Rumsfeld Steps Down

JCDunkDogs

Forum Member
Sep 5, 2002
L.A. Area
TIMELINE OF THE STORY

TIMELINE OF THE STORY

11am Eastern. Reuters
WASHINGTON - Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld, the face of U.S. war policy and a lightning rod for critics worldwide, will not be forced out just because he faces a tougher time from resurgent Democrats.

12 Noon Eastern
FOX NEWS - WE REPORT, YOU DECIDE

WASHINGTON (AP) ? Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld, a key target of Iraq war critics, gave no indication Wednesday that he planned to step down in the wake of Democratic midterm election gains, his chief spokesman said.

1pm Eastern. Yahoo News
WASHINGTON - Republican officials say Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld is stepping down. Word comes a day after the Democratic gains in the election, in which Rumsfeld was a focus of much of the criticism of the Iraq war.

AR182

Forum Member
Nov 9, 2000
Scottsdale,AZ
msnbc is reporting that ex-cia chief gates is taking over.....

i agree bush should have done this a few years ago....

smurphy

cartographer
Channel Member
Jul 31, 2004
L.A.
Oh man, Bush is gettin real awnery in this press conference. He's not happy.

Chadman

Realist
Forum Member
Apr 2, 2000
SW Missouri
My GAWD, is Bush cranky in this press conference. He must have stayed up past 9 pm last night...:)

I think, judging from the tone of this press conference, that a spirit of cooperation may not be forthcoming from the big guy...

smurphy

cartographer
Channel Member
Jul 31, 2004
L.A.
Where did all that "political capital" of his go?

He's gettin beedy-eyed and spazzy again. This might be one of his white line days. Lookin a little shiny under his nostrils too.

StevieD

Forum Member
Jun 18, 2002
Boston
This guy Gates has a lot of luggage too. Just replacing one with another. But it is a victory on paper anyway. Nice to see Rummy go.

AR182

Forum Member
Nov 9, 2000
Scottsdale,AZ
This guy Gates has a lot of luggage too. Just replacing one with another. But it is a victory on paper anyway. Nice to see Rummy go.

stevie my friend...everybody in that world has baggage.....

btw..why didn't bush fire rumsfeld before the election...it may have saved some seats for the republicans.....bush has to rank right up there with gore as the worst politican of my time......

Last edited:

StevieD

Forum Member
Jun 18, 2002
Boston
Al, first off congrats on Arizona and their voting. Getting to be more like Massachusetts every day:142smilie Lucky you.

Yes everyone has baggage but not everyone's baggage is full of $hit from Iraq like Rumsfeld and Gates.

AR182

Forum Member
Nov 9, 2000
Scottsdale,AZ
i'm not familiar with gates..so i can't comment on him....

can you tell me briefly about him ?

btw...with allen's problem in winning this election...it looks like the republican nominee in 2008 will be between mccain & romney.....i'm completely turned off by mccain so i have to brush up on mitt...

as far as arizona's voting yesterday...good or bad i can't be blamed or praised for the results since i sat the election out....

smurphy

cartographer
Channel Member
Jul 31, 2004
L.A.
btw..why didn't bush fire rumsfeld before the election...it may have saved some seats for the republicans....

Yeah - I was thinking that too. I guess they rolled the dice that they could somehow keep majority and then they'd look stronger and unified in the long run. It wasn't a smart gamble, it probably sealed the fate of a couple GOP seats.

peddler1

Forum Member
Dec 3, 2002
Ohio
Now when is Cheney going to take the hint and go?? I am just glad That this is comming to late for Bush.

StevieD

Forum Member
Jun 18, 2002
Boston
Al this guy Gates has a history of dealing arms to Saddam and some other crooked stuff with Iraq. Cut from the same mold as Rumsfeld.
I know I was for Mitt for awhile but I have to back off my support since he has proven himself to be a closet neocon and his support of the Occupation. But to be fair, to me it all comes down to one issue.

AR182

Forum Member
Nov 9, 2000
Scottsdale,AZ
Al this guy Gates has a history of dealing arms to Saddam and some other crooked stuff with Iraq. Cut from the same mold as Rumsfeld.
I know I was for Mitt for awhile but I have to back off my support since he has proven himself to be a closet neocon and his support of the Occupation. But to be fair, to me it all comes down to one issue.

i was for the invasion also.....just not how it was fought.

i'm not going to go into this again but at the time iran was ( & still is) more of an enemy than iraq was..so i don't see anything wrong with dealing arms to saddam AT THAT TIME.

shamrock

Forum Member
Aug 12, 2001
Boston, MA
Al, Robert Gates started serving in the CIA in 1966 at a entry level position, only entry level position employee to arise to rank of director. Served under 6 presidents of both parties. Very outspoken, marched on Washington against occupation of Cambodia. Served under Bush 41 immediately under Sculcroft who you may or may not know has been exiled from this administration, as he opposed invading Iraq from the start.

djv

Forum Member
Nov 4, 2000
Yes to late by a year or two. And To bad Cheney did't say he was tired and taking his chair and going home to.

kosar

Centrist
Forum Member
Nov 27, 1999
ft myers, fl
In his resignation speech, Rumsfeld tells the country that this 'war' (with who?) has been 'misunderstood' by the American people.

Fortunately, people have finally started to 'understand' it.

Good riddance you arrogant blowhard.

smurphy

cartographer
Channel Member
Jul 31, 2004
L.A.
In his resignation speech, Rumsfeld tells the country that this 'war' (with who?) has been 'misunderstood' by the American people.
Does that mean the war is a known unknown or an unknown unknown?:sadwave:

Bet on MyBookie