Derby!

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

Jimboski

Forum Member
Dec 15, 2005
Florida
Good to seeya, HM.

I focus sooo much on Philly that I don't even know whose running in the Derby. I used to follow the Triple Crown real close like when I lived in your terrirtory :) ... like the N.E. ... Brrrr!

Hit the N.Y. tracks in person many times and got to see Derby horses and follow them. I've done OK since just capping the Derby and I'm sure I'll come up with something and post it.

Having a good day today. Nailed two very fine zactas. Just a tip... but most folks don't pay any attention to OWNERS. You should, HM. This race that just completed at Philly paid off doing that. Check out the OWNER of the horse that just finished 2nd at 25-1.

If YOU'RE still online when I get off here.. I'll see if I have something for the LATE races at Philly today. I usually tail off after hitting ONLY 1 big one.. and today I've hit 2, so beware.

For this 8th race... . I got it down to the 3 favorites and that AIN'T good although the 8 and 9 are at decent odds.

The Belmont is the Triple Crowner that I REALLY like and had plenty of luck with. I still remember cashing in pretty dang good on one named "Sirava" in that one. YUM YUMMY. I definitely WILL post for the Belmont if there's a field of 8 or mo hosses in it.

G.L. HM.

Striker13

Forum Member
Mar 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
Uncle Mo will not be seeing any of my money. Dialed In will not work over the Churchill strip and is only going to have 1 work up to the derby????
Horses that are doing well as of now as far as physicality/work on track from sources in KY---

Shackleford
Midnight Interlude
Decisive Moment
Archarcharch

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

sharky17

ICECOLDBEERHERE
Forum Member
Apr 26, 2004
Shores of Lake Huron, Ontario
I wouldn't bet Dialed In with anyone's money...
I haven't written Uncle Mo off just yet.
And I hate to get off a horse after a dud, and I liked Stay Thirsty in the Florida Derby, so he'll get a bit of my money again.

Romans is very high on Shackleford, and it looks like he will get in now that JP's Gusto and The Factor won't go.

I am leaving from here next Wednesday night after work. Staying at a buddy's near Dayton and then we are heading for Louisville on the Thursday morning. We don't have seats for Derby Day....just hang out with the degenerates in the paddock, but I love it!

Only 8 more sleeps to vacation!

:toast:

hogman14

HBD Sports!
Forum Member
Nov 24, 2002
Franklin, MA
Thanks for the info Jimbo. Actually had $40 last year to win on Drosselmeyer in the Belmont. Greatest horse racing hit I've seen, lol. Took my buddy who tailed me and was looking at me like I was Hank Goldberg after we hit the Winner's Circle. Hope you did well. Work is getting in the way of racing lately, but the boss lets me throw on TVG now and then, LOL. Also Jimbo, Suffolk Downs is going to open this year. Woot Woot. No Mass Cap, and no live racing Derby Day, but it's something.

Striker, thanks for the info.

Sharky, you been before? That's on my sports bucket list.

Good luck fellas.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Striker13

Forum Member
Mar 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
Pedigree + Workout Info

Pedigree + Workout Info

Uncle Mo--By Indian Charlie and those runners usually are best up to 1 1/8 miles, his damsire Arch is a stamina influence though. Pletcher said last work was like having the old Uncle Mo back. You saw the Wood performance and I don't think it gets better going even longer.

Twice the Appeal-Winner of the Sunland Derby, don't think he is 1 1/4 horse and is small in build and is said to not be taking to the churchill strip right now. Toss for me

Santiva- by Giants Causeway so distance is no problem and has won at Churchill but only having 2 preps and I don't even know how many different jocks isn't good. Workout reports from Churchill are that he is not very focused and just looks happiest when going back to the barn

Stay Thirsty(for Sharky)--Pedigree says go long but workout reports have him struggling to change leads and doesn't gallop out very well at all and he is on the smaller side physically. Ramon will ride.

Soldat- by a speed sire in War Front and has exceeded pedigree distance questions already. The last work at Palm Meadows was jaw dropping and he loves the slop. Did they take him back on purpose in the Fla Derby to get him used to some dirt kickback. Pay attention here.

Archarcharch-By stamina sire whose offspring are slow to develop in Arch, his female family also screams distance. Physically is looking even better with a nice coat and good looking flesh. Just galloping over the churchill track and has already raced there as a 2yo.

Comma to the Top- By speed influence Bwana Charlie and his trainer said before the Santa Anita Derby there is no way his horse wants the derby distance but then gets 2nd and is now a go. I think they put all their eggs into the basket for the Santa Anita Derby got the great result and now stand little chance of running well and Nakatani easily chose to ride Nehro over Comma. Don't think 1 1/4 miles is in the cards here. Tossing.

Dialed In-By Mineshaft so distance is no problem. Problem is the workout regimen of only one workout going in and will not work over the churchill track even though he won there as a 2yo. I respect his closing speed but I think it is 1 mile closing speed and not 1 1/4. You know he will be far back early and have to pass 18-19 horses. I'll let him beat me.

Decisive Moment-By speed influence With Distinction and he has shown distance limitations but I am considering for exotics as he is looking real good in works. He worked the best of 30 last week, he has been on the churchill grounds since April 2nd and is galloping out strong and eating very well and wanting to do much more.

Shackleford--Amazing pedigree for the derby distance and has put on weight since the Fla derby and his coat is looking solid, he liked the slop last week and he is now in the derby.

Tobys Corner--Great distance pedigree and is working at Fair Hill, has gained weight since wood win, is said to be galloping very well at Fair Hill and is the best he has ever been. Wildcard.

More to follow.

Last edited:

Theismann

Forum Member
Jul 1, 2004
Calvin Borel landed ride for Derby today with Sunland Derby Winner Twice the Appeal he will be the 1st jockey to try to win derby 3 times in a row Sunland Derby was the same race that Mine That Bird ran 4th before winning Derby:popcorn2

sharky17

ICECOLDBEERHERE
Forum Member
Apr 26, 2004
Shores of Lake Huron, Ontario
Sharky, you been before?

2006 - saw Barbaro. Learned the wrath of the Mint Julep about 9:00 PM. :facepalm:
2007 - was getting married in June - no go
2008 - I had a $50 cold Oaks/Derby double with Proud Spell to Big Brown. I still remember the $2 will pay was $39.80, but we got drunk after the Oaks, and I woke up Saturday morning and for about an hour before we left for the track I thought I lost my live ticket. Apparently I had put it in a good spot so I wouldn't lose it. Luckily I stumbled upon it. :rolleyes:
2009 - saw Mine that Bird. Blood bath at the windows, although a couple of us split a $600 Pick 3 earlier in the card
2010 - proudest day of my life, my son was born April 24, so no go. Didn't miss much - hated Super Saver and the guys said the weather was so shitty standing in the paddock, they made some wagers and went back to the house and watched it on TV where it was dry and the beers didn't cost $8.00 + tip.
2011 - record trip at the mutuels coming on. I can just feel it. ;)

You gotta experience it at least once in your life!

Striker - great info! Thanks for sharing. Curious to see your thoughts on Mucho Macho Man.

Shackleford really has my interest right now....

It's anybody's guess the way I see it.....

:toast:

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Jimboski

Forum Member
Dec 15, 2005
Florida
AC action today .. and maybe some Calder

AC action today .. and maybe some Calder

Thanks for the info Jimbo. Actually had $40 last year to win on Drosselmeyer in the Belmont. .

Something else... Drosselmeyer was my pick that year as well and I don't BS. If I remember correctly - he had great pp lines.... very consistant, burned plenty of cash (beaten favorite) and had some excuses for "just missing".
I posted it in the other forum that I used for a long time and still post there sometimes. Only posted him as my pick and ONLY PLAYED HIM (W/Pl/Sh @3x) too. :)

Felt pretty good watching him mo down the leaders in the stretch didn't it, HM?

These posts from the MJers are getting me more and more interested in the Derby. Looks like it's gonna be wide open and plenty of horses.

I may post a few for Atlantic City for today. I DON'T recommend anybody tailing though cause UNLIKE MY PHILLY PICKS, they'll be mostly hunches. There's very little you can go by with sooo many first time TURFers. Unlike Philly again - playing mostly for the chance to take a shot - not for income. There's gotta be some very nice prices with today's card and being familiar with most of the horses, jockeys, and owners should help somewhat.

Might as well mention one that I have to play.. Race 3, no. 5, Spanish Country. My capping (may not work too good with the little I got to go by) sez it's the no. 3 or the no. 6. Yeah, I'll be on a 1-3-6 tri box fosho.

But I had a decent sized play on that Spanish hoss just the other day at Philly .. and tellyas, he was a winnah in that race if it wasn't for the poor start and having to go wide so far to catch up. HE LOOKED EXCELLENT in that race, got the lead despite the long, wide run to get there, and I was pretty disgusted missing the moola with him at something like 11-1 in that race. Understanbly, he faded in mid stretch. I'll be on this one again today.

Jimboski

Forum Member
Dec 15, 2005
Florida
Experiences at the track

Experiences at the track

I almost gave up on this place, but after reading all the posts in this thead sure renewed my interests knowing the kinda playes that read this forum. I know exactly how you guys feel too.. . racing game is great.

Here's 3 that I just LUVED and happened to be lucky enough to witness at the trackI. And I will keep on remembering ...

1. Alydar vs. Affirmed. Absolutely beautiful day at Belmont, just perfect. For whatever reason, Affirmed reminded me of a donkey .. an EXTREMELY fast donkey though. Just no pizazz in his steps.. Alydar was one beautiful, beautiful racehorse. Color, confirmation, running style. I felt that Affirmed would take him but just couldn't bet on him and took Alydar for 20 smackers. Velasquez was tallking to him while they were standing in the shade shortly before the race and the horse was more than ready.. you could tell. But, the donkey, as usual, refused to lose. What a race!

2. Marlboro Cup (think it may have been the first Marlboro Cup).. I think the M.Cup was the first $1 million dollar race anywhere. Probably nobody else's greatest race ever, but to me - I followed almost every one of the champions in that race closely and every one of them was an "All Star" in my book. No winner for me in that one either, I liked Shuvee and didn't give a California invader a shot vs. the NY tigers in that race; well, Shoemaker won it with Cougar II. I read in the paper the next day that Shuvee was more interested in the STUDS in the race and definitely had something other than racing on her mind. Right after the race - some big mouth at the track was running like crazy through the ground floor grandstand yelling, "Cou GAR.. Cou GAR.. I toldyas all .. COU - GARRR, 200 bucks on COU - GARRR! He was a longshot too.
Then the objection went up and they disqualified the bastage. :)

3. Prob. before most of your time, but it was in the Belmont (made the trip to the 3rd race in the Triple Crown just about every year I was in N.J.). Don't think the record still stands, but that day had the biggest crowd in Belmont's (track) history, 63 k plus and it looked it. The S. American wonderhorse, Cannonero II was going for the Triple Crown. Man, MANY of the fans were waving every South American flag you can think of and I couldn't understand any of them. Most exciting day at the track for me. No way I was betting Cannonero, but I was sooo impressed with the way his jockey, Gustavo Aviles (can't forget it) looked on his back. Jet Black colors and looked the part of a champ alright, serious and impressive as all hell. Yep, I beat him and had the winnah (actually dutched 3 horses at big odds). Funny thing is that can NEVER remember the name of the horse I had that won it, but I do remember Blum was onboard.

Favorite horse?... nobody will agree, but a horse that ran like a machine, virtually unbeatable in sprints, his hoofs hit the dirt EXACTLY like a steady drumbeat ALL THE WAY AROUND THE NY TRACKS IN EVERY RACE (cept one, his only route race and he finished last). I never saw him ever accelerate or slow down during a race.. he just won all the ones I saw and PLENTY more.
He was small, muscular, determined to win, and ALL BUSINESS. Learned well after he retired that he ran with acute arthitus for most of his career.
Tellya, he was something else and the biggest bet I ever made was on him .. and sure enough he ran just like he always did in that race. ... just like a machine all the way. Even if he lost that race, he'd still be my favorite. His name was Duck Dance.

Striker13

Forum Member
Mar 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
Mucho Macho Man-By 2yo champ and his mom was a sprint influence but he does have some stamina in the pedigree and already showed that he can get a 1 1/8 trip even with losing a shoe in the La Derby. They are going to use glue on shoes with him they have said-don't have much knowledge on that. Works at Gulfstream were sensational after the La derby. What I'm hearing from Churchill was that he had lost weight and didn't look great after being vanned up from Florida but that now he has turned the corner and is handling the track well, he is a grinder who might be there at the end.

Nehro-By Mineshaft and is bred to get the 1 1/4 trip he just lacks seasoning. Was finishing well in the Ark Derby. Had an easy 5 furlong workout the other day at Churchill. Hasn't run a bad race yet.

Midnight Interlude-Physically great looking horse worked the other day w/Mythical Power at Churchill who is a graded stakes winner and couldn't get by and didn't gallop out with him. Huge stat here as Midnight didn't start as a 2yo--No horse since Apollo in 1882 has won the Kentucky Derby without having started as a 2 year old. He went from a MSW win into a Grade 1 win and now goes into the most prestigious race for his age. How good is he mentally?

Animal Kingdom-He is by a champion turfer, he is bred for the distance but his pedigree screams turf and that usually transfers better to polytrack form as we saw in him winning the Spiral at Turfway. Hasn't gotten over the Churchill strip yet and think that will help us here.

Pants on Fire-Bred to handle the 1 1/4 and just arrived to Churchill the other day

The MAJOR workouts for most of the derby runners will happen this coming weekend.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

hogman14

HBD Sports!
Forum Member
Nov 24, 2002
Franklin, MA
I almost gave up on this place, but after reading all the posts in this thead sure renewed my interests knowing the kinda playes that read this forum. I know exactly how you guys feel too.. . racing game is great.

3. Prob. before most of your time, but it was in the Belmont (made the trip to the 3rd race in the Triple Crown just about every year I was in N.J.). Don't think the record still stands, but that day had the biggest crowd in Belmont's (track) history, 63 k plus and it looked it. The S. American wonderhorse, Cannonero II was going for the Triple Crown. Man, MANY of the fans were waving every South American flag you can think of and I couldn't understand any of them. Most exciting day at the track for me. No way I was betting Cannonero, but I was sooo impressed with the way his jockey, Gustavo Aviles (can't forget it) looked on his back. Jet Black colors and looked the part of a champ alright, serious and impressive as all hell. Yep, I beat him and had the winnah (actually dutched 3 horses at big odds). Funny thing is that can NEVER remember the name of the horse I had that won it, but I do remember Blum was onboard.

Pass Catcher :00hour

Striker13

Forum Member
Mar 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
Spectacular workout to report today with Archarcharch. Arch breezed 5 furlongs in 59.37. He went the 1st furlong in 11.6, 2nd split in 23, 3rd split in 35, then 47.6 and finished at 59.37 and then galloped out in 1:12.8. Huge work!! That is each furlong in under 12 seconds.

Decisive Moment also worked today and breezed 5 furlongs in 1:01.4 and galloped out in 1:15.19 for 6 furlongs.

Archarcharch is going to be moved to a lot of peoples top choice now.

stagger lee

Forum Member
Jun 29, 2003
Toronto
From the Associated Press for anyone that's interested. I think this was from earlier this week so odds have probably changed

And Borel info is incorrect since he will be on Twice the appeal

==============

A combination of major upsets and minor injuries have turned what appeared to be a strong Kentucky Derby field into a wide-open affair.

One-time top contender Uncle Mo finished third in the Wood Memorial as the 1-10 favourite, and is recovering from a gastrointestinal infection. His
Derby status remains questionable.

The Factor wasn't one in the Arkansas Derby, finishing seventh as the 4-5 top choice.

Other Derby hopefuls, including To Honor and Serve, Premier Pegasus and Jaycito, have been sidelined with assorted ailments.

So, with less than two weeks before the Derby, the role of No. 1 on the AP's final Top 10 list of Derby contenders falls to Dialed In.

The lightly raced, three-year-old colt trained by two-time Derby winner Nick Zito ran himself into the top spot by winning the Florida Derby by a head
over Shackleford on April 3.

Since then, Uncle Mo's unbeaten record ended in the Wood; favourite Premier Pegasus, followed by new favourite Jaycito were scratched from the Santa
Anita Derby; The Factor ran seventh in Arkansas; and 2-1 choice favourite Santiva finished ninth in the Blue Grass Stakes.

Neither the Lexington Stakes nor the Jerome Stakes produced a Derby contender over the weekend, leaving the rest of this week's Top 10
unchanged.

Risen Star winner Mucho Macho Man is No. 2, with Wood winner Toby's Corner at No. 3, followed by Uncle Mo and Arkansas Derby winner Archarcharch.

A little history, though, says a horse doesn't have to win a final prep race to win the Kentucky Derby. Since Strike the Gold won the Blue Grass followed
by the Derby in 1991, only six others have completed the final prep-Derby double.

Zito will be glad to know that two of those horses won the Florida Derby before taking the Kentucky Derby - Barbaro in 2006 and Big Brown in 2008.

The other Derby winners who won their final prep are Charismatic (1999 Lexington), Fusaichi Pegasus (2000 Wood), War Emblem (2002 Illinois Derby)
and Smarty Jones (2004 Arkansas Derby).

The field for Derby No. 137 could be even more open than last year, when Super Saver won as the second-betting choice at 8-1. Lookin At Lucky was the 6-1 favourite, which equalled Harlan's Holiday in 2002 for the longest
priced Derby favourite.

The loss of Jaycito leaves three-time Derby winning-trainer Bob Baffert with two probable starters in No. 8 Midnight Interlude and No. 10 The Factor.

Trainer Todd Pletcher could have two starters on May 7 in Uncle Mo and Stay Thirsty as he goes for his second straight Derby win.

While John Velazquez is set to ride Uncle Mo, Pletcher may team up again with Calvin Borel to ride Stay Thirsty. Borel was aboard the colt for a
workout Sunday. Pletcher did not rule out reuniting with the rider who has won the Derby three of the past four years, including last year with Super
Saver.

The Derby is limited to 20 starters. If more are entered, the field will be determined by graded stakes earnings. Currently, Santiva is 20th at US$242,397, Watch Me Go is 21st at $235,500 and Shackleford is 22nd at $212,000.

1. Dialed In (Nick Zito, trainer; Julien Leparoux, jockey): Florida Derby winner has won three of four starts for owner Robert LaPenta. ... Two of past five Kentucky Derby winners won Florida Derby first. ... Next start: Kentucky Derby (May 7, Churchill Downs, dirt). ... Odds: 5-1.

2. Mucho Macho Man (Kathy Ritvo, Rajiv Maragh): Brings a record of two wins in eight starts to Derby. ... Last two races: Won Risen Star, third in Louisiana Derby. ... Worked seven furlongs in 1:29.20 Sunday in the rain at Churchill Downs. ... Next start: Kentucky Derby. ... Odds: 27-1.

3. Toby's Corner (Graham Motion, Eddie Castro): Last Wood winner to take Derby was Fusaichi Pegasus in 2000. ... Son of Bellamy Road has four wins and two thirds in six career races. ... Next start: Kentucky Derby. ... Odds: 8-1 (mutuel field).

4. Uncle Mo (Todd Pletcher, John Velazquez): Seems to be recovering well from gastrointestinal infection. ... Galloped 1 1/2 miles Sunday at
Churchill Downs; Derby future could depend on Tuesday workout. ... two-year-old champ brings a record of 4-0-1 in five races into Derby. ...
Next start: Kentucky Derby. ... Odds: 3-1.

5. Archarcharch (Jinks Fires, Jon Court): Arkansas Derby winner has Fires and Court psyched for their first Kentucky Derby. ... Owns 3-1-1 record from six starts. ... Next start: Kentucky Derby. ... Odds: 8-1 (mutuel field).

6. Nehro (Steve Asmussen, Corey Nakatani): Likely to be the hot horse Derby week after just missing in Arkansas and Louisiana derbies. ... Next start: Kentucky Derby. ... Odds: 30-1.

7. Pants On Fire (Kelly Breen, Rosie Napravnik): Louisiana Derby winner worked five furlongs in 59.00 Saturday at Palm Meadows. ... Has won two of eight races. ... Next start: Kentucky Derby. ... Odds: 44-1.

8. Midnight Interlude (Bob Baffert, Victor Espinoza): Santa Anita Derby winner has a 2-1-1 record from four starts. ... Baffert looking for Derby win No. 4. ... Next start: Kentucky Derby. ... Odds: 8-1 (mutuel field).

9. Soldat (Kiaran McLaughlin, Alan Garcia): Worked 5 furlongs in 59.00 last week at Palm Meadows. ... Fifth in Florida Derby in last start, but has 3-4-0 record in eight races. ... Next start: Kentucky Derby. ... Odds: 17-1.

10. The Factor (Baffert, Martin Garcia): Baffert could have a second Derby starter if horse works well following poor effort in Arkansas Derby. ... Next start: Kentucky Derby. ... Odds: 10-1.

Keep an eye on: Animal Kingdom, Comma to the Top, J.P's Gusto, Shackleford, Stay Thirsty.

Jimboski

Forum Member
Dec 15, 2005
Florida
Just stuff

Just stuff

Great idea HM, starting this thread that is. :00x15

I'll start working on the Derby so I can add something more worthwhile here.

Instead of starting a new thead; I'll make a comment here since this thread attracted some interest. At least enough for folks to dust off them keyboards anyways.. LOL.

It's about AC and Philly.

Got two races capped for today and just nailed the 2nd race exacta AND IT TOOK THE MAGIC NOT the capping as much. Had four horses I liked and wound up even adding a fifth one to the mix who ran out BTW. No 2 has very good early speed and a good starting post/spot (ya gotta consider the hosses that are close to him too, like the no. 1 and the nos. 3 and 4). I knew that the no. 6 is a good one from Philly and he also looked very good in the prerace. Nos. 2 and 6 were in my picks and of course one of the zactas was the "magic" 2-6 box jobbie. Just like the Royal Wedding - thems nos. make a very nice marriage in zactas.

Now, this is what this post is all about -> NINE freakin starters, winnah was 5-1, 2nd hoss was NINE to ONE, pretty big favorite (OTM, well, out of the zacta that is) - and what does the zacta pay?.... $82.20 :eek:

You know what an exacta like that pays at Philly? Or even at Suffolk?

Can't wait for them to get back to their good ole, broken down homebase - PHIL. PARK.

While I'm here ... the other race I got capped for AC is the 4th. I'll be looking to get...
exactas.... .. . 1,2 back and forth with 5,6

Also, we're/I'm at (online) AC today so 2 stinkin dollar MAXIMUM bet on zotics and not that much more on W/Places at this joint.

G.L. whatever yas doin today.

Jimboski

Forum Member
Dec 15, 2005
Florida
In this 5th race... the no. 2 was 50-1 and is STILL at a hefty 25-1 odds. May be a WATCH OUT... race?

Oh, the 4th? Nuthin.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Jimboski

Forum Member
Dec 15, 2005
Florida
Right now, the tote sez, PHOTO. But, I know the results :(

I'll take the Pl/Sh cash (at 25-1). Sheesh, she lost the win photo and didn't didn't need much more real estate to GIT DAT CASH ... she was gaining with every stride; just full of run today.... damn, damn, damn. What gets me is that I had the no. 1 capped for 3rd and didn't get the zacta.

Ah, I'll still take the nice place/show (AT 3x) greenbacks.

6th and LAST race for today?
Nah, think I'll just count my blessings for beating this dreadful track today and walk out a winnah.

Reactions: jdubshady