England v Brazil, Fri 21st June 2.30am ET.

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

Monarch

Forum Member
Feb 24, 2002
London
This looks like the game of the tournament. 1st prices:

England +200
Draw +220
Brazil +110

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Monarch

Forum Member
Feb 24, 2002
London
I like the early optimism. It's hard to get that whole Brazil aura out of my head though. Does anyone see a similarity with this Brazil side and the 00/01 Rams. Awesome offense-zero defense. Kind of a strange comparison. I like it ;).

Monarch

Forum Member
Feb 24, 2002
London
HEAD-TO-HEAD STATISTICS

WC = World Cup
US = US Cup
UC = Umbro Cup
BJT = Brazilian Jubilee Tournament
T = Tournoi de France
F = Friendly International
Gp = Group
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FIXTURE HISTORY

DATE COMP MATCH RESULT
09 May 1956 F England 4-2 Brazil
11 Jun 1958 WC GpD Brazil 0-0 England
13 May 1959 F Brazil 2-0 England
10 Jun 1962 WC QF Brazil 3-1 England
08 May 1963 F England 1-1 Brazil
30 May 1964 BJT Brazil 5-1 England
12 Jun 1969 F Brazil 2-1 England
07 Jun 1970 WC GpC Brazil 1-0 England
23 May 1976 F Brazil 1-0 England
08 Jun 1977 F Brazil 0-0 England
19 Apr 1978 F England 1-1 Brazil
12 May 1981 F England 0-1 Brazil
10 Jun 1984 F Brazil 0-2 England
19 May 1987 F England 1-1 Brazil
28 Mar 1990 F England 1-0 Brazil
17 May 1992 F England 1-1 Brazil
13 Jun 1993 US Brazil 1-1 England
11 Jun 1995 UC England 1-3 Brazil
10 Jun 1997 T Gp Brazil 1-0 England
27 May 2000 F England 1-1 Brazil

TIME TO MAKE $$$

Registered
Forum Member
Jul 24, 2001
TORONTO, CANADA
England v Brazil could be hairy encounter for Beckham

Who will win the Quarter final England v Brazil?
England
Brazil

LONDON, June 17 (AFP) - England captain David Beckham could be sporting a new hairstyle when his team face Brazil in their World Cup quarter-final clash after deciding to fly his hairdresser to Japan, a report said Monday.

Beckham, who currently sports a shaggy blond mohican, has asked his stylist Aidan Phelan to join him in Japan on the eve of Friday's match with the South Americans, the Evening Standard said.

As well as anticipating a mouth-watering clash between the tournament's new favourites, fans will be eager to catch a good look of Beckham's new hairdo.

Prior to the mohican, Beckham, whose wife Victoria is pop star 'Posh' Spice, sported a shaved head, and before that long blond locks.

Hundreds of Japanese fans could be left disappointed if he does decide to give the mohican a red card. Hundreds are believed to have rushed to their barber to copy their idol's look since the World Cup began more than two weeks ago.

Asked about plans to re-style Beckham's hair, Phelan told the Standard: "We'll sit down and discuss it. David has obviously been putting his football first but his hair is growing out a bit now and it needs tidying up."

Phelan said he enjoyed working with the Manchester United star.

"He can carry absolutely everything off and he is adventurous. I'm definitely at my most creative when I'm working with him," he said.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

TIME TO MAKE $$$

Registered
Forum Member
Jul 24, 2001
TORONTO, CANADA
England must score first to down Brazil: statistician

LONDON, June 17 (AFP) - England need to score first if they are to have a realistic chance of beating Brazil in their World Cup quarter-final tie later this week, an expert in mathematics claimed on Monday.

England have more than a 60 percent chance of defeating the South Americans on Friday if they hit the back of the net first, said John Haigh, Reader in Mathematics and Statistics at the University of Sussex, southern England.

However, should Brazil score first, England have only a one in seven chance of coming from behind to win, added Haigh.

The mathematician has applied Pascal's Triangle and Poisson's Distribution theory to the tournament's statistics thus far.

He said that of the 52 matches involving goals, the team scoring first has gone on to win 32 times, while on only six occasions has the trailing side come back to win. A total 14 of the games where a country has taken the lead have ended in draws.

Brazil came from behind against Turkey in their opening World Cup match to win 2-1. They won their other three encounters after taking the lead. England have taken the lead in three of their four games, winning two and drawing one.

"In most professional football we expect a team to win about two-thirds of the games in which it scores first and draw about one-fifth of them," said Haigh.

"And if the number of goals in the game is low then the first goal becomes very important."

England have scored only five goals in their four matches, eight less than Brazil's 13.

Haigh however acknowledged that luck is just as important in deciding games.

"Sheer random chance plays a huge part in football, there is a huge amount of luck in the game, he said."

TIME TO MAKE $$$

Registered
Forum Member
Jul 24, 2001
TORONTO, CANADA
1. Emerson's loss will be felt when we play better and better midfields - like NEXT GAME. Many forget that France beat Brazil in 98 not because they played stellar defense in the back, but because their midfield almost never let Brazil touch the ball.

2. I love Juninho Paulista, but I think he's like Denilson - a great player to bring off the bench as a spark, but a somewhat disruptive force to an offense. He gives 100%, but he often pushes it too far on his own, IMO.

3. People seem to be forgetting that while Brasil has not played a legendary team yet, they have faced a couple of tough defenses. Turkey is very tough in the back, and Belgium was tough, too. England may be better, but not tremendously. The real difference between England and these teams is their strikers.

4. In a big game like this, talent usually wins. The mental lapses usually come against weaker teams (Costa Rica, for example), but Brasil will be motivated to play 100% all game.

5. Brasil has a tremendous amount of experience in the front. Ronaldo, Rivaldo, Juninho Paulista (and Roberto Carlos, since he thinks he's a striker) will provide a lot of leadership in a big game.

The one thing I know for sure is that if Brasil does win, there will be plenty of people with excuses why, making sure they don't get credit for it.

ghostom

Forum Member
Jan 10, 2002
BEWARE BRITISH SECRET WEAPON!!! Thought that you might get a kick out of this. Thank you for the WORLD CUP opinions and info. I've enjoyed betting soccer and completely screwing up my schedule overthe past week or so. Is it day or night? Good Luck!

PSYCHIC URI GELLER USES MIND POWER TO WIN SOCCER GAME

http://www.uri-geller.com/thwc.htm

Psychic Uri Geller hovered over a stadium in a helicopter during a big soccer game - and says he helped his favourite team win by using mind power to make a player miss a kick.

The incredible feat was witnessed by millions of TV viewers around the globe who watched in astonishment as the ball actually MOVED when the player went to kick it!

He missed the chance to score a goal on a penalty shot - and his team lost the match. It happened during an important game between England and Scotland. Israeli-born Geller now lives in England and has adopted the country's team.

In the week before the game, Geller's incredible psychic powers were featured on TV when he accurately predicted the final 2-0 score and the name of England's first goal scorer.

And after the match, Geller was a special guest on a top TV soccer show when the mystical moment the ball moved was rerun over and over. Both players involved in the missed kick drama - England goalie David Seaman and Scotland skipper Gary McAllister said they were baffled by what happened.

McAllister, one of the world's top players, admitted it was one of his worst penalty kicks ever. He kicked the ball poorly as it moved, so his shot had no power, and the goalie easily scooped it up. "That's never happened before, the ball moving like that," said McAllister. Seaman added: "I noticed the ball started rolling, and I thought he might stop and start over. But Gary just went ahead and kicked it, and something told me to dive the right way and save it. The ball moving definitely caused him to miss."

During the big game Geller hovered 1,200 feet above the stadium clutching 11 energized crystals - one for each England team member - plus a giant crystal he uses "to receive and transmit positive thoughts."

Geller disclosed: "When that penalty kick was taken I willed Dave to dive to the right, and he did. And I willed the ball to move with pure telepathy.

"I tapped into the massive wave of positive vibrations from the England supporters and beamed them down to the players. I was like a receiver and a transmitter - I said before the game if all the fans visualized England winning, they would. The players felt my powers very strongly."

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Andy

Forum Member
Nov 15, 2001
CA USA
Wow...Psychic power??

Wow...Psychic power??

Psychic power?? What happened when England need that power the most? What happened in Italy 90 and Euro 96 when they lost both game in shoot out to the Germans?

Back to the game. I think England have great chance against Brazil in this game. So far I've noticed USA & England is playing some sort of same tactic. That is to score first then stack up with the defense and use their speed to counter attack. If Brazil play with their 3-5-2 formation, that could lead to alot of troubles handling Owen and Heskey upfront, I don't think Brazil can shut down Owen and Heskey with their 3 defenders especially with the accuracy passes from Beckham. The draw and under (in 90 minutes) worth a look. Good luck to all.

Andy

Monarch

Forum Member
Feb 24, 2002
London
Brazil are still available to win the tournament at 5/2 and England 7/2. I think the general opinion believes the winner of this game will win the whole thing. Does anyone see this as a worthwhile bet buying both teams given the nature of the tournament thus far. I really like England/Brazil over Spain/Germany. Would appreciate any thoughts.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Galileio

Forum Member
May 29, 2002
Wales, United Kingdom
monarch where did you get that price cos most of the british firms are cutting the draw price and brazil are drifting! I think the heat will be a problem but do you really think the glorified three man team will break thru our defence?? Hills are going +125 brazil,+200 england and +288 the draw from +200

Monarch

Forum Member
Feb 24, 2002
London
Galileio, I browsed them at Oddschecker earlier (Outrights). Seems to be quite a variance in the match price however. 3 R's vs 3 Lions. I can't wait.

----------

Nolan, was intrigued to see you have Brazil as a Best Bet to beat England. I agree they start as favourites, but this game looks to me as if it could turn on sixpence. I am obviously a little impartial, just don't see it as such a strong play. Best of luck nevertheless.

Last edited:

Monarch

Forum Member
Feb 24, 2002
London
Michael Owen and Paul Scholes are on course to be fit for England's World Cup quarter-final clash with Brazil in Shizuoka on Friday.

The duo did not take part in England's training session at their Awaji Island headquarters on Wednesday but both will join in with full training on Thursday.

Owen - nicknamed the "killer" by Sven-Goran Eriksson because of his deadly finishing - suffered a groin injury after two minutes of Saturday's 3-0 win over Denmark in the second phase in Niigata and was eventually substituted at half-time.

Scholes picked up a minor foot problem and he was eventually replaced by Kieron Dyer after five minutes of the second half.

Owen's pace will be a key factor if England are to stand a realistic chance of beating the Brazilians whose Achilles heel may be their defence.

Scholes has formed an effective partnership in the centre of the park with his Manchester United team-mate Nicky Butt.

Another plus point for England was that Bayern Munich midfielder Owen Hargreaves completed his first full training session since picking up a leg injury in the early stages of the victory over Argentina.

Hargreaves was one of England's best players in the warm-up programme ahead of the World Cup but his injury has given an opportunity to Trevor Sinclair.

Monarch

Forum Member
Feb 24, 2002
London
MATCH SHORTS

This quarter-final match is England's 50th World Cup match. The previous 49 have resulted in 22 victories, 15 draws and 12 defeats. The twelve defeats have come against USA (1950), Spain (1950), Uruguay (1954), Soviet Union (1958), Hungary (1962), Brazil (1962, 1970), West Germany (1970), Portugal (1986), Argentina (1986), Italy (1990) and Romania (1998). So, Brazil are the only nation to have beaten England in more than one World Cup match.

England have reached this stage for the seventh time in their last eight World Cups. They have only managed to get into the last four on two previous occasions. In 1966, they beat Argentina to reach the semi-finals, and in 1990, they beat Cameroon.

England have only ever been put out of the second phase by other World Cup winners. Uruguay beat them in 1954, Brazil in 1962, West Germany in 1970 and 1990, and Argentina in 1986 and 1998. The West Germans also topped England's second phase group in 1982.

Brazil have been finalists in each of the last two World Cups having failed to reach the last four in the previous three. They have been beaten by a variety of teams in knockout with France (twice) and Argentina stopping them in three of the last four World Cups.

England and Brazil have met on 20 previous occasions. England have won just three times - the first ever match between the two, at Wembley in 1956, a friendly in Rio de Janeiro in 1984 and a Wembley friendly in 1990. Brazil have won nine times and there have been eight draws.

The two nations have met in three matches at the World Cup. In 1958 they drew 0-0 at the group stage. Their 1962 quarter-final was won 3-1 by Brazil with two goals by Garrincha and one from Vava. Gerry Hitchens (then playing for Inter Milan in Italy) scored for England.

The other World Cup game was a group match in 1970. The two nations were the two favourites for the competition and the match is regarded as one of the great World Cup encounters. Brazil won 1-0 with a goal from Jairzinho which was similar to the famous goal scored by Carlos Alberto in the 1970 final.

They last played each other in a friendly on 27 May 2000 at Wembley. The match ended 1-1 with Michael Owen's 38th minute goal being cancelled out by Franca's equaliser right on half-time.
Of England's current squad, David Seaman, Martin Keown, Sol Campbell, David Beckham, Paul Scholes, Robbie Fowler and Michael Owen all played in that match. Dida, Roberto Carlos, Cafu, Rivaldo and Denilson all played for Brazil in that match and are currently in their World Cup squad.

Brazil's 3-1 win over England in the 1995 Umbro Cup match is the only occasion in the last 13 meetings that more than two goals have been scored. Four of their last seven meetings have ended 1-1.

Danny Mills (England) and Roberto Carlos (Brazil) both have one yellow card in the second phase and will therefore be suspended for the semi-final if they receive another one and their team wins this match. The winners of this match will play Senegal or Turkey in that semi-final.

Wes Brown, Gareth Southgate and Martin Keown are the only outfield players in the England squad who have not yet played in this World Cup.

Belletti is the only outfield player to yet see action for Brazil at this tournament.

Ronaldo and Rivaldo have both scored in each of the first four matches. This is the first time ever that two players from the same team have scored in the first four World Cup matches and the first time since 1970 that more than one player at the World Cup has managed it.

Ronaldo now has nine World Cup goals in 11 matches. Pele (with 12) is the only Brazilian player ahead of him in World Cup scoring. Vava also scored nine (in 10 matches) and Jairzinho netted 9 in 16 games.

Central defender Rio Ferdinand has now played 26 internationals for England and has only ended on the losing team on two occasions. He came on as a substitute against France in a 2-0 friendly defeat in 1999, and played the whole of the 1-0 defeat in Italy in November 2000.

Ferdinand has an even better record when he has been partnered by Sol Campbell in the centre of defence. When they have both started the match, England have won nine games and drawn on five occasions. They have conceded just nine goals in those 14 matches and only Cameroon have scored more than once against them.

England have played two South American opponents this year, beating both. They won 4-0 against Paraguay in April and 1-0 against Argentina earlier in this World Cup.

Brazil have won nine and drawn one of their 10 matches in 2002.
Brazil have played five European opponents this year, winning four times and drawing once. They beat Iceland 6-1, Yugoslavia 1-0, Turkey 2-1 and Belgium 2-0. Their sole failure to win came in a 1-1 draw with Portugal in a friendly in April.

Ronaldo has scored in Brazil's last five international matches - adding the friendly against Malaysia just before the World Cup to the four matches that he has scored in here.

England have kept a clean sheet in their last three matches at the World Cup and have the joint best defence (with Germany) of the teams in the last eight having conceded just one goal in their four matches.

Brazil are the top scorers at this World Cup with 13 goals. Ronaldo shares the lead in the top scorer's competition with Germany's Miroslav Klose. Both have five goals.

Only four yellow cards have been shown to England players at this World Cup. This is the least of any of the eight quarter-finalists. Brazil have five which is the joint second least with Spain.
England are unbeaten in their last six World Cup matches and have only lost once (vs Romania in 1998) since losing 2-1 to Argentina in 1986. This, of course, ignores the 2-1 defeat by Italy in the third place play-off.

Brazil have won all of their four World Cup matches here and are the only nation to have done so.

Brazil have only lost thirteen of their 84 World Cup matches. The teams that have beaten them are Yugoslavia (1930), Spain (1934), Italy (1938 and 1982), Uruguay (1950), Hungary (1954 and 1966), Portugal (1966), Netherlands (1974), Poland (1974), Argentina (1990), Norway (1998), and France (1998).
It is now fourteen matches since a Brazilian was shown a red card in a World Cup match. The player was Leonardo, who was sent off in the second round match against the USA on 4 July 1994.

England are unbeaten in their last 11 competitive matches since losing at home to Germany in qualification in October 2000.
Brazil have scored in all of their last nine competitive matches.
Brazil have not drawn a competitive match since their 0-0 draw with Japan at last year's Confederations Cup. This is now a total of 16 competitive games without a draw.

England are unbeaten in their last seven matches (including friendlies) since losing to Italy earlier this year.
Brazil are unbeaten in their last 11 matches (including friendlies) since losing to Bolivia in qualification for this tournament.
Brazil have scored at least a goal in their last 16 matches (including friendlies).

England coach Sven-Goran Eriksson is yet to see England lose a competitive match since he has been in charge. The 10 competitive games under Eriksson have resulted in seven wins and three draws.

England goalkeeper David Seaman is the oldest player from the eight teams that are in the quarter-finals of the 2002 World Cup.
This tournament is the fifth World Cup that Brazil have won all three Group matches but only once, in 1970, did they go on to win the tournament..

David Beckham has been directly involved in four of England's five goals at this World Cup. He took the corner which Sol Campbell scored from against Sweden, scored the goal himself against Argentina, took the corner that Ferdinand scored from against Denmark and played the ball to Heskey for the third goal against Denmark.

England have been involved in two penalty shoot-outs at World Cups. They have lost both - the first to West Germany in 1990 and the second to Argentina in 1998. The players who missed penalties were Stuart Pearce and Chris Waddle in 1990 and Paul Ince and David Batty eight years later.

Brazil have been involved in three penalty shoot-outs. They lost to France in 1986 but beat Italy in 1994 to win the World Cup and beat the Netherlands in 1998 to reach the final. In 1986, Socrates had his penalty saved and Julio Cesar hit the post. In 1994, Marcio Santos' penalty was saved but the other three scored were enough. In 1998, all four were scored.
Ronaldo and Rivaldo are the two members of their current squad who took successful penalties for Brazil in 1998. England only have Michael Owen of the three players who successfully took penalties in their shoot-out in 1998.

Monarch

Forum Member
Feb 24, 2002
London
I can't figure this game out. Too many variables. The retards in Scotland are hitting England hard in fear of us actually winning. They will be more than happy to lose all their money. Surely they have better things to do than hate England everyday of their lives. God Bless the Queen ;).

Andy

Forum Member
Nov 15, 2001
CA USA
Monarch

Monarch

You are right, this game is so hard to figure out. Anyway here's my thoughts .

If you really trust England's defense, then the Under and the Draw look very solid. In fact I have a feeling England might actually win this game. I've watched both teams very closely in this tournament, Brazil showed their weakness in both games agaisnt Belgium and Turkey, please don't quote me if I say England will win this game if they have half the chances Belgium had against Brazil. Now as I see, this game could possibly be Over the 2.5 goals easily if England can (I'm sure they will) score quick with Owen. Now you see I'm getting mix-up with the Over/Under, but I must say, the Draw looks very promising.

Andy

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

TIME TO MAKE $$$

Registered
Forum Member
Jul 24, 2001
TORONTO, CANADA
England Gets Last Minute Boost
This could give England an insurmountable edge going into tonight's match....

DURAN DURAN PLEDGE TO RE-RECORD RIO AS FOOTIE TRIBUTE

Thursday June 20 2002

Duran Duran have pledged to re-record their hit Rio as a tribute to England's heroic defender if the team beat Brazil.

Simon Le Bon says the band will head into the recording studio with new lyrics devoted to Rio Ferdinand, who was credited with the first goal in the win against Denmark.

Fans have already been adapting the song into a terrace chant with the lyrics which begin: "His name is Rio and he dances in Japan."

Le Bon says the re-formed band would revamp the track after proving a hit with footie fans.

"I'm really amazed that the song is having this new life actually," said Le Bon, whose single was a number nine hit almost 20 years ago.

"It's really great for us to be a little part of what's going on in Japan because we're really excited about it obviously.

"I tell you what, if we beat Brazil we're going to re-record it with the new lyrics," said Le Bon, 43, who has reassembled the line-up of the band which dominated the charts in the early Eighties.

"We're thinking about doing this version. Andy (Taylor, guitarist) and I were just talking about it."

He added: "We're just very excited - it's the furthest England have got in the World Cup for ages. Brazil aren't unbeatable. We've got a good organised team and we're going to do really well."