Do coaches try to cover?

Deezeldogg

O-H-I-O
Forum Member
Jul 15, 2006
Cambridge, Ohio
Do you think that a lot of these coaches are puttin money on their own games? I would believe so....

I coached at the D3 college level for years for a number of teams, and believe me, if I could have, I would have bet on our games every week.

STEEL CITY SELECTIONS

Forum Member
Jun 2, 2001
pittsburgh,pa.
LOUISVILLE coach petrino pulled of the most obvious cover jobs ive ever seen vs. pitt last year.....it was a thurs or fri nite game at louisville....i think lou. was favored by 24 or so.....well pitt. was well within the number alll game, i think maybe even led at half.....
anyway....lou. took over in 2nd half as pitt turned ball over alot....with under 2mins to go lou. had the ball in pitt teritory i think around 20 yard line and lou. up by about 18....lou. had been running ball down field and killing clock, pitt had 1 timeout left and apparently had decided not to use it because they didnt calll any timeout on. 1st or 2nd down plays....pitt. basically had conceded defeat....clock running about min. 30 to go and lou. faced with 3rd down at pitt. 20.....all they needed to do was run/run game over....well lou. coach calls timeout and gathers troops.....announcers all question why lou. called timeout...they all originally thought pitt. did.....well of course u know the rest.....lou.runs a sweep down to pitt. 5 yrd. line and then punchs it in end zone for the cover......i remeber it well because had pitt. and lost a bunch.....lou. coach is a crooked fuker for that pulling move...in all games ive watched ive never ever seen a team up 18 with ball and runningclock call a timeout before?? only 1 reason he stopped clock with huge lead even announcers were laughing, saying maybe he wanted to give his guys a rest they were tired from runnin ball down pitt. throat........but good to remember if u thinkin of playin lou. at home as big fav...my man petrino will try anything for cover...

Last edited:

stwoody

Forum Member
Jan 15, 2005
No.Cal
Yeah, Petrino cost me a bunch one year (I think it was his first year at Louisville)........playing Kentucky and had a good lead inside the 5 with running 30-40 sec. Kentucky had conceded and all he had to do was take a knee......nope........managed 2 plays in that time and punched it in. He is a good one to watch!

SingleMalt

Forum Member
Jan 5, 2001
Cleveland, Ohio
The funny thing on the Louisville game was that Herbstreit was doing the game and he always knows the line. The camera crew cuts to 2 guys in the stands with no shirts on, going crazy when they got 1st and goal. Kirk deadpans something like, "Gee, I wonder why these guy are cheering so much." Next play, TD. Next crowd shot, the two guys jumping up and down, hugging each other. Kirk says something like, "Boy these guys are really happy about that last score"...I was rolling on the floor...and jumping up and down as I had the Cards also...

The Sponge

Forum Member
Aug 24, 2006
I would think the West Va vs Syracuse game this past Saturday could be one. Syracuse down 41-14 with a couple minutes to go on West Va 17 and kick a FG instead of trying to put it in the end zone like any other team would do. Since the spread was like 26-27 why not cover the spread with a FG huh?

Sheese i wrote a post about syracuse corrupt coached and most guys thought i was nuts. Most guys are just gullibe. this happens all the time and its even worse in the NFL. The Cincy Tampa game is all you need to know who they wanted to win and it wasn't the public. Just go see the wonderful roughing the passer call near the end of the game to keep the drive alive. It was a complete joke. You take the gambling out of sports and you will see much better reffed games.

rouxdog

Forum Member
Jan 7, 2005
KC
The funny thing on the Louisville game was that Herbstreit was doing the game and he always knows the line. The camera crew cuts to 2 guys in the stands with no shirts on, going crazy when they got 1st and goal. Kirk deadpans something like, "Gee, I wonder why these guy are cheering so much." Next play, TD. Next crowd shot, the two guys jumping up and down, hugging each other. Kirk says something like, "Boy these guys are really happy about that last score"...I was rolling on the floor...and jumping up and down as I had the Cards also...

I was going to mention the same story. hilarious. fortunately, i had louisville

TON

Bank on it
Forum Member
Jun 12, 2005
Chicago
Bob Stoops and OU just did

They are going nowhere this year ( loss of AP ). After 1st and Goal from the 5 with 1:15 or so on the clock, kneel and end it. Instead he scores.:mj07: :mj07: :mj07: :mj07: :mj07: :mj07:

GENO

Forum Member
Jan 5, 2002
Plain City OH
What an a$$Hole act that was, no time outs and he bores it down there Fawking throats and IF you had the right line as an sooner fan you already had the win at -13

His day is coming !

TON

Bank on it
Forum Member
Jun 12, 2005
Chicago
Think the SMU Coach has them -5 ???

Why go for 2 ?

But im not complaining :mj07:

hsams

Forum Member
Oct 30, 2006
no reason for two-dont give me sh8t about up two fg's--bs bet all the way

buddy

Forum Member
Nov 21, 2000
Pittsburgh, Pa.
Many moons ago...when Spurrier was still the HC at Florida....

This was a beaut.

Fla -22 @ Kentucky

7 seconds left in the game -

Gators up by 16 with the ball on their own 47.

Fla qb under center to accept snap for last play of the game.

Spurrier calls time out in the middle of the count!

Qb runs to the sideline.

Has one on one huddle with Dracula (Spurrier).

Qb runs back on the field with a smirk on his face.

"Hut, hut"

53 yard bomb to the right corner of the end zone.

XP Good.

Aaahhhh, Spurrier.

Bet on MyBookie