Cnotes WNBA 2024 Season Best Bets And Opinions !

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

Cnotes53

Registered
Forum Member
Nov 5, 2017

TUESDAY, AUGUST 20

GameTime(ET)PickUnits
LA at CON07:00 PMLA +14.0
O 158.0
+500 +500
SEA at WAS07:00 PMWAS +7.0
O 161.5
+500 +500
DAL at NY07:00 PMNY -11.0
U 174.0
+500 +500

Udog

Registered
Forum Member
Sep 10, 2018
Armadillo Sports

Wednesday’s 6-pack:

Washington Commanders’ Week 1 QB’s, since 2017
2017- Kirk Cousins
2018- Alex Smith
2019- Case Keenum
2020- Dwayne Haskins
2021- Ryan Fitzpatrick
2022- Carson Wentz
2023- Sam Howell
2024- Jayden Daniels

Quote of the Day
“To put it in the simplest terms, if you woke up every morning and I told you that you suck at what you did, that you don’t belong doing what you do, that you shouldn’t be here, that this guy should be here, that you haven’t earned this.

And then you have somebody else come in and tell you, ‘Dude, you are the best fit for this. You’re accurate. You’re the best whatever, you’re this, you’re that.’ How would it make you feel listening to one or the other?”
Dolphins QB Tua Tagovailoa, comparing his relationship with Miami’s last two head coaches

Wednesday’s quiz
In the movie Major League, Corbin Bernsen’s character plays third base for Cleveland; what number did he wear?

Tuesday’s quiz
Romeo Crennel was coach of the Kansas City Chiefs, just before Andy Reid got there.

Monday’s quiz
Arizona Diamondbacks made the playoffs in their second year of existence, in 1999; Buck Showalter was their manager back then.

Wednesday’s Den: Mid-week musings……..

— College football teams have general managers now; Alabama’s GM Courtney Morgan just got a raise to $825,000 a year, because acquiring/buying players has replaced recruiting them, to a certain extent.

Morgan was the GM at Washington last year; USC tried to poach him when Kalen DeBoer moved on to the Crimson Tide, but Morgan will be in Tuscaloosa this year.

— Oklahoma State announced Tuesday that the Cowboys will sport QR codes on their helmets linking to a donation page for the school’s NIL fund, believed to be a first in college football.

The QR codes on the back of each helmet will be 1.5 square inches. The school said that while the codes won’t be visible from the stands on game day, fans watching during television broadcasts will be able to capture them on their phones.

Oklahoma State thinks this will help raise the team’s NIL value throughout the year; they’re ranked #17 in the pre-season top 25.

— Dallas Cowboys’ kicker Brandon Aubrey made two field goals last week, 54 and 66-yard field goals. 66-yarder would’ve tied the all-time record, had that been a regular season game.

— Montana State is an 11-point favorite over New Mexico Saturday in Albuquerque, which I mention because Montana State is an FCS (I-AA) team, while New Mexico is an FBS (I-A) team, playing in the Mountain West Conference.

Not a good omen for the Lobos’ prospects this season.

— First round matchups in November’s Maui Classic, which is returning to the Lahaina Civic Center this year- terrible wildfires moved the event off of Lahaina last year:

UConn-Memphis
Colorado-Michigan State
Auburn-Iowa State
Dayton-North Carolina

— Word of the Day– Integrity- Doing the right thing when nobody is watching, doing what you said you would do.

— Utah Utes QB Cam Rising is 25 years old; he is older than eight starting QB’s in the NFL:
25- Will Levis
24- Trevor Lawrence, Brock Purdy
23- Bryce Young, Jayden Daniels
22- CJ Stroud, Anthony Richardson, Caleb Williams

— Chicago Bears GM Ryan Poles was an offensive lineman in college at Boston College, where his roommate was longtime NFL QB Matt Ryan.

— Since 2015, New Jersey Jets have had 28 games where they didn’t score an offensive TD; during that time, no other team has more than 17 (Carolina Panthers).

— Over the last 20 years, the biggest pointspread in any NFL exhibition game was when the Broncos were favored by 9.5 points over the Rams three years ago. Denver won that game 17-12.

— Famous birthdays, August 21st:
Willie Lanier, 79
Archie Griffin, 70
Gary Hogeboom, 66

Jim McMahon, 65
Craig Counsell, 54
JD Martinez, 37

Brandon Drury, 32
Mike Evans, 31
Corbin Carroll, 24

Wednesday would’ve been Wilt Chamberlain’s 88th birthday

— Banged-up Atlanta Braves signed 3B Gio Urshela to replace Austin Riley, who is out 6-8 weeks with a broken hand.

— Kansas City Royals were 56-106 last year; they’re 70-56 this year.

Blue Jays 10, Reds 3
George Springer hit two home runs.
Jose Berrios won his third straight start,

Dodgers 6, Mariners 3
Jason Heyward hit a pinch-hit, 3-run homer in 8th inning for the win.
Mariners are 1-7 on this road trip.

Red Sox 6, Astros 5
Jarren Duran went 4-4, including the game-winning home run,
Both teams scored three runs in first inning.

Pirates 4, Rangers 0
Mitch Keller allowed three singles in 7 IP.
Rangers were shut out for sixth time this season.

Padres 7, Twins 5
Jurickson Profar hit a 3-run homer in bottom of 8th inning,
San Diego is 22-5 in its last 27 games.

Udog

Registered
Forum Member
Sep 10, 2018
Zfn5W2R.png

OVw2gSg.png

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Cnotes53

Registered
Forum Member
Nov 5, 2017
Thursday’s 6-pack:
— Cardinals 10, Brewers 6 (10)- Nolan Arenado hit a walk-off grand slam.
— Phillies 3, Braves 2- Phillies lead NL East by seven games.
— Mets 4, Orioles 3- Jesse Winker hit a walk-off home run.
— Arizona 10, Marlins 8- Arizona is 31-13 since July 1st.
— Royals 3, Angels 0- Michael Lorenzen tossed seven shutout IP.
— White Sox 6, Giants 2- Chicago scored four runs in 9th inning.

Quote of the Day
“Bo (Nix) brings a lot of really good qualities to our team in terms of the quarterback position. He does a lot of things really, really well on the field. … He has that leader mentality, that aura that he walks with.”
Broncos receiver Cameron Sutton, talking about rookie QB Bo Nix

Thursday’s quiz
Where did Steph Curry play his college basketball?

Wednesday’s quiz
In the movie Major League, Corbin Bernsen’s character plays third base for Cleveland; he wore number 24.

Tuesday’s quiz
Romeo Crennel was coach of the Kansas City Chiefs, just before Andy Reid got there.

Thursday’s Den: Looking back on one of the strangest games in baseball history

13) On May 17, 1979, Phillies beat the Cubs 23-22 in 10 innings, in one of the strangest games ever: Phillies were 24-10 at the time; Chicago was
16-16. Cubs had 26 hits in the game, Phils had 24.

12) The game was 7-6 Phillies, after the first inning. Somewhere in this great country of ours, someone bet the under in this game. Oy.

11) Phillies starting pitcher Randy Lerch homered in the top of the first inning, never finished the bottom of the first. Both starting pitchers got only one out before being removed.

10) Pete Rose, Mike Schmidt hit 3rd/4th in Phillies’ order; they combined to score seven runs and knock in eight. Light-hitting Larry Bowa was 5 for 8 in the game.

9) Bob Boone was 3-4 with five RBI’s; his son Aaron is now the manager in the Bronx. Boone and Schmidt were both walked intentionally twice.

8) Reliever Tug McGraw faced 10 batters; seven of them scored. McGraw is the father of the singer Tim McGraw.

Famous birthdays, August 22nd:
Carl Yastrzemski, 85
Paul Molitor, 68
Wes Chandler, 68
Ty Burrell, 57
James Corden, 46
Adam Thielen, 34
Randall Cobb, 34
Maxx Crosby, 27
LaMelo Ball, 23

7) 22 of the first 53 Cubs who came to bat scored, but Rawly Eastwick slammed the door shut in the last two innings, retiring all six Cubs he faced.

6) Donnie Moore faced 14 batters and seven of them scored, but he did hit a triple, one of his two career three-baggers.

5) Phillies led this game 21-9 in the 5th inning but Cubs tied the game off of Ron Reed in the 8th inning; Reed pitched 19 years in the major leagues and also played 119 games for the NBA’s Detroit Pistons from 1965-67.

4) Dave Kingman hit three homers for the Cubs; Bill Buckner knocked in seven runs, seven years before his infamous error in the ’86 World Series.

3) Phillies went home the next day and got swept in a 3-game series by the Expos. Chicago lost its next four games after this one.

2) 1979 turned out to be the only year in a six-year stretch where the Phillies missed the playoffs; they finished 84-78, the Cubs 80-82.
Phillies fired manager Danny Ozark late in 1979, hired Dallas Green and won the ’80 World Series.

1) Naysayers like to criticize baseball now but attendance that day was 14,952; other than in 2020, when was last time the Cubs drew less than 15,000 for a home game?

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Cnotes53

Registered
Forum Member
Nov 5, 2017

THURSDAY, AUGUST 22

GameTime(ET)PickUnits
DAL at NY07:00 PMNY -13.5
U 176.5
+500 +500

Cnotes53

Registered
Forum Member
Nov 5, 2017
Friday’s 6-pack:
— Somehow, Angels GM Perry Minasian had his contract extended thru 2026.
— Pirates 7, Reds 0- Rookie P Paul Skenes is 8-2, 2.16 in 17 starts.
— A’s 3, Rays 1- Osvaldo Bido won his third straight start.
— Nationals 8, Rockies 3- Juan Yepez hit a 3-run homer.
— Cardinals 3, Brewers 0- Miles Mikolas threw six shutout IP.
— Struggling Seattle Mariners fired manager Scott Servais, an act of desperation.

Quote of the Day
“I’d love to have him. He’s great. Coach has been great to me. We’ve had a chance to catch up pretty often, check in with each other. He’s been a great resource and a great person to be able to pick his brain.”
USC football coach Lincoln Riley, talking about Pete Carroll, who apparently will teach a class at USC this year

Friday’s quiz
Actor Mark Harmon was the star of NCIS; what college football team did he play QB for?

Thursday’s quiz
Steph Curry played his college basketball at Davidson, in the Southern Conference.

Wednesday’s quiz
In the movie Major League, Corbin Bernsen’s character plays third base for Cleveland; he wore number 24.

Friday’s Den: NFC trends……..

Cardinals
Since 2010, Arizona is 102-123-1 in regular season, 1-3 in playoffs.
From 2019-22, Kliff Kingsbury was their coach; he’ll be back in Arizona in Week 4, as OC of the Washington Commanders.

Falcons
Atlanta’s starting QB’s since 2021:
2021- Matt Ryan
2022- Marcus Mariota
2023- Desmond Ritter- They went 7-10/7-10/7-10 last three years
2024- Kirk Cousins/Michael Penix

Panthers
Carolina is 19-48 SU/27-38-2 ATS in four years since they let Ron Rivera go.
This year will be first time since 2018 they had same #1 QB two years in row.
Last four years, Panthers are 0-9 ATS as a favorite of 3 or fewer points.

Bears
Chicago’s single season leaders in passing yardage:
3,838- Erik Kramer, 1995
3,812- Jay Cutler, 2014
3,666- Jay Cutler, 2009
3,659- Jay Cutler, 2015
3,274- Jay Cutler, 2010

Cowboys
Dallas won Super Bowl after the 1995 season; since then, they’re 5-13 in playoff games.
Last three years, Cowboys were 12-5/12-5/12-5, but went 1-3 in playoffs.

Lions
Detroit won NFL titles in 1952, 1953, 1957, but none since.
In Super Bowl era, they’re 3-13 in playoff games.
In his 8-year career, QB Jared Goff in 5-4 in playoff games.

Packers
Last 7 years, favorites are 15-6 ATS in their NFC North home games.
Last five years, Green Bay is 6-1 ATS as a road dog vs NFC North rivals.

Rams
Lions took Matthew Stafford with 1st pick of 2009 Draft; Rams took OT Jason Smith with the 2nd pick, but he lasted only three years with the Rams, played another year with Jets.
Other QB’s picked in first round of ’09 Draft:
Mark Sanchez, 5th pick by Jets
Josh Freeman, 17th pick by Tampa Bay

Famous birthdays, August 23rd:
Barbara Eden, 93
Sonny Jurgensen, 90
Rik Smits, 58
Rex Grossman, 44
Mike Yastrzemski, 34
Seth Curry, 34
Tyler Glasnow, 31
Lane Thomas, 29
Bryce Miller, 26

Vikings
Kirk Cousins was Minnesota’s QB the last six years; in the 12 years before that, Vikings had used nine different #1 QB’s, everyone from Matt Cassel, Christian Ponder to Tavaris Jackson.
Since 2005, Minnesota is 3-5 in playoff games.

Giants
In two years under Daboll, Giants are 11-5-1 ATS at home.
In two years under Daboll, under is 12-5 in their home games.

Saints
New Orleans QB’s the last four years:
2020- Drew Brees
2021- Jameis Winston
2022- Andy Dalton
2023- Derek Carr- they went 37-30 in regular season, 1-1 in playoffs.

Eagles
Last three years, over is 19-6 in Philly home games.
Last year, Eagles went 11-6 despite a minus-10 turnover ratio; they fired both coordinators.

49ers
Last six times San Francisco made the playoffs, they went WWL
Last five years, 49ers are 4-1 ATS in their post-bye game.

Seahawks
Last three years, Seattle is 5-10-1 ATS as a home favorite.
Last three years, Seahawks are 16-10 ATS as an underdog.

Buccaneers
In Bruce Arians’ last two years, Tampa Bay was 29-10, 5-1 in playoffs.
First two years without Arians, they’re 18-19, 1-2 in playoffs.

Commanders
Washington hasn’t won a playoff game since 2005, when Joe Gibbs was coach.
Washington QB’s since 2017:
2017- Kirk Cousins
2018- Alex Smith
2019- Case Keenum
2020- Alex Smith
2021-22- Taylor Heinicke
2023- Sam Howell
2024- Jayden Daniels

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Cnotes53

Registered
Forum Member
Nov 5, 2017

FRIDAY, AUGUST 23

GameTime(ET)PickUnits
LA at WAS07:30 PMWAS -4.5
U 164.0
+500 +500
PHO at ATL07:30 PMATL +2.0
O 162.5
+500 +500
CHI at CON07:30 PMCON -11.0
U 154.0
+500 +500
LV at MIN09:30 PMLV -2.5
O 166.5
+500 +500

Udog

Registered
Forum Member
Sep 10, 2018
Armadillo Sports

Saturday’s 6-pack:

Most consecutive games with a home run:
8— Ken Griffey Jr, Don Mattingly, Dale Long
7— Mike Trout
7— Joey Votto
7— Kendrys Morales
7— Kevin Mench
7— Barry Bonds
7— Jim Thome

Quote of the Day
“Obviously Boras kind of butchered it, so I’m just trying to move on from the offseason and try to forget it.”
Arizona P Jordan Montgomery, throwing his agent under the bus

Saturday’s quiz
In the football movie Necessary Roughness, what was Texas State’s mascot?

Friday’s quiz
Actor Mark Harmon was the star of NCIS; he played QB for the UCLA Bruins.

Thursday’s quiz
Steph Curry played his college basketball at Davidson, in the Southern Conference.

Saturday’s Den: Random stuff with weekend here……..

— I’m confused why Amazon hired Kirk Herbstreit as the analyst for its Thursday night NFL games; Herbstreit never played in the NFL, he already has a big job doing college football on Saturday- what’s the point of him having two jobs?

My suggestion; former NFL QB Jay Cutler, who was supposed to be an analyst for CBS before the Dolphins signed him up to play QB for them in 2017. He played that year, CBS replaced Cutler with Tony Romo and Cutler hasn’t gotten another look from a network.

He was on TV a little; his ex-wife had a reality show about her business and Cutler was in that once in a while— he seems to have a sarcastic sense of humor. He played in the NFL for 12 years; his insights would be interesting.

— Seattle Mariners pushed the panic button Thursday, fired manager Scott Servais, who was 682-645 as Seattle’s manager since 2106.

Mariners are coming off a 1-8 road trip; they’re 20-34 in their last 54 games- they led the AL West by 10 games on June 18, and are 5.5 games behind Houston in the AL West, are 7.5 games out of a Wild Card slot.

Last four years, Seattle is 113-85 in one-run games; they’ve got an excellent starting rotation, but the hitters they brought in haven’t delivered, so Servais and the hitting coach were told to take a hike- they’re the scapegoats, not the general manager.

Hall of Famer Edgar Martinez was named the Mariners’ interim hitting coach; he was a great 3B for Seattle from 1987-2004.

I have Luis Castillo on my fantasy team, so I watch lot of Mariners games; their ballpark isn’t a good one for hitters, plus JP Crawford/Julio Rodriguez got hurt this year. As an A’s fan, I’m glad Servais is gone; think this move hurts their franchise.

— Meanwhile in Anaheim, the Angels gave GM Perry Minasian a contract extension thru 2026; Angels are 277-337 in his four years as GM, but the hideous Anthony Rendon contract was done before he was GM, and the Ohtani debacle was probably done in the owner’s office, so he gets a mulligan on the Angels’ recent failures.

Mike Trout is signed thru 2030 at $37M a year; he and Rendon combined make more money than the A’s entire roster, and Oakland just passed the Angels in the standings.

In Minasian’s first draft as Angels GM, he made headlines by selecting pitchers in all 20 rounds of the draft; Chase Silseth/Sam Bachman are only two who have made it to Anaheim so far.

Here’s the thing; Trout is 33 years old and has played in only three playoff games in his career. Sounds like Minasian has two years to fix that, or else……..

— Astros manager Joe Espada, Orioles manager Brandon Hyde are married to sisters, so with the Astros visiting Baltimore this weekend, it is a family reunion of sorts.

— There are only seven NFL teams this year that have the sane head coach and both of their coordinators back from last season. Five of those seven teams have the same QB this year.

— After spending three seasons as a backup, USC named Miller Moss its starting QB for this season; Moss threw for 372 yards, 6 TD’s in USC’s 42-28 bowl win over Louisville, after the Trojans had lost five of their last six regular season games with Caleb Williams at QB.

— Boise State named soph Maddux Madsen its starting QB over USC transfer Malachi Nelson, who was the Trojans’ 3rd-string QB last year. Madsen replaces Taylor Green, who bolted to Arkansas in college football’s seemingly endless game of quarterback hopscotch.

— Famous birthdays, August 24
Anne Archer, 77
Kevin Dunn, 68
Steve Guttenberg, 66

Cal Ripken Jr, 64
Reggie Miller, 59
Marlee Matlin, 59

Tim Salmon, 56
Allen Robinson, 31
Mason Miller, 26

— When the NFL Sunday Ticket switched from DirecTV to YouTube TV, I switched too, and I’m glad I did. It is less expensive, and I have way more viewing options, which isn’t great for my sleeping habits, but it is a lot more fun. While you’re sleeping, I’m watching replays of games or watching my favorite movies/TV shows.

I have every episode of my favorite TV shows recorded; if I go out while watching a show, I can finish it when I get home.

— Speaking of which……….
Movie of the Day: Necessary Roughness (1991)- Due to NCAA sanctions, Texas State University has to field a football team from their actual student body, with no scholarships to help, to play their football schedule. The results aren’t good.

Hector Elizondo/Robert Loggia are the team’s coaches, Scott Bakula is the 34-year old QB, Kathy Ireland is the kicker, Fred Thompson is the school president, Sinbad is a defensive lineman. Really good cast for a strange movie.

Mariners 6, Giants 5 (10)
Seattle trailed 5-1 in 8th inning, but got six consecutive singles during the game-tying rally.
Giants are five games out of the last Wild Card slot.

— San Diego SS Mason McCoy is 3-8 in three big league games this year; he batted once in six games for Toronto last year, all after he played in 767 minor league games, batting 2,865 times.

Dodgers 7, Rays 3
Shohei Ohtani hit a walk-off grand slam in this game.
Horrible bad beat if you bet the under in this game.
Ohtani became a 40-40 guy with that home run.

Blue Jays 5, Angels 4
Toronto got back/back homers in 9th inning from their #7/#8 hitters.
Angels have lost 11 of their last 14 games.

Orioles 7, Astros 5
Houston led 5-2 in 7th inning, then their bullpen imploded.
Anthony Santander’s grand slam was the game-winning hit.

— If the baseball playoffs started today (they don’t):
AL: New York, Guardians, Astros. Wild Cards: Orioles, Royals, Twins
NL: Phillies, Brewers, Dodgers. Wild Cards: Diamondbacks, Padres, Braves

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Cnotes53

Registered
Forum Member
Nov 5, 2017

SATURDAY, AUGUST 24

GameTime(ET)PickUnits
CON at NY07:00 PMNY -7.0
O 157.0
+500 +500
IND at MIN08:00 PMIND +5.5
O 166.0
+500 +500

Cnotes53

Registered
Forum Member
Nov 5, 2017
Sunday’s 6-pack:
Some Hall of Fame QB’s W-L record as a rookie:
7-2— Dan Marino
3-13—Peyton Manning
4-6— John Elway
0-11— Troy Aikman
0-5-1— Dan Fouts
0-1— Joe Montana
0-0- Brady, Brees, Rivers, Warner

Quote of the Day
“My heart is heavy today with the loss of my mentor and friend. Al was my roommate during my rookie season in the league. He taught me valuable lessons on being a professional that couldn’t be learned on the court. Later, as our coach during the 1975 championship season, he exemplified leadership, togetherness and a keen strategic ability that enabled us to succeed at the highest level.”
Hall of Famer Rick Barry, talking about the late Al Attles

Sunday’s quiz
Who is the only Toronto Blue Jay to throw a no-hitter?

Saturday’s quiz
In the football movie Necessary Roughness, Texas State’s football team were the Armadillos.

Friday’s quiz
Actor Mark Harmon was the star of NCIS; he played QB for the UCLA Bruins.

Sunday’s Den: Wrapping up a sports Saturday……..

— Georgia Tech 24, Florida State 21
Tech was a 10.5-point underdog in this game, played in Ireland.
Aidan Birr made a 44-yard field goal at the gun for the win.
Tech ran ball for 190 yards, 5.3 yards/carry.

— SMU 29, Nevada 24
Mustangs outscored Nevada 16-0 in 4th quarter.
SMU threw a 35-yard TD pass with 1:18 left for the win.
SMU was favored by 27.5 points, their first game as an ACC team.

— Montana State 35, New Mexico 31
Montana State scored two TD’s in last 4:35 for the road win.
Bobcats outscored New Mexico 21-0 in fourth quarter.
Despite being a I-AA team, Montana State was favored by 13.5 points.

— There are murmurs that UConn is going to bolt the Big East for the Big X in every sport except football in 2026- they would wait until 2031 to join the football Big X. UConn already bolted the Big East once; that didn’t go too well.
College sports is run by greedy, over-educated morons; wonder if Dan Hurley will bolt UConn for the NBA if that happens?

— Chargers 26, Cowboys 19
Dallas QB Trey Lance threw 5 INTs; he is the 2nd QB in last 30 years to throw 5 INTs in an exhibition game, joining Seattle’s Glenn Foley (6 INTs) in that select group.

— Packers 30, Ravens 7
Last two years, Baltimore is 0-6 ATS in exhibition games; from 2016-22, Ravens were 20-3 ATS in preseason tilts.

— Thanks to the Russell Wilson debacle, Denver Broncos have $53M in dead money on their salary cap this year, $32M more on next year’s cap.

— Life changes quickly; in 1989, Troy Aikman signed the biggest rookie contract in NFL history, a six-year deal worth $11.2M. He makes more than that broadcasting now.

Famous birthdays, August 25th:
Rollie Fingers, 78
Gene Simmons, 75
Ashley Crow, 64
Cornelius Bennett, 59
Albert Belle, 58
Robert Horry, 54
Marvin Harrison, 52
Justin Upton, 37
Max Muncy, 34

— Former NBA player/coach Al Attles passed away last week, at age 87; Attles played for the Warriors for 11 years, scoring 8.9 ppg, helping the Warriors win the Western Conference twice.
Attles then coached the Warriors for 14 years, leading them to the 1975 NBA title behind the great Rick Barry. Attles was 588-548 coaching Golden State; he was enshrined in the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame as part of the Class of 2019.
RIP, sir.

— After the Olympics, Denver Nuggets star Nikola Jokic bought all 11 of his teammates on the Serbian national team a Rolex watch, worth $32,500 each.

— On June 26, a Toronto-Boston game was suspended by rain in the 2nd inning; it will resume Monday. Catcher Danny Jansen started the game behind the plate for the Blue Jays, but was later traded to the Red Sox. When he takes the field Monday for Boston, he’ll become the first player EVER to play for both teams in the same game.

— Dodger 3B Max Muncy turns 34 Sunday; he was drafted by the A’s in the 5th round of the 2012 draft, played 96 games for Oakland, but became a star of sorts in Los Angeles.
Three years ago, the A’s drafted another Max Muncy, a high school shortstop who is hitting .277 in AAA for Las Vegas this year.
Why do I mention this? The younger Max Muncy was also born on August 25, which is weird.

— Rays 9, Dodgers 8 (10)
Junior Caminero tied the game with a 9th inning homer.
Jose Caballero won the game with a 10th inning homer.
Shohei Ohtani hit his 41st home run for the Dodgers.

— Blue Jays 3, Angels 1
Bowden Francis didn’t allow a hit until the 9th inning, when Taylor Ward hit is 117th pitch out of the park.
Francis was born in Tallahassee; there’s a pretty good chance that he was named after Bobby Bowden, the great football coach at Florida State.

— Cubs 14, Marlins 2
Seiya Suzuki homered twice, also hit a triple.
Cubs are 65-65, at .500 for first time since June 5th (6/5).

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Cnotes53

Registered
Forum Member
Nov 5, 2017

SUNDAY, AUGUST 25

GameTime(ET)PickUnits
LV at CHI12:00 PMCHI +9.0
O 168.0
+500 +500
LA at DAL04:00 PMLA +6.0
O 170.0
+500 +500

Udog

Registered
Forum Member
Sep 10, 2018
Armadillo Sports

Monday’s 6-pack:

Some modern QB’s W-L record as a rookie:
13-3– Dak Prescott
11-5— Russell Wilson
6-1— Lamar Jackson

6-3— Tua Tagovailoa
2-7-1— Joe Burrow
2-8— Matthew Stafford

5-10-1— Kyler Murray
1-0— Patrick Mahomes
0-0— Aaron Rodgers

Quote of the Day
“Whatever you do, always give 100%, unless you’re donating blood.”
Bill Murray

Monday’s quiz
Which Hall of Fame tennis player was a judge in an episode of Law & Order?

Sunday’s quiz
Dave Stieb (1990) is the only Toronto Blue Jay to throw a no-hitter.

Saturday’s quiz
In the football movie Necessary Roughness, Texas State’s football team were the Armadillos.

Monday’s Den: Wrapping up a sports Sunday…….

— Very busy couple of days for NFL front offices; teams have to trim their rosters from 90 players to 53 players, by 4:00 Tuesday.

1,184 players will be released, waived or put on injured lists; 544 of those players will wind up on somebody’s practice squad.

This week’s episode of Hard Knocks is usually the best one of the summer.

— Cruddy teams will be scouring the waiver wire, improving their roster by pouncing on guys cut by the better teams.

Tigers 9, White Sox 4
It is August 26, the White Sox have already lost 100 games.
They traded for Miguel Vargas from the Dodgers on July 29; he is 6-62 for Chicago.

Oy.

Padres 3, Mets 2
Mets led this game 2-0 in 8th inning,
Jurickson Profar tied game with an 8th inning home run.
Jackson Merrill walked it off with a ninth inning tater.

Astros 6, Orioles 3
ESPN’s Sunday night crew likes to put a microphone on a player and interview him while he’s in the field; for this game, they chose 20-year 2B Jackson Holliday, who is hitting .171 for an Oriole team that is 6-8 in its last 14 games, as they struggle to make the playoffs.

This is why ESPN has become annoying; Baltimore has a lot of good young players, why not choose one of those? Someone hitting over .200, maybe? Why put mikes on players at all? They just ask stupid questions and distract the players.

A’s 4, Brewers 3
When I was in Las Vegas for Opening Day of baseball season, the A’s season win total was 56.5; this was their 56th win this year, after last year’s horrific 50-112 nightmare.

A’s are 19-14 since the All-Star break; manager Mark Kotsay is doing a good job with the hand he was dealt.

Dodgers 3, Rays 1
Mookie Betts hit a 2-run homer in the 8th inning.
Dodgers are 78-53, have MLB’s best record.

Cardinals 3, Twins 2
Lars Nootbaar hit a two-run single with two out in 9th inning.
St Louis has won four of its last five games.

— Famous birthdays, August 26th:
Brett Cullen, 68
Melissa McCarthy, 54
Morris Peterson, 47

Macaulay Culkin, 44
David Price, 39
Elvis Andrus, 36

James Harden, 35
Ranger Suarez, 29
Kyren Williams, 24

— Cardinals’ C Willson Contreras broke the middle finger on his right hand when he was hit by a pitch Saturday, bad news for St Louis (and my fantasy team). Contreras missed six weeks earlier this year- he broke his left hand when a hitter smashed it while batting.

— The high temperature in Las Vegas Friday was 96, the first time in 65 days the temp didn’t to 100 degrees on the Strip. Friday’s low temp was 77, the lowest temperature in Las Vegas since June 20th.

— On August 4, 1982, Joel Youngblood played for two different teams in two cities, on the same day; he went 1-2 for the Mets against Hall of Famer Ferguson Jenkins at Wrigley Field, then got dealt to Montreal— he flew to Philadelphia, got a pinch hit off of Hall of Famer Steve Carlton in that game.

Five Hall of Famers played in that Expos-Phillies game.

— I’ve never had cotton candy or coffee; cotton candy looks gross. My parents drank coffee, but to me, it just looked like warm mud.

— Joe Musgrove has thrown 20 consecutive scoreless IP against the Mets.

— In 1952, a pitcher for the Tigers named Virgil Trucks threw a no-hitter on May 15 another one on August 25, and also threw a one-hitter on July 22nd.

What makes this interesting is Trucks’ record for 1952:

5-19, 3.97 in 29 starts, with two no-hitters and a one-hitter.

— There is no on-deck circle on the field at Fenway Park; it just looks strange.

— Congrats to Hall of Famer Rod Carew; the 78-year old native of Panama became an American citizen last week. Good for him!!! He was a career. 328 hitter, just a great freakin’ hitter.