Colin Powell to endorse Obama? A Fox report...

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

Chadman

Realist
Forum Member
Apr 2, 2000
SW Missouri
If this is true, I can think of few stronger endorsements than this one...and if Powell were to speak the same night as Bill Clinton...that would be some high powered promotion for the dems. Interesting the spokesperson so adamantly denies it - maybe Kristol is trying to stir up trouble in advance to try to keep it from happening?

---------------------

KRISTOL: COLIN POWELL TO ENDORSE BARACK OBAMA
by FOXNews.com
Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Former Secretary of State Colin Powell will endorse Barack Obama at the Democratic National Convention, Weekly Standard Publisher Bill Kristol told FOX News exclusively on Thursday.

?He may well give a speech at the Democratic convention explaining his endorsement of Obama,? Kristol said, citing inside sources. ?For whatever reason I think he has decided he?s going to endorse Obama. I think [Powell] has a high respect for Senator McCain, they go back a long way.?

Kristol continued, ?This is not an absolute done deal, but these people are very confident that Powell will endorse Obama.?

Kristol said sources told him Powell will ?quite possibly? speak at the Democratic convention on the same night as Obama?s vice-presidential selection and former President Bill Clinton.
?The Obama people are quietly trying to line up a pretty strong convention,? Kristol said. ?I think the Obama campaign shouldn?t be underestimated. Obviously anyone would like to have Powell?s endorsement.?

Powell spokeswoman Peggy Cifrino strongly denied the report.

?There?s absolutely no truth to it whatsoever,? Cifrino told FOXNews.com. ?Colin Powell will not be at either convention. There?s absolutely no truth to this.?

An endorsement by Powell could go a long way to attracting moderates and wayward Republicans to the presumptive Democratic presidential candidate.

Over the years, Powell himself has been touted as a potential presidential or vice presidential candidate. The former national security adviser served as chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff during the 1991 Persian Gulf War. He was secretary of state for the younger President Bush.

His tenure is most notable for presenting to the U.N. Security Council evidence that Iraq was pursuing weapons of mass destruction. His presentation led to a resolution endorsing military action against that country, but he later described it as a ?blot? on his record.

Powell has unofficially advised Obama and Republican candidate John McCain but had not endorsed anyone. A spokesman said in July that he was undecided.

In April, Powell praised Obama?s response to controversial remarks by his former pastor, the Rev. Jeremiah Wright, who had said the United States brought the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks on itself by supporting terrorism and that the government created the AIDS virus to ?destroy people of color.?

?I thought that Senator Obama handled the issue well,? said Powell, the nation?s first black secretary of state. ?He didn?t abandon the minister that brought him closer to his faith, but at the same time he deplored the kinds of statements that the Reverend Wright had made.?

Obama later turned his back on Wright after the minister courted controversy again with additional comments in public.

Eddie Haskell

Matt 02-12-11
Forum Member
Feb 13, 2001
Cincinnati
aclu.org
Chad:

This would be big. Fox getting an actual news story. Wow, another first. A lot of republicans respect Colin Powell. The extreme right wing of the party doesn't care about Powell or other moderate republicans but then again, most of them are current racists, former nazi's, nutbag one issue religous right psychopaths, or some other form of malignancy impersonating humanity.

Eddie

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg
MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg
MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

djv

Forum Member
Nov 4, 2000
None of the above is going to happen. FOX is wrong again.

DOGS THAT BARK

Forum Member
Jul 13, 1999
Bowling Green Ky
Maybe Powell could give Obama some advice--like when O said we could punish Russia by threatening to remove them from U.N. security council--
he could remind O that they are one of 5 permanant members with veto power and that would be impossible. :SIB

Lets see per article--
Kristol
--"He may well give a speech at the Democratic convention"
-- Kristol said sources told him Powell will ?quite possibly? speak at the Democratic convention

Powell--
?I am not going to the convention. I have made this clear.?
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Appears O does have several new supporters coming out lately however--;)

Illegal Obama donors: Middle Eastern Arabs
Gazan brothers' illicit contributions listed in government campaign filings

JERUSALEM ? Palestinian brothers inside the Hamas-controlled Gaza Strip are listed in government election filings as having donated $29,521.54 to Sen. Barack Obama's campaign.

Donations of this nature would violate election laws, including prohibitions on receiving contributions from foreigners and guidelines against accepting more than $2,300 from one individual during a single election, Bob Biersack, a spokesman for the Federal Election Commission, told WND in response to a query.

Last edited:
MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

DoMyDermBest

Forum Member
Oct 7, 2003
Deep in the heart of Texas
Thought the General became nuclear after his Iraq has WMD's in the UN speech. He's way too tired to campaign for VP. He has since denied that he has an endorsement to make. At this point, does a retired general carry anymore punch than Oprah's?

gardenweasel

el guapo
Forum Member
Jan 10, 2002
"the bunker"
Chad:

This would be big. Fox getting an actual news story. Wow, another first. A lot of republicans respect Colin Powell. The extreme right wing of the party doesn't care about Powell or other moderate republicans but then again, most of them are current racists, former nazi's, nutbag one issue religous right psychopaths, or some other form of malignancy impersonating humanity.

Eddie

i agree with the counselor(at least on the coherent part of his post...the 4 word first sentence)....getting colin to the dem convention to make a speech on behalf of bock would be a big help,as most americans perceive him and dems in general as being extremely weak on national security.....

while an endorsement helps a little...a speech at the convention(with the nation watching) would be quite a coup...

Last edited:

Eddie Haskell

Matt 02-12-11
Forum Member
Feb 13, 2001
Cincinnati
aclu.org
Gary:

Again, none of my posts are meant to be in anyway coherent. I'm doing my best to be like my hero Alan Dershowitz. I want to meander somewhere between brilliance and insanity.

Eddie

gardenweasel

el guapo
Forum Member
Jan 10, 2002
"the bunker"
Gary:

Again, none of my posts are meant to be in anyway coherent. I'm doing my best to be like my hero Alan Dershowitz. I want to meander somewhere between brilliance and insanity.

Eddie

when i saw the pictures of you from the golf carnival......and saw that you actually looked more like jonathan steed than wally cox,my entire perception of you was shattered....

i now have a new found admiration for you(shallow of me,i know)....

now,i always picture you in a distinctive bowler and carrying a cane(not due to infirmity,but as a weapon to smite neocons)....

:hail

Last edited:

Eddie Haskell

Matt 02-12-11
Forum Member
Feb 13, 2001
Cincinnati
aclu.org
Problem is my companion does not look like, or remind me of in anyway, Emma Peel. Further, I don't photograph well and am much more attractive in person. Ask anyone.

Kinda regal, an aire of confidence, yet not cocky. Self-assured without intrusion. A touch of grey, yet boyish good looks. Enthusiasm and a zest for life. Light up a room when I walk in. Usually center of attention. Hired a biographer to do my life story for an upcoming book, Riell Hunter.

Eddie

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

gardenweasel

el guapo
Forum Member
Jan 10, 2002
"the bunker"
Problem is my companion does not look like, or remind me of in anyway, Emma Peel. Further, I don't photograph well and am much more attractive in person. Ask anyone.

Kinda regal, an aire of confidence, yet not cocky. Self-assured without intrusion. A touch of grey, yet boyish good looks. Enthusiasm and a zest for life. Light up a room when I walk in. Usually center of attention. Hired a biographer to do my life story for an upcoming book, Riell Hunter.

Eddie

i asked for that....:rolleyes:

/i feel like i`m in hell,responding to edward on his favorite topic(himself)....

o.k... maybe not hell....maybe just the low rent district of purgatory....

you`re a piece of work,counselor....:lol:

Eddie Haskell

Matt 02-12-11
Forum Member
Feb 13, 2001
Cincinnati
aclu.org
Just the twilight zone, Gary. When I looked for Wayne to give him a hug as the sun was setting in the Indiana sky, I knew how crazy the world was.

If I can seek out the devil to wrap my arms around his slithery southern body, in my heart I know Russians and Georgians, Arabs and Jews, blacks and whites, democrats and republicans, cats and dogs can live together, one day, in peace and harmony.

Yes, we can.

I'm Eddie Haskell and I approve this post.

Eddie