MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Another Steve

Put Pete In
Forum Member
Jul 7, 2002
Benbrook
Round 3 Match Ups

Round 3 Match Ups

A JOHNSTON (RND 3) EV (A SULLIVAN (RND 3) vrs A JOHNSTON (RND 3))
S HEND (RND 3) +160 (P CASEY (RND 3) vrs S HEND (RND 3))
J DONALDSON (RND 3) +160 (R FOWLER (RND 3) vrs J DONALDSON (RND 3))

lostinamerica

Forum Member
Oct 10, 2001
Between Green Bay and Iowa City
P.G.A.:

I haven?t seen much golf, not quite 3 hours out of 14 hours of coverage. I spent Friday night wishing there were TNT replays. But I?ve been paying attention.

Based on my tracking coming into Baltusrol, there is no question when looking at my card after 36 holes that Grillo is the one that got away. Clearly on my short list with his impossible to ignore appearances. When it came to pulling the trigger my thinking was flawed by wondering if he would sustain . . . It?s a Big Saturday, but he?s been getting comfortable with his frequent Big Saturdays. Big Sundays will be a different question, but that?s not the hazard you worry about most when filling out your card on Thursday with 150/1 e.w. chances.

I love my golf. I?ve enjoyed and sweated and relived and absorbed a lot of important golf.

When looking at the prices just minutes before the start on Friday, no question that Reed at 50/1 e.w. would have been my selection if I had made a post. But I was already on at 50/1 with better e.w. terms, and I wasn?t doubling up. But Grillo got missed again - if he was at least 35/1 e.w.

Olympics - For quite some time I?ve been tracking Soomin Lee, Patrick Reed, Emilliano Grillo and Rafael Cabrera Bello for this spot. Lee didn?t make the team, the other three have short odds but the field is not stellar. Matteo Manassero and Padraig Harrington have recently joined Henrik Stenson on the watch list. It would be too perfect if Manassero earned a bronze medal as a reward for his season. Fowler and Watson are American threats, but I?ll opt for Reed. Aphibarnrat instead of Jaidee for me, but don?t sleep on Lee or Lingmerth instead of Harrington.

Posted before Thursday's off:
Starters . . .

Factoid of the Week:

All sorts of discussion this week on how driving will be crucial, or at least the test will not take the driver out of anyone's hands. But I also heard a couple respected observations that the subtle rolls on the Tillinghast greens are very difficult to read correctly, which gives me pause with some of the better drivers.
- - Now there's been more than a few comments over the first two days about the difficulty of matching up speed and line on the greens. I?ve not seen these Tillinghast greens up close, it may be primarily the poa factor. But I?ve been to numerous U.S. Open venues, and I definitely remember being up close to the greens at Olympia Fields, and in the shadows of the afternoon and early morning you could plainly see the many subtle ridges and bumps that were problematic when matching both the speed and line on the way to the hole.

Not Streb. Not Walker, if he makes it to Sunday. -7 is leading. Lots of subplots closely lined up behind that.

As a factor to weigh, should probably make note of early/late being the favorable draw.

Some great quotes, courtesy of The Golf Channel:

Kaymer - Late/Early -Now (the next 36 holes) is what we play for, but we can?t plan for it or practice for it. I know when you get it done the satisfaction is massive.

Fowler - Late/Early - The putts are going to drop. I?ve been putting well. It?s good to be swinging well, I?m hitting the driver hard, I?m giving myself opportunities.

Reed - Late/Early - I?ve only been doing this for 3 years and I just had my best ever finish in a major.

Walker - Early/Late - Golf. It?s what we do every week. But I haven?t experienced this. I?m pretty whooped.

Koepka - Early/Late - I wouldn?t be here if I didn?t think I could win. (I can manage my ankle, or something similar.) We?ve been playing really well even though I took a month off. (The royal we of Jordan Spieth came perfectly natural off his lips.)

I love The Golf Channel. But way too much Brandel Chamblee every step of the way is the worst thing about it; the moments of good he can provide come with so much bagage. Kelly Tillghman is unobjectionable by comparison.

Around the Horn . . .

Kevin Na - Early/Late - This course should suit. Plenty of room to maneuver his way to the hole, where he gets marvelous Tillinghast visuals.

Mickelson - Early/Late - It?s Jersey. I wish he was playing with Keegan, he might have ripped off a 63. But still a chance he?ll tap some of the synergy. He can carry my cash at 150/1.

Lee Westwood - Early/Late - Not one of my choices for catching lightning from here.

Stenson - Late/Early - Not surprising he?s already shown more minor chinks than he did all week at Troon, but playing fabulous, with no band aids or oxygen needed yet, will be there to pounce if no one wants it more.

Spieth - Early/Late - IMO, not a purple patch for his long game, so not exactly a purple patch for his putting and short game. Not a lot of wedges here, but see Kevin Na.

Rory - Too early - I take back what I said about him early this week. Seems more interested in body sculpting than his golf. Not good. I knew that when pulling the trigger on Wednesday, I just momentarily forgot about it when posting on Sunday.

Andy Sullivan - Early/Late. He?ll push Beef - Late/Early. Or not. . . . Noren could be good for a while. - Late/Early. Or not.

Reed - He?ll push Koepka. No not about it.

In-running:

Phil Mickelson(150/1)(1/4 for 1-2-3-4) e.w.
Alex Noren(300/1)(1/5 for 1-2-3-4) e.w.

Saturday:

Mickelson(-150) 69&Under
Grillo(-105) over Walker
Stenson(-110) over Spieth
Sullivan(-120) over Johnston
Reed(+105) over Koepka
Walker(-110) 70&Over
Fowler(-185) over Donaldson

Olympics:

Emiliano Grillo(33/1)(1/5 for 1-2-3-4-5-6) e.w.
Patrick Reed(14/1)(1/3 for 1-2-3) e.w.
Matteo Manassero(70/1)(1/5 for 1-2-3-4-5-6) e.w.

Parting Shot from David Duval: So many subplots with Ryder Cup, major champions eveywhere, Olympics, etc. It?s OK as a player if there?s a little bit of rain, deal with it. Let?s just hope there aren?t a lot of storms and not a lot of golf.

GL

Last edited:

Stanley

Registered
Forum Member
Jul 26, 1999
Manchester, England
www.tour-tips.com
Robert Streb 14.5
Jimmy Walker 8.8
Emiliano Grillo 19
Streb has not been in great form this season, but he did win the McGladrey Classic last season and finished in the top-10 in this event last year, so I would price him at lower odds than this for the current joint-leader
He leads this event with Walker who similarly has not been at the top of his game given that he has won twice in each of the last two seasons on the PGA Tour; that is a signal of his ability to win on this Tour and to deal with the pressure of leading a Major heading into the weekend
Grillo is two shots back in 3rd and I'll back him as well as the market is too heavily favoured to Day and Stenson at the moment; Grillo is another player backed who has won on the PGA Tour - he won the Frys.com Open earlier this season - and has already finished in the top-20 in both Major starts in his career, so can compete under weekend pressure

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Another Steve

Put Pete In
Forum Member
Jul 7, 2002
Benbrook
Round 4 Match Ups

Round 4 Match Ups

Plays flowing in....

A JOHNSTON (RND 4) EV (A SULLIVAN (RND 4) vrs A JOHNSTON (RND 4))
S HEND (RND 4) +150 (P CASEY (RND 4) vrs S HEND (RND 4))
G BOURDY (RND 4) +165 (A SCOTT (RND 4) vrs G BOURDY (RND 4))
J DONALDSON (RND 4) +160 (R FOWLER (RND 4) vrs J DONALDSON (RND 4))

Last edited: