Red River Rivalry and Army Black Nites

Box and one

Forum Member
Feb 26, 2000
Hudson Valley area.....NY
Army-UAB -25 ****
Oklahoma +14.5 over Texas ***

Think Army 5-0 will pound the ball via the air or ground vs a weak UAB defense. Army QB Dailey is a dual threat. He has an arm and can run the ball See Army winning 45-10 . Army Off. line will control the clock and UAB won't get many opportunities to score. Think Army will be 6-0 and will pound it over and over again. Army 5-0 and UAB 1-4. Army blew out Tulsa 49-7 last week . Before that they won 42-7,24-7, 37-14,and Tulsa 49-7. They avg around 450 yds on offense. Granted their opponents were FAU Rice, and Temple . Army has made a few adjustments with the new " crack back blocking rule". But UAB Def line will be easy target for Army's blockers. There will be some holes bigger then the Lincoln tunnel. Think anyone one of us here could gain 3.5 yds behind the Armys OL. And Army QB Dailey is very dangerous ..Back later with the Red River Rivalry. Love Texas but no way in this Rivalry game should OU be more then a 2 td underdog

Box and one

Forum Member
Feb 26, 2000
chasdee you might need someone pushing your recliner but think Black Nites OL is there strong point. Esp vs a UAB DL that will have trouble following the ball. nobody wants to play Army. Army doesn't really blowout teams . Last year they did beat UAB 31-6.. Think Army with a solid QB that can run and pass is the key.

Box and one

Forum Member
Feb 26, 2000
Have 2nd thoughts about Texas-OU.. OU's top wr is out Burkes. Also they are starting there back up QB and benching their starter Arnold . The Rivalry " red River is one of the greatest rivalries . They play at the cotton Bowl which is in Dallas almost equidistant to both campus's . It's a neutral site and think both teams get the same amount of tickets . OU has dominated the series and both have left the Big -12 and now are in the SEC. Last year Texas won 34-30 and the year before OU won 49-0 th. Texas won in 2021 and 2020 55-43 Its about bragging rights and recruiting Think many handicappers throw away the stats and who wins on paper. I originally thought 2 tds and half a pt are a lot But living in Austin and drinking the orange Kool aide has me 2nd guessing myself Texas has one of the best Off lines in college football " when ever Off line gives it's QB time to pass Sark calls it " cooking steaks ". That term means Ewers or Manning his QB 's has time to pass.
Special teams has decided this game in the past. Blocked punt,kick off return etc. Texas is No 1 in the nation and is in the top 5-10 on offense and D. They have the offense and now the Defense to go along with it. Think 14.5 points is a lot but Texas is loaded. Will still take the Longhorns and the +14.5 pts but its a small play. Think like someone already said " Big sp teams play and not turning the ball over will be the key to the game. But like starks said " if OU lets Texas " cook its steaks" it could be a long day for the Sooners. Ewers and Manning are amazing and if given time will chew out OU defense ..

LonghornMM

Forum Member
Oct 30, 2003
Deer Park, TX
Nice write up, Box. Yes, Texas is loaded and OU has lots of key injuries. Texas is also better coached. I can see the Horns putting up 40+. OU will struggle to put up 20. I think that Texas covers this relatively easy, but it is a huge rivalry game.

Reactions: Iron City

Box and one

Forum Member
Feb 26, 2000
been so wishy washy on this game Its almost like who I heard last .. Play racquetball with 4 Longhorns fans ,next door neighbor is big time Texas fan. OU losing wr Burke is a big loss Think Sark is a better coach. QB strength of Ewers and Manning and think Texas off line is one of the best. The favorite is just 6-8-1 ats . OU hasn't shown Texas in past games any film on what they might do Saturday Again sp teams could be the difference. If I had any
thing up stairs in my head I should pass on it but will give the 2 touchdown to Oklahoma Its still a lot of points to give in this Rivalry game . Think I'm drinking the orange Kool aide . Throwing out all the past games, ats records out All my racquetball buddies and TV and radio etc Final answer Texas -14.5 * Small play Again think Special teams and turnovers could be the key . Was in downtown Dallas in 1969 and the traffic was bumper to bumper on Commerce Street , Being a freshman and attending North Texas Every car would either give you the hook'em horn sign or the down hook'em horn sign. We were 18 yr olds from NY not really understanding the rivalry and traffic and cars beeping their horns. We were yelling out NY Mets . The world series vs Balt was going on. There were 3-4 cops at every street corner and we had to have our draft cards with us or we would be arrested Think that night Dallas police arrested over 400 people walking on Commerce Street . People were throwing stuff out on the street from their hotel rooms . Being from NY we had never realized the rivalry between these 2 states. Then many years later my daughter attends Texas and informs me from her dorm room that she " hates Okies and Aggies . She not sure why but is already brainwashed . She asked me " I don't even know what an Aggie is". Anyway I'm taking Texas -14.5 even though I think that's to many points to give. Want to enjoy the game and watch. Good luck everyone

oxnardca1

Forum Member
Oct 7, 2006
Oxnard, CA
It's hard to believe thya this 100+ year, top of the former two Big 12 DAWGZ, may not have the same Zing, this year. I understand the traditions, but truly, OK doesn't have much to lose...... It is Texas!!!
W the OK problem's, as well as they've already lost..... Th pressure is on Texas!
And........ Their BIGGER GAME, IS NEXT WEEK, WHEN THE GEORGIA BULLDOGS COME INTO TOWN!!! And YES.......I will Be in Austin for the first time, for that game!!!! My Daughter is a student at UGA, and a Buddy of mine lives in the Austin area!!! I don't believe how much hotels cost, for anyone needing one next weekend, in Austin!
I hope that The Longhorns aren't looking ahead!!!
W the way the NCAAF is, Texas will lose its #1 ranking after Saturday...... Due to the winner of Ohio St and Oregon game.
Then, when Texas wins the money line vs OK, the winner of the Longhorn/UGA game will then, take the #1 spot!
What I've heard, is that the BUZZ, will be greater next week, and that Austin, TX..... Is having it's largest celebration, NEXT WEEK!!!
What do you gentlemen think????

Either way....... Next weekend in Austin will. Be very Special!!!!

Reactions: LonghornMM

LonghornMM

Forum Member
Oct 30, 2003
Deer Park, TX
Oxnard, trust me, Texas isn't looking past OU and ahead to Georgia. They are seething about OU and can't wait to put an ass whipping on them after all of the insults from the OU players and coaches after blowing the game last year in the final seconds. Texas/OU is the best rivalry in college football IMO.

BTW, Texas is an early -2 1/2 point favorite over Georgia next week.

Reactions: oxnardca1

rocky mountain

Forum Member
Sep 24, 2005
Oxnard, trust me, Texas isn't looking past OU and ahead to Georgia. They are seething about OU and can't wait to put an ass whipping on them after all of the insults from the OU players and coaches after blowing the game last year in the final seconds. Texas/OU is the best rivalry in college football IMO.

Texas Smackdown?

Box and one

Forum Member
Feb 26, 2000
News flash my wife just came from her in Oak Hill [ part of Austin} YMCA yoga-swim class Consensus of all her yoga buddies is that Texas gets revenge from last yrs game and OU has many injuries therefore Texas wins big. Will start keeping the YMCA ats records from now on.. But there were 18 woman in yoga class and it was 18-0 Texas wins big today.

Reactions: PJ12

oxnardca1

Forum Member
Oct 7, 2006
Oxnard, CA

That is exactly how a tenured rivalry should be!
Texas has so much more talent this year than OK.
But..... I'm talking about the city of Austin, and what is happening next week..... Truly means more to the Victor, than this game.... Especially for the winner will likely be the #1 team in the Nation!
Your likely the person to ask this....... When was Austin's last game, that had hotels running higher than in Beverly Hills, generally as a whole city??
Perhaps Bama in 2022??
I don't recall their rankings, but I'll. Just say that I'm PUMPED about seeing what Austin has to offer, and the feel of game day there!

Box..... What do you think?

We did get one night at a hotel about a mile north of the stadium, due to Uber is shotty from Spicewood to the game. He does have a friends Place we may be able to stay, but for the just in case that doesn't pan out, we got the hotel as insurance

Last edited:

Box and one

Forum Member
Feb 26, 2000
I agree Texas could lose and might not cover but its not looking ahead. Army blows out UAB UAB just got beat 71-20 by Tulane. Army coming off a 49-7 Tulsa win. Its 70 degrees and sunny. Think Army controls the line of scrimmage and the Black nites win big Go Black Nites and Longhorns

LonghornMM

Forum Member
Oct 30, 2003
Deer Park, TX
That is exactly how a tenured rivalry should be!
Texas has so much more talent this year than OK.
But..... I'm talking about the city of Austin, and what is happening next week..... Truly means more to the Victor, than this game.... Especially for the winner will likely be the #1 team in the Nation!
Your likely the person to ask this....... When was Austin's last game, that had hotels running higher than in Beverly Hills, generally as a whole city??
Perhaps Bama in 2022??
I don't recall their rankings, but I'll. Just say that I'm PUMPED about seeing what Austin has to offer, and the feel of game day there!

Box..... What do you think?

We did get one night at a hotel about a mile north of the stadium, due to Uber is shotty from Spicewood to the game. He does have a friends Place we may be able to stay, but for the just in case that doesn't pan out, we got the hotel as insurance

What compounds things in Austin next weekend is F1 is in town for a race at COTA.

Box and one

Forum Member
Feb 26, 2000
watched the Army game wow Bryson Dailey the Army QB is the real deal . He is big for a QB that runs option But runs like halfback,strength of a fullback and has an arm Not sure of the final stats he had but he ran for his 1st TD in the game and stiff armed the opposing linebacker for a rushing touchdown My buddy is right. Army 5-0 and he could be the best QB they have had in years. Missed the the tree's changing colors and Michie Stadium.. Have to admit got a little " homesick from the Hudson Valley but think the frost and snow is coming soon and it will be in the 60's here in Texas. Go black Nites and Longhorns looking good in 1st half. Decided not to go to Tex St game tonight . Will babysit grand kids .

Box and one

Forum Member
Feb 26, 2000
OXnard When I retired from teaching and being a school administrator in NY and married to a native Texan I kinda knew Texas is where I would retire. But Dallas-Denton in the winter gets cold so with a daughter at U. Texas we visited Austin Its a great place to retire Realized many from California and Michigan-Indiana Big 10 country retire here. Many from the Air force since it had a few Air force bases . It's a very liberal city with almost every other person under 30 has a tattoo. Including my daughter who is in her 10th year teaching here. Then my son a computer person decided to move here. I love Austin . I play racquetball 5 days a week and stays in shape. My wife Hikes and kayacks 5 days a week . Can you get my email from MJ's or adm and maybe we can hook up for lunch when you come I try very hard not be a homer Have season tickets to Tex St basketball games and since I live in south Austin love watching and betting on them , Babysitting a lot with 3 grandchildren here . Food is great and no state income tax. But everyone who retires from NY go to Florida or North Carolina I will never say " Ya'll and never eat a breakfast taco's Get in touch with me and I'll treat for lunch..

Bet on MyBookie