MATCHUPS:
Winston Cup/Week: 3-3 -0.9
Overall Year: 23-18 +27.32 units

Total for the week: +55.60 units
Yearly Combined: +87.32 Units

Now let's get to this week's race.

Race 13 out of 36
at Dover International Speeday - 1 mile Oval - 400 laps for 400 miles

This Week's Schedule: (All times Eastern)
Friday, May 31st
10:05 a.m. Winston Cup 1st Practice
1:35 p.m. Winston Cup Bud Pole Qualifying

Saturday, June 1st
9:30 a.m. Winston Cup 2nd Practice
11:15 a.m. Winston Cup Happy Hour Practice

Sunday, June 2nd
1 p.m. Start of the MBNA Platinum 400

NOTE:
This is a full weekend at Dover with both the Trucks and Busch series racing as well, so will all those practice sessions and qualifying, the times above may change.

It's time to head to "The Monster Mile", where I will be hard pressed to repeat last week's success. There are basically only 5 drivers/teams that should win this upcoming race meaning that value won't be easy to find. I will most likely be quite cautious, as this track can be very dangerous in terms of tight racing conditions and probably the toughest pit road entrance in the circuit. Nevertheless, let's take a look at the contenders, and you'll notice that I included a few guys that rarely get a mention.

The early drivers to watch:
2 R. Wallace -
It's not Pocono yet Rusty. Keep waiting.
6 M. Martin -
After last week's tremendous effort, it won't be easy to win another so soon. However, Martin has had great success here, and should be an easy top 10. Seen 12-1 out there, so I'm really debating this one.
8 D. Earnhardt, Jr. -
Another really tough race for Dale, Jr. Even though he's as up and down as they come and quite difficult to gauge, I'm not going out on a limb by saying that this should be an "up" week. A serious threat to win this race, but odds in the range of 5-7 to 1, it seems too risky to include him with all the bad luck that surrounds him at this time.
10 J. Nadeau -
Very rarely do I spend any time talking about this team or driver, however, there are some things to look at this week. Nadeau, still subbing for the injured Johnny Benson, had a very nice 2nd place run in the 25 car in last year's fall race. That combined with a nice run this 10 team threw up in the fall race of 2000, and I'll take a look at 'em. We are talking nothing less than 50-1 here, but I'll be watching this team.
12 R. Newman -
Everyone pretty much knew it would happen, and it did. I don't know if it's Ryan abusing these engines so much, but this is pretty ridiculous. Then again, Mayfield blew up a lot also. Hey Roger.....nice win at Indy, but can you help out a little more in the engine department of your 12 team please? I would be very surprised to see this car in the top 10 at the end of the day, however, he will (again!) be a threat for the pole.
17 M. Kenseth -
Same 'ole for this team........consistency and more consistency. Kenseth had a great start to his career at Dover, but he took a step back last year with finishes of 29th and 16th. He's one of my top 5 guys to win this race, as 2002 is obvioulsy very different than 2001 for this entire team. BTW, this pit crew is responsible for at least 70% of this team's success this year. Those guys are just unreal.
18 B. Labonte -
More problems for this team last week. Luckily, I wagered him against a team (88) that is having more problems than he is right now. Labonte used to be a lock top 5 at Dover, but it's not easy to back this team right now. 15-1 is interesting and demands a look, but we'll have to see. 20-1 and he's a bet.
20 T. Stewart -
Here is "Mr. Dover Downs". He has absolutely owned this track like no other since he hit Winston Cup in 1999. He'll be tough to leave out even at 9-2 or 5-1 odds.
24 J. Gordon -
Is this the week? Is it? Okay...let me play the recording: "Gordon and his team are too good not to win a race soon. He's had great success at (insert track here), so don't be surprised to finally see him in victory lane again." Copy and paste that for next week's write-up. This team is among the 5 that can win however.
25 J. Nemechek -
"Front Row" Joe interests me the most out of any longshot/total darkhorse candidate. Three staight top 10 finsished in the 33 car at Dover. This team is in disarray however, so it's another one of those 40-1 or nothing guys.
28 R. Rudd -
Here is my pick for this race. Hands down, he offers the best value out there. After I'm finished with this write-up, I will play him. He will qualify in the top 10, so I'll take the price now. He combines solid finishes at Dover with great form, so he will win a race very soon. This is as good a track as any for him to win at.
32 R. Craven -
Another guy out there we have to look at price wise. This team is running much better this year than they have in a long time, and Craven kind of likes these types of tracks. 40-1 would be very interesting.
40 S. Marlin -
Sterling came out of nowhere last year to post finishes of 8th and 6th at Dover. I see him continuing what he is doing right now, and being happy with his top 10.
48 J. Johnson -
Wow! What a car this kid had last week! But that's what a little mistake at this level can cost you. I honestly have no idea what Jimmy and this team can accomplish here. His Busch finishes were mediocre (as his Busch career was overall), so there is no indication there. Any finish, whether it be a top 5 or top 30, will not surprise me.
88 D. Jarrett -
More problems last week for the 88 team. They worked their way up to 12th at one point with a car that Parrott said was changed every way possible during the race. A lot of great finishes at Dover for Jarrett, but with all these chassis issues they are having, I just can't include him unless I hear/read something positive.
97 K. Busch -
One more great run by this kid last week, but he comes to a track that ate him up last year. I don't expect him to contend for the win, but I do expect him to drasctically improve on this 41st and 39th place finishes in 2000.
99 J. Burton -
I was way off on this team/car last week. A complete no show. This team now heads to a track that has given them a lot of problems over the last 4 races. I just don't see that improving this week.

Wrapping up, it's all about the 28 and the 20 for me, along with possibly including some value longshots.

Any input and opinions?
GLTA

Huckleberry

Forum Member
Mar 2, 2002
Nevada
I noticed that I didn't even post the price I got on the 28 car....Nice effort there. Therefore the edit.

I have, however, jumped off the fence and had to get some 6 car. That d#$m article on nascar.com put me over the edge. I hate when I read those things when I'm so indecisive. Anyhow, +1500 is the wrong price IMO, so a play HAD to be made. ;)

ODDS TO WIN:
28 R. Rudd +1200 2.5 units
6 M. Martin +1500 1.5 units

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Huckleberry

Forum Member
Mar 2, 2002
Nevada
Hope you don't mind Myron......

Hope you don't mind Myron......

But I copied your post on this week's race in this thread in case people don't go back to last week's thread.

Myron

Next race is Dover. Based on past results it looks like a 3 car race between 20,24 and 8. Possible outsiders are 40, 6, 28 and 2.

Personally I really like the 8 car here. He dominated the last 2 races at Dover and his car has been awesome all year. If he can avoid the accidents I think Jr. should win the race.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

05-29-2002 10:23 AM

USC Gamecock

Forum Member
Dec 5, 2000
Williams-Brice
Huckleberry,

I just wanted to let you know I enjoy your NASCAR write ups. I went to my first race in 1995 (Darlington) and have been hooked ever since.

Unfortunately I played the 17 car last week at 12-1 and the 24 at 7-1. I truly believe had it been any other car in front of the 17 last week, that I would have been a lot happier. (except for the 48, that car was awesome). To top it off, I had to watch the race with my girlfriend's dad who is a huge Mark Martin fan. I told him (after reading your posts last week before the race) that you thought Mark had a shot at winning and he was all fired up. After the race he said you gained instant credibility with him.

Last edited:

grinin

Forum Member
Apr 23, 2002
Finish position props
1* J.Spencer 17th-43rd -120
1* R.Gordon 23rd-43rd -110

Qualifying Matchups:
1.5* R Craven -125 ov J Mayfield
1* Ken Schrader +160 ov Dave Blaney/John Andretti
1.5* MICHAEL WALTRIP -115 ov MATT KENSETH
1* KEN SCHRADER -110 ov DAVE BLANEY

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Huckleberry

Forum Member
Mar 2, 2002
Nevada
Hey GRININ....

Hey GRININ....

Are those "finishing" props qualifying wagers or race wagers?
I like 'em a lot if they are race wagers.

Huckleberry

Forum Member
Mar 2, 2002
Nevada
Let's take a shot.

Newman won the pole in the Busch series here last fall, and has been fast for ONE/TWO laps all year.

In addition, this team (w/ Mayfield) has gotten around this track real well in qualifying trim in the past (7th, [24th but it was set on pts due to rain and was 2nd fastest in practice BEFORE qualifying], 1st, 5th, 4th, and 9th) 6 races. Let's give it a whirl.

ODDS TO WIN THE POLE:
12 R. Newman +1000 1 unit

Huckleberry

Forum Member
Mar 2, 2002
Nevada
USC Gamecocks........

USC Gamecocks........

Thanks man. I'm glad you enjoy the write-ups, as I really enjoy putting them together.

I, like you, have been a "true" NASCAR fan for only the last few years (ever since #3 winning the Daytona 500), but have followed it for over 15 years. And once I get serious about a sport, I really want to know everything there is, especially the history of it.

My "FIRST"...lol!......true memory comes from Dale Jarrett winning the '93 Daytona 500 ( I'm just a HUGE Washington Redskin fan and think Joe Gibbs is a freakin' GENIUS), which was Joe Gibbs' 2nd year owning a team after he left the NFL.

Ever since I watched in on and off, but got really hooked about 4 years ago. And to be perfectly honest, it's that much MORE fun being able to wager on it. :D

Contribute as much as you can with any insight you may have. This forum is LOADED w/ awesome guys who really follow, not only this series, but all "open wheel" too. Great place to PAD that bankroll! ;)

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Huckleberry

Forum Member
Mar 2, 2002
Nevada
OH! By the way......I don't know if there is anything worse (okay, maybe there are a few things) than watching a NASCAR race w/ a HUGE fan of one particular driver that either you don't like that much, or that you don't have a bet on to win the race.

I can just imagine your "future" father in-law glowing once "his boy" won the race last week. :) That's too funny.

Also, if you talk to him this week, tell him I like #6 again. I'm sure to lose any credibility I may have gained last week. :shrug:

USC Gamecock

Forum Member
Dec 5, 2000
Williams-Brice
Huckleberry,

Here's a true story for you since you're a Joe Gibbs man. One year at Darlington (1995 I think) we were driving out of the infield with about 30 laps to go (too drunk and sunburnt to stay) and as we approached the tunnel that runs under the track we see some guy jump in fron of our car and flag us down.

When we stop to see who it is, it's none other than Coach Gibbs. We stopped the Ford Explorer and rolled down the windows (by the way, my friend driving is also a HUGE skins fan from Virginia) Coach Gibbs asks us if we would be willing to give him a ride to his car that's parked down the road. We were all stunned. My first thought was "why does a team owner have to park down the road." Anyway, we were like sure, get on in.

So Coach Gibbs jumps in the back with me and my two friends. I've got a beer in my hand and about three at my feet for the ride home, I'm also pretty damn drunk at this point...and here I am...with Coach Gibbs (who is a huge Christian as you know) sitting right next to me. For the first few minutes there was an extremly awkward silence and then my friend in the front seat busts out with "Coach, I've been a huge skins fan my whole life, and you're the man." Coach Gibbs was very humble and said his thanks, anyway, the whole time I know he's thinking "what have I gotten myself into?"

We had small talk until we got to his car and then he said "here's my personal secretary's number, call her and I'll send you guys something nice for giving me a ride." Here I am thinking pit passes, garage passes, tickets to Daytona, etc.

We called his girl, and about two weeks later a package arrives in the mail. We bust it open with the highest of expectations, and low and behold, what does Coach Gibbs send us....

autographed Christian Video tapes entitled something like "Where I get my strength...by Joe Gibbs." The enscription read "Thanks for the ride...Joe Gibbs." Don't get me wrong, it was a nice thought and everything, but It wasn't what I was expecting.

I'm glad I had four other witnesses with me, because nobody would have believed my had I been by myself.

Huckleberry

Forum Member
Mar 2, 2002
Nevada
Wow!

Wow!

Now that's a GREAT STORY!!! :lol: Not sure I like the ending to it though. Christian videotapes? :( How about a JGR calendar or something? Great though......I was cracking up reading it!

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

djv

Forum Member
Nov 4, 2000
You guys are all running on hi octane. Got be laughing hard enough to bust my balls. :D :D
As for the race much good info here. I to like the chances of 8, 20,28. Neuman the 12 car has me worried. He seems to over drive at times and that is helping those motors blow. He has 4 for the year. Guys that's just way above average. I hate to say it but look out for Robby Gordon this week. He is due to get some luck. His equipment is good enough for some top 5's. i don't like him to win. But im not going to go against him in any match up's this week. As for bad luck. If Parks is still in the 1 car this week. Im going to start going against him, if I can find some matches ups. He is just haveing tough time.

sandwedge

Forum Member
Mar 14, 2001
great story about gibbs. his son just had a good finish in the truck race (6th or so). i agree about park, it's too bad but he has just not raced well since coming back from his injury (with the exception of his first start back, until he was nailed by a lap car). rumor has it that he is gone from dei after this year and sadler gets his ride.

matt kenseth has been competitive all year starting in the back of the pack, he could be double tough starting from the pole. of course now he has to deal with the "pole-position curse".

good luck on this weekends races to everyone.

Huckleberry

Forum Member
Mar 2, 2002
Nevada
Interesting set of practices today.....

Interesting set of practices today.....

All of a sudden, Ricky Rudd is on the Pole and Gordon is lining up 3rd. Kenseth switched engines, Nadeau (who had the fastest car overall) wrecked, and Busch had to also go to a backup car.

Kenseth is still good, but he's going to have to go back to what he was before qualifying to make him worth a play IMO....around +1500.

Be back later with all the races plays.

djv

Forum Member
Nov 4, 2000
I thought that's what I heard on the tube. Nadeau, wrecking is to bad. Was hopeing to catch a match up useing him. Don't like these cars when forced to start in back. Some tracks it don't matter. But these smaller tracks makes it harder to charge to the front. Just not as much room to do it.

sandwedge

Forum Member
Mar 14, 2001
i'm not going to hold my breath waiting for the books to adjust kenseth's odds upward.

i saw nadeau, kenseth and newman have to go to the rear but missed busch, what happened to him?

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Myron

Forum Member
Oct 14, 2001
Hamilton, Ontario
Busch wrecked on lap 2 of qualifying. Kenseth is already higher at books but not by much.

IMO the drivers to beat now are 28 and 6.

Huckleberry

Forum Member
Mar 2, 2002
Nevada
I HOPE you are right MYRON.....

I HOPE you are right MYRON.....

Please let it be a fight between 28 and 6. That would make my day/week/month/quarter.........They both have to cars to be there. But in case anyone watched the Busch Series today, the 27 of McMurray was running 3rd with 40 to go ( and had a great car all day) before he blew a tire and slammed the wall taking him out.

Luck is at least 60% of it in this game. Let's just hope that "lady" is knocking at my/our door tomorrow.

I've made matchup plays rececently, as these prices have me baffled.

Plays are being made as I write......just wanted to let you guys know in case there is interest.

MATCHUPS:
20 Stewart ov 12 Newman -130 5 units (This is just ridiculous IMO)
17 Kenseth ov 28 Rudd +150 3 units (While I really like Rudd, this price is simply WAY off IMO)
6 Martin ov 17 Kenseth +110 5 units (I know this looks like trouble, but now way should the 6 be + money...no way.)
20 Stewart ov 24 Gordon +126 3 units ( Another matchup that is at least 20 cents off)