Had car work done today

kneifl

Forum Member
Jan 12, 2001
Virginia
www.tradewithjon.com
Posted on Craigslist and let people bid each other out for lowest possible price. I needed to have my tires rotated and have both cabin air filters replaced.

To make a long story short, the lowest bid I got was $37 but he wanted me to drive 40 miles to Sterling, and I really didn't feel like doing that. So I paid a guy $45 to come out and do it at my place.

Watched him a little bit and didn't realize how easy it was to replace cabin filters. The shops charge way too much for this shit out here. Next time I'll do that yself. The one under the glove compartment is a piece of cake and the one under the hood is a little harder. The tire rotation is a little harder and takes a bit of time. If I ever invest in a good jack, I'l do all of this myself next time. Car just hit 30,000 miles, and when it hits 45,000 I am going to be prepared to flush the radiator by myself. I'm sure you can learn all about how to do this stuff in less than an hour on the internet but need to have the right tools. Just sayin'

kneifl

PaSprint

Forum Member
Jan 2, 2007
Central PA
Posted on Craigslist and let people bid each other out for lowest possible price. I needed to have my tires rotated and have both cabin air filters replaced.

To make a long story short, the lowest bid I got was $37 but he wanted me to drive 40 miles to Sterling, and I really didn't feel like doing that. So I paid a guy $45 to come out and do it at my place.

Watched him a little bit and didn't realize how easy it was to replace cabin filters. The shops charge way too much for this shit out here. Next time I'll do that yself. The one under the glove compartment is a piece of cake and the one under the hood is a little harder. The tire rotation is a little harder and takes a bit of time. If I ever invest in a good jack, I'l do all of this myself next time. Car just hit 30,000 miles, and when it hits 45,000 I am going to be prepared to flush the radiator by myself. I'm sure you can learn all about how to do this stuff in less than an hour on the internet but need to have the right tools. Just sayin'

kneifl

Kneif I'm sure you will take this personally, but as someone (like myself) who works in the automotive field, I think you have no idea how ridiculous this post is.
The poor bastards (like myself) who work in this field have got to be the most least respected people on the planet. Its people like yourself that think we get out of bed each day wondering how many people we can overcharge or fuck over?
And of course people in this field have got to be uneducated, live in dumpsters, and just have no right to make any profit working on automobiles.
Sure, there are several routine maintenance procedures anyone can do to a vehicle, like rotating tires and changing cabin filters. But I must say, you WILL NOT be "flushing" your own radiator unless you have a coolant flushing system (a good one is about 3 or 4 K so you know). You MIGHT be able to do a drain and refill on your own at 45K although at that mileage it would be a total waste of time and $$$$. However, depending on the make and model of your vehicle it will require that you bleed the air from the cooling system, otherwise you'll overheat the engine, ruin it, and then pay someone who actually knows what they are doing, several, SEVERAL, thousand to replace the cooked engine.
Now granted, there are alot of corrupt places (dealerships mostly) that do fuck people over...this is true. But its sad that people like yourself think that every person associated with the automotive repair field is a rip off artist.
What do YOU do for a living anyway? I'm quite sure that you are extremely overpaid! (this is sarcasm....just making a point)
Let us know when you are going to perform an appendectomy on one of your children (to save $$$ of course) so we can watch.... and possibly learn something to save ourselves a buck or two someday.

Morris

Tent Maker
Forum Member
Aug 23, 2002
Above the Clouds....

kneifl

Dude, I hope your not serious!! Rotate tires and change a filter? :shrug:

spartan

Forum Member
Jan 7, 2001
Long Island
Dude, I hope your not serious!! Rotate tires and change a filter? :shrug:[/QUOTE

The tire rotation is easy front tires go to the back on opposite sides and rears same deal.
To change a filter has to be very simple like changing the oil.

White Shadow

Forum Member
May 8, 2003
Lima, Ohio
Kneif I'm sure you will take this personally, but as someone (like myself) who works in the automotive field, I think you have no idea how ridiculous this post is.
The poor bastards (like myself) who work in this field have got to be the most least respected people on the planet. Its people like yourself that think we get out of bed each day wondering how many people we can overcharge or fuck over?
And of course people in this field have got to be uneducated, live in dumpsters, and just have no right to make any profit working on automobiles.
Sure, there are several routine maintenance procedures anyone can do to a vehicle, like rotating tires and changing cabin filters. But I must say, you WILL NOT be "flushing" your own radiator unless you have a coolant flushing system (a good one is about 3 or 4 K so you know). You MIGHT be able to do a drain and refill on your own at 45K although at that mileage it would be a total waste of time and $$$$. However, depending on the make and model of your vehicle it will require that you bleed the air from the cooling system, otherwise you'll overheat the engine, ruin it, and then pay someone who actually knows what they are doing, several, SEVERAL, thousand to replace the cooked engine.
Now granted, there are alot of corrupt places (dealerships mostly) that do fuck people over...this is true. But its sad that people like yourself think that every person associated with the automotive repair field is a rip off artist.
What do YOU do for a living anyway? I'm quite sure that you are extremely overpaid! (this is sarcasm....just making a point)
Let us know when you are going to perform an appendectomy on one of your children (to save $$$ of course) so we can watch.... and possibly learn something to save ourselves a buck or two someday.

OUTSIDE, NOW!!.......:box2:

kneifl

Forum Member
Jan 12, 2001
Virginia
www.tradewithjon.com

Not like "myself" I'm one up on fools that try to overcharge me, because I always shop around. I don't own a car over 2 years old so I don't really need maintenance often. Two Accord ex v6 exl's fully loaded, one an '07 and one an 09.

Trying to be nice here but what you posted is ridiculous. Why don't you think I could flush a radiator by myself. I have a buddy that's an engineer that did just that and rebuilt an engine - no automotive experience at all, ever.

As for what I do and me being overpaid or underpaid, I don't care what you think of me at all so you can just think of me as being dirt poor.

Try to be nicer to people and not wake up wondering how much you can "overcharge or fuck over" and I'm sure you'll go a lot further in your career.

kneifl

yyz

Under .500
Forum Member
Mar 16, 2000
On the course!
newsign.php

PaSprint

Forum Member
Jan 2, 2007
Central PA
Not like "myself" I'm one up on fools that try to overcharge me, because I always shop around. I don't own a car over 2 years old so I don't really need maintenance often. Two Accord ex v6 exl's fully loaded, one an '07 and one an 09.

Kneifl... you ALWAYS need "maintenance" meaning regular oil changes, and CABIN FILTERS! Honda's? Good choice!

Trying to be nice here but what you posted is ridiculous. Why don't you think I could flush a radiator by myself. I have a buddy that's an engineer that did just that and rebuilt an engine - no automotive experience at all, ever.

Kneifl.... I'm being nice here too bud. I dont give a damn if your buddy has a doctorate in "engineering" He DID NOT rebuild and engine all by himself. Unless he has a machine shop with a Bridgeport mill, and a host of other equipment needed to properly "rebuild" an engine. Alas, he might have had a competent machine shop prep his parts and he ASSEMBLED it....but I'm kinda doubting that. And NO...you can not FLUSH your own cooling system... you obviously missed the part where you need a flushing station to "flush" it. The only "flushing" you will do is with your garden hose and..... well lets just leave that be.

As for what I do and me being overpaid or underpaid, I don't care what you think of me at all so you can just think of me as being dirt poor.

Try to be nicer to people and not wake up wondering how much you can "overcharge or fuck over" and I'm sure you'll go a lot further in your career.

I am very nice to my customers Kneifl. Except the ones that barge in my shop with a part in hand asking me to install it. If you were smart enough to buy it yourself....then you can install it yourself because I dont use customer supplied parts. Next time you walk into your favorite place to eat.... take a raw steak in with you and ask them to cook it for you for 2 bucks? See what happens.
I also dont think you are poor Kneifl. I just knew you couldnt let this go without some sort of rebuttal.

THE KOD

Registered
Forum Member
Nov 16, 2001
Victory Lane
. Why don't you think I could flush a radiator by myself. I have a buddy that's an engineer that did just that and rebuilt an engine - no automotive experience at all, ever.

kneifl

sorry I think the guy is right

someone that wont taclkle rotating tires or filters will surely not be able to flush the radiator properly .

get back on craigns list pronto

and take yyz with you as he may have to change the other tail light after this long a time

MadJack

Administrator
Staff member
Forum Admin
Super Moderators
Channel Owner
Jul 13, 1999
home
how do you rotate tires without a lift? :shrug:

4 jacks?

Bet on MyBookie