Office

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

hogman14

HBD Sports!
Forum Member
Nov 24, 2002
Franklin, MA
Work in a small office.

You could say I run "operations" We are a small online wholesaler/retail business. Avg. 40 orders/day.

We have 2 cust. service reps.

We have 2 people who work out back and prepare orders.

I float if/where needed, as well as deal with the owner who is always in the office.

One of each quit. Also, the other person who works out back is going out on maternity leave soon.

The place is pretty miserable, but it could be worse. I've been looking for a job as well. The owner is a decent guy, but has no management skills...too smart for his own good, zero people skills. I end up being the one talking people off ledges around here.

Do I:

a. Ask for more money, knowing I have leverage?
b. See how things play out?
c. Quit.
d. None of the above.

TIA

Reactions: Cie and zoomer

The Joker

Registered
Forum Member
Aug 3, 2008
Tennessee
www.madjacksports.com
Work in a small office.

You could say I run "operations" We are a small online wholesaler/retail business. Avg. 40 orders/day.

We have 2 cust. service reps.

We have 2 people who work out back and prepare orders.

I float if/where needed, as well as deal with the owner who is always in the office.

One of each quit. Also, the other person who works out back is going out on maternity leave soon.

The place is pretty miserable, but it could be worse. I've been looking for a job as well. The owner is a decent guy, but has no management skills...too smart for his own good, zero people skills. I end up being the one talking people off ledges around here.

Do I:

c. Quit.
d. None of the above.

TIA

Leave.

You should be in management in a large company with those kind of skills.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

StevieD

Forum Member
Jun 18, 2002
Boston
Ask for more money.

Don't get your feeling hurt if he says no.

At least you know where you stand and you can start looking.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Mr. Poon

Sugar?
Forum Member
Jan 14, 2006
Colorado
More money in a job that you don't like or don't respect is only a temporary solution and eventually the benefit of the bigger paycheck will wear off.

layinwood

Forum Member
Aug 29, 2001
Dallas, TX
I probably think a lot differently than most on this subject but IMO you either look for another job or stay there. In all reality your job is to do what you're doing. Why would you ask for more money? Because things aren't going the best right now and you're doing a lot more than normal. What happens when things are going great, everyone is there doing their job and you're not doing as much? Does the owner have a right to ask you to take a pay cut so he can pay the other employees that are doing a great job more money?

This is the same thing my wife is dealing with right now. She manages an office with 30 or so employees in it. Someone is out or leaves and she ends up having to help out cover for them. She says the physicians are jerks and this makes the turnover high.

Some times because of the situation we're in we have to work at 120% of what we normally would. Hopefully there are times when it's only 80% and averages out. If you wouldn't expect the owner to ask you to take a pay cut during the 80% then you shouldn't ask him to pay you more during the 120. Now if over time it's skewed more on the 120 side then you should just leave because even with more money you won't be happy in the long run.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Mr. Poon

Sugar?
Forum Member
Jan 14, 2006
Colorado
Maybe not...........more money could be a big factor here. I'm sure many people here or people you know hate their jobs but like the money?

:shrug:

:facepalm:

Based on what he wrote here, I'm guessing it's not the compensation that that is making the place miserable and him wanting to look for another job. I could be wrong, but that's what I took from his post.

Sportsaholic

Jack's Mentor
Forum Member
Jan 18, 2000
Crustacean Nation

Do I:

c. Quit.
d. None of the above.

TIA

If you like the line of work your in COWBOY UP and have a sit down chat with the owner......Tell him how you feel and what to think would work to improve the business....If the guy has any sence at all he'll listen, if he's a prick then you make your move....Either way you'll feel better about it....:0008

layinwood

Forum Member
Aug 29, 2001
Dallas, TX
Or if you're really good at what you do and know the business then find someone with the coin and start your own business. That's what I did 14.5 years ago and it was the best decision I've ever made.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

hogman14

HBD Sports!
Forum Member
Nov 24, 2002
Franklin, MA
layinwood, great point.

Sports - have tried. he's not a prick about things, but I've saved a <bleep> ton of money for these guys and it's "hey ahole, you did this wrong" and no one else is ever held accountable.

Morale is extremely low. Having come from a large corporation and landing here I understand there's going to be a lot less structure, but it's just a really odd place to work.

Money pays the bills relatively.

Flipside really is "lucky to have a job"

Thanks for all the input.

ImFeklhr

Raconteur
Forum Member
Oct 3, 2005
San Francisco
I work in a very similar atmosphere; perhaps bigger by a factor of 3 or 4. When you work for a small company, your loyalty and versatility are big assets to the company (whether they know it or not). I think it is entirely appropriate to use a time when those assets are most relevant and apparent to ask for a raise.

Obviously you don?t want to back your boss into a corner by making your request seem like you are taking advantage of the situation. However, small business owners (if they are at all removed from the day to day operations) will actively or passively take advantage of you in a number of ways. When things are going smoothly the value of your versatility will be taken for granted, so this time of chaos might be the time he most realizes your value. What better time to ask for a raise? i.e. don?t wait until he forgets how valuable you are again to ask for a raise.

fatdaddycool

Chi-TownHustler
Forum Member
Mar 26, 2001
Fort Worth TX usa
Here is the best advice you will ever get on this forum.

Do whatever Imfeklhr says unless it has to do with ring pops and song choices and you will always be better off.

gardenweasel

el guapo
Forum Member
Jan 10, 2002
"the bunker"
Here is the best advice you will ever get on this forum.

Do whatever Imfeklhr says unless it has to do with ring pops and song choices and you will always be better off.

i would definitely defer to imf regarding color coordination.......and all things arugula....

///my brother.......:lol: ...i love me some imf......:toast:

BobbyBlueChip

Trustee
Forum Member
Dec 27, 2000
Belly of the Beast
Fill one or both positions with a girl with big tits and your morale will instantly improve.

Leveraging now will hurt compensation in the long run. Keep track of the money you've saved him and the revenues you've brought to him and bring that up during your next salary review.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

saint

Go Heels
Forum Member
Jan 10, 2002
Balls Deep
Coming from a small business owner.

He's obviously in a tough spot. Use your skills to help him through this rough spot. THEN ask him for the raise. If you do it now, regardless of whether or not it's deserved, will create sour grapes.

saint

Go Heels
Forum Member
Jan 10, 2002
Balls Deep
Instead of bending him over "hey I know you are up shits creek so I will pile on and ask for a raise", its better to come after and say "I know you were in a tough spot and I did A, B, and C to help you get through the tough time and I ask you to consider a raise" will go much further.