Euro '08 Sun Quarterfinal

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

3 Seconds

Fcuk Frist
Forum Member
Jan 14, 2004
Marlton, NJ
Spain to Qualify -130

The world champions will go down today. The loss of Pirlo & Gattusa in the midfield for this match looms large when facing the highly skilled Spanish attack.

Villa & Torres will prove too much today, my only concern is Spain choking once again on the world stage. I have to believe they will put the past behind them & that this is their tournament to win.

$1300 to win $1000

:0corn

DR STRANGELOVE

Forum Member
Mar 13, 2003
Toronto, Canada
tough game to cap, italy is missing the best defender in the world, and i think they will really miss him today. Plus as mentioned, missing pirlo and gattusso who is a great defensive midfielder will hurt them.

Going for them, italy has the experience and all the teams winning their group have failed to advance. I wonder if spain shows up today, that is the question. I know one thing, if italy wins today, there will be a HUGE party here in Toronto. Myself, I am taking the under in 2.5 goals and under in yellow cards, i expect a low scoring game.

good luck

3 Seconds

Fcuk Frist
Forum Member
Jan 14, 2004
Marlton, NJ
tough game to cap, italy is missing the best defender in the world, and i think they will really miss him today. Plus as mentioned, missing pirlo and gattusso who is a great defensive midfielder will hurt them.

Going for them, italy has the experience and all the teams winning their group have failed to advance. I wonder if spain shows up today, that is the question. I know one thing, if italy wins today, there will be a HUGE party here in Toronto. Myself, I am taking the under in 2.5 goals and under in yellow cards, i expect a low scoring game.

good luck

Italy does have the winning experience, but they will have some holes on defence today & their spacing has not been very good recently. Granted they have the best keeper in the world behind them, but today I dont think it is enough. The younger legs & pace put forth by the aggresive Spanish squad should prove too much this afternoon.

Gattusso is a huge loss that many may not realize up front, but he is a tenacious grinding defender. Prilo's play-making will be missed as well as on set pieces as he does well w/ free kicks.

If Spain's back 4 can play somewhat confident they should be just fine in this match. Puylo on Toni is my biggest concern w/ individual match ups as Puylo is much smaller & nursing a foot injury.

I, personally, would be a little nervous w/ the U 5 yellows. In a friendly played in March their were 5 yellows handed out (3 to Itlay 2 to Spain) & I expect the intensity to be much greater today. I think Italy is well aware they have to be VERY physical today & really slow the pace of this game down....that plus the temperment of the Spanish players which comes to the surface in these pressure packed games could lead to a high number of bookings.

GL w/ your plays DSL!

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

DR STRANGELOVE

Forum Member
Mar 13, 2003
Toronto, Canada
Italy does have the winning experience, but they will have some holes on defence today & their spacing has not been very good recently. Granted they have the best keeper in the world behind them, but today I dont think it is enough. The younger legs & pace put forth by the aggresive Spanish squad should prove too much this afternoon.

Gattusso is a huge loss that many may not realize up front, but he is a tenacious grinding defender. Prilo's play-making will be missed as well as on set pieces as he does well w/ free kicks.

If Spain's back 4 can play somewhat confident they should be just fine in this match. Puylo on Toni is my biggest concern w/ individual match ups as Puylo is much smaller & nursing a foot injury.

I, personally, would be a little nervous w/ the U 5 yellows. In a friendly played in March their were 5 yellows handed out (3 to Itlay 2 to Spain) & I expect the intensity to be much greater today. I think Italy is well aware they have to be VERY physical today & really slow the pace of this game down....that plus the temperment of the Spanish players which comes to the surface in these pressure packed games could lead to a high number of bookings.

GL w/ your plays DSL!

you see this is what i call good info, wish i had seen this earlier, now i know why line was why as I was shocked to see it at 5, and based on the referee stats, thought 5 was high but based on your info I can see why now, hopefully it stays close so that no team takes silly/stupid fouls.

enjoy the game!

Cie

Registered
Forum Member
Apr 30, 2003
New Orleans
plus the temperment of the Spanish players which comes to the surface in these pressure packed games could lead to a high number of bookings.

GL w/ your plays DSL!

I resemble that remark:mj07:

images

Viva la Espana!!!!!

I agree with your take. Italy will keep it physical. Sweden played a physical game vs. Spain and it worked well in a near draw. Too many missing pieces for the Italians today imo. Spain advances:weed:

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Cie

Registered
Forum Member
Apr 30, 2003
New Orleans
So far the officiating is totally one-sided. Spain picks up a BS yellow, while Italy fouls twice in the box with no whistle. Same shit, different day. Officiating goes in the favor of Italy, France and Germany repeatedly imo.

3 Seconds

Fcuk Frist
Forum Member
Jan 14, 2004
Marlton, NJ
So far the officiating is totally one-sided. Spain picks up a BS yellow, while Italy fouls twice in the box with no whistle. Same shit, different day. Officiating goes in the favor of Italy, France and Germany repeatedly imo.

Not surprising at all. Spain is getting jobbed at the moment by the ref. Should had a PK & a FK from 1 yard outside the box already. Italy should have 1 if not 2 more yellow bookings.

Lets see if it continues into the 2nd half. Sometimes these things turn...

Otherwise I am very happy w/ Spain's performance. Just need to pick up the attack slightly & make the Italians pay when they come forward w/ a swift counter.

Last edited:
MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

DR STRANGELOVE

Forum Member
Mar 13, 2003
Toronto, Canada
italy is playing their old ways, defense first as they know they cant run with spain given their old age and lack of skill at midlfield.

I do believe spain should have had 1 pk and a fk but no goals is good and 2 of 5 cards first half, I'll take it!

Tapir Caper

Registered
Forum Member
Apr 14, 2008
Not surprising at all. Spain is getting jobbed at the moment by the ref. Should had a PK & a FK from 1 yard outside the box already. Italy should have 1 if not 2 more yellow bookings..

If the ref called all that weak crap the game would end up 10-9 because that stuff happens every time the ball goes in the box. A better interpretation of what's happening is the British announcer is exercising his anti-German bigotry. Par for the course with British commentators.

3 Seconds

Fcuk Frist
Forum Member
Jan 14, 2004
Marlton, NJ
If the ref called all that weak crap the game would end up 10-9 because that stuff happens every time the ball goes in the box. A better interpretation of what's happening is the British announcer is exercising his anti-German bigotry. Par for the course with British commentators.

Get over yourself. First off the color commentator is Scottish not British.

He is calling weak fouls in the middle of the field which he should play ons.

The on Villa in the box & the one just outside were legit fouls in any situation in any match.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Tapir Caper

Registered
Forum Member
Apr 14, 2008
Get over yourself. First off the color commentator is Scottish not British.

Might want to look up the definition of British, sport, cuz you're wrong about that too.

He is calling weak fouls in the middle of the field which he should play ons.

He's doing an ordinary job. Sometimes he lets them play on, sometimes he calls fouls. There is nothing remarkable about the reffing at all except the announcer has tried to make an issue of it.

The on Villa in the box & the one just outside were legit fouls in any situation in any match.

Every single striker who runs in the box gets kicked, tripped and jersey pulled. The refs only call the most egregious stuff, as it should be.

3 Seconds

Fcuk Frist
Forum Member
Jan 14, 2004
Marlton, NJ
Might want to look up the definition of British, sport, cuz you're wrong about that too.

He's doing an ordinary job. Sometimes he lets them play on, sometimes he calls fouls. There is nothing remarkable about the reffing at all except the announcer has tried to make an issue of it.

Every single striker who runs in the box gets kicked, tripped and jersey pulled. The refs only call the most egregious stuff, as it should be.

I dont know what game you are watching. This is a poor showing by this referee. Your seeing it any other way shows your lack of quality accessing performance.

On the British thing slapshot, while strictly speaking anyone from within the UK can be referred to as British, but I dont know any Scots that like being called British. They are Scottish & that's that.

Go back into your hole asshole & stay out of my threads.

:00x33

Last edited:

Tapir Caper

Registered
Forum Member
Apr 14, 2008
I dont know what game you are watching. This is a poor showing by this referee. Your seeing it any other way shows your lack of quality accessing performance.

It's assess, sport, and my posted record shows my ability.

On the British thing slapshot, while strictly speaking anyone from within the UK can be referred to as British, but I dont know

Blah, blah blah. You're wrong but can't admit it.

Tapir Caper

Registered
Forum Member
Apr 14, 2008
I guess your ability to read & comprehend is lacking as well...:shrug:

Oh, I think I'm done, checkers. I'll just leave you with the suggestion that international soccer aint reffed the same way as the bathhouse ring toss you're used to. :shrug:

3 Seconds

Fcuk Frist
Forum Member
Jan 14, 2004
Marlton, NJ
Oh, I think I'm done, checkers. I'll just leave you with the suggestion that international soccer aint reffed the same way as the bathhouse ring toss you're used to. :shrug:

Thanks for the heads up you dope.

If you cant simply admit that was a poor performance by the ref then so be it....

BTW....I didnt know you, in your 2 short months here, became the MJ's authority on 'International Soccer' :mj07:

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

weepaul

Forum Member
Sep 28, 2007

On the British thing slapshot, while strictly speaking anyone from within the UK can be referred to as British, but I dont know any Scots that like being called British. They are Scottish & that's that.

Go back into your hole asshole & stay out of my threads.

:00x33

I don't post on soccer only boxing but I am going to comment on your post as I am Scottish. 3 seconds is 100% correct, no Scottish people like to be called British.

It is like saying Canadians are American as they are from North America.

That goes for the Welsh and Irish as well.

DR STRANGELOVE

Forum Member
Mar 13, 2003
Toronto, Canada
can we please keep it civil guys,

thanks

congrats to spain, i think they deserved the win as they attacked more, italy choosing to play defensive (though i don't blame them for it). Italy had a chance to go up 1-0, but callias made a nice save that would have definitely gone in. Sometimes luck rolls ur way, other times it doesn't. Nevertheless, GO SPAIN