Guzman/Arthur

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

Romi

Forum Member
Apr 6, 2007
I didn't go for the over/under but I did put quite a bit on guzman straight up -750 and put him into 2 parlays. If Arthur somehow pulls the upset, it would be a painful loss. 2 things concern me...Guzmans consistent hand problems and the venue. If guzman hurts his hands then Arthur could have a shot although guzman does well w/the jab alone. Not sure if any here remember O'grady/Watt from the early 80's but Sean was wiping the floor w/Watt when some shenanigans occurred. O'grady was clearly butted late in the fight and couldn't continue. The victory was given to watt . That was many moons ago but certainly don't want history to repeat. That being said I can't see Guzman losing this one. He's the class here and I think the stars would need to be perfectly aligned for Arthur to win this. I don't think Arthur would survive a fighter like Humberto Soto and Soto simply had no answer for Guzman. I think Arthurs' corner throws in the towel mid rds.

Last edited:

gardenweasel

el guapo
Forum Member
Jan 10, 2002
"the bunker"
I didn't go for the over/under but I did put quite a bit on guzman straight up -750 and put him into 2 parlays. If Arthur somehow pulls the upset, it would be a painful loss. 2 things concern me...Guzmans consistent hand problems and the venue. If guzman hurts his hands then Arthur could have a shot although guzman does well w/the jab alone. Not sure if any here remember O'grady/Watt from the early 80's but Sean was wiping the floor w/Watt when some shenanigans occurred. O'grady was clearly butted late in the fight and couldn't continue. The victory was given to watt . That was many moons ago but certainly don't want history to repeat. That being said I can't see Guzman losing this one. He's the class here and I think the stars would need to be perfectly aligned for Arthur to win this. I don't think Arthur would survive a fighter like Humberto Soto and Soto simply had no answer for Guzman. I think Arthurs' corner throws in the towel mid rds.

hard to picture guzman not winning this...but,as always,the venue scares the hell outta me...

for some reason i don`t recall o`grady/watt...the one o`grady fight that sticks in my memory is when he won the title from hilmer kenty as a fairly significant dog....

imo,one of o`grady`s best performances...

can`t believe i don`t rememberwatt/o`grady...had to have been a shoot-out...

weepaul

Forum Member
Sep 28, 2007

:mj07: Your showing your age Romi.

I remember that fight well. O'grady got ripped off. He was beating Watt easily. Watt stuck the nut on him and cut O'rady wide open. I remember he had a shit load of fights and was only 24 at the time. He was called the Bumble Gum Kid in Scotland. Watt was a fighter who went much further than his skill set should dictate. Buchanan was far better.

After he retired, Watt came to my high school for a Q&A period.
I asked him if he was happy Duran had moved out of that weight class. He was arrogant enough to say he could beat Duran.

Watt turned out to be a complete knob. As soon as the Q&A session was done, he refused to sign autographs or get his photo taken with the kids.

As for Arthur, This is my reasoning on the fight. Guzman is lightning fast, has an iron chin and good stamina. Arthur has been KO'd at a domestic level and was decked in his last fight against a guy who only punches hard at a domestic level. He was glad to hear the final bell. He struggled badly against Koba Gogoladze and was behind on points until Koba started running out of gas. He was cut to pieces in that fight as well as others.
He is going to get hit too often in this fight for his skin to hold up.

Good luck.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

frank s.

Forum Member
Dec 11, 2004
I agree with everything EXCEPT laying such heavy lumber. Recovering from such a huge loss, should it occur, is a major chore. One poster here recently stated he uses "sure thing favorites" in his betting strategy. The only sure thing I am aware of is that farts usually stink. Guzman is the real deal at any rate. I won't bet it, but I will be pulling for one of the gang!

Romi

Forum Member
Apr 6, 2007
:mj07: Your showing your age Romi.

I remember that fight well.
O'grady got ripped off. He was beating Watt easily. Watt stuck the nut on him and cut O'rady wide open. I remember he had a shit load of fights and was only 24 at the time. He was called the Bumble Gum Kid in Scotland. Watt was a fighter who went much further than his skill set should dictate. Buchanan was far better.

After he retired, Watt came to my high school for a Q&A period.
I asked him if he was happy Duran had moved out of that weight class. He was arrogant enough to say he could beat Duran.

Watt turned out to be a complete knob. As soon as the Q&A session was done, he refused to sign autographs or get his photo taken with the kids.

As for Arthur, This is my reasoning on the fight. Guzman is lightning fast, has an iron chin and good stamina. Arthur has been KO'd at a domestic level and was decked in his last fight against a guy who only punches hard at a domestic level. He was glad to hear the final bell. He struggled badly against Koba Gogoladze and was behind on points until Koba started running out of gas. He was cut to pieces in that fight as well as others.
He is going to get hit too often in this fight for his skin to hold up.

Good luck.

I was 16 and in high school. I remember the night. Not sure if ABC or espn covered. Sean did commentary at the time for espn so they probably carried the fight. O'grady was a pretty decnt fighter despite the padded record, as long as he wasn't in w/ a puncher. Watt was ordinary. Bucannon (very underrated fighter) would have clearly beaten Watt and Duran would have murdered him.

Nice to see those comments on Arthur. Didn't realize Koba was winning and also nice to hear Arthur cuts easily. It will take a hometown robbery for the Dominican to lose.

weepaul

Forum Member
Sep 28, 2007
I was 16 and in high school. I remember the night. Not sure if ABC or espn covered. Sean did commentary at the time for espn so they probably carried the fight. O'grady was a pretty decnt fighter despite the padded record, as long as he wasn't in w/ a puncher. Watt was ordinary. Bucannon (very underrated fighter) would have clearly beaten Watt and Duran would have murdered him.

Nice to see those comments on Arthur. Didn't realize Koba was winning and also nice to hear Arthur cuts easily. It will take a hometown robbery for the Dominican to lose.

A way past his prime Buchanan DID beat a prime Watt. This was after Buchanan had lost to Duran and before Watt was champ.

The bottle gave Buchanan a worse beating than Duran ever could.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

HurricaneEddy

Forum Member
Nov 16, 2007
I thought this fight was postponed due to Guzman's visa problems and they dont know when the rematch is?

gardenweasel

el guapo
Forum Member
Jan 10, 2002
"the bunker"
when o`grady would do color commentary for fights after retiring,it always struck me how brittle his hands looked.....

he could punch,but had terrible hands......

wee...you`re a little harsh on your boys from the isles...

the stand-up style of the jim watt`s,the john stracey`s and the danny"boy" green`s wasn`t conducive to great defense...but,they were blood and guts tough guys...

ya` gotta give your peeps a little credit...

btw...jeft out barry mcguigan...he beat one of the great "road warriors of our time in eusebio pedroza....

mcguigan did something alot of excellent fighters couldn`t do...beat pedroza(who never fought at home...always on the road...and won)

pedroza was something....

Last edited:
MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

weepaul

Forum Member
Sep 28, 2007
when o`grady would do color commentary for fights after retiring,it always struck me how brittle his hands looked.....

he could punch,but had terrible hands......

wee...you`re a little harsh on your boys from the isles...

the stand-up style of the jim watt`s,the john stracey`s and the danny"boy" green`s wasn`t conducive to great defense...but,they were blood and guts tough guys...

ya` gotta give your peeps a little credit...

btw...jeft out barry mcguigan...he beat one of the great "road warriors of our time in eusebio pedroza....

mcguigan did something alot of excellent fighters couldn`t do...beat pedroza(who never fought at home...always on the road...and won)

pedroza was something....
Don't get me wrong Garden. The British isles have had some cracking fighters as you mentioned but the booze ruined a lot of them.

Benny Lynch, John Conteh, Jimmy Wilde, Randy Turpin, Freddy Mills, Honeygan, all warriors.

Tommy Farr being one of few guys to take Joe Louis the distance during his title reign prime. He said when someone mentioned Joe Louis name, his nose would start to bleed :mj07:

The night Barry beat Pedroza brought a lot of joy to me and I was almost crying when Stevie Cruz and the heat nearly killed him. Who in their right mind would take someone with my peely wally pink skin and throw us in 120 degree heat to fight. I stayed up until 4 in the morning to watch that fight. Barry was never the same again.

I do love my British compatriots but I will bet with my brain and not my heart when it comes to guys like Arthur.

I will say one thing about Watt, he kept his money and did not squander it.

I must admit , my favourite fighter of all time by far was Hagler.

weepaul

Forum Member
Sep 28, 2007
If you ever get the chance try and see the first fight between Dave McAuley and Fidel Bassa that took place in Ireland.

It is by far, one of the best fights you will ever witness. It was one of the last scheduled 15 rounders and by Christ did those 3 extra championship rounds make a difference.

Multiple knockdowns, in a give and take brawl.

weepaul

Forum Member
Sep 28, 2007
Guzman fixed his visa issues and the fight is on 5/3as scheduled.
I don't know, Romi. Guzman has resolved his Visa problems but I heard the fight will still be delayed for a little bit.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

BOXLOCKS

Surveyor
Forum Member
Sep 14, 2002
Hell
discord.com
One poster here recently stated he uses "sure thing favorites" in his betting strategy. The only sure thing I am aware of is that farts usually stink.

Don't forgot about death and taxes frankie

What a rat bastard that poster must be, how dare he enter this forum with such exageration. I say we take him out back and kick his ass. Nobody likes him much anyway...

:s2:

gardenweasel

el guapo
Forum Member
Jan 10, 2002
"the bunker"
One poster here recently stated he uses "sure thing favorites" in his betting strategy. The only sure thing I am aware of is that farts usually stink.

when betting sports,the phrase "sure thing" is a euphemism for "bowel movement".....cause one must feel like shit when that 10-1 "sure thing" is swirling around in the toilet bowl water just prior to the flush...... :em38: ....

(btw...who`s ass we droppin` this "sure thing" bizzle on?):shrug:

frank s.

Forum Member
Dec 11, 2004
If there is no shady stuff going on, Guzman should romp here. When it was up does anyone know what the round prop was lined at? I just don't like the visa crap and why this fight is a homer. I will probably stay away but hope Romi smacks em good with his play(s); and anyone else who is invested here.

Last edited:

BOXLOCKS

Surveyor
Forum Member
Sep 14, 2002
Hell
discord.com
If there is no shady stuff going on, Guzman should romp here. When it was up does anyone know what the round prop was lined at? I just don't like the visa crap and why this fight is a homer. I will probably stay away but hope Romi smacks em good with his play(s); and anyone else who is invested here.

Opened at 9.5....U-180/O+140

Line moved to U-140/O+120

I'm still looking for that rat bastard claiming "sure things" right and left, the nerve of that little prick...

:SIB

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Romi

Forum Member
Apr 6, 2007
No specific date but the fight is expected to be rescheduled for June, per BBC sports. I have a big chunk of reserves that will be tied up for the next several weeks.