LSU -7

Cie

Registered
Forum Member
Apr 30, 2003
New Orleans
I expect LSU TEs to be a factor in this matchup.

Also of note is the recent form of Marcus Randall, who led LSU to a comeback win over Ole Miss. He followed that up by playing the best game of his career in breaking Arkansas' 17 game winning streak in Little Rock.

Still, the main angle I like here involves an oft-sacked Tate against Saban's sack-happy defensive unit led by Marcus Spears.

Also, watch out for the surging O line play of the Tigers. Since losing Rimmington Award winner, Ben Wilkerson, this unit has really come together.

Last edited:

Scott4USC

Fight On!
Forum Member
Sep 11, 2002
How come nobody brings up SPEED?

Doesn't LSU have much more team speed? Has Iowa faced a team with speed like LSU? To me, that is the biggest mismatch coming into this game and that was the primary reason I placed a bet on LSU.

I also think the SEC conf. is superior to the Big 10 conf. and Iowa did not fare to well in OOC play. Then again, LSU didn't either but they were never blown out.

Coaching is a wash. Both teams have excellent coaches and both teams played well and won in last years bowl games.

Iowa does not run the ball well and to beat a solid team you can't be one dimensional. Does not fare well for Iowa.

Here are the statistics I looked up when previously capped this game.

Statistically speaking both teams are ranked high on defense but LSU has advantage on the offensive side of the ball. I will also be playing UNDER 1st half in this game.

TOTAL OFFENSE

LSU #32
Iowa not ranked in top 100

SCORING OFFENSE

LSU #40
29 ppg

Iowa #73
24ppg

Total Defense

LSU #3
Iowa #10

Scoring Defense

LSU #11
16ppg

Iowa #17
17ppg

LSU holds advantage in every category, + they have more team speed + they played in a superior conference. LSU should win this game by double digits.

Last edited:

griffis

Forum Member
Nov 12, 2003
mexico
iowa 7 and arizona st. 45 i think was the score if arizona can roll over iowa lsu will too sec over the b10

ET4646

Forum Member
Aug 31, 2003
There it is again, this team beat that team so this team should roll. I wish it was that easy :142lmao:

redsfann

ale connoisseur
Forum Member
Aug 3, 1999
Somewhere in Corn Country
Iowa will have the services of the best RB on the roster for the game, Marcus Simmons.
He missed significant time due to an ankle injury, but was healthy enough to carry the ball 12 times in the season-ending win vs Wisconsin.
Only team to be able to run the ball on Iowa this season was the Gophers inside the dome where their one-dimensional zone blocking offense was/is the most effective and they still lost the game due to a key sack by the Hawkeyes late in the game.

Iowa stiffles the LSU running game and forces the QBs to beat us. Doesn't happen; 7 points is a gift and a taste of the ML is in order, too.

And its a nice bonus to see that Scott4USC is on the Tigers....

Cie Grant or nosigar--

You guys attending the game by chance? I'll buy you a beer so you can drown your sorrows in it...lol....:D

devilfan02

Forum Member
Sep 30, 2004
Tempe, AZ
Iowa ML. I saw first hand what we (ASU) did to Iowa, but since then they are a different team. I think the whole speed dimension is overrrated as we saw what Iowa did to Florida and what Ohio St. did to Miami (maybe the fastest team ever) a couple years ago. Iowa can stop the run as they play in the run oriented big ten and we all know LSU can't throw the ball. I think Ferentz and Saban are equals but I'll give the edge to Ferentz due to the Saban/Dolphins factor and how Ferentz has rebounded this year. I like Iowa to win in a low scoring/tight game. BTW, I hate Iowa and the Big Ten so I have ZERO interest in Iowa winning as a fan. Thought I'd throw that in there, if it matters to anyone

redsfann

ale connoisseur
Forum Member
Aug 3, 1999
Somewhere in Corn Country
In this mornings fishwrap.....

Iowa items
Walk-on Sam Brownlee likely will start at tailback in the Capital One Bowl, although coach Kirk Ferentz said Monday that junior Marques Simmons of Davenport will see plenty of time.
?Marques is full speed and doing well,? Ferentz said. ?We really haven?t talked yet about how we?ll split things up, but I imagine both of them will see time.?

Cie

Registered
Forum Member
Apr 30, 2003
New Orleans
Iowa stiffles the LSU running game and forces the QBs to beat us.

Unless there are severe offensive problems, only 1 QB will play.... Marcus Randall. His mobility should cause Iowa problems. Given the state of affairs around here concerning the Saban/Dolphins situation I bought back my LSU -6.5 play with Iowa +7. The over seems interesting as Iowa's D is overrated imo(I expect LSU to run the ball effectively) and LSU D may drag with Saban due to sign with Miami by Wednesday.

GL on your play and enjoy the game.

Cie :weed:

insider

Forum Member
Aug 30, 2000
Saban has now left for Miami.

With all the distractions and coaching change this is now longer a play. I bought back Iowa +7.

Bet on MyBookie