NAVY PLAY BIG

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

socrstud

Forum Member
Nov 16, 2005
THIS IS MY LARGEST PLAY OF THE BOWLS!!!!

THIS IS WHAT I TOOK:

NAVY -2 BIG....$1000 to win $909 CSU RUN DEFFENSE IS 105 and NAVY RUN OFFENSE IS ranked #1....

GLA

gjn23

Forum Member
Mar 20, 2002
So. Cal
good luck

i'll be there with the future father-in-law who played with staubauch back in the 60's at Navy......thus i'll be on the same side as you.....however, i dont have the same confidence as you.

socrstud

Forum Member
Nov 16, 2005
U TOO gjn....Damn that's crazy, I'dd be kinda nevous, I'm sure he'll have some great stories.....I'm sure there are going to be a lotta fans to support you on Navy side there.... I don't know why but I think CSU's deffense is terrible but we will see, have fun man

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

gjn23

Forum Member
Mar 20, 2002
So. Cal
yes...there will be a ton of navy fans there....the ex navy player tailgate begins at 1:30......6 hours before the game......30 beers later this may end up as one of my bigger plays as well :)

navy will run on csu....will navy stop csu????

socrstud

Forum Member
Nov 16, 2005
Depends on what you think of Holland....I think he's pretty good when he's on....but Navy's secondary is pretty good, and WILL DEF KEY ON THEIR BIG STUD WIDE OUT! that's how I look at it......Plus if CSU becomes 1 dimensional Holland will get sacked and lose confidence which is zackly what happend when they played TCU

GL

IE

Administrator
Forum Admin
Forum Member
Mar 15, 1999
have no play either way and may everyone's bets be winners......

interesting take as of yesterday at pinnacle from simon......of course things could change dramatically with a outlet such as theirs

:

Navy (-2.5) vs. Colorado St. (San Diego County Credit Union Poinsettia Bowl)

Navy enters this game with the nation?s #1 rushing offense, averaging 305.9 yards per game. Colorado St., on the other hand, allows over 200 rushing yards per game. Despite the amount of rushing, Navy games tend to be high scoring averaging 55 points per game. The Rams offense is just the opposite ? it relies on a pass-heavy attack led by QB Justin Holland. In 2005 he completed over 62% of his passes for 2,804 yards, and had a 143 passer rating.

When comparing stats between teams, you should be acutely aware of the strength of schedule for each team. According to Sagarin ratings, Colorado State?s strength of schedule was the 58th most difficult among Div I-A schools, compared to Navy?s rating of 102nd. This strongly suggests one should adjust Navy?s stats downward when analyzing this game.

We occasionally have a ?sharp vs. public? game and this is one of them. The wise guys are solidly on Colorado St. The public is favoring the Midshipmen by a 3:1 ratio. Despite the public backing, we are relatively flat due to the larger average bet-size of the sharps.

http://madjacksports.com/forum/showthread.php?t=219564

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

socrstud

Forum Member
Nov 16, 2005
Interesting read.....But this is how I look at it....I think MWEST is way over rated(this is only my opinion)......I've put a lot of thought in this one as well as research, but that doesn't mean jack when it comes to who shows up to play and who doesn't....

Whatever the case, this is how I look at it 100% and I have it down pretty simplisticly:

This game is Navy against Justin Holland-----and that's it....I think CSU has a decent RB but they don't use him enough and won't in this one as well like usual.......And, I think in a FIGHT out in CALI with fans rooting NAVY, NAVY would kick the SHI OUT of JUSTIN HOLLAND.....

BUT THAT'S JUST ME

Last edited:

gjn23

Forum Member
Mar 20, 2002
So. Cal
im just not sold on navy like you....i totally agree with the schedule strength angle. the jump in class angle and the regression of navy's numbers due to this....factor in the speed and athleticism and csu probably is the play.

not sure why you denegrate the mwc....it's not that bad.....if nave were in this conference im not sure they finish in the top 3

IE

Administrator
Forum Admin
Forum Member
Mar 15, 1999
anything i can dig will post good luck in the game....

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

IE

Administrator
Forum Admin
Forum Member
Mar 15, 1999
Football: Poinsettia Bowl perks are pouring in for Mids
By BILL WAGNER, Staff Writer
SAN DIEGO -- Christmas came early for members of the Navy football team.

During a lavish welcome party at the Manchester Grand Hyatt, all 103 players that traveled to San Diego were given large gift bags by organizers of the Poinsettia Bowl.

Like young children on Christmas morning, the Midshipmen tore into the packages to discover all sorts of goodies designed to commemorate the inaugural game.

Sophomore slot back Reggie Campbell smiled broadly as he pulled out a hooded sweatshirt, baseball cap and T-shirt that each sported the Poinsettia Bowl logo.

"It's pretty sweet. I couldn't believe how much stuff we got," he said.

Senior tackle Marshall Green wasn't surprised when he discovered a blue-faced Fossil watch. Navy players received watches from organizers of the Houston Bowl and Emerald Bowl as well.

"I've got more bowl watches than

I have wrists to put them on," joked Green. "I'd have to say this one is a little nicer than the others."

By far the most expensive present in the bag was an Apple iPod Mini along with a memory card capable of downloading 1,000 tunes.

"This is probably my favorite of all the bowls we've been to as far as the gifts go," junior linebacker Rob Caldwell said. "To get an iPod, that's pretty awesome. Those things cost a couple hundred dollars."

Those Mids who already owned an MP3 player had friends and relatives clamoring for the giveaway. Senior quarterback Lamar Owens gave his 17-year-old sister the iPod while Green's is going to his fiancee.

NCAA rules limit bowl games to gift packages worth no more than $500. Bruce Binkowski, executive director of the Poinsettia Bowl, said Navy and Colorado State players received $350 worth of goods.

Binkowski admitted he's too old to know about iPods and admitted the idea came from hip, young staffers.

"We have some employees in the office in their mid-20s and we basically use them as a test audience for what gifts to give," Binkowski said. "We ask them, 'If you were a football player, what would you want?' This year, the iPod is the latest and greatest in terms of electronic gadgets."

As if all that weren't enough, Navy's athletic department gave the players a separate gift bag of Poinsettia Bowl memorabilia. A Nike rain suit, Nike running shoes, and a Dry-Fit short sleeve shirt were stuffed into spacious duffel bags.

In addition, the Mids are getting their game jerseys as keepsakes and will receive bowl rings during the postseason awards party.

Most of the Navy players were wearing or carrying at least one of the gift items during the team outing at SeaWorld yesterday afternoon.

For the seniors, the latest gear gets added to a closet already filled with Houston Bowl sweat suits and Emerald Bowl leather jackets.

"We've collected a lot of cool stuff after three straight bowl games," Caldwell admitted.

IE

Administrator
Forum Admin
Forum Member
Mar 15, 1999
Navy has homefield advantage in Poinsettia Bowl

Midshipmen hold pep rally aboard USS Peleliu in harbor

SAN DIEGO // There's no question which team should have homefield advantage for the Poinsettia Bowl -- Navy, by a nautical mile over Colorado State.

The Midshipmen had the run of the harbor on Wednesday, which only seemed natural, including a pep rally aboard the amphibious assault ship USS Peleliu.

On Thursday night at Qualcomm Stadium, they'll have a cheering section of some 20,000 for the inaugural game.

Those are the perks of playing in San Diego, the West Coast's largest Navy port.

"It's great to have your fans there and hopefully we can feed off their emotion, but once it's kicked off and you get hit in the mouth, you forget how many people are watching," coach Paul Johnson said Wednesday during a news conference aboard the USS Midway, a storied aircraft carrier that's now a museum.

"I think it's really more a tribute to what the Naval Academy's all about. We're fortunate here in San Diego that we have some military bases and a lot of people are stationed in the area, and hopefully they're proud of what's going on at the academy. We'll have a good level of support, I'm sure. Will it make any difference in the game? I hope so, but I don't know."

Navy (7-4) is playing in its third straight bowl game, a first for the academy.

Colorado State coach Sonny Lubick isn't sure how the Rams (6-5) will respond.

"Sometimes we play better under those circumstances, on the road with a hostile crowd," Lubick said. "I don't know if that will work this time."

The real worry for the Rams will be the Navy's option offense. The Midshipmen are ranked No. 1 in the nation in rushing offense at 305.2 yards per game. Navy gained a school-record 5.6 yards per carry this season.

Quarterback Lamar Owens leads the three-pronged attack with 830 yards and 11 touchdowns on 195 carries, and fullback Adam Ballard has 539 yards and six TDs on 94 carries. Ballard took over for injured fullback Matt Hall three weeks before Navy's 42-23 win over Army on Dec. 3.

"They're going to present a lot of challenges to us," said Lubick, whose defense allowed an average of 200.6 rushing yards per game. "I hope we can get the ball back once in a while during the course of the game. Nobody runs it was well or better than the Naval Academy. They do a great job with it."

Navy ran wild against Army, with Ballard gaining 192 of the Midshipmen's 490 yards rushing, with two touchdowns. Owens added 99 yards rushing and three TDs.

Likewise, the Rams could be a challenge to Navy. Johnson thinks his undersized defensive line could have a hard time with Colorado State running back Kyle Bell, who ran for 1,166 yards and nine touchdowns this year. Rams quarterback Justin Holland completed 62.2 percent of his passes in throwing for 2,804 yards and 20 TDs.

Navy opened the season with three-point losses to Maryland and Stanford before winning seven of its last nine.

Navy has just 18 seniors, and Johnson credited them with not letting the season slip away.

"They decided on their watch, they weren't going to let the program slide back," he said.

The Poinsettia Bowl is sponsored by the San Diego County Credit Union.

IE

Administrator
Forum Admin
Forum Member
Mar 15, 1999
Rams must stuff fullback
Midshipmen's triple option is spearheaded by Ballard

SAN DIEGO - Colorado State University's pre-Christmas wish list is short and simple. All the Rams really want is to stop Navy fullback Adam Ballard from ruining the holidays.

It doesn't sound like much, but there's no doubt that CSU's chances to win Thursday night's Poinsettia Bowl will be greatly enhanced if they can stop option No. 1 - Ballard - in Navy's triple-option offense.

ADVERTISEMENT

"I've been saying it every day since we found out we were playing Navy - we've got to stop the fullback," Rams defensive coordinator Steve Stanard said. "That has not changed."

That's not to say that Ballard is Navy's only threat - far from it. The Midshipmen are more than willing to explore all three running options in their offense, starting with Ballard up the middle, runs by shifty quarterback Lamar Owens or pitches to a fleet of speedy slotbacks. And if all else fails, the Mids will even throw the ball if opposing teams spend too much energy stopping the run.

"Navy is a team that preys on a team's lack of discipline," CSU sophomore defensive end Jesse Nading said. "That's why it is so important for everyone to take care of their own assignment. You can't try to play everything; you've got to take care of your own responsibility and trust that the guy next to you is taking care of his. You can't try to be a hero against these guys."

Still, everyone in CSU's camp agrees that stopping the fullback and forcing the Mids to go to other options is the key to success. After being used sparingly early in the season, the 6-foot-1, 240-pound Ballard has become a huge force for Navy in recent action, combining for 359 yards on 47 carries in the past two games against Temple and Army.

If Ballard gets going, the rest of Navy's running game - statistically, the best in the land, averaging 305.2 yards per game - won't have to do much else. The Mids are more than willing to play smash-mouth football until forced to do otherwise.

"They are going to try to shove the ball right down our throats," CSU freshman linebacker Jeff Horinek said. "The only way to stop that is to be more physical than them."

Statistically, that appears to be a huge problem. The Rams struggled all season against running teams, surrendering 200-plus yards four times while finishing 104th nationally in rushing defense, yielding 200.6 yards per game.

The good news for the Rams is that Air Force, the closest facsimile to Navy on their schedule, was held in check when it mattered during a 41-22 CSU win earlier this season. Air Force uses a similar triple-option attack but passes far more often than Navy, which attempts just 12.3 passes per game.

Stanard hopes to utilize some of the same defensive schemes against Navy.

"We'll mix up our fronts and use some different slants, and hopefully confuse their quarterback (Owens) a little bit," he said. "You can't just line up the same way every time or you will never stop them."

One of the more disconcerting aspects of Navy's offense is that coach Paul Johnson is ready and willing to keep his offense on the field in fourth-down situations in an effort to keep drives going. The Mids ran 26 fourth-down plays this season, converting an eye-popping 65 percent. CSU, meanwhile, ran 19 fourth-down plays, converting 53 percent.

Facing a team with such confidence in its ability to convert on fourth down requires some doing, Nading said.

Rams coach Sonny Lubick figures that if the Rams can stop Navy three times they will have a decent chance to win the game. But if Navy relentlessly marches down the field, scoring each time, it will be difficult for CSU to keep up.

"It would be nice to be able to get an early lead and get them out of their comfort zone," he said. "If we could do that, that would be huge."

Stanard said the Rams, who haven't played a game since Nov. 19 and haven't faced an option-oriented team since Air Force on Sept. 29, have practiced well against Navy's offense. However, he said CSU can't take too long to catch on - or catch up - to Navy's quick, fast-paced offense.

"I think the first couple of series are going to be really important for us and for them," he said. "Navy is going to try to get points early, and that's our biggest concern. We can't let them get ahead and set the tempo. We have to be ready to match their speed right away."

Oh, and the Rams have to stop the fullback, too.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

IE

Administrator
Forum Admin
Forum Member
Mar 15, 1999
ETC.: CSU practiced for about two hours Tuesday on San Diego State's practice fields, and Lubick said his team is "building some good momentum" leading up to the game. The team will hold a brief walk-through practice at Qualcomm Stadium this afternoon after attending a bowl luncheon aboard the USS Midway . . . The CSU players were given a pep talk at practice by Dave Lay, the former CSU and SDSU offensive coordinator who now coaches at a San Diego-area high school . . . The Rams were in the presence of greatness while they practiced and didn't even know it. Their workout was held on the practice fields next to SDSU's impressive baseball facility, Tony Gwynn Field, where the stadium's namesake was conducting a practice. Gwynn, a lock for Cooperstown when he becomes eligible, is in his third season as the baseball coach at his alma mater.

socrstud

Forum Member
Nov 16, 2005
Great work IE2002....

The reason why I think MWEST is over rated is because I think teams like Toledo and Akron and N Ill in the MAC would beat CSU very well but that's just what I think....who knows.......remember this my biggest pick and I'm no psychic believe me, we will see how this one goes but if you all like be sure to fade me on this one

I think they would finish above CSU...I just don't think they should even be there b/c they SHOULDA lost to New Mexico....their record really should be 5-6

GLA on either side!

Last edited:

pt1gard

Registered
Forum Member
Apr 7, 2002
seattle
funny, my dad doesnt know much about cfb, he's bet his whole life, but his fave bowl game is Navy ... gl, i might CT the old man b/c I cant pick a winner in a forfeit

gl,
gregg

gman2

Forum Member
Nov 12, 2002
for lack of a better word, talked to a close "source" who played for navy a few years ago. played in some very big games himself. he wants nothing more than to see the blue and gold do well.

he thinks they're going to get get beat by 10+ in this game.

found that to be very interesting.

socrstud

Forum Member
Nov 16, 2005
about the MWEST conference I think the better way to put it is, in the past they have had some great teams and strong conference play, however, this year I think they are weaker than they have been, last year Utah emerged as a great competitor and so forth, this year I really feel that besides TCU a lot of teams could give the MWEST a run for their money in some of the smaller conferences.....I think that's the better way to explain in it, I think they are weaker this year only....

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

IE

Administrator
Forum Admin
Forum Member
Mar 15, 1999
Mids feel at home for Poinsettia Bowl

THE WASHINGTON TIMES
December 22, 2005

Navy's football team will play one final home game tonight.
The Midshipmen "play host to" Colorado State in the inaugural Poinsettia Bowl at Qualcomm Stadium in San Diego. Navy sold its entire 20,000-ticket allotment for the game by Saturday night and had to refer other requests to bowl organizers. Given the majority of tickets sold by the Poinsettia office went to U.S. Navy personnel, an expected crowd of more than 45,000 will be heavily in the Mids' corner.
"We're excited about that. I think we should have a good crowd," Navy coach Paul Johnson said. "It's a reward for the players. Hopefully it will be fun for the guys."
Navy's ticket-selling prowess for postseason contests has made it an attractive commodity for any bowl game with an opening, but the large Navy and Marine Corps presence in the San Diego area made the Mids a slam-dunk choice. Thanks in large part to the Navy connection, the fledgling postseason game will be a financial success this year.
But for the Mids to make the trip to sunny San Diego a success, they will need to do two things -- exploit the nation's 104th-ranked rush defense and slow an inconsistent offense that -- when it clicks -- rivals some of the best units in the country.
Navy's option offense has piled up 495 and 531 yards of total offense in the past two games. The Mids possess the nation's top-rated rushing attack, averaging nearly 306 yards.
Colorado State coach Sonny Lubick was the defensive coordinator at Miami before taking the job in Fort Collins, Colo., in 1993. But this is not one of his best defenses. The Rams are yielding 200.6 yards a game on the ground.
"Coach Lubick does a great job of coaching defense. He always has," Johnson said. "I'm sure they will be well prepared."
Colorado State allowed 227 rushing yards against option-heavy Air Force but countered with an impressive offensive assault of its own in a 41-23 victory.
The Rams' offense is led by an outstanding trio of skill players. Quarterback Justin Holland has thrown for 2,804 and 20 touchdowns; one more will set a school record. His top wideout, David Anderson, has 77 catches for 1,095 yards. Both should expect to hear their names called during April's NFL Draft.
When the Rams' offense has stalled, it usually means there was trouble for tailback Kyle Bell. The bruising sophomore finished the season with 1,166 yards, including 197 in the aforementioned contest against Air Force.
"I was watching that [Air Force] game and thinking how good their tailback Bell was, but then you look at the stats and they still throw the ball for 250 yards a game," Navy linebacker Tyler Tidwell said. "They're very well-balanced, and we're going to have to try and make them one-dimensional. The games they've lost have been when other teams have shut the rushing game down."

edludes

Forum Member
Oct 25, 2001
alaska
Read the pinacle pulse article this week.It sayes that the" sharps" at pinnacle,where the limit is a mere 30,000 a game are all over colo st,and someone called "the public"(his terms) are all over Navy.Interesting read.