One of my friends is going to be a ref at NFL games!!

fatdaddycool

Chi-TownHustler
Forum Member
Mar 26, 2001
Fort Worth TX usa
Thanks Cris, I appreciate it! Feelings are mutual.

Don't know too much about unions or how they operate, but I'm glad he is able to do these games too. It's too bad some are out of a job (I hate seeing some of my friends out of work right now). I read something about this being because of the NFL's greed and how much they would have to pay the striking refs in salary and retirement. Not sure if that is true, maybe both sides should meet and try to come to an agreement.

kneifl

Well, that is supposed to be what is happening but it's not. Union operation as far as negotiation, terms and conditions so to speak are actually governed by different laws depending upon the industry. Unfortunately for the NFL refs, their union is trying to negotiate with a single owner of a monopoly that is exempt from all anti-trust laws and can therefore operate without regard to legal recourse. Long boring stuff, the thing is, historically, crossing a picket line is absolutely unforgivable in the minds of union and even some non-union people. This is a long standing rule among trade workers. Crossing a picket line where there is still strong union presence can be harmful to your career and health.
Unfortunately, people that don't have a reason to educate themselves about what unions did for labor in this country tend to disregard their importance and eschew them publicly. People won't walk on the grass at the Kentucky Derby but they'll completely ignore the picket line where employees have been locked out of their jobs. Strange priorities sometimes.

Cheers Jon

Hashish

Smoked
Forum Member
Sep 5, 2006
Surf City
jesus_laughable.jpg

smurphy

cartographer
Channel Member
Jul 31, 2004
L.A.
Awesome, I tell you. Just found out recently, my friend Don is a great guy, a partner at a law firm, and the type of person that would do anything to help out his fellow man, and he deserves it! Look for him this year!

kneifl

You gotta be kidding? So not only are they scabs, but some like this guy are rich anyway? I thought at least maybe some of the 99% were benefitting from this. You cannot be proud of this, Jon.:facepalm:

Bet on MyBookie