Fishing question for FDC

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

bleedingpurple

Forum Member
Mar 23, 2008
Where it is real F ing COLD
If the lake isn't very deep then the thermocline is gone and the lake has assuredly turned over already. I am guessing you have to have water temps in the 60s by now which means there is no significant thermocline.
I promise you that it is the hooks on the lure you are throwing. Put Mustad Triple grips with short shanks if you want to but I would also up size to a 4 at least on the front hook. The front treble can be bigger because of the way traps run nose down in the water. If they are biting traps then the should also bite a chatterbait with a swim trailer like a magic shad. Just to give them something different to look at.
Seriously, take a look at your hooks. They should stick into your fingernail without any pressure applied to it when you drag it down the surface of your thumbnail. I promise you its the hooks. Gamakatsu makes a nice round bend treble but I like the offset on the mustads. If you are fishing over grass, which you obviously are, if there are patches of dead grass next to live grass, that is where you want to fish early and late in the day. Rotting vegetation warms the water by a degree or two and the green grass provides the oxygen and they will just sit on that grassline. Are you using a 7' rod or a 6' and I know you said it is a medium action right? Try switching to a longer rod like 7'6" or 7'3" medium heavy and heavier flourocarbon line as well and you won't lose those fish. My guess is that you're using too short of a rod with not enough backbone either. Rattle traps are reaction baits so they will try to kill the sumbitch not suck it in. Try those two things and let me know bro.

I am using a 7 medium action open face. I bought it for my sister but I get a lot of use. I will have to ask you next year what to get cause the season is just about over and it's time to put money into more ice fishing supplies. :facepalm: I am spending money on the supplies and my buddy is building an 8 x16 ice shack, crank down on wheels, he says we are putting a big screen in it and having diec tv. I said that's fine just make sure there are beds in it. Me and my dog will be fucking living in that thing.

You are right they try to kill that bait. That's why I am glad I am using them cause they drill them and they jump as high as I ever seen, It's not a big deal that they spit it out unless its the Monster, still have caught my biggest fish on Tru Turn hooks this year using sinking plastics and texas rig craw, when I got em hook set with that, there is no getting away my friend. It's a learning experience, oh I will say with the crank bait though you are getting more aggressive, better fighting fish by nature. Soft plastics catch a lot of small ones, the cranks seem to just attract bigger fish small ones less frequent

vinnie

la vita ? buona
Forum Member
Sep 11, 2000
Here
We're here for you!!!

WE ARE MADJACK'S!!!!!

552122_452728024771542_305678901_n.jpg

fatdaddycool

Chi-TownHustler
Forum Member
Mar 26, 2001
Fort Worth TX usa
I am using a 7 medium action open face. I bought it for my sister but I get a lot of use. I will have to ask you next year what to get cause the season is just about over and it's time to put money into more ice fishing supplies. :facepalm: I am spending money on the supplies and my buddy is building an 8 x16 ice shack, crank down on wheels, he says we are putting a big screen in it and having diec tv. I said that's fine just make sure there are beds in it. Me and my dog will be fucking living in that thing.

You are right they try to kill that bait. That's why I am glad I am using them cause they drill them and they jump as high as I ever seen, It's not a big deal that they spit it out unless its the Monster, still have caught my biggest fish on Tru Turn hooks this year using sinking plastics and texas rig craw, when I got em hook set with that, there is no getting away my friend. It's a learning experience, oh I will say with the crank bait though you are getting more aggressive, better fighting fish by nature. Soft plastics catch a lot of small ones, the cranks seem to just attract bigger fish small ones less frequent

Yeah, it's a reaction bite compared to a predatory bite. Big difference. The one thing you can do is check that your drag is set right. One thing you can do is take an empty plastic milk container. If you are catching 2-3 pounders fill it 2/3 with water if it is closer to 3 pounders then fill it 3/4 of the way close it up tight and tie your line to it and throw it in the lake or pool. You will need to get around twenty or thirty yards of line out and do a sweep set. The drag should hold all the way until the last few inches of the sweep, where you should hear it slip a bit. You know what I mean. The milk jug should float and be retrievable too.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

bleedingpurple

Forum Member
Mar 23, 2008
Where it is real F ing COLD
Yeah, it's a reaction bite compared to a predatory bite. Big difference. The one thing you can do is check that your drag is set right. One thing you can do is take an empty plastic milk container. If you are catching 2-3 pounders fill it 2/3 with water if it is closer to 3 pounders then fill it 3/4 of the way close it up tight and tie your line to it and throw it in the lake or pool. You will need to get around twenty or thirty yards of line out and do a sweep set. The drag should hold all the way until the last few inches of the sweep, where you should hear it slip a bit. You know what I mean. The milk jug should float and be retrievable too.

Just got news that my coworker is willing to take my shift tomorrow. Will be 75 and about the last day in 70s for here. We are going to two different bodies of water, these lakes are a little bit deeper but still be fishing vegetation in 6 - 10 Feet. Have a feeling I will be losing a few $$$ on baits tomorrow. Big Northern Pike is around and I am willing to bet they will be aggressive towards a crank bait. I have not used a leader and I am sure a leader would change the action of what I am using.
BIG CRAPPIES and GILLS in this body, as well.

Won't have time to try what you have suggested equipment wise or with milk jug. Going with what I got! :0074

Iron River WI

Minong WI / Wascott WI

Minong is the home to Link's Beef Jerkey.

Reactions: dcgoz

fatdaddycool

Chi-TownHustler
Forum Member
Mar 26, 2001
Fort Worth TX usa
Just got news that my coworker is willing to take my shift tomorrow. Will be 75 and about the last day in 70s for here. We are going to two different bodies of water, these lakes are a little bit deeper but still be fishing vegetation in 6 - 10 Feet. Have a feeling I will be losing a few $$$ on baits tomorrow. Big Northern Pike is around and I am willing to bet they will be aggressive towards a crank bait. I have not used a leader and I am sure a leader would change the action of what I am using.
BIG CRAPPIES and GILLS in this body, as well.

Won't have time to try what you have suggested equipment wise or with milk jug. Going with what I got! :0074

Iron River WI

Minong WI / Wascott WI

Minong is the home to Link's Beef Jerkey.

Sweet. Just use a fish to set the drag then. Good luck and have fun.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg