College Football 2023

RBD

Registered
Forum Member
Jul 23, 2020
As always, I'll share picks in a few different situational spots I track.

No fake lines that aren't available when posted (and in some cases never were.)
No disappearing or fake record.
No attention 'ho, "GUARANTEED!" "LOCK!" "GAME-OF-THE-YEAR" BS, no "Hey, look at me! Love me, want me, NEED ME!" crap.
Just game opinions/picks, plus analysis, stats, when-to-buy strategy, and money management tips.
And hopefully, by season's end, more W's than L's.

I employ a few different situational spots I've developed over the years. I will list all games that fit the parameters to qualify as a play.
I don't buy/recommend all the spots that qualify.
Why post the ones I don't buy? Record keeping purposes, and in case anyone is looking for edges on that particular game.

I have different goals than most bettors do.
Goal number one is - Do Not Lose Money.
Some will say, "What kind of goal is that? The goal should be to make money!"
It's called a realistic goal.
Fact is, MOST bettors lose. They are loathe to admit it (especially on the internet, where almost everybody "wins") but it is a fact.
So, as the physicians' creed goes, "Primum non nocere" or ("First, do no harm" - in this case, to my bankroll.)

If I don't play to win money, then why bet?
I didn't say I don't wager to win, I said it's not my first goal.
Goal number two is to make a profit.
Goal number three is The Grail - 67%

There are other reasons I bet, and share my picks, thoughts, and advice.
It's a chess game to me - as an odds maker, can my #'s beat the books? And it's a hobby, it's fun.
It's NOT a way to make a living (I ran a Vegas book for years and saw far too many people lose everything because they had a "system" so they moved to Vegas to enjoy an "easy life" of betting sports. And 99% of them disappeared before the season ended.)

And I share because I am altruistic by nature.
If you're a winning, experienced bettor, congrats, I wish you continued success. I post for newbies and people who are struggling. Hopefully I can help them.

Got my ass kicked last year, reg season, brought my 3 year record at MJ's down from grinding out a two year profit at 55% to lost juice at an even .500, 51-51.

Here are the spots that qualify (some may be added or removed on game day when I update using final numbers):
Play #1 has . . .
Overs: (Last Year 54-42, 56%) - Mass/N Mex St, UCF, Conn, Min, Mia, G Tech, Ok, Iowa, Wash St, Ill, V Tech
Unders: (LY 40-27, 59%) - LA Tech, TCU, Ind, Hou, UCLA

Play #2 has . . .
Overs: (LY 15-9, 62%) Fla, 'Bama
Unders: (LY 15-15, 50%) Buff, Mass/Aub, N Mex, Wash St

So, with solid W %'s on 3 of 4 spots I use, how come I did so poorly last season?
1) Because I did a lousy job at picking which games to buy, and which games to stay off of
2) Because Play #2 Unders had the best record combined the previous two seasons, so I leaned heavily on them, and they only hit at 50%
3) Because I didn't use Unders in Play #1 despite a > 15 year history of a solid W% overall

Three year record for these spots:
Play #1 Ov 124-128, 49%; Un 96-75, 56%
Play #2 Ov 92-90, 50%, Un 89-56, 61%

Un in Play #2 has the highest W % but had that freak 2020 of 23-4, posted, which skews the #'s; was just .500 the last two years.
Un in Play #1 has a solid W % at 56% last three years, but has been hitting at that % for over 15 years now (don't have all my log books with me or I'd add the record for other years.) It's the most consistent play I have, and until/if it starts losing I'm going to ride most of them this year. Buying the three early games for sure, will wait for those results to come in before making a call on buying the two late games, Hou and UCLA.

GOOD LUCK TO ALL THE MAD JACKERS THIS SEASON!!!

Buys:
Fla Int/LA Tech Un 59 (# is at 59/58', dropping, buy now)
Col/TCU Un (wait to buy, I think the line will move in my favor)
Ohio St/Ind Un (wait to buy, I think the line will move in my favor)

Last edited:

RBD

Registered
Forum Member
Jul 23, 2020
Thanks Rocky, same to you.

Update, some additions some subtractions (updates are always for Play #2 only, line changes don't affect qualifications for Play #1.)

Added plays:
S. Jose St/USC Un, Tex St/Baylor Un.
No longer qualifies:
Mass/Aub Un

May may do one more update tomorrow morning.

A lot of line movements on Overs in Play #1, the number dropping by as many as two and three points. I'll see how the early games go and if I spot a trend I may play it in some of the later games.

Still holding off on buying the last two games noted above, watching the lines.

The countdown begins, only about 24 hours before I start yelling at my TV again!

Hope everyone has a great opening day...

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

RBD

Registered
Forum Member
Jul 23, 2020
Update:
Added game, Play #2, Fla Int/LA Tech Ov 57'.

This addition gives me conflicting spots, Play #1 says take the Un, Play #2 says take the Ov.

I'm not happy about this, not because the plays conflict but because on Thursday I spent about an hour charting the record for when the two plays match or are in conflict. But I left my notes in my office and I don't remember what the record is for when Play #1 says take the Un, Play #2 says take the Ov!!!
I remember the strongest play is when both of them say take the Un, the 2-year record was just over 70%, but I don't remember what the percentages are for the situation I have today.

I guess it doesn't matter anyway since I already bought the game Un 59 anyway, and I'm not buying off it.
At least I got the better number as it's down to 57' and a half now.

After the final handicap this morning it looks like I'll just have that one play. If I buy any second half plays I'll post them here.

Kick off time coming up!
Good luck to all the Mad Jackers today and all season long . . .

RBD

Registered
Forum Member
Jul 23, 2020
Recap: 1-0
Record: 1-0

Review: Less than ONE minute into the game LA Tech runs for a 67 yard TD and I'm thinking, "Uh-oh, that's not good for my Under."
The score was 17-13 at halftime, on pace for an Over, but a scoreless Q3 put me back on track and the game stayed Un by 20 pts.

Play #1 went 2-0, Ov 1-0, Un 1-0
Play #2 went 0-2, Ov 0-1, Un 0-1

Updates:

Usually Play #1 has no added games or games taken down because they no longer qualify, but after doing an update/double check on my #'s three games no longer qualify: Miami, Ark St, and Hou.

Added for Play #2: Kent St/UCF Ov, C Mich/Mich St Ov.

My charts show (Last 2 Yrs) that when both Plays say "Take the Ov" the record is 7-1. Kent St/UCF fits that scenario today, but I'm not sure about two things - the weather, and whether or not K St (who has ZERO starters returning on the offense) can score enough to get this # Over the total. The # has dropped but I'm not feeling it, I'll keep looking at it (and the other games tonight) and I'll post up if I do any buys.

Good luck with your play tonight . . .

RBD

Registered
Forum Member
Jul 23, 2020
Final update below, one game added, one game comes off.

Well, I was right and wrong on the Kent State UCF analysis in my last post.
I was right that I couldn't count on Kent State scoring any points, they only put up six.
But I was wrong to ignore the stat that said when both plays match the record is 7-1.
Wrong, because it's 8-1 now.
Same mistake I made last year, playing too conservatively.
Anyway . . .
The Mass/Aub game no longer qualifies for Play #2 and W. Virg/Penn St Ov is added.
Correction: missed one of the updates Wash St/Col St no longer qualifies for Play #2.

Update: Kick off just a couple minutes away but for accuracy on the record Wisconsin no longer qualifies.

I bought the Col/TCU Un this morning. Waiting was definitely the right move, the line went up 4 pts. Didn't get any movement on the other buy, Ohio St/Indy.

That's all for right now, will likely add more throughout the day.

Good luck with your play today.

Buys:
Col/Tcu Un 63'
Ohio St/Indy Un 59'

Last edited:
MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

RBD

Registered
Forum Member
Jul 23, 2020
Recap: 1-1
Record: 2-1

Recap: Got crushed on Un in Col/TCU, got an easy W on Un with Ohio St/Indy.

Overall week one I did okay, I'd grade myself a B minus.
I didn't lose money, so I got that going for me, and 2-1 isn't a bad start, but played too tight, had a bad miss not using my own numbers regarding Kent St/UCF: "My charts show (Last 2 Yrs) that when both Plays say "Take the Ov" the record is 7-1."
Have chance at redemption though as I have three spots that match this week, 1 Ov and 2 Un.

Play #1 record: 9-5, Ov 6-3, Un 3-2 (only 13 of 14 games posted; didn't get a chance to update an added play, LSU/Fla St Un, it lost.)
Play #2 record: 3-6, Ov 3-3, Un 0-3

Now that I have a little data charted I'll open up my play a bit this week.
Early look shows some things I can work with, playing ON Play #1 Ov or Un, and Fading Play #2 Unders.

Two problems though.
First, for Play #1 - my data source that I use for #'s to qualify spots has changed, not sure what the new calculations will bring.
Second, Play #2, I like choices, but don't like when I have too many like I do this week. It makes me think my #'s may be off (Yes, I double checked them, still have too many spots qualifying.)

Here are this week's spots. The ones I buy will be posted below.

Play #1:
Overs - Ball St/Geo, W Mich/Syr, Iowa/Iowa St, UNLV/Mich, Tex/'Bama, Char/Mary.
Unders - Miss/Tul, Hou/Rice, C Fla/Boise, Mem/Ark St, Temp/Rutgers, S Miss/Fla St, Aub/Cal

Play #2:
Overs - Vandy/Wake, J Mad/Virg, Utah/Bay, Marsh/E Car, App St/N Car, N Tex/Fla Int, Tex/'Bama, Md Tn St/Mizoo, Hou/Rice, Char/Mary
Unders - Ill/Kan, Neb/Col, W Mich/Syr, Miss/Tulane, Tex St/Tex SA, UCF/Boise, Wisc/Wash.

Like I said, WAY too many spots qualify.

For now, two buys. I don't like buying a play I stayed off of the previous time it showed up and I missed out on a W, but I have a match with Charlotte/Maryland Ov (same as Kent St/UCF last week), and I'm riding it. Not sure which way the # will go, 51' across the board right now but some houses have extra juice on the Un, so I'll wait a day or two to see if it drops a little.

I also have matches on Miss/Tulane Un and C Fla/Boise Un. The two year record when both plays say Un is 4-1, but Play #2 Un lost all three games LW (last week) so I'm hesitant to use them even with the match to Play #1 Un, which was only 3-2 LW. The Over has better numbers so I'll grab that match play.

Buying W Mich/Syr now while there are still 56' out there.

Good luck with your play this week.

Buys:
W Mich/Syr Ov 56'
Char/Mary Ov (wait to buy)

Last edited:
Reactions: OtroPex

RBD

Registered
Forum Member
Jul 23, 2020
Update: Final 'cap, add-ons and eliminated plays.
Play #2, games that no longer qualify: Neb/Col, Miss/Tulane, UCF/Boise: Added play, Ok St/Az St Ov

Good move on waiting to buy Ov on Char/Mary, was 51', now 50.

I'll add more buys as the day goes on.

Update: I just noticed I have a match on Ov on Tex/'Bama. I missed it when I did my original post on Wednesday. Very likely will be added as a buy, the line is dropping so no need to make a decision right now.

Good luck with your play today.

Buys:
W Mich/Syr Ov 56'
Char/Mary Ov 50

Last edited:

RBD

Registered
Forum Member
Jul 23, 2020
Recap: 1-1
Record: 3-2

Review: From last week's post - "Update: I just noticed I have a match on Ov on Tex/'Bama. I missed it when I did my original post on Wednesday. Very likely will be added as a buy."
That match play spot was 7-1 LY, 1-0 this season. So, question - why didn't I come back in and post Tex'Bama Ov as a buy? Answer - W Mich/Syr!!!
That game was not a match play on the Over, but based on other stats I bought it at Ov 56'.
Had 52 pts scored at halftime, Orange on top and crushing it at 45-7. With 52 already scored my Ov 56' was $ in the bank, right?
WRONG!
Total pts scored, 2nd half? 3.
52 in the 1st half, and then . . . 3.
I was so pissed off I shut the TV and left the house, went for a jog, was done with kid's ball for the day.

My other play, one that was in the match play Ov, Char/Mar Ov 50 came in at 58 so I got back to even on the day.

W Mich/Syr screwed me twice - first with the almost-scoreless 2nd half, and second, when it left me so disgusted with 'capping kid's ball that I missed out on a W by not buying Tex/'Bama, which went over by 5 pts. (Technically, I screwed myself by not betting the 'Bama game, but I'm blaming Syr anyway.) That match play on Overs is now 3-0 this season.

This week, bad news. As noted last week: "For Play #1 - my data source that I use for #'s to qualify spots has changed, not sure what the new calculations will bring." It went 7-6, Ov 2-4, Un 5-2. But this week it kicked out WAY too many plays, meaning the change in data is no longer of value for the way I used it to 'cap. After more than 17-18 years, I'm left without my main situational play to 'cap.

On the good news side, after a lousy week one, Play #2 went 10-4, Ov 6-4, Un 4-0 in week two. Season record now 13-10, Ov 9-7, Un 4-3.

This week's spots, Play #2:
Overs: Army/Tex SA, Fla Int/Con, Ok/Tulsa, BYU/Ark
Un: Syr/Purdue

After they screwed me last week I'm not in the mood to let Syracuse do me dirty again, probably lay off that one.
The Fla Int/Con spot is a match because it also qualifies as one of the way-too-many Play #1 spots. I'll likely buy it even though Overs on Conn games are never any fun. It opened as high a 46 at some houses, down to 40' today, witth good reason - U Conn has a whopping 28 pts scored in two games combined this season. They're ranked 124 in PPG, 110 in RY, 104 in PY.

IF I buy the Ov at 40' I'm probably gonna need 39' from Fla Int.

Number is dropping, no need to buy today. Have to watch closely though, if it drops into the 38/39 range there'll be a buy back from guys who jumped on the opening number Un, looking to get a very nice TD middle.

No buys yet, just sharing some info.
Good luck with your play this week.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

RBD

Registered
Forum Member
Jul 23, 2020
Final update and some buys.

No longer qualifies: Fla Int/Con
Added: Overs on E Car/App St, N Ill/Neb, Fresno St/Az St

E Car 0-1 in this play, App St 1-0.

I'm glad the UConn game came down. I was going to take it because it was a match play, but didn't like it at all.

Missed an opportunity, Play #2 had Army Ov last night, flew Ov by 19. Play #2 Ov now 10-7, a solid 58%.

Update: added the total on Oklahoma game

Buys:
Ok/Tulsa Ov (a definite buy but, wait)
E Car/App St Ov 48

Last edited:
Reactions: rocky mountain

RBD

Registered
Forum Member
Jul 23, 2020
Recap: 2-0
Record: 5-2

Review:
E Car clears the bar by 23 pts.
Ok had 52 pts of 58 needed pt by halftime, only needed 7 in the second half but I wasn't counting my chickens yet because 52 was the same number Syracuse had in the first half last week and I only needed 5 pts in the second half to win; and they only scored 3!!! But OK/Tulsa scored 31 in the second half and that one sailed Ov by 25.

And speaking about Syracuse, I stayed off them last week after they screwed me the week before, and turns out THAT decision screwed me because they won on the Un play. But it all washes out - I saved a unit by avoiding buying Conn Ov early in the week as the line moved on game day and it no longer qualified as a play. And it stayed Un by 2.

Play # 2 went 6-1 last week, season now at 19-11 a very respectable 63%, 14-8 Ov, 5-3 Un. If this continues it's going to be a very good year.

This week's games that qualify:
Overs: SMU/TCU, Miss/'Bama, LA Tech/Neb, Tex SA/Tenn, Miss St/S Car, N Car/Pitt, Kent St/Fresno St
Un: Wisc/Purdue, Nev/Tex St, N Mex St/Haw

I like the Tenn Ov spot but missed out on the best #, was 59, down to 56 now, I try to avoid buying spots if I missed out on the best # by a FG or >.
Same situation with the Un on the Nev game, line already moved 3 pt against me.
On the other hand, I like the S Car spot and it's moving in my favor, will wait on that one, likely a buy unless I see something I don't like as I dig deeper into the stats. Like N Car spot too.

No buys yet.

Last edited:
Reactions: rocky mountain

RBD

Registered
Forum Member
Jul 23, 2020
Final update:
No longer qualify - Miss/'Bama, Nev/Tex St
Added plays - Ov on Rice/S Fla, Ak/Ind, Tex/Bay
Correction - missed one, UCLA/Utah Ov qualifies.

Not sure what I'm going to do today, nothing calling out to me, "Hey, bet on me!"
I'm not always right obviously but at least when I bet it's because I see something that stands out, just not feeling it this morning.

I guess I'll use the early game and hope the plays are working and I get off to a good start.

Buys:
SMU/TCU Ov 63'

Last edited:
MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

RBD

Registered
Forum Member
Jul 23, 2020
Recap: 0-2
Record: 5-4

The only play left that I'm charting and sharing here is now at 25-16, 60%, (19-12 Ov, 6-4 Un) +7.4 units.
I'm at +.6 units.
See the problem?
I'm not doing a good job at deciding which spots to buy and which to lay off.
So this week I'm taking the decision making out of it and buying all spots that qualify, except added plays (5-7 record this year.)
The only decision I'm making will be when to buy, based on anticipated line movement.

This play has a winning record in three of four weeks, so I'm taking a risk playing the full slate but a small one.

Here are the games that qualify:
Ov in Utah/Ore St, Az St/Cal, Geo/Aub, Hou/Tex Tech, Ore/Stan, E Car/Rice, Char/SMU, W Virg/TCU, 'Bama/Miss St Ov
Un in Virg/BC, Tex St/Miss St

Wish there were more Unders.

If I was picking spots, I'd eliminate the Az St and Tex St games because Az St is 0-2 on Ov in this play (their offense sucks, ranked 125 out of 133) and Tex St is 0-2 Un. But their opponents are 0-0 so hopefully they'll get me competive in the games.

'Bama and Miss St line up nicely, 'Bama 2-0 Ov and Miss St 1-0 Ov.

A note on dropped and added plays, the adjustments I make on Saturday mornings due to line movements.
Dropped plays are 3-5, so it's a good move to drop them. Added plays are just 5-7, so games that qualify late should be avoided.
Can't/won't buy most spots today due to line moves going in my favor, plus some games will be eliminated as they qualify by a slim margin and are likely to be dropped .

UPDATE: Bought BC. Rather than bump my post to the top with new replies every time I buy a game I'll just add updates here.
UPDATE: Bought Utah. Missed the best # when it opened but a good job on monitoring the line and buying yesterday at 54 on BC as it's 53'/53 now. Getting Utah now while 44 is available, it's stating to rise.
Also, Louis/NC St Un now qualifies as a play. Correction on above record for added plays (I missed one) 6-7 not 5-7; Ov 6-6, Un 0-1. I said I'm buying all spots this week but I'm not buying late-to-qualify added games due to losing record.

Buys:
Utah/Ore St Ov 44
Char/SMU Ov 52'
Virg/BC Un 54

Last edited:

RBD

Registered
Forum Member
Jul 23, 2020
Recap: 0-1
Record: 5-5

Well, "Bet Every Game that Qualifies" week got off to a terrific start last night. The game I didn't buy because it was an add-on game, Un on Louis/NC St stayed Under, and the game I did buy, Ov on Utah/Ore St, stayed Under too.
I don't mind losing a game, that's part of the chess match, but that was one of the most boring games I've ever watched. If Utah played Iowa it would end in overtime at 0-0.

No added plays today, but three no longer qualify:
Un on Virg/BC and Tex St/S Miss, Ov on Hou/Tex Tech.

And there's the problem with buying early, there's always a chance a game will no longer qualify on game day, like Virg/BC. I already bought it so it counts on my record here, but not on the record of the play.

I'm buying the rest of the card now except for the late game, Alabama. Their defense has given up 10 or less in three or four games and I really don't like the Ov on today's number.

Really wish there were more Unders on the card.

Buys:
Char/SMU Ov 52'
Virg/BC Un 54
Az St/Cal Ov 47
Geo/Aub Ov 44'
Ore/Stanford Ov 59'
E Car/Rice Ov 45'
W Virg/TCU Ov 52

Last edited:

RBD

Registered
Forum Member
Jul 23, 2020
Recap: 2-5
Record: 7-10

Well, "Bet Every Game That Qualifies" week started AND ended the same way - lousy.
I DIDN'T buy the first spot of the weekend (Louisville) and it won, and I DIDN'T buy the last spot (Alabama) and it won.
What happened to bet EVERY game?
So instead of dropping one unit I dropped three.
Picking and choosing which ones to bet screws me again.

The play is now 29-22, Ov 21-18, Un 8-4.
This week I AM buying all spots.

Update, 10/4: Adding buys.

Yes, Jax St is 4-1 while Mid Tn St is 1-4, but dig deeper, look at the teams they've faced.

Jax St: S Houston 0-4. E Mich 2-3, Coastal 2-3, E Tenn St 1-3, UTEP 1-5. A bunch of losers with a combined record of 6-18!

Mid Tn St: W Kent 3-2, Col St 1-2, Murray St 2-2, Mizoo 5-0, Alabama 4-1. A tough schedule including 'Bama and Mizoo, combined record of 15-7.

Desperation spot at Hm for the Blue Raiders, I'm on 'em.

And I bought the Ov too. It doesn't fit any of the situational plays I use, but I think J State's vaunted Top Twenty D (ranked #19, giving up only 15 PPG) is a mirage that comes from facing weak offenses (with the exception of Coastal):
S Hou 9 PPG, E Mich 16 PPG, E Ten St 19 PPG, UTEP 16 PPG.
Those teams aren't scoring on anybody, not just Jax St.
Mid Ten ST isn't scoring very much themselves, YET, but off a tough Rd loss last week I think they'll find their rhythm on offense at Hm tonight.

Buys:
Mid Ten St -3
Jax St/Mid Ten St Ov 52
W Kent/LA Tech Ov 59'
Tol/Mass Un 58'
LSU/Mizoo Un 65
N Tex/Navy Un 60'
Tex St/La Laf Un 69
Old Dom/S Miss Un 58
Col St/Utah St Un 63'

Last edited:

RBD

Registered
Forum Member
Jul 23, 2020
Recap: 2-1
Record: 9-11

Okay, good start to the week, missed with MTS -3 (nice 2nd half Blue Boys, into the locker room up 21-7 then come back out and get outscored 38-7??!!) got W's with Over in MTS and W Kentucky games; knocked 1/3 off the unit count deficit.

Six spots left this weekend, hope to add one or two more when I do my final 'cap on Saturday morning.

Buys:
Tol/Mass Un 58'
LSU/Mizoo Un 65
N Tex/Navy Un 60'
Tex St/La Laf Un 69
Old Dom/S Miss Un 58
Col St/Utah St Un 63'

Last edited:

RBD

Registered
Forum Member
Jul 23, 2020
Saturday morning update.

The Toledo/Mass game no longer qualifies as a play. It will count towards my record since I bought it earlier in the week but not on the record for the play I chart and share here. At least I got a good number on it at 58', I see it as low as 55' this morning.

I have one added game, 'Bama/Tex A&M Ov.
Yes, I said I was going to buy every spot this week, but I have that thing where I don't like to bet on a game that I passed on the previous time it was a play and it won. I'm adverse to that whole "Jump on the bandwagon/Johnny come lately" thing, and since the same thing happened last week - 'Bama Over was a late add-on that I didn't buy and it won - I'm not going to buy it today.

I've got an easy day scheduled, plan on watching a few games and hopefully making some additional bets, maybe some halftime adjustments. Will add to this post if I do.

Good good luck to you all with your plays today.

Buys:
Tol/Mass Un 58'
LSU/Mizoo Un 65
N Tex/Navy Un 60'
Tex St/La Laf Un 69
Old Dom/S Miss Un 58
Col St/Utah St Un 63'

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

RBD

Registered
Forum Member
Jul 23, 2020
Recap: 3-3
Record: 12-14

An okay week at 4-3, I'll take it.

Back later with some info, but for now, this one's starting to drop at some houses so I grabbed it today while 44 is readily available.
An 0-2 spot this season says play this one Ov, so I'm fading it. It's a new situational spot I found this week while running numbers, not a lot of data but it's also 2-4 when it says take the Un for a combined 2-6 so I'm gonna ride it until the record reverses.

Buys:
UTEP/FIU Un44

RBD

Registered
Forum Member
Jul 23, 2020
E Car owes me for that pitiful performance vs Rice's lousy D.
I'll be back with a breakdown of the play, posting now while there are still multiple houses with 51, some moving to 51'.

Buys:
UTEP/FIU Un 44
SMU/E Car Ov 51

Bet on MyBookie