MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

hogman14

HBD Sports!
Forum Member
Nov 24, 2002
Franklin, MA
from yahoo.com
AP - Mar 2, 4:18 pm EST

CINCINNATI (AP) -- Marge Schott, the tough-talking, chain-smoking owner of the Cincinnati Reds who won a World Series but was repeatedly suspended for offensive remarks, died Tuesday, a hospital spokeswoman said. She was 75.

Schott was hospitalized about three weeks ago for breathing difficulties and repeatedly needed treatment for lung problems in recent years. Christ Hospital spokeswoman Dona Buckler did not release a cause of death.

Schott had reportedly been on a ventilator during her treatment in the hospital's intensive care unit.

Schott kept a low profile after she ended years of turmoil by selling her controlling interest in the club in October 1999. She appeared at news conferences when she made donations to the zoo and other local organizations.

She remained a limited partner in the team's ownership group and sued owner Carl Lindner because she didn't like her seats in the new Great American Ball Park, where the Reds moved in 2003.

The Reds had no immediate comment on her death.

At the team's spring training camp in Sarasota, Fla., Reds shortstop Barry Larkin said he hopes the controversies Schott was involved in don't overshadow the good things she did, including her money donations.

``I think people are remembered for the good things they do when they're gone,'' said Larkin, who has played for the Reds since 1986. ``Now that she's gone they will remember the parties she had to raise money for kids, her involvement with the zoo, her giving to minority programs. She gave to minority programs before her racist comments came out.

``People ask me all the time about her racist comments. They ask me how I could talk to her,'' said Larkin, who is black. ``But I had a good relationship with her. I just go on personal experience. She was always respectful to me and my family.''

Schott's outspokenness as owner became her legacy and her downfall.

Schott had inherited and expanded her husband's business empire after he died in 1968. Until she took over the Reds in the mid-1980s, she was known as a car dealer who made campy television commercials featuring her beloved St. Bernards.

Once she got control of the front office, she became one of the most prominent figures in the history of baseball's first professional team.

The Reds won the 1990 World Series, sweeping the Oakland A's while Schott rubbed dog hair on manager Lou Piniella and his players.

Two years later, her use of racial slurs created a national controversy that overshadowed the club for nearly a decade. Baseball officials ordered her to watch her comments, but she continued to publicly praise Hitler -- saying he was ``good at the beginning'' but then ``went too far'' -- and make disparaging remarks about ethnic groups.

In May 1996, after hours of consultations with baseball officials, Schott released a statement saying she was sorry her remarks offended people.

``This was not my intent at all,'' she said. ``Let me take this opportunity to set the record straight. I do not and have never condoned Adolf Hitler's policies of hatred, militarism and genocide. Hitler was unquestionably one of history's most despicable tyrants.''

With the team's limited owners ready to vote her out as the controlling partner, she sold all but one of her shares to Lindner in 1999 for $67 million.

As she left the spotlight, Schott blamed the other owners for her fate.

``I don't know what I would have done differently, except for stood up and fought with the boys a little more,'' she said, shortly after the sale was complete.

Growing up in Cincinnati, Schott attended a Catholic girls' school and the University of Cincinnati.

She married Charles J. Schott in 1952 at age 21. When her husband died in 1968 at age 41, she was left with a car dealership, real estate and companies that made bricks and concrete.

Schott bought another car dealership, a garbage dump, cattle and race horses as a prelude to buying the Reds in 1984.

From the moment she bought control, Schott made it clear her tenure would be unconventional. She walked into Riverfront Stadium to announce the sale with her dog Schottzie on a leash. Schott knew little about baseball, but had become its most prominent woman.

She made her first controversial remark at her first news conference, suggesting that women shouldn't be allowed to run a business because they're too emotional. Schott also promised she would stay out of the baseball operations because she didn't know much about it.

Before long, she was involved in every aspect of the team. She moved her office to the stadium, required her personal approval for any purchase of $50 or more and allowed her dogs to have the run of the place.

She also started making baseball decisions, even though she didn't know the players' names. She settled one contract dispute by flipping a coin.

``I was very much hands-on. I did try and bring some good players in and everything,'' she said.

She allowed player-manager Pete Rose to grab the headlines through 1989, when he accepted a lifetime ban for gambling. Once he left, she became front-and-center.

Piniella arrived as manager and Bob Quinn became the general manager before the 1990 season, which marked a new phase in Schott's ownership. She became the team's most visible figure as it led wire-to-wire and won the World Series.

While the team won, the organization crumbled. She scrimped on the farm system and scouting, eliminated fan promotions and did away with the marketing that made the Reds a regional draw.

In 1992, the turbulence began. She fired Quinn and drove Piniella away, then went through five managers in six years.

With the shrunken farm system no longer producing, the Reds had to bring in free agents to remain competitive. They had the second-biggest payroll in the National League when they made the playoffs in 1995, then slashing payroll and struggled on the field.

They also started struggling at the gate as Schott's offensive language made headlines. Attendance began falling after 1993, when she was suspended the first time for her remarks.

Schott's troubles multiplied in 1996, when she demanded a new ballpark but refused to campaign for the tax increase that provided funding. She expressed disappointment that opening day was postponed because umpire John McSherry died, eliminated out-of-town score updates to save money, and made more disparaging remarks.

The other owners gave her an ultimatum: Step down or accept another suspension. John Allen took over as managing executive in 1996 and has continued to run the team under Lindner.

She spent the last few years living on her suburban Indian Hill estate and donating money to various causes. She never remarried after her husband died.

Schott had no children. She is survived by four sisters.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

djv

Forum Member
Nov 4, 2000
Pete Rose may miss her. Im not sure who else.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

bjfinste

Forum Member
Mar 14, 2001
AZ
Re: Marge Schott, controversial Reds owner, dies

hogman14 said:
They also started struggling at the gate as Schott's offensive language made headlines. Attendance began falling after 1993, when she was suspended the first time for her remarks.

While I'm sure Marge didn't help, I would think the 1994 strike had something to do with this as well.

Eddie Haskell

Matt 02-12-11
Forum Member
Feb 13, 2001
Cincinnati
aclu.org
I really will miss her. A true, blue (red) Cincinnatian. How will the world survive without her. Kind, good natured, always ready to sign an autograph for some bucktoothed, 10 year old boy in a Johnny Bench tee shirt with a mit on his hand and wearing a Reds cap walking down to her seat before, during and after Reds victory at Riverfront Stadium with "Celebrate" playing on the PA system.

Ah fond memories. Now for the reality. She was a drunk, bigot who married into a ton of money which was totally earned by her late husband and who single handedly dismantled one of the better farm systems in MLB for the purpose on giving her one championship in 1990. Her front office staff hated her guts as she was an emotional trainwreck and wouldn't pay them a dime as she felt working for the Reds was a priviledge not a job and/or career.

She consistently embarrased herself, major league baseball, Cincinnati, the Reds and their fans. She called Eric Davis her "three million dollar nigger", said Hitler started off okay, and on the PA at Riverfront Stadium during one of the games during the 1990 world series national television referred to the soldiers fighting in the gulf war as "...our boys in the far east." One year, she was voted Cincinnati women of the year. This is a woman who inherited her husbands $100 million and turned it into $50 million.

Yeah, I'll miss that crusted face, smoking hillbilly from Western Hills about as much as I would miss Dr. Freeze and Dogs That Bark if they stopped posting here. Speaking of those two bigots and others like them, Mrs. Schott doesn't sound all that bad, huh. Kinda like grandma. A true blue (red) American. More scum the world is better off that she is dead. Oh yeah, and take Pete Rose with you as those two morons are peas in a pod.

However, I already contacted the Reds ticket office to inquire about her seats.

Ed

THE KOD

Registered
Forum Member
Nov 16, 2001
Victory Lane
Eddie

geez why don't you tell us about how you relly feel about
Marge. And her seats are still warm yu ticket monger.

I would imagine a long line to spit on her grave.

she was classless.

KOD

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

dawgball

Forum Member
Feb 12, 2000
I always thought that she was an accurate representation of Cincy.:shrug:

IntenseOperator

DeweyOxburger
Forum Member
Sep 16, 2003
Chicago
I loved when she use to let her dog (Shotsy?) take massive dumps on the playing field before games. Hate to be the guy that had to clear that up, probably for chump change.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

bjfinste

Forum Member
Mar 14, 2001
AZ
IO- that's my biggest memory of her, hearing the stories of her dogs shitting on the field and not caring the slighest bit. Like you said, I bet it was just a joy to be a stadium employee working for them during those times.

ctownguy

Life is Good
Forum Member
Jul 27, 2000
SoCal
You know haskell, I hope you do go to a Madjack party some time, I'd love to see you call someone a bigot to their face and then watch them kick the shi* out of you.

Typical left wing ass**le that is such a joke it's hard to take anything you say seriously. The clown from cincy, what a joke :thefinger

bjfinste

Forum Member
Mar 14, 2001
AZ
ctownguy said:
You know haskell, I hope you do go to a Madjack party some time, I'd love to see you call someone a bigot to their face and then watch them kick the shi* out of you.

Typical left wing ass**le that is such a joke it's hard to take anything you say seriously. The clown from cincy, what a joke :thefinger

Typical right-wing hick. Someone says something you disagree with and all you can think about is wanting to "kick the shit" out of him. Sounds like most of the people I went to high school with. Not exactly the brightest bulbs on the tree....

Do you really think Marge wasn't a bigot? Or was it the Freeze/DTB reference that has your blood boiling?

ctownguy

Life is Good
Forum Member
Jul 27, 2000
SoCal
Oh it's nice to know you condone name calling here bj.

and to set the record straight, I never once referred to what he said about schott or her actions, but who is the classless assho*e here when haskell is calling people here bigots because HE DOESN'T AGREE WITH THEIR VIEWS.:nono:

You should look in your own backyard, pal

bjfinste

Forum Member
Mar 14, 2001
AZ
And also, Mr. Haskell was just calling them names (par for the course for an internet forum). You, on the other hand, were wishing for actual, physical violence against a person you've never met simply because of some posts on an internet message board.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

ctownguy

Life is Good
Forum Member
Jul 27, 2000
SoCal
How do I know you are a left wing wacko also:shrug: mr haskell, what a joke, join the clowns bj

maybe you and mr haskell could be golf partners at the next get together, that's before any physical harm is done of course.

It always kills me that the liberals are supposed to be so tolerant and believe all people should be heard and respected and then lo and behold they are the first ones to start the name calling etc and then try to turn it around and rewrite what was said or rewrite history to match their lies and policies.

you 2 were made for each other, chump:eek:

bjfinste

Forum Member
Mar 14, 2001
AZ
And to think I had your back in all of those OSU/Michigan debates in the fall...

I'm not sure what I tried to "rewrite." I simply pointed out that on one side there was some harmless name-calling (which was, by the way, in reference to a long-running difference in opinions between the parties involved), and on the other there was the threat of violence (which was once again implied in your last post). I'm no shrink by any means, but you seem to have some issues with aggression. I mean, if you get so upset over an anonymous internet message board posting, how do you respond if, heaven forbid, someone cuts you off in traffic? Try to just chill a little.

And for the record, I'd be honored to shoot a round of golf with Eddie.