.w. @ Sporting Odds
Definitely a speculative play. Westwood has missed all three cuts since returning to Europe after the Masters. But he missed the cut in the Volvo PGA last year, yet 8th here last year, having been in an excellent position to win, and he continued that form with 5th the following week in the English Open. Since then he has shown glimpses of his best form and if he can be encouraged by his reversal in form last year in this event, he may surprise this week.

Monarch

Forum Member
Feb 24, 2002
London
Matchups:

Owen v McGinley 10/11 @ LuvBet 4 Units
Rose v McGinley 10/11 @ Heathorns 3 Units.

McGinley has been having a difficult yr. With trying to play more in the States his schedule has been turned on it's head. I think he still looks out of sync and I can't see him finishing any higher than 25-30th. Owen and Rose however have a great chance to win this week and I expect nothing worse than t-15s from the pair. Both have taken good strides forward this season and I hope they will see this week as a great opportunity to shine.

bettingmad

Forum Member
Feb 27, 2001
Yorkshire, UK
www.bettingmad.com
Robert Karlsson 0.5 EW 50/1 & 0.5 EW 40/1(5 & 4 Places) Sports.com
Must confess he is a player I never seem to hit at the right time... his last win was without carrying my cash after the weight of it had made him miss the cut the week before! Finished 2nd here last year and looks to be improving after a slow start to the season with two top 20's in his last 3 outings

Stephen Leaney 1EW 50/1 Heathorns
Started the season very well with 2 runner-up spots and 3 other top 10's. His form dipped after a 7 week holiday but his 11th at Wentworth last week just might have put him back on track. Top 25 on this course last year and a 9th place in the same event (different course) in 1999. Has won 3 events on the European tour plus others in Ozland

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

steved

Forum Member
Feb 9, 2002
teddington. uk
low confidence all round for me this week, spending too much time on footbal(soccer)
0.5 ew McNulty 66/1 Blue Square
old timer shows them how it is done...

Stanley

Registered
Forum Member
Jul 26, 1999
Manchester, England
www.tour-tips.com
72-hole plays (1.5 units unless stated):

Thomas Levet to beat Paul Casey -110 @ LuvBet
Levet may have the pressures of being defending champion and a repeat winner is as likely as across the pond, but there should be some renewed form from the Frenchman. He secured top-20 finishes in Portuguese and French Opens before missing his last two cuts. Casey is simply out of form. Played below expectations on the PGA Tour, missed his first two cuts in Europe and finished 75th last week.

Lee Westwood to beat Andrew Coltart +105 @ TattsBet [3 units]
Maybe form should not be considered when looking at Westwood, but Coltart is also opposable in that department. Since the Tour reached the Northern Hemisphere, his finishes read 80th, 49th, 60th, 59th, 6th, missed cut, 42nd, 56th. Apart from one week - the French Open - he is a shadow of the former Ryder Cup player. This will also be the sixth straight week that Coltart will be competing. Definitely siding with his brother-in-law!

Paul Lawrie to beat Nick Dougherty -110 @ BetInternet
Dougherty is another rising star who has not really lived up to expectations so far in Europe this season. True, he did finish 2nd in the Qatar Masters, but he has missed three of his last seven cuts with just four of twenty-two rounds under 70. Lawrie's game seems to be improving considerably this month and he looks the more consistent player at the moment.

Gary Orr to beat Ignacio Garrido -111 @ BetandWin
Successfully opposed Orr last week, but he is a former winner of this title (2000) when it was played on the Duke's course at Woburn. Expect another mid-table finish from Orr, which should be enough to beat Garrido who has never recovered his form of pre-Valderrama 1997 and has a very poor record in England. He finished 19th in the Volvo PGA last week, but his previous best in any English event since the 1998 British Masters (he finished 4th) had been 39th (1999 English Open).

Barry Lane to beat David Gilford -111 @ William Hill or BetandWin
Ten European Tour titles between these two, but the last one was in 1994! Fine 9th place finish last week ended a run of three poor events for Gilford, but siding with Lane who appears to be in the better form. His missed cut in Germany can be ignored following the way he failed to win the Benson & Hedges International three weeks ago, but he came back to secure a top-20 finish last week. Lane leads Gilford 3-1 in events this month and is teeing up for the fifth consecutive week whereas Gilford is doing so for the sixth time.

Phillip Price to beat Trevor Immelman -118 @ Centrebet [3 units]
Opposing Immelman who likely many others is playing for the sixth straight week this week and seems to have lost his game - probably more mental than technique - since his lost his huge lead in the French Open four weeks ago. With just two of his last fourteen rounds under 70, he is not in the same form as at Le Golf National. Also opposing him because of a very poor record in England. His record in England on the European Tour reads: mc, mc, mc, mc, 51st, 65th. This is also not a course for Immelman's attacking style of play. Price has secured top-20 finishes in two of his last three events and looks the better and fresher player.

Steve Webster to beat Trevor Immelman -111 @ William Hill
Last week's missed cut ended his fine of fine form, both this year and in England. In his previous four events he had secured two top-10 finishes and two further top-25 finishes, while he had finished in the top-10 in his previous three events in England. Missed the cut last year, but should be better prepared as a result for this demanding course.

Steen Tinning to beat Santiago Luna -111 @ BetandWin
Opposing the highly erratic Luna who lost his Tour Card and had to go to Qualifying School at the end of last year. Some decent finishes amongst the poor results this year, but he withdrew after an opening 78 last year and his best finish in nine events in England since the start of the 2000 season has been 45th. Tinning is much more consistent and shot four rounds of par or better last year.

Svengali

Forum Member
Nov 8, 2001
Switzerland
Owen to beat McGinley 10/11 - Luvbet
Garbutt to beat Bennett 10/11 - Luvbet

Owen versus McGinley is a real class pick here as Owen's form in Europe of late is simply outstanding. McGinley has been a man to oppose sll season so far and has shown nothing at Woburn to indicate this week will be otherwise.

Garbutt to beat Bennett is a bit more speculative (would have just been 1 point Stanley rather than 10,000!) but Garbutt has only missed 3 cuts in last 10 to Bennetts 6 and course form points to Garbutt slightly as well.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Myron

Forum Member
Oct 14, 2001
Hamilton, Ontario
I'm with you on Westwood Stanley. Also a small play on Patterson.

BTW, what the hell happened to Westwood. He was set to be the next Tiger Woods and then poof...

Actually there were a few golfers who looked really promising that sort of went away. Aaron Baddely is another that comes to mind.

I still think the biggest reversal of all time was Ian Baker Finch. He won the British Open and by the next year he couldn't break 90. The only reason he gave was that he lost his swing and couldn't get it back. Very sad and bizzarre story.

Svengali

Forum Member
Nov 8, 2001
Switzerland
Does anyone know what happened to Bennett. he is shown on europeantour.com as withdrawn/retired but no hole scores are there. Does this mean he teed it up and faced some calamity on the way to the first green and I win a matchbet against him!? Any thoughts/knowledge gratefully received.

Monarch

Forum Member
Feb 24, 2002
London
It says Hole 17 by his name so I guess he got injured or something. Whatever it was your matchup is a winner :).

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Monarch

Forum Member
Feb 24, 2002
London
Svengali, I'm not a huge supporter of the Monarchy :confused:, but this is a time to be supporting my nation for both the Jubilee and maybe more importantly the World Cup :). God Bless the Queen and Beckham.

Monarch

Forum Member
Feb 24, 2002
London
3rd Rd 3-Balls:

Rose v Dier/Torrance Evens
S Hansen v Khan/Lyle 11/10
Price v Poulter/Golding 11/10 - 1 unit win treble.

Stanley

Registered
Forum Member
Jul 26, 1999
Manchester, England
www.tour-tips.com
Mid-point update:

Levet/Casey WON by 10
Westwood/Coltart WON by 6
Lawrie/Dougherty Leads by 3
Orr/Garrido Leads by 2
Lane/Gilford WON by 3
Price/Immelman Leads by 6
Webster/Immelman Trails by 2
Tinning/Luna Trails by 5

Clarke 53rd
Woosnam 53rd
Westwood 30th

Very good position in the matchups and I did like a lot this week. Three winners and had the cut line moved up one more, there would have been two more in the bag. Not so encouraging with the outrights though. Clarke is a frustrating character. Six-under-par today after 11 holes, he double-bogeyed the 12th for the second time and finished four-over for his last seven holes. Westwood appears to playing better, particularly with his irons, so hopefully he will provide something for me to cheer when I'm on-course on Sunday.

Clive

Forum Member
Apr 18, 2001
Oxford, England
www.take624.com
Stan

Make sure you give the VC golf compiler a hard time about not pricing up Seniors and Ladies.... he was not particualry impressed when I told him that all the 'major' bookmakers priced up weekly!

And don't forget your suncream... I'm suffering today!

12th hole will be using the forward tees which makes the green driveable...will be the place to be!

Will try to post my thought on those I watched at some point over the weekend.... I watched Bjorn play the first three and had made up my mind to have a big bet in opposition of him today only for him to drop out!

Also, nearly got twatted on the head by Martin Maritz!

Monarch

Forum Member
Feb 24, 2002
London
Final Summary:

Final Summary:

Matchups for week (2-1) +5.37 Units
Ytd (10-11) +6.24 Units

Outrights ytd: +21.87 Units

Total P/L Ytd: +28.11 Units.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

bettingmad

Forum Member
Feb 27, 2001
Yorkshire, UK
www.bettingmad.com
I agree :toast:
Bit slower off the mark than you.... but today thought the 11/2 Stan James was worth taking... then noticed 6/1 at Sports.com... so took some more... and then spotted 13/2 at bet247 and had some of that as well and now hoping for a double "Cheers Justin" as doubled him with Leonard in the Kemper tonight at the 13/2 & 9/1....

Last edited: