Gonzaga vs. UCLA

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

Pkorkis

Forum Member
Oct 14, 2004
I want to know what you guys think about this game. I have a few issues to write about that I want to hear opinions on...I know a good amount about Gonzaga b/c I've seen them play a lot b/c I attend USD (a WCC school). And I need someone that knows a lot about UCLA to compliment me...

First: Adam Morrison
Overrated...overrated...overrated. Yes I keep hearing all of it too. And yes, I do believe that his skills aren't near what they Dicky V and the rest of the public believes they are...and I don't think he'll be nearly as good as everyone thinks in the pro's. BUT, I've seen him play in college, and his skills @ the college level are pretty damn good, and that's what matters right now. He has the skills to put up 30+ and he serves as a huge emotional boost for Gonzaga fans and players if he gets pumped up/"crazy". He can create pretty well, and has a shot that if he gots hot with, is pretty money. What I don't know is whether or not UCLA has a very good defender. I know when he matched up against Corey Belser (USD - Collegeinsider Defender of the Year) he was shut down, and held below 20 points twice I believe. I want to know if anyone knows a lot about UCLA's D. Do they have a guy that can stop him?

Second: Post Game
J.P. Batista is one of the most underrated players in the tourny, and possibly the nation in my opinion. The guy is a HOUSE - listed @ 6'9'', 269 but I've seen him person and myself, along w/ all my friends say he is around 280. He is HUGE, and is one hell of a force downlow. My question is does UCLA have a man to match up against him? I watched them against Alabama and I saw NO post game for UCLA, or any defense against it. UCLA doesn't have a guy above 240 except for Senior Michael Fay who avg's 6.6 minutes per game. These are UCLA's "big men" that avg. over 20mpg.
Ryan Hollins
7'0 - 225 Senior - 20.9mpg - 6.5 ppg - 4.4 rpg
&
Mbah a Moute
6'7 - 215 Fresh. - 29.4mpg - 9.0 ppg - 8.1 rpg
This is their leading rebounder
Whereas Gonzaga has
J.P. Batista
6'9 - 269 Senior - 32.6mpg - 19.3 ppg - 9.4 rpg

I just don't see UCLA being able to contain Batista. Batista faced a similar sized man w/ USD's Nick Lewis @ 6'10 235. Granted UCLA's men are probably a bit more skilled than Lewis, but don't underestimate Nick Lewis. He is a good player and Batista just man-handled him having a 21 & 13 game, going to the line 14 times. I can keep going on but this is getting REALLY LONG.

I know everyone thinks Zags are America's team, and that public & ESPN favors them, and the UCLA is a 2 seed out of the Pac-10, and Gonzaga is just out of the WCC. I believed from the start that Gonzaga was overrated coming into the tourny and I've seen them play a lot. But I just don't know if UCLA can contain Batista and the rest of the supporting cast. What do you guys think? I am tempted to put money on Gonzaga but I want to hear some more about UCLA first.

Pkorkis

Forum Member
Oct 14, 2004
Just heard Farmar say this on ESPN...tell me if this sounds weird...
"It feels great...I might have a little tape on it just b/c it might get sore and for some extra support but other than that it feels great"
Is this me making something of nothing or does that sound like it hurts but he's just saying it doesn't. If it feels great why does he need tape for support and for when it feels sore? Is it just me or does it sound like Farmar will have a bummed wrist regardless of what he says its like?
(watched D-Wade against the Pistons go something like 4-20 tonight on a bummed wrist)
you tell me guys...am I correct in this "psycho-analysis" or should I just go get some sleep...

Jayhawk_Thor

Rock Chalk
Forum Member
Dec 26, 2004
Lawrence, KS
Pkorkis, nice write-up...

Thanks for putting in the time...

I have no insider information on UCLA nor Farmar's ales, I will, however, be on the Bruins.

You can drive yourself nuts looking over matchups... so I will make this short: the one to look at is the coaching matchup. Ben Howland is one of the top coaches in college basketball, IMO. I think he will find a way to get Morrison out of his game without allowing the "supporting" cast (using this term liberally) to go off.

GL on your decision.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

edludes

Forum Member
Oct 25, 2001
alaska
bet the under 137 with the bummed wrist,just a thought.Its dropping like a stone thursday am.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

gjn23

Forum Member
Mar 20, 2002
So. Cal
afflalo is the guy who can slow down morrison.....also might see bozeman on him

as for batista.....hes big but a bit slow and not a quick jumper

the prince and hollins are....they will likely double him

look for farmar to eat up ravio...biggest mismatch on the floor

Spalding

Forum Member
Oct 24, 2002
Nodak
I know its early but UCLA doesn't have a clue out there.

Have they ever seen a zone before? Throwing it away, throwing up brick after brick. Slow start.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

gjn23

Forum Member
Mar 20, 2002
So. Cal
well, ucla isnt the best outside shooting team so a zone is an effective defense vs them.....i also think that memphis could give them problems with their size and quickness

Killrus

Forum Member
Sep 12, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
4 Team Parlay
(813) LSU +240 Thu@7:10p
(816) Texas -230 Thu@9:40p
(818) UCLA -4 (-105) Thu@9:55p
(874) Connecticut -300 Fri@9:55p
Risk $50.00 to win $584.95

/hopefully dont need to hedge at halftime..

Spalding

Forum Member
Oct 24, 2002
Nodak
UCLA has no idea what is going on. None.

I hope they are close enough at half to hedge and get my ass out of this abortion.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

gjn23

Forum Member
Mar 20, 2002
So. Cal
terrible start by both ucla and the refs

16 fouls called in 8 mins.......WTF?

Spalding

Forum Member
Oct 24, 2002
Nodak
I've seen monkey shit fights at the zoo that are more organized than UCLA's offense. :mj07:

Who would have thought that Gonzagas defense would stifle somebody! Unreal.

Jayhawk_Thor

Rock Chalk
Forum Member
Dec 26, 2004
Lawrence, KS
Jayhawk_Thor said:
Pkorkis, nice write-up...

Thanks for putting in the time...

I have no insider information on UCLA nor Farmar's ales, I will, however, be on the Bruins.

You can drive yourself nuts looking over matchups... so I will make this short: the one to look at is the coaching matchup. Ben Howland is one of the top coaches in college basketball, IMO. I think he will find a way to get Morrison out of his game without allowing the "supporting" cast (using this term liberally) to go off.

GL on your decision.

I'm an idiot.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg