Katrina Contracts go to Halliburton

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

JCDunkDogs

Forum Member
Sep 5, 2002
L.A. Area
I think we should all pay attention to this story as it develops. Follow the money...

Auditors Eye Open-Ended Katrina Contracts

By HOPE YEN
Associated Press Writer

September 22, 2005, 4:35 PM EDT

WASHINGTON -- Government auditors are questioning whether several multimillion-dollar Katrina contracts -- including one involving a Halliburton Co. subsidiary -- invite abuse because they are open-ended and not clearly defined.

The contracts, for services such as levee repair and emergency housing, were granted to companies based on their pre-existing business relationships with the government. Critics say the arrangements foster cronyism because a few repeat players typically get the best deals.

The Government Accountability Office and the Homeland Security Department, which has primary responsibility for reviewing the billions of dollars worth of Katrina contracts, said they will focus on the agreements that were awarded with little or no competition.

They include "indefinite delivery-indefinite quantity" contracts such as those involving Halliburton subsidiary Kellogg, Brown & Root Services Inc. of Arlington, Va., and San-Francisco-based Bechtel Corp. Both firms have strong ties to the Bush administration.

"We've been looking at all the contracts from day one," said Richard Skinner, the Homeland Security Department's inspector general. "One concern is whether you are getting the fair market value. The second is whether the people we are giving contracts to are the best qualified."

Of the 22 contracts awarded so far by the Army Corps of Engineers, 11 are so-called ID-IQs; so are several granted by the Federal Emergency Management Agency.

One such contract is a $16 million government work order given to the subsidiary of Halliburton, the company headed by Vice President Dick Cheney from 1995 to 2000 that has been cited for overcharging the government for work in Iraq. The deal, to plug levee breaches, was awarded as part of a pre-existing Navy construction contract.

Previous government audits have cited these type of contracts as highly vulnerable to abuse because government officials and companies can exploit their terms, which tend to be broadly defined, such as services as for "management improvement."

In the past, an ID-IQ contract for information technology was improperly used to justify hiring contract interrogators from Virginia-based CACI International for Iraq's Abu Ghraib prison. A Pentagon audit later found that and poor Army oversight contributed to problems, leading to allegations of torture.

"We want to make sure agencies have processes and procedures in place to ensure contracts are performed as required," said Bill Woods, a director at the GAO, the investigative arm of Congress. "Things can slip through the cracks."

Other targets include an agreement with Bechtel Corp. for short-term housing that was awarded without competition. The company, whose CEO Riley Bechtel served on President Bush's Export Council from 2003-04, began providing work even though a formal contract with cost and payment provisions has yet to be signed.

Bechtel spokesman Howard Menaker said the company was asked to provide an immediate supply of trailers and mobile homes in the Gulf Coast based on Bechtel's "long and accomplished history in emergency response." The company previously provided government services in Iraq.

Companies typically compete for an ID-IQ contract in a broad area, such as "information technology in Iraq." The deals give the government flexibility to act quickly in a crisis by granting work to a preapproved set of contractors, who then charge the government for the tasks they perform up to the maximum amount.

In recent years, however, GAO reports have found that ID-IQs can be prone to abuse.

For example, the GAO determined in June 2004 that the Pentagon went beyond the scope of an ID-IQ contract when it awarded work to KBR for Iraqi reconstruction efforts. It also said government officials routinely bypassed normal competition rules -- often improperly -- to reward repeat players based partly on comfort level than merit.

As a result, even when the government allowed competing bids, newer companies often didn't bother to submit time-consuming proposals. That's because the firms assumed there was little chance of winning, the GAO report said.

"You have to be careful what ID-IQs are used for, what gets tucked into them," said James Mitchell, spokesman for Stuart Bowen, the special inspector general for Iraq reconstruction.

The concerns have prompted a flurry of bills that would create additional oversight and fuller disclosure of Katrina contracts.

One, proposed by Senate Homeland Security Committee Chairwoman Susan Collins, R-Maine, would expand Bowen's authority to review Katrina spending.

House Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., meanwhile, has called for an independent antifraud panel modeled after the Sept. 11 commission. The bill by Rep. Henry Waxman, D-Calif., would ban "monopoly contracts" awarded to repeat players such as Halliburton and ensure deals are awarded "on merit as opposed to relationships."

DOGS THAT BARK

Forum Member
Jul 13, 1999
Bowling Green Ky
Quite amusing the liberal press exploits against anything with word Haliburton in it. You'll note the opening paragraph---

"WASHINGTON -- Government auditors are questioning whether several multimillion-dollar Katrina contracts -- including one involving a Halliburton Co. subsidiary -- invite abuse because they are open-ended and not clearly defined."

ONE involving a SUBSIDIARY--from the largest contractor in the worst natuaral disaster--can't list all their subsidiaries on one page--you just have to view the link-below

You need to find a fair and balanced network to get both sides or you will fall this type of hype--;)

Contract Connections?

Reuters reports that companies with a web of connections to the Bush administration are winning the first contracts to rebuild New Orleans. The story notes that the Shaw Group (search) of Baton Rouge, which has been awarded $200 million in clean-up contracts, employs former Bush campaign manager and FEMA director Joe Allbaugh (search) to provide "general business consulting."

The Shaw Group's founder and CEO is J.M. Bernhard of Baton Rouge, Louisiana who is the chairman of the Louisiana Democratic Party and was co-chairman Governor Kathleen Blanco's transition committee, a fact left out of the Reuters story.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Halliburton_subsidiaries

Marco

Forum Member
Nov 29, 2003
If Halliburton would have run an honest operation instead of gouging the American taxpayer with inflated expenses and charging for services unperformed, then this article and others like it, whether from the liberal press or not, would cease to exist.

Halliburton got caught, plain and simple.

The only question left is how many more abuses are going to come to light given the weakness of a system that simply awards contracts without bidding, and has few audits or safeguards in place to limit abuse of the system...

This kind of $hit happens when the government hands out blank checks.

Frankly, I'd have jerked Haliburton after all the corruption uncovered in Iraq, make an example out of the c0cksuckers for the next company that wants to step in and steal.....they got off light just paying fines and keeping thier job.....

How many posters in here would keep thier job if they were caught stealing?

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

LUX

el hombre!
Forum Member
Dec 28, 2004
Marietta, GA
You know, I said fvck it, if ya can't beat 'em, join 'em, so I bought some Halliburten stock yesterday. Jim Cramer from Mad Money said on Thursday that now was a good time to buy since they would be cashing in on these hurricanes.

So, for the record, I am still anti-Bush because he is now anti-bush, but pro-Dr. Evil because he will hopefully be helping my stock go up. I feel like such a sell out. LOL!

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

smurphy

cartographer
Channel Member
Jul 31, 2004
L.A.
DOGS THAT BARK said:
Quite amusing the liberal press exploits against anything with word Haliburton in it.
What bothers you more - the "liberal" press talking about Haliburton or the criminal fraud committed by Haliburton?

Why does Haliburton even exist still? With their laundry list of illegal activities it's a crime against the American people and honest hard working companies that they still get to run wild.

Ohhh, but the worst injustice is the liberal media talking about them and trying to exploit their name for their agenda to destroy this great nation. Freedom of the press is far worse than the corporate rape of America.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

marine

poker brat
Forum Member
Jul 13, 1999
Fort Worth, TX
They include "indefinite delivery-indefinite quantity" contracts such as those involving Halliburton subsidiary Kellogg, Brown & Root Services Inc. of Arlington, Va., and San-Francisco-based Bechtel Corp. Both firms have strong ties to the Bush administration.

ID/IQ contracts are pretty standard these days in EVERY agency and acquisition. Don't let the big words scare you and be misinterpreted. It means that Halliburton must publish to the government a list of services and how much they cost... and then the gov't can come in anytime in the next 5 years or so and say "hey, we want x, y, and z.. and these here are the prices you gave us for them"

It's not some open season pass to dig into the cookie jar.

I swear, anytime some fvcking hippie journalist hears "Halliburton, KBR etc" and some sort of government award... oh jees.. look out! they must be up to no good!
Its a freaking DISASTER. WHy spend 3 more months competing contracts and getting business qual'd to do business with the gov't when you have a list of them ready to go already... seems like a no brainer.

marine

poker brat
Forum Member
Jul 13, 1999
Fort Worth, TX
http://www.washingtontechnology.com/news/1_1/daily_news/27004-1.html
FEMA moves forward with simplified procurements

By Alice Lipowicz
Staff Writer

Federal purchasing officers may spend up to $10 million in goods and services for Hurricane Katrina recovery using simplified procedures with limited competition, according to a new white paper issued by Acquisition Solutions Inc., a government acquisition services firm in Oakton, Va.

The threshold for such procurements under the Federal Acquisition Regulation has been raised to $10 million for Katrina-related relief, up from $5 million previously, the nine-page report states.

Acquisitions Solutions has been tapped by FEMA to help it manage the billions of dollars of spending expected to flow through the agency.

In addition, certain provisions related to federal procurements have been waived due to the emergency nature of the Katrina spending, including suspension of affirmative action and Equal Employment Opportunity clauses, as well as the Davis-Bacon Act requiring payment of prevailing local wages set by the Labor Department.

Those are just a few of the many emergency procurement procedures being used in the aftermath of Katrina as federal agencies prepare to spend more than $60 billion approved by Congress for disaster relief and recovery.

Federal procurements for Katrina are being handled on an emergency basis: President Bush has declared the disaster a national emergency, Congress has approved legislation for the emergency procurements, the Labor Department has relaxed federal contract compliance and the Office of Management and Budget has issued new guidance on micropurchases, those under $250,000.

Acquisition Solutions said it issued the white paper to assist the federal acquisition workforce in moving quickly and protecting the integrity of the contracts.

?Contracting in emergency situations can be challenging, but there are authorities that allow agencies to contract quickly and effectively with limited or no competition to meet critical needs effectively,? Acquisition Solutions said in the report.

The company is helping to draft contracts and providing technical advice and staff support to FEMA for the Katrina relief, the Washington Post reported Sept. 17. ?Acquisition Solutions does not discuss specific client engagements with the press,? the company said in a statement on its Web site.

Due to emergency and contingency declarations related to Hurricane Katrina recovery, federal procurement officials may use several emergency tools to help set up contracts quickly, including the ability to spend up to $15,000 without competition; the ability to spend $250,000 on government credit cards under certain conditions; and the ability to spend up to $10 million for commercial items and services under certain provisions of the FAR.

In addition, the Homeland Security Department has instructed its procurement offices that it is waiving all headquarters reviews required under the FAR and under the agency?s own acquisition regulation and manual. ?Heads of contracting activities have been delegated such approval authorities until further notice,? the white paper said.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

DOGS THAT BARK

Forum Member
Jul 13, 1999
Bowling Green Ky
"What bothers you more - the "liberal" press talking about Haliburton or the criminal fraud committed by Haliburton?

Why does Haliburton even exist still? With their laundry list of illegal activities it's a crime against the American people and honest hard working companies that they still get to run wild."

Why they still exist???-they are one of top 2 contractors in the world--and until there is ever 1/10 the evidence the liberel media alleges they will continue--

I find it ironic you blame this admin when they prosecuted the big boys of World com-Enron ect where corrupton ran unchecked in last admin.--as it turns out they'd been better off getting caught last admin--they could have skipped country a got a pardon for bout $200,000 each ;) and you speak of corruption???????

smurphy

cartographer
Channel Member
Jul 31, 2004
L.A.
I'm not blaming the administration - I'm asking you what bothers you more - freedom of the press or halliburton's fraud?

kosar

Centrist
Forum Member
Nov 27, 1999
ft myers, fl
DOGS THAT BARK said:
Why they still exist???-they are one of top 2 contractors in the world--and until there is ever 1/10 the evidence the liberel media alleges they will continue--

I agree with this. I'm a little tired of all the Halibutron stuff.

I find it ironic you blame this admin when they prosecuted the big boys of World com-Enron ect where corrupton ran unchecked in last admin.--as it turns out they'd been better off getting caught last admin--they could have skipped country a got a pardon for bout $200,000 each ;) and you speak of corruption???????

I 'find it ironic' that Marc Rich bothers you so much, considering he was a big player in the Iran-Contra fiasco. I would think that you would be lauding him as a hero! He was convicted of money laundering. Money from where? Oh. :rolleyes:

I've never seen you mention the criminal Iran-Contra situation, led by 'I know nothing about it' Reagan, but you've mentioned Marc Rich approximately 215 times on this forum alone and you've mentioned the Clintons not answering Whitewater questions to your satisfaction about 2113 times. Let's at least try to be consistent.

StevieD

Forum Member
Jun 18, 2002
Boston
Someone has to say it. I find that post by DTB to be very negative. It is not the press that is blaming Halliburton but it is the Military. The Corporate Press hides it as usual.

DOGS THAT BARK

Forum Member
Jul 13, 1999
Bowling Green Ky
I 'find it ironic' that Marc Rich bothers you so much, considering he was a big player in the Iran-Contra fiasco. I would think that you would be lauding him as a hero! He was convicted of money laundering. Money from where? Oh.

Be truthful Matt-- Do you really find it ironic that I would be against anyone pardoning a 10 most wanted felon for cash?

"I'm not blaming the administration - I'm asking you what bothers you more - freedom of the press or halliburton's fraud?"

To tell you the truth there is so much smoke overblown on Haliburton it is too time consuming to look into. I'll wait till they are indicted for something then look into it.--and on freedom of press-does that include--BS like contract connections above--forged documents-split quotes out of context--retractions buried on bacxk pages ect--I always assumed there was suppose to be an ethical side to journalism or freedom of the press as you call it.
Do you think we should broadcast Al-Jazeera to all countries under freedom of press despite their biased misleading reporting? There are freedoms and then there are abuses of freedoms.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

smurphy

cartographer
Channel Member
Jul 31, 2004
L.A.
Why do you care about Al-Jazeera? You act surprised that the media in the Islamic world would be biased against the West. Their media is a reflection of their attitude. So is ours. We are open and offer a multitude of viewpoints and sources. You don't like the liberal ones, so watch and listen to the conservative ones and give up all these tiresome rants. It really makes me think that you would prefer a supression of news and a silencing of our basic freedoms.

kosar

Centrist
Forum Member
Nov 27, 1999
ft myers, fl
smurphy said:
Why do you care about Al-Jazeera? You act surprised that the media in the Islamic world would be biased against the West. Their media is a reflection of their attitude. So is ours.

Exactly.