Oregon/Arizona State

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

gman2

Forum Member
Nov 12, 2002
personally, i think this is a quality matchup between two pretty good one-loss teams.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

LET'S EAT!!!

Forum Member
May 6, 2002
Portland.OR.
buc- im a big duck fan and season ticket holder who follows the ducks real close and heres what i can tell u ....ducks defense was pretty suspect coming into this season due to draft and grads and they lost 2 key guys for the season so far early...lb-brent haberly and db jackie bates....haberly was the most experienced lb they had and bates was thier #1 corner.....de-victor filipe is out for couple more weeks as well....these are 3 starters who are out.....oregon will not be able stop anyone from scoring on them in the pac10.....however the offense is very solid....o-line is seasoned and very good...qb-dixon has a good arm and is very mobile and quick....rb-jonathan stewart is flat out awesome and will be in the nfl and runs very well behind that o-line....they have a stable of burner receivers williams,paysinger,finley,colvin,and kent who all can fly....putting up 400-500 yds per game every week will not be very hard for them in the pac10 every week(except at usc) or 35-45 points.....their biggest problem is gonna be stopping asu's passing game...oregons biggest weakness is the pass defense and in the pac10 thats trouble...i think it comes down to the wire and turnovers in this game....both teams have booty defenses and oregon has edge in offense....think the best play in this one is the over 64.....good luck and hope this helps

and yes bob stoops u got fvcked cuz i was there and seen it and too fvckin bad:mj07:

LET'S EAT!!!

Forum Member
May 6, 2002
Portland.OR.
I actually really like ASU here baltimore....

dont know how u or anyone could "realy" like a side in this game....both defenses stink....asu's offense is pretty good and oregon's offense is very good and the game is at asu coming off a big loss where they got blown out....ducks had the week off....????.....if there is anything to "really" like in this one its the over:shrug:

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

blgstocks

Forum Member
Nov 4, 2005
So. Cal
Stop by my thread lets eat,

Im on the over as well, and am waiting to get asu at +3

I do agree with you about almost everything, esp coming down to TOs and who might stop who. I think ASU defense is a little better than advertised, Cal scored more than twice on TOs and also scored on ASU special teams. But again saying ASU defense isnt as bad as advertised isnt saying they are good.

GL with the over

Marra

Forum Member
Aug 31, 2002
Chicago, Tempe
good point blgstocks-

The final score is not indicitive on how the defense played at Cal.

Breaking down the box score-

Bears rushed for 5.5 ypr...average, not that bad.
Only 2 of 9 on third down...pretty good for ASU
21 points due to special teams punt return and 2 INT for TD :scared..not to mention a TD on a great pass/catch by longshore/Jackson for a 31 yard TD on a short field.

They did average 7.5 per play, though that shows Cal COULD have moved the ball if they needed to.

If there were no turnovers, I would imagine ASU's D would give up 28 points to Cal. Not great, but not horrible.

They aren't going to be able to stop the Ducks...and I would not bet ASU based on the fact you are betting basically on one thing...that Rudy Carpenter gets his confidence backed. Not something that is going to be easy to do.

devilfan02

Forum Member
Sep 30, 2004
Tempe, AZ
STAY AWAY FROM THIS GAME!!!!

Why to bet Oregon-

Rudy Carpenter sucks and turns the ball over way too much. He has zero confidence and crumbles when things don't go his way.

Koetter is a horrible coach. He may be an offensive mastermind but he has zero leadership skills. When things start going south, the team goes down like the Titanic. Koetter hasn't proved he can bring his team back from a loss during his tenure at ASU. He never, NEVER, wins big games.

Why to bet ASU-

Defense is much improved. The Cal score is not an indicator of the defense. There were 2 defensive TD's and a returned punt that made the score look bad.

Koetter does have Belotti's number. For some reason Koetter has had success against Oregon. Take it for what it's worth

ASU has a running game. Now have multiple power backs to go along with a shifty Herring.

Overall, I would stay away from this game. If I were to bet, I would go with Oregon. I am an avid ASU football fan and based on recent history Koetter never gets his team up after a loss, let alone a demoralizing one like at Cal last week. Bet the over

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

devilfan02

Forum Member
Sep 30, 2004
Tempe, AZ
dont know how u or anyone could "realy" like a side in this game....both defenses stink....asu's offense is pretty good and oregon's offense is very good and the game is at asu coming off a big loss where they got blown out....ducks had the week off....????.....if there is anything to "really" like in this one its the over:shrug:

Wrong. ASU's defense has looked good while the offense looks bad. Carpenter looks horrendous and the recievers don't look good either. The only offensive threats we have are Torain and Zach Miller. PHX is known for fair weather fans and that will be the case this Sat. While we will still have a home field advantage (primarily due to loud student section), it won't be crazy. It's a noon game so that may favor ASU a bit. The weather has been getting better but it will still be around 100 degrees throughout the game. ASU doesn't play well off bad weeks so that plays to Oregons favor as well.

Irish

Green&Orange
Forum Member
Jan 8, 2004
OH
This is a tough game to call. I am leaning toward Oregon because they have shown they can play against tough teams and for as much hype ASU has gotten on offense they have not lived up. Not only did Cal hammer ASU but the sundevils were lucky to beat colorado. The hardest and biggest factors to deal with IMO are the lack of duck defense, off an emotional win, and how ASU is a good home team.saying all of that ASU struggled defensively with mobility of colorados QB and Oregons QB is twice as dangerous. I think this comes down to all offense and the Ducks look to be a bit stronger in that department.

Cheers
Irish

devilfan02

Forum Member
Sep 30, 2004
Tempe, AZ
This is a tough game to call. I am leaning toward Oregon because they have shown they can play against tough teams and for as much hype ASU has gotten on offense they have not lived up. Not only did Cal hammer ASU but the sundevils were lucky to beat colorado. The hardest and biggest factors to deal with IMO are the lack of duck defense, off an emotional win, and how ASU is a good home team.saying all of that ASU struggled defensively with mobility of colorados QB and Oregons QB is twice as dangerous. I think this comes down to all offense and the Ducks look to be a bit stronger in that department.

Cheers
Irish

:confused:

I agree with the 1st half of your post but I have no idea what you talking about in the 2nd half. Almost lost to Colorado? We played horrible on offense and still easily won by 18. Rudy fumbled in the end zone for a TB and threw a pick in the end zone. Not sure how thats barley beating Colorado. Georgia barely beat Colorado, not ASU. I'm also curious to get your insight into how ASU struggled against Colorado's mobile QB..... Bernard Jackson, Colorado's "mobile QB", rushed for a whopping 5 yards on 17 carries and backed it up with 86 yards passing. If thats struggling I would like to hear how we could have done better...... Oregon is prob a good bet but not for half of your reasons

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

blgstocks

Forum Member
Nov 4, 2005
So. Cal
:confused:

I agree with the 1st half of your post but I have no idea what you talking about in the 2nd half. Almost lost to Colorado? We played horrible on offense and still easily won by 18. Rudy fumbled in the end zone for a TB and threw a pick in the end zone. Not sure how thats barley beating Colorado. Georgia barely beat Colorado, not ASU. I'm also curious to get your insight into how ASU struggled against Colorado's mobile QB..... Bernard Jackson, Colorado's "mobile QB", rushed for a whopping 5 yards on 17 carries and backed it up with 86 yards passing. If thats struggling I would like to hear how we could have done better...... Oregon is prob a good bet but not for half of your reasons
Totally agree with all of this.

Going to be a very good game. Alot of knowledge on both sides and both sides disagreeing. It is post like these that make this forum really valueable as you get multiple sources that follow the teams closely.

Oh and devilfan, even though ASU has lost alot of close ones in koetters tenure, he did come back and beat AU which is a big game for anyone who follows ASU. Not a huge game but definitely qualiies for big game.

Last edited:

devilfan02

Forum Member
Sep 30, 2004
Tempe, AZ
Thanks. I'm not trying to bash any posters but I've seen every single snap of ASU football the last 15 years and know exactly what has happened. When things get said that aren't true, whether positive or not for ASU, it makes me angry.

I believe your talking about UofA. That is a big win as it is a rivalry game but any ASU fan will agree that Koetter has been dissapointing in these games as well. So far during Koetters tenure, UofA has had the worst teams they have ever had (Macovick and post Mackovic era). He is only 3-2 vs UofA and he should be 5-0 with extreme ease. I understand that anything can happen in rivalry games and the notion that we have played on our heels because we have been favorites but he should be 5-0. Us beating UofA last season at home, barely, saved him his job

blgstocks

Forum Member
Nov 4, 2005
So. Cal
Yeah, I have had a shocked look on my face watching a far superior ASU team losing in their rivalry games more than once.

Why do you think that Rudy is having such a hard time this year. He was very solid last year in his starts.

LET'S EAT!!!

Forum Member
May 6, 2002
Portland.OR.
devil-do u got any updates on any of the injuries for asu?...heard they had some oline injuries....wanted to know if u've heard anything...thx

Glenn Quagmire

Forum Member
Nov 15, 2005
I'll be the first to admit that I haven't looked at this game at all but can someone tell me why Oregon is actually favored by 2.5 AT ASU??? Does ASU have significant injuries or is this just an overreaction to their loss at Cal?

blgstocks

Forum Member
Nov 4, 2005
So. Cal
I'll be the first to admit that I haven't looked at this game at all but can someone tell me why Oregon is actually favored by 2.5 AT ASU??? Does ASU have significant injuries or is this just an overreaction to their loss at Cal?

I think it is an overeaction to the Cal loss and the fact that ASU lives and dies by their offense and Carpenter(qb) has been consistently bad the past two weeks

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

devilfan02

Forum Member
Sep 30, 2004
Tempe, AZ
devil-do u got any updates on any of the injuries for asu?...heard they had some oline injuries....wanted to know if u've heard anything...thx

Andrew Carnahan, our LT and best offensive lineman (one of the best LT in college), got hurt on a freakin extra point last week. It looked pretty nasty and their awaiting MRI results. It looks like he won't play. I don't think there are any other significant injuries. One of our DE, Loren Howard, has been out all year and doesn't look like he'll be back this week. Same goes for OL Zack Krula whos been out for the year with an ankle injury. He wont be back this week

devilfan02

Forum Member
Sep 30, 2004
Tempe, AZ
Yeah, I have had a shocked look on my face watching a far superior ASU team losing in their rivalry games more than once.

Why do you think that Rudy is having such a hard time this year. He was very solid last year in his starts.

No one is talking too much about it anymore but the offseason QB controversy really took its toll. IMO, the competition, having both Keller and Carpenter, was good for both QB's. It seemed to really push both of them to constantly be on their "A" game in fear of one of them losing their jobs. Rudy doesn't have Keller pushing him anymore which I think may be a factor. Koetter originally chose Keller which could have made Rudy second guess himself. Koetter didn't pick him until his teamates went and vouched for Rudy. The PHX media came down very hard on Koetter for his butchery of this situation. This, no doubt in my mind, added tons of pressure on Rudy. It dominated the news here for a couple weeks, was on Sportscenter, espn.com frontpage..... Also, Rudys mechanics are awful. He constantly throws off his back foot and sidearms a lot of passes as well. He needs to look at more film from last season and go back to what he was doing- good mechanics and not forcing anything. Our WR's aren't helping him much but the interceptions are inexcuseable. It could be a Sophomore slump.... All I know is that he looks nothing like what he did last year and it's very dissapointing. Hopefully he will return to last years form. Here are some quotes from Koetters weekly presser today-

On quarterback Rudy Carpenter getting his confidence back...

"Rudy just has to get back to good fundamentals. Rudy came in and visited with me after films yesterday. I was asking Rudy what was going on. Rudy can name off for me what was going on. We just need to get back to good fundamentals. Rudy is carrying the ball too low. When he scrambles he is dropping the ball out of his left hand. He is throwing off his back foot. He has been there before, he'll get it back. It's not like he's never had fundamentals. He has picked up a couple of bad habits trying to make big plays. We just have to get back to solid mechanics. We'll get that straight this week."

On Carpenter's mental and physical condition...

"Rudy is getting hit too much because he is trying to run sometimes when he should just throw the ball away. Rudy was a little beat up yesterday. He was sore. He got his left hand stepped on. That was probably his biggest injury. That was the play where I was telling Rudy he should just throw that ball away. When he tries to scramble across the field he is going to get himself killed. Mentally he is where you would expect any great competitor, who plays like that, is going to be. He is going to be down. Rudy is really hard on himself. He is his own worst critic. That's what I love about him. He'll bounce back. He has to get that taken care of in Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday's practice."

Last edited: