Cowboy question

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

4bubba

Forum Member
Jun 10, 2001
Las Vegas, NV
Atl -2 (If I could get Atlanta @ +2, I would have to take out a loan).

Anyway, the opposite side of the arguement (I have been in favor of ATL) is the opening game last year on Thur night.
The 49er were off a good 13-3 season and made the playoffs. They should have beaten the Giants by 20 points on paper. The line was SF -3.

Whether it was the 9/11 terrorist intensity, or ?, but the Giants could have won outright. As it was, the 49ers won by 3.

The 49ers went on to a mediocre season, and the Giants developed into a very good team. Of course the Giants had a good veteran QB, RB and WR group along with rookie sensation TE Shockey. Dal does not really have anyone I would call a ProBowl potential player.

Got5onIt

MeanGreen
Forum Member
Oct 20, 2002
MeanGreen Nation
Falcons are a SuperBowl contender this year.
The Cowboys only have Bill Parcells. The guy is an outstanding coach, but the QB position is very questionable with Hutchinson & Carter, the running game will be headed by an unproven undrafted free agent in Troy Hambrick, and their O-line was one of the worst in the league last season. Parcells did pick up some free agents to help the O-line this year. And how can anyone forget the Vick factor?? I think Atlanta -2 is a VERY solid play. If the line continues to fall I'll have to pull a 2nd mortgage on the house!!!:D

ELVIS

Forum Member
Sep 25, 2002
memphis
ALREADY COMMENTED ON THIS LINE A WEEK AGO IN A DIFFERENT THREAD. I AM SURE VEGAS WILL TAKE ALL OF OUR $$. THIS LINE LOOKS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE. PARCELLS IS A GREAT COACH. HOWEVER, AS STATED ABOVE, ATLANTA WAS A PLAYOFF TEAM LAST YEAR AND DALLAS WAS NOT GOOD. DALLAS SHOULD NOT BE ABLE TO ADJUST TO VICK THAT QUICK. ALAS, THIS IS THE NFL. I WILL BE BETTING ON THE HAWKS. GL.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

4bubba

Forum Member
Jun 10, 2001
Las Vegas, NV
I have been thinking a lot about last years opener SF @ GIA.
The Gia had great emotion going into the game. Their motivation made the 49ers look like they were not ready for the game and SF used that excuse. But I think a bad team's best chance is during the opener. They are even with everyone.

I might even lean toward Dallas if they were not playing Atlanta. No matter how motivated you are, QB Vick can carry a team on his back.

The Cowboys have not signed their #1 pick who is supposed to be a good CB. If he is projected to start, he will want a lot of money. Keep an eye on when he signs.

bjfinste

Forum Member
Mar 14, 2001
AZ
Although this is the NFL and anything can happen with agents involved, Dallas is expected to have each of their top 3 picks signed by camp (CB Newman, C Johnson and TE Whitten). All three should make some sort of an immediate impact. They have each been in Dallas working out with the team during the summer and will be there until July 7, then they are off until camp starts.

From what I hear, the conditioning drills they are going through every Mon-Fri are hell, so if nothing else, the team should be in a little better shape than last year. Also, each player has a set weight they must be at to start camp. The players must pay, I believe it is, $296 per day, per pound they are over. So that is certainly some incentive.

4bubba

Forum Member
Jun 10, 2001
Las Vegas, NV
All teams expect to have their draft picks signed by camp.
All teams expect to have their draft picks signed by preseason.
All teams expect to have their draft picks signed by the regular season.
All teams expect all their draft picks to make the team and contribute.

Otherwise, why draft at all?

None of these things mean anything.

The proof is in the pudding. Keep an eye to the actual signings.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

bjfinste

Forum Member
Mar 14, 2001
AZ
4bubba,

I'm not a fan of the Cowboys at all, but I'm close to the organization. Both Johnson and Whitten should, almost for sure, be signed. Johnson's only snag will be total years (he wants a 4-year deal), but Whitten should be easily done. Newman could be a bit trickier but there is a strong focus on having him signed before camp to avoid a Roy Williams situation like last year. As long as Jerry doesn't try to shortchange the guys, which really isn't his style, they'll be in. Bill wants the guys in, and they know that if they aren't in camp, they won't be on the field.

4bubba

Forum Member
Jun 10, 2001
Las Vegas, NV
I understand.

Actually I was more talking about the first round picks. History has shown that players after the first round are fairly easy to sign. Personally, I would rather see all draft picks from every team signed by training camp.