Hurricane Dennis

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

mb

Forum Member
Nov 30, 1999
Florida
Anyone else about get the hell out of town? I live in Fort Walton Beach and apparently we're going to get a visit. We took a pretty good hit from Ivan last year which hit about 75 miles west of here and destroyed Pensacola about 40 miles west. Looks like we're going to take the hit this time at at least a high Cat 3 possibly a low 4. On a happier note we're leaving for either Atlanta or New Orleans, I'm hoping Atlanta to pick up some more Sweetwater 420 and bring back to whatever is left. :sadwave:

SixFive

bonswa
Forum Member
Mar 12, 2001
BG, KY, USA
I know some folks in Haiti have been killed already. Sounds like a bad deal. Hope it doesn't hit too hard.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

IE

Administrator
Forum Admin
Forum Member
Mar 15, 1999
best of luck and godspeed mb and any other madjacker's in the path of dennis...

205500P_sm.gif

WTNT34 KNHC 080237
TCPAT4
BULLETIN
HURRICANE DENNIS ADVISORY NUMBER 14
NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL
11 PM EDT THU JUL 07 2005

...DENNIS BECOMES AN EXTREMELY DANGEROUS CATEGORY FOUR HURRICANE ON
THE SAFFIR-SIMPSON HURRICANE SCALE...NEW WARNINGS ISSUED...

AT 11 PM EDT...0300 UTC...THE GOVERNMENT OF CUBA HAS UPGRADED THE
HURRICANE WATCH TO A HURRICANE WARNING FOR THE PROVINCES OF LA
HABANA AND CIUDAD DE LA HABANA. A HURRICANE WARNING IS NOW IN
EFFECT FOR THE PROVINCES OF LA HABANA...CIUDANA DE LA HABANA...
MATANZAS... VILLA CLARA... CIENFUEGOS...SANCTI SPIRITUS...CIEGO DE
AVILA...CAMAGUEY...LAS TUNAS...GRANMA...SANTIAGO DE CUBA...HOLGUIN
AND GUANTANAMO. A HURRICANE WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FOR THE
REMAINING PROVINCES OF CUBA INCLUDING THE ISLE OF YOUTH AND PINAR
DEL RIO.

A HURRICANE WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FOR THE LOWER FLORIDA KEYS
FROM THE SEVEN MILE BRIDGE WESTWARD TO THE DRY TORTUGAS...AND A
TROPICAL STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FOR THE REMAINDER OF THE
FLORIDA KEYS...EAST OF THE SEVEN MILE BRIDGE TO OCEAN REEF
AND FLORIDA BAY. A HURRICANE WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FOR THE
FLORIDA KEYS EAST OF THE SEVEN MILE BRIDGE TO OCEAN REEF AND
FLORIDA BAY.

AT 11 PM EDT...0300 UTC...A TROPICAL STORM WARNING IS IN EFFECT
ALONG THE FLORIDA WEST COAST SOUTH OF BONITA BEACH...AND ALONG THE
FLORIDA EAST COAST SOUTH OF GOLDEN BEACH. A TROPICAL STORM WATCH IS
NOW IN EFFECT ALONG THE FLORIDA WEST COAST NORTH OF BONITA BEACH TO
LONGBOAT KEY.

AT 11 PM AST...0300 UTC...THE HURRICANE WARNING FOR THE SOUTHWESTERN
PENINSULA OF HAITI IS CANCELLED. A HURRICANE WARNING REMAINS IN
EFFECT FOR ALL OF JAMAICA AND ALL OF THE CAYMAN ISLANDS. WARNINGS

IN JAMAICA WILL LIKELY BE CANCELLED FRIDAY MORNING.

A HURRICANE OR TROPICAL STORM WARNING MEANS THAT HURRICANE OR
TROPICAL STORM CONDITIONS...RESPECTIVELY...ARE EXPECTED WITHIN THE
WARNING AREA WITHIN THE NEXT 24 HOURS. PREPARATIONS TO PROTECT LIFE
AND PROPERTY SHOULD BE RUSHED TO COMPLETION IN THE HURRICANE
WARNING AREA.

A HURRICANE OR TROPICAL STORM WATCH MEANS THAT HURRICANE OR TROPICAL
STORM CONDITIONS...RESPECTIVELY...ARE POSSIBLE WITHIN THE WATCH
AREA...GENERALLY WITHIN 36 HOURS.

mb

Forum Member
Nov 30, 1999
Florida
Thanks guys,

Below is a link to the models that are used for forecasting. Unfortunately I've become very familiar with this site over the last year.

http://moe.met.fsu.edu/tcgengifs/

Six5: You originally from BG? I grew up in Glasgow, went the college in Louisville and then moved back for a few years before moving here 6 years ago. Spent a lot of my early 20's in the BG bars.

Michael

ageecee

Forum Member
Aug 17, 1999
Louisiana
would not go to new orleans there are a bunch of people without electricty from the tropical storm that hit 2 days ago.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

SixFive

bonswa
Forum Member
Mar 12, 2001
BG, KY, USA
mb said:
Six5: You originally from BG? I grew up in Glasgow, went the college in Louisville and then moved back for a few years before moving here 6 years ago. Spent a lot of my early 20's in the BG bars.

Michael

Yep, I was born up on the hill at the old hospital. Lived here all my life. Do you Neemer that used to post here? He was from Glasgow as well.

mb

Forum Member
Nov 30, 1999
Florida
Yeah, not sure what happened to him, haven't heard from him in a few years? You know Hap on here that's one of Dawgball's friends?

just cover

Cub Fan
Forum Member
Oct 10, 2001
Normal, Ill
good luck and stay safe Florida madjackers... My sister lives outside of Tampa and said today she is sick of the hurricanes the last few years. She might even move back to Illinois. I told her not to get crazy because I like to visit in the winter time..

jc

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

mb

Forum Member
Nov 30, 1999
Florida
Justcover,

My buddy and his girlfriend came down last weekend and commented on the heat. We're leaving a bar 2 in morning and it's 90 degrees with about 70 percent humidity. The only good point to this is you don't ever have to iron your clothes. If you're coming here avoid anytime between June and Sept. Feb-May and Oct-Nov are the best and the fishing is some the best in the states if you're into that.

ocelot

Forum Member
May 21, 2003
Mount Shasta
Live from Navarre here mb. Going to board up the windows though I doubt it will help as this bitch is now a high Cat 4.

This town is likely going to be disappeared.

Sick of this shit. May have to find a job somewhere else. Looks like the Gulf has a hurricane track worn out straight to our door.

kosar

Centrist
Forum Member
Nov 27, 1999
ft myers, fl
ageecee said:
would not go to new orleans there are a bunch of people without electricty from the tropical storm that hit 2 days ago.

Agree, definitely not New Orleans. They're very likely to get a good piece of this one as well. I *think* we're gonna miss the brunt of this one, here in Fort Myers(then again, that's what I thought about Charley last August until it turned), but we'll at the least get tropical storm winds.

I love Florida, but this is ridiculous. I spent 90% of last summer either cleaning up, helping others clean up, running from hurricanes, preparing for hurricanes, having a million people from other parts of the state that was currently being hit at my house for weeks..etc..etc..

This one is a monster, as Ocelot mentioned. It 'weakened' all the way from 150mph winds to 145mph because of Cuban mountains. If it hits the US at the same strength, it will be disastrous.

Good luck and stay safe to fellow Floridians, particularly those that live in the panhandle.

Ocelet, i've never heard of Navarre. Where is that?

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

just cover

Cub Fan
Forum Member
Oct 10, 2001
Normal, Ill
mb-

I usually go down in March when my wife, who is a teacher, and kids get out of school for spring break. I just talked to her again and she is serious about moving back up to Illinois. I guess she will be on the right side of the storm if it holds course. There won't be as much wind as the panhandle but alot of rain and possible tornados. She finally just got her fence fixed and big back bay like window that leaked water into the house. She also had trouble with a neighbor who didn't put his grill in the garage and it slammed into her house. From what she said this is going to be record year probably with a cat. 4 this early in the season. One other thing her house insurance almost doubled and she has to pay for the mold insurance if she wants it.

Her husbands family own part of and runs an orange orchard around that area and are wiped out. There whole business is pretty much gone with there fields bulldozed and trees burnt with the citrus canker(sp). One tree gets it and you have to pull all trees in a 1800 ft area and can't plant for 3 years. They had some in one tree and go about 50 yards and another tree had it so goodbye orchards, but they might buy some produce whole sale down south for the juice factory. My sister and husband are ok as he doesn't work on the orchard.

Did anybody see that fiction documentary called Oil Storm? WOW... And oil is already at $60 a barrel. Just think what would happen if that movie come true. If you didn't see it it starts out with 2 big hurricanes wiping out the oil refineries in I believe the New Orleans areas where I think 20% or more of our oil goes through. In the movie gas goes up to $8.00 and a barrel of oil is $125.00 which I think later this summer I hear we might be in the $3.00 range for quite awhile. Sounds scary.

good luck florida and panhandle madjackers... WOW is this a long post I guess I need something to do instead of watching my CHICAGO SCRUBBIES and already mumbling about "what till next year".....

jc

kosar

Centrist
Forum Member
Nov 27, 1999
ft myers, fl
I don't know if this is the start of this crap, but it just went from a gorgeous, perfect day to a monsoon with what looks to be about 35-40 mph winds.

Nole

Forum Member
Jan 7, 2002
Knoxville, Tn USA
You guys take care. Lived in Tallahassee most of my life and always dreaded those hurricanes, and we were 45 mins from the coast.

Be careful.

nole

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

NySportsfan

Forum Member
Jun 26, 2002
Long Island, NY
yea, the winds yesterday were ridiculous and today too, hopefully it weakens for everyones sake....but, I guess every area has their problems (be it snow, hurricanes, or earthquakes?) maybe besides Hawaii? but, I've had this discussion with Matt (Kosar) since I've moved here, him calling it paradise here, which is true in some regards, but with the threat of hurricanes for 4 months a year, that's tough, and g-d forbid something hits like last summer, people can lose their house, posessions, etc, it's just a horrible situation, everyone in the threat area, stay safe :clap: :clap: