PGA Championship

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

Dizzayton

Forum Member
Nov 8, 2001
PGA Championship - Tournament Matchup Plays. Nine tourney matchup plays this week and what looks to be some decent odds finally. Mickelson +130 over Stenson; Mickelson +105 over Garcia; Fowler +110 over Rose; Kuchar +100 over Rose; Fowler -115 over Watson; Kuchar -115 over Watson; Snedeker +105 over Grace; Zach Johnson -130 over Oosthuizen; and Toms -115 over Vijay Singh. I'm also tailing lostinamerica on his plays to win the tournament (Mickelson, Reed, Snedeker, Kaymer, Holmes) that he already posted on RBC Canadian thread and also adding plays on DJ and Kuchar to win tournament. Good luck this week everyone.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

LA Burns

Registered
Forum Member
Jun 11, 2003
New Orleans
very little about this tourney seems major to me year in and year out, but with the scheduling this year it's even worse imo - i mean, is anyone really excited for this tourney? frankly i was more interested in the rbc canadian lw than i am in the pga

red headed step child of the golf majors for sure.....

ejthree

Forum Member
Sep 7, 2006
very little about this tourney seems major to me year in and year out, but with the scheduling this year it's even worse imo - i mean, is anyone really excited for this tourney? frankly i was more interested in the rbc canadian lw than i am in the pga

Don't tell that to Hogan , Jack, Arnie and so on...I do get your drift though but still a major on a great course...

LA Burns

Registered
Forum Member
Jun 11, 2003
New Orleans
Don't tell that to Hogan , Jack, Arnie and so on...I do get your drift though but still a major on a great course...

i hear you ejthree, and probably being a bit too harsh and cynical, was shooting from the hip - just have always felt that way to a certain extent, and now the juxtaposition due to The Open being played just 2 weeks ago only serves to intensify the effect for me

but a major on a great course is correct - gl on your plays

burns

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

IE

Administrator
Forum Admin
Forum Member
Mar 15, 1999
Jason Day (Tourn) +115
over
Dustin Johnson (Tourn)

Jordan Spieth (Tourn) +140
over
Dustin Johnson (Tourn)

To Win Outright:

Sergio Garcia +2500
Charles Schwartzel +5500

IE

Administrator
Forum Admin
Forum Member
Mar 15, 1999
damn,

Jason Day hasn't played Baltusrol, feeling sick & spent last night in hospital after wife's allergic reaction. "Running on E".

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

sports student

Forum Member
May 14, 2000
Sturgeon Bay WI USA
72 hole at 5 dimes:

Schwartzel -135 over Matsuyama
Holmes -125 over Willett
Hatton -115 over An

1st round:

Kokrak -117 over Speight/Broberg
Stricker -117 over Toms/Beem

Another Steve

Put Pete In
Forum Member
Jul 7, 2002
Benbrook

I used to feel that way a long time ago...Now I think different, this is the one Arnold never Won. I enjoy it as I get to see some Club Pro's and bet this is the world to them.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Another Steve

Put Pete In
Forum Member
Jul 7, 2002
Benbrook
The PGA

The PGA

Outrights
2016 US PGA CHAMPIONSHIP SERGIO GARCIA +2250
2016 US PGA CHAMPIONSHIP ADAM SCOTT +3050
2016 US PGA CHAMPIONSHIP MATT KUCHAR +5250
2016 US PGA CHAMPIONSHIP SCOTT PIERCY +10250
2016 US PGA CHAMPIONSHIP WEBB SIMPSON +10250

Round1 Match Up
R KNOX (RND 1) -115 (M LEISHMAN (RND 1) vrs R KNOX (RND 1))

4 Round Match Ups
S PIERCY -125 (S PIERCY vrs D LEE)
W SIMPSON EV (W SIMPSON vrs R PALMER)

lostinamerica

Forum Member
Oct 10, 2001
Between Green Bay and Iowa City
I was looking for some wagering opportunities over the weekend, but I felt my clearest thinking was directed toward some early looks at the P.G.A. Championship. I?ll eventually cut and paste this post to that thread.

For openers, I said in my Canadian Open post, ? . . . I had been lining up for a play on Sneds at the P.G.A., but I decided instead that this week was a better spot.? What I more precisely should have said was, ? . . . I decided instead that this week was as good a spot because of Snedeker?s propensity for reappearing at the same spots.?

Reed has all the trappings of being a danger, although yet to be really tested to the fullest extent.

Baltusrol is a big property that can definitely suit Holmes, and J.B. is in the midst of a season of note.

Phil Mickelson
- -
Phil Mickelson(50/1) e.w. 145th Open Championship
Phil Mickelson(66/1) e.w. P.G.A.
Phil Mickelson(25/1) e.w. The Masters
Phil Mickelson(40/1) e.w. U.S. Open
- - In 2004 Mickelson repeatedly noted that Troon suited him best on the Open rota because all the way around you can strategically play to one side of virtually every hole and avoid the real problems which lie on the other side; utilizing his peerless short game when missing a green, and ready shotmaking when missing a fairway, he was indelibly engaged in the three-way battle that separated from the rest of the field. And the record shows what can happen now that Lefty gets to tune up for the Open on a links course instead of the bogs at Loch Lomond . . . I would have definitely concluded that the Open offered the best value in the majors for Mickelson this year if it wasn?t for the fact such surprising odds are being offered at Baltusrol where he has won before and will be played when he will surely be highly focused on a crammed schedule of majors while building toward the Ryder Cup . . . Although the 6-time runner-up surely wants the U.S. Open the most, IMO I would have to easily rate Oakmont as the least suitable major venue for Phil this season.
- - I don?t see anybody being more focused than Phil on the quick transition from the Scottish links to a classic Tillinghast parkland, and Lefty and the New York environs have carried on a mutual love affair.

Snedeker has a pretty decent record when leading, but I don't expect a brilliant closing today under ideal conditions. Regardless, he'll be a play next week.

After that it?s ODDS and ENDS . . .

Not Grace, surprisingly; no Rose, either, but Kaymer looks like a go.

Grillo over Molinari or Woodland, but I?ll likely pass, Lingmerth may be a tougher decision.

Haas, not Stricker, all just opinions. No Sergio. Definitely no Zach.

Koepka too short. Maybe Henley at 200/1, or maybe Top American.

Justin Thomas FRL
Keegan Bradley FRL

DJ, of course, while Rory definitely seems closest to his best of The Big 3 (soon to be 4), which IMO is why his frustration was so evident at Troon, but a P.G.A. at Baltusrol is a much better fit.

Phil Mickelson(66/1) e.w.
Patrick Reed(50/1) e.w.
J.B. Holmes(80/1) e.w.
Brandt Snedeker(66/1) e.w.
Martin Kaymer(66/1) e.w.

GL

Adding . . .

lostinamerica

Forum Member
Oct 10, 2001
Starters . . .

Factoid of the Week:

All sorts of discussion this week on how driving will be crucial, or at least the test will not take the driver out of anyone's hands. But I also heard a couple respected observations that the subtle rolls on the Tillinghast greens are very difficult to read correctly, which gives me pause with some of the better drivers. And those are some long ass Par 3s.

Useless stats of the Week:

Majors won by Tiger Woods before Age 33: 14
Majors won by Tiger Woods after Age 33: 0

Majors won by Phil Mickelson before Age 33: 0
Majors won by Phil Mickelson after Age 33: 5

Observations of the Week: (1) Dr. Gio Valiante, commenting on Henrik Stenson?s "insanely brilliant" play at Troon, after which he dedicated the win in honor of his friend Mike Gerbich who sadly lost his battle with cancer the day before the tournament: Grief causes a change in perspective and will suppress anxiety in really good ways. And it came on the biggest stage where there is ?no net? and the greatest athletes are pushed to their greatest performances. (2) David Duval: Adding 20 club pros to the P.G.A. field reduces the depth of the field but not the strength of the field (i.e. look to Augusta if you want to find a field lacking both depth and strength).

Parting shot of the Week: I've been wondering whether Casey Martin would be offered a cart to compete in the Olympics.

To my way of thinking thoughts of the Week: I absolutely, immediately and without any doubt loved Mickelson?s pairing with Westwood and Els for the first two rounds at Troon; nothing so absolute, immediate or doubtless about his Baltusrol pairing with Rory and Day. But I?m counting on some crowd energy to get Phil untracked early this week, and from there I have nothing but the highest expectations.

Decision of the Week: Trusting that I?m on a decent run of tracking INFORMATION and ANGLES and thinking clearly in my processing thereof, so there?s no reason for holding back in pulling the trigger on plays that have appropriate elements of appeal . . . Still plenty of opportunity enough for in-running plays.

Outrights:

Justin Thomas(100/1) e.w. First Round Leader
- -

Keegan Bradley(110/1) e.w. First Round Leader
- -

Darren Clarke(300/1) e.w. Top European
- - A bit of joy in his step.

Kevin Streelman(80/1) e.w. Top American
- - New Jersey and Tillinghast connections appeal, which are not high in my usual criteria for emphasis in pulling the trigger in majors, but this price (or 250/1 outright) also offers the extra attraction of a value loser.

Jason Dufner(100/1) e.w.
- - In the midst of a very solid season, off his best ever performance at The Open, has a resume featuring strong repeats in certain events, and came through nicely for me at 40/1 in the 2013 P.G.A., and 40/1 in Palm Springs this year, so I see value in this price.

Lee Westwood(80/1) e.w.
- - One way or another, Westwood will be a veteran presence on the Ryder Cup team, but he can do Dazzler a big buddy favor by freeing up a captain?s selection and earning his spot . . . In my book there?s better value here at the first culmination of the 2016 campaign than I perceive with Stricker at 100/1 or Kuchar at 45/1, and other numerous comparisons (and maybe the subtly treacherous for all greens will bizarrely add a favorable storyline).

Charl Schwartzel(60/1) e.w.
- - Not value in my comparisons, just a like.

Dustin Johnson(8/1) e.w.
- - Expecting further corroboration of his Player of the Year season.

Phil Mickelson(66/1) e.w.
Patrick Reed(50/1) e.w.
J.B. Holmes(80/1) e.w.
Brandt Snedeker(66/1) e.w.
Martin Kaymer(66/1) e.w.

Matchups:

Reed(+100) over Grace (Tournament)
Mickelson(+130) over Stenson (Tournament)
Kaymer(+100) over Matsuyama (Tournament)
Holmes(-135) over Willett (Tournament)
Kisner(-105) over Hoffman (Tournament)
Singh(-105) over Toms (Tournament)
D.Johnson(+125) over Willett/Stenson (Thursday)
Thomas(+187) over Cabrera Bello/Casey (Thursday)

GL

Last edited:

lostinamerica

Forum Member
Oct 10, 2001
A maximum of only 5 players can be added to My Leaderboard!!

That limitation on the PGA leaderboard does bring to mind another one of my ODDS and ENDS I've been meaning to discuss. When I highlight the names of all the golfers in whom I have an interest, I get overly focused on only those names during my hours of checking leaderboards. But when I don't do any highlighting, and I have to repeatedly scan the leaderboard to find my names of interest, I actually gain much more in terms of INFORMATION and ANGLES on all sorts of players I look into that I would otherwise race by both visually and mentally.

Of course, by Friday afternoon, if not sooner, I have almost always opted for the easier path of highlighting all players of particular interest.

GL

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Bub

Registered
Forum Member
Mar 29, 2016

I just hope Speith wins.

The Majors are the only time I watch golf.

Another Steve

Put Pete In
Forum Member
Jul 7, 2002
Benbrook
Round 2 Match Ups

Round 2 Match Ups

H STENSON (RND 2) -130 (D JOHNSON (RND 2) vrs H STENSON (RND 2))
J DAY (RND 2) -115 (R MCILROY (RND 2) vrs J DAY (RND 2))