Holgorsen to West Virginia

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

layinwood

Forum Member
Aug 29, 2001
Dallas, TX
Wow, I'm suprised the deal with Pitt came apart.

You guys are going to love Dana. He's taken Leach's offense and made it his own. IMO he's a brilliant offensive coordinator and a good recruiter as well. The players at Tech LOVED Dana. I think his attention to detail is going to make him a very good head coach.

I think the one big thing is who he brings in as his DC because I can promise you're going to have a top 5 offense.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

layinwood

Forum Member
Aug 29, 2001
Dallas, TX
Rick, this sucks for OSU. I'm pretty sure this will cost you guys Simms out of Abilene(5* rb). He was already wavering so this might be the deal breaker for him.

That will suck if you do lose him, the kid is absolutely awesome. Speed, big times moves and IMO would be the most perfect rb for that system that there is.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Jaxx

Go Pokes!
Forum Member
Jan 5, 2003
FL
Yea Sims committed after Holgorsen was hired and that offense definitely suites his talents. Even though I dont think they will change such an successful offense it could very well make him think twice. We knew Holgorsen would not be here long with the success he has had. Sure was hoping for one more year though. We need to make a OC Hire as soon as possible to shore things up and see where we stand with the recruits.

Holgorsen

:sadwave:

jhawksoon

Forum Member
May 1, 2005
The Heartland
Wouldn't you love to be a fly on the wall in Gundy's office when Holgorsen came to tell him he was thinking about leaving to go to W. Virginia?
Dana: Mike, I've got a great opportunity at W. Virginia.
Mike: Before you say any more, how much would it take to keep you here?
Dana: It's not about the money Mike.
Mike: Hold on let me get T. Boone Pickens on the line. T. Boone, how much do you want to write a check to Dana for to get him to stay?
:mj07:

joefrog91

Rah, Rah, TCU!
Forum Member
Nov 13, 2002
Waco, TX
Sucks for Stewart. He's not flashy, but he was able to put together winning seasons.

Sims to TCU! Well, I can dream can't I?

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

layinwood

Forum Member
Aug 29, 2001
Dallas, TX
Joe, he was already looking at TCU before Dana left. For some reason he's been wavering as of late. I think him going to TCU would be big. This kid will be dominate in college football if he goes to the right team.

BuckwheatJWN

Forum Member
Aug 13, 2009
I'm no big follower of college football except for local teams, but has there EVER been a "coach in waiting" hired from another team especially with no ties to the squad he's been hired by? Doesn't this have to be a slap in the face to Stewart? I mean the guy isn't even over 60. LOL I say he coaches the bowl game and quits? This new guy isn't going to show him much respect next year. Stewart will be nothing but a lame duck figuredhead of the worst kind. :shrug:
2 days ago 99.9% of the WVU fans never heard of the guy, now they act like Knute Rockne is coming in. :142smilie :142smilie

Last edited:

Wilson

Forum Member
Feb 8, 2002
1813 Virginia St
I'm no big follower of college football except for local teams, but has there EVER been a "coach in waiting" hired from another team especially with no ties to the squad he's been hired by? Doesn't this have to be a slap in the face to Stewart? I mean the guy isn't even over 60. LOL I say he coaches the bowl game and quits? This new guy isn't going to show him much respect next year. Stewart will be nothing but a lame duck figuredhead of the worst kind. :shrug:
2 days ago 99.9% of the WVU fans never heard of the guy, now they act like Knute Rockne is coming in. :142smilie :142smilie

A couple of points-

Who the fuck hasn't heard of Dana Holgorsen?

Stew has always known what the deal was before he was hired. He probably will just resign or agree to move to the AD office. He will do what is best for the football program at WVU and WVU will reward him handsomely. I am sure he is disappointed---but, Oliver Luck must think DH is the right fit and surely didn't want him going to arch rival Pitt.

Final point---Even if Stew wasn't okay with what is happening---maybe he could land at another BCS school? I am sure there will be tons knocking at the door of a coach that just finished 29-8 after 3 seasons. No? No? Exactly.

WVU is taking high road by honoring him with the offer to stay on another year. I doubt he accepts it.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

BuckwheatJWN

Forum Member
Aug 13, 2009
I seriously doubt that casual sports fans, which account for about 80-85% of all fans, know who the offensive coordinator of any college team is including their own. LOL It appears to me whenever a head coaching job is open at any school, big or small, the name most often mentioned is the most recent BIG NAMED coach who was successful who recently got fired. IE MIKE LEACH. I'm not going to bother with the research but I doubt if one would look on WVU blogs, etc if the name Dana Holgorsen (SP) was mentioned much til this week.
I know I not only never heard of him till last week, but I couldn't name the offensive coordinators at many of the top 25 schools in the nation. :shrug: But I am a self admitted casual fan

OH almost forgot the main purpose of my letter. Has there ever been a "coach in waiting" under these circumstances? It was not to have the Morgantown Times (or whatever the newspapers name is) run a poll on the offensive coordinators name at Ok St. Maybe Boone Pickens is screaming, "Where the HELL is Western Virginian University?" :00hour :00hour He can always ask Sooner fans. :mj07: :mj07:

Last edited:

Jaxx

Go Pokes!
Forum Member
Jan 5, 2003
FL
From what I have heard Holgorsen is quit the party mangnet. Does not drive past to many bars without hitting at least a couple. Loves the brown water and women. One of the reasons Pitt may have decided against the hire. One hell of an offensive mind though. Head coach? We shall see.

:0008

Skipper

BITCH!!
Forum Member
Feb 19, 2003
Knoxville
A couple of points-

Who the fuck hasn't heard of Dana Holgorsen?

Stew has always known what the deal was before he was hired. He probably will just resign or agree to move to the AD office. He will do what is best for the football program at WVU and WVU will reward him handsomely. I am sure he is disappointed---but, Oliver Luck must think DH is the right fit and surely didn't want him going to arch rival Pitt.

Final point---Even if Stew wasn't okay with what is happening---maybe he could land at another BCS school? I am sure there will be tons knocking at the door of a coach that just finished 29-8 after 3 seasons. No? No? Exactly.

WVU is taking high road by honoring him with the offer to stay on another year. I doubt he accepts it.

Wilson:

Stewart=Phil Fulmer

Great record, but many knew they weren't going to do any better, and no one is knocking down the door to hire them.

WVU will hopefully get back to playing exciting football because they have been boring as hell since Rich Rod left.

Skipper

BITCH!!
Forum Member
Feb 19, 2003
Knoxville
From what I have heard Holgorsen is quit the party mangnet. Does not drive past to many bars without hitting at least a couple. Loves the brown water and women. One of the reasons Pitt may have decided against the hire. One hell of an offensive mind though. Head coach? We shall see.

Johnny Majors did too, but Pitt won a NC with him:toast:

layinwood

Forum Member
Aug 29, 2001
Dallas, TX

Leach was the exact same way except for the women part, he is just way too weird. In his early days at Tech you could find him at bars near school and he had no problem having drinks with you. Problem is he would get more drunk than everyone else in the bar. Enough so that Tech had a "special" person for him in the evenings so he didn't make any big mistakes.

Maybe that's why Dana and Mike got along so well.

jhawksoon

Forum Member
May 1, 2005
The Heartland
It's sad that college football has gotten to this. What I mean is that this OC has had success for a total of one year and is supposedly now ready to be a head coach. Schools are so quick to try to find the next big thing that they will hire someone like the Skullet and hope that he does better than a current coach winning at almost a 80% rate. In the past the Skullet would have to spend some time and have success at a major program in order to get a HC job at a big school. I guess not these days. Good luck to W. Virginia, but there are too many uncertainties in my opinion.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

layinwood

Forum Member
Aug 29, 2001
Dallas, TX
It's sad that college football has gotten to this. What I mean is that this OC has had success for a total of one year and is supposedly now ready to be a head coach. Schools are so quick to try to find the next big thing that they will hire someone like the Skullet and hope that he does better than a current coach winning at almost a 80% rate. In the past the Skullet would have to spend some time and have success at a major program in order to get a HC job at a big school. I guess not these days. Good luck to W. Virginia, but there are too many uncertainties in my opinion.

He hasn't had a ton but he lead Tech to the number 1 offense, Houston to the number 1 offense and Okie State the number 1 offense. It's not a long track record but there is some pudding there and I can say I've seen the proof.

I think the other reason is because he's a pretty good recruiter on top of being an offensive guru.

jhawksoon

Forum Member
May 1, 2005
The Heartland
He hasn't had a ton but he lead Tech to the number 1 offense, Houston to the number 1 offense and Okie State the number 1 offense. It's not a long track record but there is some pudding there and I can say I've seen the proof.

I think the other reason is because he's a pretty good recruiter on top of being an offensive guru.

I don't know the numbers but I bet Tech was already there being that Leach started it all and taught Holgorsen most of what he knows. Houston has always been a scoring maching since Rodney Peete was there. I will agree that he made some good changes at Okla. St. As far as his recruiting capabilities, I can't comment, but will take your word for it.