Diaz/Marquez 2-28

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

Romi

Forum Member
Apr 6, 2007
Does anybody like Diaz besides me in this one? I see it as a pic em but lean towards the younger faster Diaz. Marquez is pushing 36 and has been around a long time. An arguably shot Casa fought him on even terms through 10 b4 getting stopped. Nate Campbell had to fight very agressively at his best to get to Diaz and Diaz was still able to edge one of the judges cards (Nate won IMO). Marquez does not fight with the bad intentions that nate does. Diaz will take take some lumps and bruises by Marq counters but I feel he'll just be too busy and fast for the aging Marquez, Diaz by close dec. I couldnt resist +145...I put 1k to win 1450.

gardenweasel

el guapo
Forum Member
Jan 10, 2002
"the bunker"
Does anybody like Diaz besides me in this one? I see it as a pic em but lean towards the younger faster Diaz. Marquez is pushing 36 and has been around a long time. An arguably shot Casa fought him on even terms through 10 b4 getting stopped. Nate Campbell had to fight very agressively at his best to get to Diaz and Diaz was still able to edge one of the judges cards (Nate won IMO). Marquez does not fight with the bad intentions that nate does. Diaz will take take some lumps and bruises by Marq counters but I feel he'll just be too busy and fast for the aging Marquez, Diaz by close dec. I couldnt resist +145...I put 1k to win 1450.

i started out thinking that diaz was highly overrated...then i mellowed a bit...then nate campbell(the same n.c. with 2 embarrassing losses to robbie peden) basically beat him down...

marquez(my favorite fighter)moves up and beats down an admittedly past his prime casamayor...a casa that bigger guys could never seem to stop...

then,dlh fights like a metrosexual vs pacquaio...another guy that`s never been stopped(aside from the b.hop fight..the size difference was ridiculous)...

these smaller guys beating up bigger guys is beginning to take a toll on my mental well being...

my first thought was "take the odds with diaz"....but,i`m getting gun-shy...shouldn`t a bigger, stamina and chin strong diaz force a 36 year old marquez to fold at some point?....or will he play right into marquez brilliant counter-punchiing style?...

this stuff`s getting harder instead of easier...wish i had something opinion-wise to offer...

btw...i watched a piece of chis john/marquez on youtube(i was always curious about the result) and i still have no idea about whether the result was fair or not...strange fight...

Last edited:

nj

Forum Member
Nov 11, 2007
Marquez has shown to have high output, solid punching power, and the ability to slow down fast oponents with high output, namely Pac. IMO he won both fights, and didnt take too much damage in doing so.

Casa looked really good in his fight vs Marquez, not prime but not shot. We already knew Marquez can counter-punch and has decent pop, for this fight, the question is his stamina and punch output.

If Marquez can match Diaz's output, it's a mismatch imo, the skill gap is huge, most notably in accuracy and timing. As gardenweasel once pointed out, Diaz's power is overrated, it's a cumulative power, and against opponent who fought right into his strategy.

This is a tough fight for Marquez due to Diaz's youth and stamina, but Marquez hasn't taken too much punishment for his years. He might get old overnight, but I wouldn't bet on it.

I'm going to paly Marquez small, and Marquez by KO or rounds 7-12.

Last edited:
MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Ghost Kid

Registered
Forum Member
Jun 23, 2008
I have to think more about this one, but I am leaning toward the Baby Bull and the Over
I think this fight goes to the cards

also interesting to see these odds
Chris John -300
Rocky Juarez +220

Wonder if Rocky has a chance here? I thought JMM clearly beat John. I am going to watch John's last few fights.

Rocky has that punch, but when he doesn't show up...he really stinks....

gardenweasel

el guapo
Forum Member
Jan 10, 2002
"the bunker"
I have to think more about this one, but I am leaning toward the Baby Bull and the Over
I think this fight goes to the cards

also interesting to see these odds
Chris John -300
Rocky Juarez +220

Wonder if Rocky has a chance here? I thought JMM clearly beat John. I am going to watch John's last few fights.

Rocky has that punch, but when he doesn't show up...he really stinks....

he`s running out of opportunities...i have to think he he realizes the urgency of his situation....he has homecourt...but slick boxers aren`t exactly his cup of tea...

MayorgaFan

Forum Member
Dec 12, 2003
btw...i watched a piece of chis john/marquez on youtube(i was always curious about the result) and i still have no idea about whether the result was fair or not...strange fight...

I dislike Marquez immensely for my own reasons. However being a good gambler requires that not to matter. JMM-John really wasn't a close fight. JMM won very clearly. It was a boring fight but he 100% won. He will beat Diaz as well. JMM will counter the shit out of Diaz and has a good shot of making him gun shy IMO. Diaz can be hurt/dropped by good counter shots. Elezear Contreras who isn't a big puncher for example dropped him on his ass with a real nice uppercut.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

THE_THONG

Forum Member
May 2, 2008
Victoria's Secret
he`s running out of opportunities...i have to think he he realizes the urgency of his situation....he has homecourt...but slick boxers aren`t exactly his cup of tea...

f rocky

betting on him is like betting on glue drying in the shower

heard it so many times about "urgency", last time

the dude does the same thing every time

HE DON'T THROW ENOUGH PUNCHES!!!

frank s.

Forum Member
Dec 11, 2004
Rocky should open up a used car lot along with Kermit Cintron. They both repulse me. Baby Bull doesn't seem to have the necessary punch to get it done here. JMM is a consumate, hi-line pro. Smart as they come. Still has enough left in the tank to prevail in this tilt me thinks. I think JMM outboxes the BB. Marquez has always come to fight so lets not draw any similiarities to him and Oscar the sanitary napkin.

Zerwas

Forum Member
Jul 19, 2007
Tough fight to call Marquez vs. Diaz...
I agree with the linemakers, so as of now its no bet for me.
Diaz is the younger guy by almost 12 years and he's fighting at home so I'm sure Marquez will have his hands full...

Johns style will probably be all wrong for Juarez, but again the homefield advantage could be a factor...I expect both fights to go the distance though.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

tonymontana

Forum Member
Sep 27, 2005
I am on diaz. Marquez needs a little room to work his game. Diaz really has to stay close and be relentless. He will get tacked coming in so he has to stay close when he is inside.
In my opinion Diaz was not 100 percent focused fighting Campell plus Campell fought a good fight and the cut affected Diaz he is still very young and hungry.
Diaz straight and under at plus 285 i can see stoppage both ways not most likely but at this price i take a shot.
What i like about Diaz he is still improving and getting stronger.

frank s.

Forum Member
Dec 11, 2004
I do agree with tony m. that Diaz is improving and should be getting more powerful. But, as always, Marquez will put on a boxing clinic, and he, Marquez is a tough hombre, evidenced by getting dropped 3 times in 1 rd. by Pac-man and sustaining a broken nose and still finishing the fight.

gardenweasel

el guapo
Forum Member
Jan 10, 2002
"the bunker"
I dislike Marquez immensely for my own reasons. However being a good gambler requires that not to matter. JMM-John really wasn't a close fight. JMM won very clearly. It was a boring fight but he 100% won. He will beat Diaz as well. JMM will counter the shit out of Diaz and has a good shot of making him gun shy IMO. Diaz can be hurt/dropped by good counter shots. Elezear Contreras who isn't a big puncher for example dropped him on his ass with a real nice uppercut.

i only saw 1 round of marquez/john,so,i really didn`t see enough to get a feel for what was going on...seemed like marquez was forced to stalk john(in that round anyway),with john countering,but mostly on defense....

but i agree that diaz` style plays into marquez` strength as counter puncher....

the thing that scares me is that this style is so different from what marquez saw vs casamayor... marquez will take punishment here...it won`t be a chess match in which he can fight at a deliberate pace and pick diaz apart...

i disagree with nj a little when he said that marquez is a high work rate type of fighter...i always thought he liked to ease his way into a fight and preferred to counter guys and keep a nice deliberate but steady pace...i always thought that the reason he struggled with manny was the lefty stance...i`ve come to believe that theres something about manny`s lefty style that makes him so difficult to fight......different than other lefty`s for some reason...maybe it`s his quicks...:shrug: ..some lefty`s have given marquez trouble...

i can see what you`re saying about marquez countering the piss out of diaz...making him pay...

my worry is that at 36,he`s gonna be under alot of pressure...at least until he gets diaz` attention...

on juarez,he`s just so lethargic and economical with his punches...he could easily get out boxed here...his hope is that he lands a big shot and gets john out of there...john is a solid technician,from the little i`ve seen of him..

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

nj

Forum Member
Nov 11, 2007
what i meant was marquez has shown the ability to do so when he required, he's not naturally a volume puncher. pac is a quick explosive puncher himself, to keep pac off marquez had to use extensive combinations and counter him punch for punch, to keep manny defensive.

marquez has shown the ability to make trigger happy fighters slow down.

MayorgaFan, do you mind elaborating about your dislike for marquez? if its personal as in you and him then nevermind, but if your heard about his personality or something he did as a fighter bothers you, can you explain? ive always thought of marquez as a respectable guy and have rooted for him for years.

gardenweasel

el guapo
Forum Member
Jan 10, 2002
"the bunker"
what i meant was marquez has shown the ability to do so when he required, he's not naturally a volume puncher. pac is a quick explosive puncher himself, to keep pac off marquez had to use extensive combinations and counter him punch for punch, to keep manny defensive.

marquez has shown the ability to make trigger happy fighters slow down.

MayorgaFan, do you mind elaborating about your dislike for marquez? if its personal as in you and him then nevermind, but if your heard about his personality or something he did as a fighter bothers you, can you explain? ive always thought of marquez as a respectable guy and have rooted for him for years.

""marquez has shown the ability to make trigger happy fighters slow down.""

amen to that..well said...

i hear you,bro...he obviously fought at a pretty strong pace vs manny and many think he won both go rounds...

hard to believe that everybody doesn`t appreciate marquez...he`s not an overbearing shitheel....and he`s a beautiful fighter to watch...:shrug:

THE_THONG

Forum Member
May 2, 2008
Victoria's Secret
marquez is one of my favorites too

i was able to go to mexico city and see him train before the second pacquiao fight

i just thought from watching that pacquiao would edge him

this fight

he's going into enemy territory, i want him to win, but i think diaz will rally down the stretch on youthful legs to take him

the thing with the casamayor and juarez fights, those dudes gave him time to think

juan wont let him breathe, he'll maximize scoring looks in the judges eyes

frank s.

Forum Member
Dec 11, 2004
Marquez has never really caught the publics attention as he is low key and reserved as one would expect from an accountant by profession. I've seen him in person at least 1/2 dz. times. I saw him get mugged at Mandalay Bay versus Freddie Norwood almost 10 years ago. He just isn't flashy so it almost appears he isn't doing enough. Of course we know he does it all. He may have one good effort left in him and I lean toward the young lion getting schooled by the professor. I just hope the other guy at the other site(weasel knows who I'm talking about), comes up with a solid UFC play for a juicy parlay. If he does, I'll mention it forthwith.

gardenweasel

el guapo
Forum Member
Jan 10, 2002
"the bunker"
Marquez has never really caught the publics attention as he is low key and reserved as one would expect from an accountant by profession. I've seen him in person at least 1/2 dz. times. I saw him get mugged at Mandalay Bay versus Freddie Norwood almost 10 years ago. He just isn't flashy so it almost appears he isn't doing enough. Of course we know he does it all. He may have one good effort left in him and I lean toward the young lion getting schooled by the professor. I just hope the other guy at the other site(weasel knows who I'm talking about), comes up with a solid UFC play for a juicy parlay. If he does, I'll mention it forthwith.

you can`t afford -150?...you`re getting worse than me...coupla cheap old dogs...

i don`t know what else i can do to point you toward dirty sanchez....my guess is that "the cranium" :SIB will be on sanchez,too...time will tell...

lol

Last edited:
MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

nj

Forum Member
Nov 11, 2007
i too hope the braintrust likes sanchez, im eager to follow's gardenweasel's advice.

good luck boys :)