GOP will sooner see our nation collapse than agree to Clinton-era taxes on wealthy

smurphy

cartographer
Channel Member
Jul 31, 2004
L.A.
...which of course happens to be the last time the budget was balanced. WTF is wrong with this people? Obama will compromise and cut spending. Do what's right for the COUNTRY you pricks! :rolleyes:

Skulnik

Truth Teller
Forum Member
Mar 30, 2007
Jefferson City, Missouri
...which of course happens to be the last time the budget was balanced. WTF is wrong with this people? Obama will compromise and cut spending. Do what's right for the COUNTRY you pricks! :rolleyes:

Maybe if they could go back to Clinton era SPENDING they would. The Democrats like to repeat this OVER and OVER, do you think the Democrats will AGREE with Clinton era SPENDING?

I bet NOT.

JMHO

:0008

The Sponge

Forum Member
Aug 24, 2006
Maybe if they could go back to Clinton era SPENDING they would. The Democrats like to repeat this OVER and OVER, do you think the Democrats will AGREE with Clinton era SPENDING?

I bet NOT.

JMHO

Are u aware there was a budget surplus under Clinton? Why are u so worried about the Rich paying a fair share when u are not one of them? I know when i was around three i dreamed of being a billionaire but it was just a dream. At what point do u wake up from the dream?

Trampled Underfoot

Registered
Forum Member
Feb 26, 2001
I just hope people are actually taking notice. The GOP wants to cut programs for the poor and refuses to talk about raises takes on the wealthy. What the fuck is wrong with some people? The audacity is sickening.

THE KOD

Registered
Forum Member
Nov 16, 2001
Victory Lane
WASHINGTON?A "real solution" to U.S. fiscal problems isn't possible as long as President Barack Obama remains in office, Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell said Tuesday, heightening the rhetoric surrounding the debt-ceiling debate.

Mr. McConnell, the Senate's top Republican, and House Speaker John Boehner (R., Ohio), both blamed President Obama for the stalemate in the debt-ceiling and deficit-reduction talks, and urged the White House to break the impasse. Negotiations were to resume for a third-straight day Tuesday afternoon.

Mr. McConnell said he had gone into negotiations in good faith over how to formulate a deficit-reduction package to accompany an increase in the statutory borrowing limit. The Treasury has said the limit must be raised by Aug. 2 to avoid the potential of a U.S. default on its debts, while Mr. Obama has said he wants a deal by July 22.

its just our pathetic political system of get nothing done no matter what.

its just sickening

StevieD

Forum Member
Jun 18, 2002
Boston

I bet NOT.

JMHO

How did Bush pay for his goofy little "wars?"

The rich did ok under Clinton. In fact, the whole thing fell apart after the Bush Tax Cuts were put in place. He cut taxes while fighting a "war." First President to do that. I wonder why?

Skulnik

Truth Teller
Forum Member
Mar 30, 2007
Jefferson City, Missouri
How did Bush pay for his goofy little "wars?"

The rich did ok under Clinton. In fact, the whole thing fell apart after the Bush Tax Cuts were put in place. He cut taxes while fighting a "war." First President to do that. I wonder why?

Clinton Era Taxes/ Clinton Era Spending, let's do it NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:0074

A

azbob

Clinton was such a whore for politics (among other things) that he trashed his own core principles so he could get re-elected. Tax cuts, cutting welfare, cutting handouts...and all of that worked.

The leftists who remember the good old years of Clinton were out in front (with the same rehtoric as today) about cutting "programs for the poor" and the only result was a balanced budget, lower birthrate and alot more people getting a job instead of sitting at home.

At least you can credit The Obama for maintaining some respectibility for sticking with his principles...albeit naive as it is becoming obvious he is in over his head. That is too bad because in 10-15 years he might have had the potential to be a good president instead of the second coming of Jimmy Carter.

ssd

Forum Member
Aug 2, 2000
Ohio
Can someone please explain to me what my FAIR SHARE of taxes are? I am pretty damn sure that I use less government services than most and really only desire the federal government to secure my safety from foreign forces. I do not collect unemployment insurance, welfare, medicare, medicaid, SS, food stamps or any of the litany of government assistance programs. I paid my own way through college.

What is my fair share?

And if there really is a FAIR share? Let's figure the damn thing out, abolish an antiquated tax system and go to a flat tax, errrr, hell, let's call it a FAIR TAX and drop the same # on everyone across the board.

Add a national sales tax and we'd probably be staring at a surplus within 12 years.

There is no need for this government to raise taxes on ANYONE. The federal government receives more than enough money in tax revenue to operate. We have a spending problem across the board.

If (R) want to cut entitlement programs and not raise taxes then make the (R) cut defense spending a proportionate amount.

In December, the Bush tax rates were extended. We were told at that time, raising taxes with the economy in its current state would not be prudent. Fast forward to today. The economy is not better and I would argue in worse shape but now it is OK to raise taxes? What happened to the argument from December?

Trampled Underfoot

Registered
Forum Member
Feb 26, 2001
Can someone please explain to me what my FAIR SHARE of taxes are? I am pretty damn sure that I use less government services than most and really only desire the federal government to secure my safety from foreign forces. I do not collect unemployment insurance, welfare, medicare, medicaid, SS, food stamps or any of the litany of government assistance programs. I paid my own way through college.

Some of you are just incredible. Congrats for making it through life without any issues at all. Some people aren't that lucky.

So from your statement above, I am assuming that you've never opened a door for another living soul. If you have, why? Why would you expend YOUR energy to help out another soul that should open that door on their own. Fucking pathetic. :facepalm:

Trampled Underfoot

Registered
Forum Member
Feb 26, 2001
In December, the Bush tax rates were extended. We were told at that time, raising taxes with the economy in its current state would not be prudent. Fast forward to today. The economy is not better and I would argue in worse shape but now it is OK to raise taxes? What happened to the argument from December?

Absolutely correct. Obama was a pussy and should have told the GOP to go to hell. Wasn't it the GOP that was holding up unemployment checks to keep the elite in their nice tax bracket? Nice. :facepalm:

Skulnik

Truth Teller
Forum Member
Mar 30, 2007
Jefferson City, Missouri

What is my fair share?

And if there really is a FAIR share? Let's figure the damn thing out, abolish an antiquated tax system and go to a flat tax, errrr, hell, let's call it a FAIR TAX and drop the same # on everyone across the board.

Add a national sales tax and we'd probably be staring at a surplus within 12 years.

There is no need for this government to raise taxes on ANYONE. The federal government receives more than enough money in tax revenue to operate. We have a spending problem across the board.

If (R) want to cut entitlement programs and not raise taxes then make the (R) cut defense spending a proportionate amount.

The only sure thing is if they RAISE the Rates on the Rich, a few months later they'll say the same thing all over again, they're still not paying their FAIR SHARE.

There's a SPENDING PROBLEM.

JMHO

ssd

Forum Member
Aug 2, 2000
Ohio
Go to hell, Trampled. You know nothing about me. I am one of the most generous and charitable people that I know. And, I hold the door open for little old ladies and girls and boys and whomever might be walking in behind me. Every month, a donation of clothing or items or cash goes to the Vietnam Vets as well as Easter Seals and I am active in events regarding Breast Cancer and Parkinson's Disease.

Because I would rather control WHO gets my money rather than obfuscating that responsibility to a bureaucrat does not make me a bad person. It makes me a responsible one.

So, answer the question. What is a 'fair' share?

Skulnik

Truth Teller
Forum Member
Mar 30, 2007
Jefferson City, Missouri
Go to hell, Trampled. You know nothing about me. I am one of the most generous and charitable people that I know. And, I hold the door open for little old ladies and girls and boys and whomever might be walking in behind me. Every month, a donation of clothing or items or cash goes to the Vietnam Vets as well as Easter Seals and I am active in events regarding Breast Cancer and Parkinson's Disease.

Because I would rather control WHO gets my money rather than obfuscating that responsibility to a bureaucrat does not make me a bad person. It makes me a responsible one.

So, answer the question. What is a 'fair' share?

Turfgrass

Forum Member
Sep 26, 2002
Raleigh
Just a question: If the rich aren't paying their taxes, then just how is it that the Government is collecting about 40% of all income taxes paid from the top 1% of income earners?

Somebody 'splain that to me please.

Trampled Underfoot

Registered
Forum Member
Feb 26, 2001
The funny thing is that we aren't even trying to raise taxes where they were before Reagan (where they should be). This whole debate is fucking pathetic. And those that defend the GOP are fucking pathetic.

Skulnik

Truth Teller
Forum Member
Mar 30, 2007
Jefferson City, Missouri
The funny thing is that we aren't even trying to raise taxes where they were before Reagan (where they should be). This whole debate is fucking pathetic. And those that defend the GOP are fucking pathetic.

Obama approved them, must be Obama tax cuts for the rich.

December 17, 2010 4:19 PM PrintText
Obama Signs Bill To Extend Bush Tax Cuts
By Brian Montopoli Topics Economy .175 Comments
Have Your Say Email Story
Send to a Friend119 SharesTell Your FriendsTweet ThisTweet ThisMoreShare It. Del.icio.usFacebookStumbleuponNewsvineYahoo bookmarksMixxDiggRedditGoogle BookmarksTwitterLinkedIn
President Barack Obama, center seated, smiles after signing the $858 billion tax deal into law in a ceremony in the Eisenhower Executive Office Building on the White House complex, Friday, Dec. 17, 2010 in Washington.
(Credit: AP)
Updated 4:56 p.m. Eastern Time

In a display of compromise rarely seen during his time in office, President Obama has signed into law a $858 billion tax cut bill despite the misgivings of members of both parties.

Duff Miver

Forum Member
Jul 29, 2009
Right behind you

What is my fair share?

It's a good thing that you have no need of that rather short list of government services. I hope you never do.

However, unless you're a lot younger than I think, you must know that disaster could strike, and you could find yourself on the receiving end.

You have a family? If so, how could they handle you with, say, a terrible brain injury which rendered you a vegetable, requiring 24/7 care for the next 40 years? Would you deny them the use of Medicaid, so that some healthy person could increase his take-home pay by a percent?

Would you deny your surviving spouse SS payments when she found herself old and destitute from your medical expenses?

You're a smart guy, but you need to learn more about compassion. You may need some one day. :toast:

Bet on MyBookie