Question about bankroll management

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

HoopsGuru

Forum Member
Jan 6, 2004
i think the betting progression is a bad idea. once you start to lose 3 or 4 games you lose your concentration and get nervous about losing huge amounts of units. if it was this easy everyone would do progressive betting. what if you lose 12 games in a row. starting with 100 bucks in game one you'd be down a fortune. sure the odds of that happening are very slim, its not worth losing that much over a losing streak.

LasVegasErnie

Forum Member
Apr 2, 2002
U.S.A.
madjacksports
HoopsGuru said:
i think the betting progression is a bad idea. once you start to lose 3 or 4 games you lose your concentration and get nervous about losing huge amounts of units. if it was this easy everyone would do progressive betting. what if you lose 12 games in a row. starting with 100 bucks in game one you'd be down a fortune. sure the odds of that happening are very slim, its not worth losing that much over a losing streak.
I don't mean to sound flip Hoops, but since Nov 1st, I've been hitting NBA 2H's at an average of 80%. Sometimes 75, sometimes up to 85%. I suppose the inevitable downswing is coming, buy I truly don't expect to get whacked 12 games running. I know, it's possible, but not probable.
Besides, if losing a certain amount of bets at one level drtops me below that level, I'm down to the next lowest betting level. Kind of a turniquet to stop the bleeding so to speak.

HoopsGuru

Forum Member
Jan 6, 2004
congrats, that's truly remarkable. if you can sustain anything long term over 55 % you're a solid capper. if you can maintain over 60 % then maybe you should be doing this as a living (not sure if you are now or not). good luck though with whatever you do. let us know what you decide on.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

buddy

Forum Member
Nov 21, 2000
Pittsburgh, Pa.
Does this betting strategy sound feasible? Or could you be a little more aggresive considering your 80% strike rate?"

Ernie, if you've found a handicapping niche that you feel confident with, have documented evidence to support your handicapping theory and can spend time reviewing your losses....then by all means, use a progressive wagering strategy.

When you find a niche (like NBA halftimes) and you win far more than you lose, it's safe to assume your selections are based on relevant data and you expect to win. You enjoy winning, but you also enjoy the game of wits.

If you lose and spend time trying to understand what prompted you to pick the losing side....this is "advanced" handicapping.

If you are doing this, then I'd say it's okay to use a progressive betting strategy.

Anything short of this can be costly.

Just my .02

INtheBLUE

Orgn Donor
Forum Member
Aug 30, 2005
Birmingham
LasVegasErnie said:
I don't mean to sound flip Hoops, but since Nov 1st, I've been hitting NBA 2H's at an average of 80%. Sometimes 75, sometimes up to 85%. I suppose the inevitable downswing is coming, buy I truly don't expect to get whacked 12 games running. I know, it's possible, but not probable.
Besides, if losing a certain amount of bets at one level drtops me below that level, I'm down to the next lowest betting level. Kind of a turniquet to stop the bleeding so to speak.

Dude if you are hitting 80%, let me know where your threads are for your past performance, and I will coattail that chit!!

LasVegasErnie

Forum Member
Apr 2, 2002
U.S.A.
madjacksports
buddy said:
Ernie, if you've found a handicapping niche that you feel confident with, have documented evidence to support your handicapping theory and can spend time reviewing your losses....then by all means, use a progressive wagering strategy.

When you find a niche (like NBA halftimes) and you win far more than you lose, it's safe to assume your selections are based on relevant data and you expect to win. You enjoy winning, but you also enjoy the game of wits.

If you lose and spend time trying to understand what prompted you to pick the losing side....this is "advanced" handicapping.

If you are doing this, then I'd say it's okay to use a progressive betting strategy.

Anything short of this can be costly.

Just my .02
Nicely put buddy. I wish I could say it was my handicapping ability. But it's just number crunching. No more, no less. Everything is done with a calculater. No decisions. No guess work.
I'm waiting for that inevitable downswing. I hope it's later than sooner.
I'm gonna use this betting progression from here on. It seems to have a built in stop loss.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

LasVegasErnie

Forum Member
Apr 2, 2002
U.S.A.
madjacksports
INtheBLUE said:
Dude if you are hitting 80%, let me know where your threads are for your past performance, and I will coattail that chit!!
I'd be more than happy to post em ITB, but I only have 1 or 2 a night. By the time I do the math, and put my bets in, there's no time left to post em and give you guys a chance to get em in.
On the nights that I do have enough time to post em, I gladly will.

IntenseOperator

DeweyOxburger
Forum Member
Sep 16, 2003
Chicago
IntenseOperator said:
If you really want to find out which works the best, you could start out with separate bankrolls for each money management system. You would find your answer in time.

Oh shut your pie hole

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

blgstocks

Forum Member
Nov 4, 2005
So. Cal
cisco said:
"So I'm losing the big bets, winning the small bets, "

I thought I was the only one with this problem. I work my way up and every time I "Step out" I get knocked down.

:cursin:
I hear ya. I have won alot of bets through parlays and what not but I bet huge on Wash st against SC and they got blown away. Others I have done too. ISU really tore me up against KU.

Even worse though if I didnt bet as much and won the bet I would feel bad because I knew it was a "loc". anyone know what I mean?

ScreaminPain

1/2 cocked
Forum Member
Nov 10, 2004
Southern California
LasVegasErnie said:
I'm gonna use this betting progression from here on. It seems to have a built in stop loss.

It appears you have identified the most important part of this scenario......

There are a number of methods, systems, theory's, etc, that could be construed as "money management", but the critical component is the stop gap.
Every 'capper comes across that string of losses that appears no matter how much effort has been applied. Those inevitable times need to be addressed by a money management stopper that allows continued play even after the losing streak.

You're on the right track....good Luck :)