Bush hatred of coal miners deplorable!

smurphy

cartographer
Channel Member
Jul 31, 2004
L.A.
How the hell are some of these obvious conflicts of interest allowed?

Critics contend that the Bush administration is beholden to the mining industry and has gutted safety and health regulations in the mines. They point to figures from the Center for Responsive Politics which show that over the last 6 years, coal companies gave $9 million to mostly republican federal candidates. Critics also point out that Bush cut funding for mine safety enforcement by $15 million and stacked the Mine Safety and Health Administration with representatives of corporate interests.

In 2002, Bush named former Massey Energy official Stanley Suboleski to the MSHA review commission that decides all legal matters under the Federal Mine Act. Massey Energy is one of the largest coal companies in the U.S and has been cited for numerous violations. And David Lauriski, the former head of MSHA, spent 30 years as an executive in the mining industry before being tapped to head the agency. He resigned last year to work for a mine-industry consulting company. The current head of MSHA, Richard Stickler, was appointed by Bush last September. Stickler is a former manager of Beth Energy mines. The Bush administration has also cut 170 positions from MSHA.

from http://www.democracynow.org/article.pl?sid=06/01/05/1455200

dr. freeze

BIG12 KING
Forum Member
Aug 25, 2001
Mansion
why shoudl the taxpayer have to pay for "Mine safety enforcement"?

why do you constantly wish for the government to meddle in our day to day affairs?

last time the government official "safety enforcement" came to my job, they wrote us up for the linen basket being more than 3/4 full!!!

Why are we paying for this harassment????

smurphy

cartographer
Channel Member
Jul 31, 2004
L.A.
If the government doesn't enforce mine safety, then the companies will get away with whatever they want. This has been proven since the first hole was ever dug. For you to compare emergencyt air supplies of miners with linen baskets at your job are an insult to the families of of mine victims and another example of your insane lack of any understanding of anything. Go to Canada already!

dr. freeze

BIG12 KING
Forum Member
Aug 25, 2001
Mansion
smurphy said:
If the government doesn't enforce mine safety, then the companies will get away with whatever they want. This has been proven since the first hole was ever dug. For you to compare emergencyt air supplies of miners with linen baskets at your job are an insult to the families of of mine victims and another example of your insane lack of any understanding of anything. Go to Canada already!

Why would anyone work for a company who couldn't give you an air supply themselves!

Why must the government babysit us all!

For you to assume that I am comparing my linen basket to an air supply in a mine is emotional lunacy!

Believe it or not my job has oxygen just as critical as is in a mine yet the government harasses me more about a linen basket!!!!

The implication then being that such government "oversight/harassment" is exactly that!

Can you not draw a REASONABLE inference just one time instead of going psycho on us all!!!!

smurphy

cartographer
Channel Member
Jul 31, 2004
L.A.
I'm not the one who brought up linen baskets. Obviously, linen basket regulation is a waste of maney and also not part of this topic at all. I'm for what is realistic and prudent. Frankly, the government DOES need to babysit industries such as coal mining. Without it, the companies will abuse as many regulations to save a penny as possible. This is why they pay off Bush and this is why Bush loads the MSHA with former mine execs and slashes their funding. The proof is in what has happened the last 5+ years. It couldn't be more obvious. Folks like you refuse to see this and instead point to frivolous examples of regulation and then make a blanket proclamation. You can't see the conflict of interest here? You can't make the obvious connections?

ImFeklhr

Raconteur
Forum Member
Oct 3, 2005
San Francisco
We could and perhaps should reign in some of the needless/overstepping regulation in business, but as long as the laws are on the books, they shouldn't be ridiculously enforced.

It's a mockery of the system that coal mines are regulated by Big Coal AND that hospitals are regulated by the laundry caucus.

dr. freeze

BIG12 KING
Forum Member
Aug 25, 2001
Mansion
smurphy said:
I'm not the one who brought up linen baskets. Obviously, linen basket regulation is a waste of maney and also not part of this topic at all. I'm for what is realistic and prudent. Frankly, the government DOES need to babysit industries such as coal mining. Without it, the companies will abuse as many regulations to save a penny as possible. This is why they pay off Bush and this is why Bush loads the MSHA with former mine execs and slashes their funding. The proof is in what has happened the last 5+ years. It couldn't be more obvious. Folks like you refuse to see this and instead point to frivolous examples of regulation and then make a blanket proclamation. You can't see the conflict of interest here? You can't make the obvious connections?

Why does it take tens of millions to make sure oxygen is in the hands of miners???

That should take about $50,000 as I would think I or any other person should be able to handle that job.

Congrats to Bush for realizing this and hopefully this oversight will be run more efficiently now

ctownguy

Life is Good
Forum Member
Jul 27, 2000
SoCal
Bush hatred of coal miners deplorable!

One of the more moronic and absurd posts by smurphy in a long line of moronic and stupid posts by a Bush hating California lib. :nono:

StevieD

Forum Member
Jun 18, 2002
Boston
You can't argue the fact that there are more accidents since Bush put his cronies in charge.

dr. freeze

BIG12 KING
Forum Member
Aug 25, 2001
Mansion
StevieD said:
You can't argue the fact that there are more accidents since Bush put his cronies in charge.

where exactly is this "fact"

show me the data!!!

lets see this study showing "number of accidents since Bush cronies put in charge"

not sure we can make such a claim now can we or are you once again resorting to emotionally laden histrionics

AR182

Forum Member
Nov 9, 2000
Scottsdale,AZ
StevieD said:

stevie....

very ridiculous comment.....

murphy....

i have to agree with freeze.....

the gov't. should'nt have to regulate & the tax payers shouldn't have to pay for mine safety....

it's the businesses that have to take care of their employer's....not the gov't.

StevieD

Forum Member
Jun 18, 2002
Boston
Bush Ignored Explicit Warnings In 2002 About Mine Safety

The tragic news about the death of 12 mine workers this week has brought
up all sorts of questions about the Bush administration's record
protecting mine workers. Back in 2002, I was working for the House
Appropriations Committee. At the time, you may recall there was a big
mining accident in Western Pennsylvania.

President Bush held a big photo-op to pretend like he cared - but he
never responded to the fact sheet that House Democrats put out
questioning why he had made so many cuts to mine safety programs. (You
can find this fact sheet at http://www.davidsirota.com/mineworkers.doc).

In case the administration claims it didn't remember being warned, check
out this excerpt from the big Chicago Tribune story from 6/20/02:

"We call on the Bush administration to fully fund the Mine Safety and
Health Administration to ensure that coal mines are inspected more
thoroughly and that the mine act is enforced more stringently," Cecil
Roberts, president of the United Mine Workers Association, said in a
statement. "It would be cynical to portray himself as the hero of mine
safety by simply doing photo ops," said David Sirota, spokesman for
Democrats on the House Appropriations Committee.

Democrats also released a report from the Labor Department's inspector
general--the agency's in-house watchdog--concluding that the Mine Safety
and Health Administration was "unable to complete statutorily mandated
inspections of ... mine operations," in part because of a lack of
inspectors.

At a Senate subcommittee hearing last month, lawmakers were told that
the Jim Walters Resources mine in Brookwood, Ala., where 13 miners died
last September, had 31 outstanding safety violations that went unchecked
because of a lack of government inspectors.

The mine workers union also has criticized Bush's choice of Stanley
Suboleski, an executive at coal operator Massey Energy, to serve on the
Federal Mine Safety and Health Review Commission. That agency judges
disputes over alleged safety violations.

Now, after another bad accident, we find out that since the last
accident in 2002, not only did the President ignore calls by Democrats
to address the situation seriously, but he actually enacted more cuts to
mine safety programs and weakened mine safety regulations.
The 2002 fact sheet and the Chicago Tribune story shows that Bush knew
full well that mine safety was suffering - and now we know he didn't do
anything about it, to tragic consequences. They can put out GOP hacks
and administration spokespeople to deny this reality - but the facts are
there.

Sources:
2002 Pennsylvania mining accident:
http://edition.cnn.com/2002/US/07/28/mine.accident/
Bush 2002 photo-op on mine safety:
http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2002/08/20020805-1.html
Bush enacted more cuts to mine safety programs/regulations after 2002:
http://www.americanchronicle.com/articles/viewArticle.asp?articleID=4612

StevieD

Forum Member
Jun 18, 2002
Boston
We are now reaping the benefits of Bush's plan to leave safety up to the mine operators and the deterioration it rewards.

dr. freeze

BIG12 KING
Forum Member
Aug 25, 2001
Mansion
Sounds like the government's plan doesnt work as one might imagine

Time to put 100% of the enforcement at the local/company level

President Bush, we ask that you eliminate this ineffective, expensive, bureaucratic regulatory agency once and for all and save us taxpayers millions of $$

Let the company decide as they know best to provide safety for its employees

gjn23

Forum Member
Mar 20, 2002
So. Cal
all i know is that this guy bush is a real life jack bauer:

first he rigs an election in fla

then he knowingly allows planes to fly into buildings and as part of that master plan, he then allows those buildings to be blown up while on fire

he apparently rigged another election since a democrat didnt win when the cheerleaders.....err....the media.....told us kerry was going to win around 1pm pst

he then was the master mind behind the tsunami

and of course he killed all those people in new orleans when he sent in his hurricane and then his people blew up the leveys

now he's targeting coal miners and absulutely hates them so much that he's fixing it so that these mines collapse

at least that's what i've heard from the lunatic left the past 6 years, so it must be true!

IntenseOperator

DeweyOxburger
Forum Member
Sep 16, 2003
Chicago
gjn23 said:
all i know is that this guy bush is a real life jack bauer:

first he rigs an election in fla

then he knowingly allows planes to fly into buildings and as part of that master plan, he then allows those buildings to be blown up while on fire

he apparently rigged another election since a democrat didnt win when the cheerleaders.....err....the media.....told us kerry was going to win around 1pm pst

he then was the master mind behind the tsunami

and of course he killed all those people in new orleans when he sent in his hurricane and then his people blew up the leveys

now he's targeting coal miners and absulutely hates them so much that he's fixing it so that these mines collapse

at least that's what i've heard from the lunatic left the past 6 years, so it must be true!

All while out of his mind on blow!

gardenweasel

el guapo
Forum Member
Jan 10, 2002
"the bunker"
there are more documented occurrences of s.t.d.`s since "w" took office(more than clinton...go figure).....

i guess that means that "w",cheney and "the puppeteer" are running back and forth on airforce one giving the unsuspecting public the clap....

btw...i met aunt jemima yesterday at breakfast...she was having rum and coke over grapenuts.......

a very cool broad...

Last edited:

StevieD

Forum Member
Jun 18, 2002
Boston
What does the guy do because according to the kool aid drinkers he isn't responsible for anything?

gardenweasel

el guapo
Forum Member
Jan 10, 2002
"the bunker"
stephen.......were you imbibing during the immigration and port discussions?....

not to mention the time i reamed him for wearing brown shoes with a black suit.....

how dare you....

smurphy

cartographer
Channel Member
Jul 31, 2004
L.A.
AR182 said:
murphy....

i have to agree with freeze.....

the gov't. should'nt have to regulate & the tax payers shouldn't have to pay for mine safety....

it's the businesses that have to take care of their employer's....not the gov't.

AR - I agree in nearly every line of work - but not mines! It's been proven over and over again that without government enforcement, the companies will cut safety to the bone. It's NO COINCIDENCE that the recent increase of fatal accidents in mines have occurred during this time when Bush has slashed safety enforcement.

To simply imply that miners should just find other work if they don't feel well provided for is a wrong premise most of the time. Mining is the only viable employment in many areas. You just have to look at history to see the direct result of of government regulation and safety. Less regulation = more deaths - ALWAYS.

I'll leave with one question - to you at least find it to be a signifanct conlict of interest to place former mine executives in charge of safety? How can someone with such close links to company profits be qualified to enforce matters of safety?

Last edited:
Bet on MyBookie