SC vs Auburn

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

z2000

Forum Member
Apr 7, 2000
Milwaukee,WI,USA
Last year I ran a thread in which I tried to get people's views on their "home team". I had a lot of fun with it, but it took up too much time. Instead, I will try to give my pick for the SC game each week.

I think SC will cover the 7 points. They are playing at home with a full year under Pete Carroll. Carroll has done a fantastic job with the defense. The offense struggled at times last year. I think Norm Chow's system was more difficult than most thought.

Auburn on the other hand is breaking in a new offense & a new defense. Expectations are high with Carnell Williams healthy, but I think it takes a while for teams to learn new systems

I also like that Auburn has to travel across country to face USC. I think it gives the trojan another advantage.

Superbear

Forum Member
Aug 23, 2002
New England
Pete Carol, LOL. When I think of him and his days as the Patriots coach, I always think how he kept a player after practice to run laps as punishment, and when everyone went in the lockerroom, he poured water on him to make it look like he was sweating and told him not to say anything to the other players. The player went right in and told everybody. I think Auburn will do more of the same just like Utah did.

z2000

Forum Member
Apr 7, 2000
Milwaukee,WI,USA
You know, I had the same opinions of him when SC announced he would be the head coach. I thought it was a terrible hire, just like Hackett. But after seeing the team respond to him, I think he is better suited for the College game.

He did make a huge mistake in the bowl game. He let each player find their own way to vegas. I dont think he knew how to prepare his team for the bowl game. He still was able to manage a good recruiting class & the team appears poised to play their hearts out for him. He also is a great defensive mind. SC lost to Utah 10-6, so it certainly wasnt the D that had problems. The offense couldnt do anything against Utah. I would blame Chow more for the loss than Carroll since he gave Norm total offensive control.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Superbear

Forum Member
Aug 23, 2002
New England
I dont see their offence doing much against Auburn's 10 returning defencive starters either. Tigers have 16 returning starters on a team that beat Florida and Georgia. Also, traveling west they will actualy gain more time to sleep, but the game is at nite anyway. I don,t even see Trojans winning this game. I strongly feel that the wrong team is favored here.

djv

Forum Member
Nov 4, 2000
I like the under. Just looks to be a low scoring game. Auburn maybe small as the dog.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

johnnyb.

Authentic
Forum Member
Mar 3, 2002
O.C.
www.johnnybhaircarecom
i heard from some sc friends that sc defense is good but biggest improvement is in passing game... norm chow got palmer making the right reads. see them winning easily, i'll be at game to enjoy victory! superbear insiders' football has 8 returning starters on d, not 10. auburn is being predicted to be at bottom of s.e.c. west by college football news.

Phenom

STRONG.
Forum Member
May 24, 2001
The Upstate
They always predict Auburn at the bottom of the S.E.C. and the tigers have shown them up in the last few years, in my opinion, don't base it on a magazine or newsletter. S.C may win, but the guys writing for most of those mags have no more insight than the average football handicapper.

With that said, I look for Auburn to win outright...

Tuberville has a great record against non conference opponents, and Auburn has done a good job in the 1st game of the year over the past few years.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

wareagle

World Traveler
Forum Member
Feb 27, 2001
MEMPHIS, TN
www.dunavant.com
I'm having a hard time picking a favorite in this game. I think Auburn has slightly better talent, but the major questions on offense keep me from feeling 100% confident about my beloved Tigers. Still, the injury losses of Fargas and Arbet are huge for USC. In case you didn't know, Fargas is their starting tailback and Arbet is their top cornerback. SC has just as many offensive question marks as we do. The only difference is that there is no doubt about there QB's ability. But there are doubts everywhere else. With the powerful defenses both teams have, I think it will be low-scoring. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see it come down to a field goal in the end. Davis is an excellent kicker for them. And, of course, if Damon Duval gets to make a kick with a game on the line, my money's on him every time. I really think we will beat these guys IF we don't turn it over a ton of times. As long as we hold onto the ball really tightly, I think we will overcome their home field advantage and win the game.

Auburn +7 and ML LOCK AND LOAD

WDE!

mw

Forum Member
Sep 29, 2000
dallas
What about the racial discord at AU? Is that all smoothed over?

I'd really like to take the Tigers here.

Phenom

STRONG.
Forum Member
May 24, 2001
The Upstate
At least one Fraternity has been put back on campus.. There were over 250 pictures from different parties on campus with same stuff that got the two fraternities in trouble. Have talked with several people involved in what happened and most things have been smoothed over and things are getting back to normal down on the plains.

Hope this helps..

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

wareagle

World Traveler
Forum Member
Feb 27, 2001
MEMPHIS, TN
www.dunavant.com
everything is fine with regards to the racial issues. Here is an excert from an article.

OK, to be specific, the Auburn football coach was entertaining his 15 senior football players and he wasn't the guy manning the coals, but the evening was a rousing success.

"Those steaks were so big," cornerback Rashaud Walker said. "Coach is going to have to invite us back out there so I can get in that pool."

Tuberville also served baked potatoes, green salad and a brownie a la mode dessert. However, it was the post-dinner conversation that had the guests excited on Tuesday.

"It was real special," Walker said. "Coach Tuberville is such a great coach. He's such a player's coach.

"It was really great. It's such a great bond this year. I've never felt anything like this since I've been here. It's such a great bond from the coaches to the players. The offense is not just the offense. The defense is not just the defense. The kickers are not just the kickers. It's all one team. Everybody knows their responsibility and what they have to do on the team. That's what we were expressing. We were just telling coach, 'Hey, we don't just want to go back to the SEC Championship Game or win the SEC. We feel like we can be national contenders.'"

Despite all sorts of speculation about Tuberville's job security, the fourth-year Auburn coach has oozed confidence during presea son camp. Monday's heart-to-heart at his residence did nothing but bolster his feelings that this team could be special.

"They all looked me in the eye and they were very straightforward about how excited they are about the season and about the younger players that are playing along with them," Tuberville said. "They feel comfortable that the leadership and chemistry of this group is one that can be very successful if we get a little look and continue to improve and play them one game at a time.

"We kind of got away from the office environment, put our chairs in a circle and talked about the season. They had some interesting thoughts and suggestions. This is the seniors' team. It's not my team."

z2000

Forum Member
Apr 7, 2000
Milwaukee,WI,USA
Still, the injury losses of Fargas and Arbet are huge for USC. In case you didn't know, Fargas is their starting tailback and Arbet is their top cornerback.

FYI... Fargas has never taken a snap in a real game. He is a transfer that the alum are hanging their hats on as the person who will save the running game.

I think returning 5 starters on the o-line will have a bigger impact than a new rb. SC has 3 seniors at rb & it may be running back by committee this year.

The loss of Arbet is big. He was PAC 10 special teams player of the year, but I dont think losing a corner is that big when you are facing a run-oriented team with a brand new qb. The pressure from SC's front 4 should disrupt a newbie in his first start in front of a national tv audience.

I wish Nick would give his views on this one. He usually has a lot of insight into SC. I know he doesnt like to bet on them, but his take may be helpful ;)

wareagle

World Traveler
Forum Member
Feb 27, 2001
MEMPHIS, TN
www.dunavant.com
but I dont think losing a corner is that big when you are facing a run-oriented team with a brand new qb. The pressure from SC's front 4 should disrupt a newbie in his first start in front of a national tv audience.

You could not be more incorrect with this statement. First, brand new QB. Cobb is 24 yr old sixth year of college. If you remember last year he beat Florida after coming off the bench. Your comment about a newbie with his first start in front of TV. Well, unless the LSU, Alabama, and Georgia games were not on TV last year. 2 games on CBS and one primetime ESPN. :nono: :nono: :nono:

z2000

Forum Member
Apr 7, 2000
Milwaukee,WI,USA
Thanks for enlightening me. I thought I had read that there was a big qb controversy. I guess I should have studied harder. Sorry about the incorrect statement. I guess that is what this forum is for, helping everyone get on the same page.

I still like having Polamalu out there to help out the inexperienced secondary.

That will make it more interesting. Bottom line, I cant wait until Monday night!

Fluk

Forum Member
Jan 13, 2002
Auburn
I am a student at Auburn University and everyone is real pumped about this upcoming season. Have a lot of questions about this year's team. They have the ability to be great, but you never know what will happen.

No one seems to be giving us any attention in the SEC, much less rest of nation - but that is fine, we don't get much respect usually. If Carnell can stay healthy, he will be very impressive. Cobb at QB is obviously a question, he has the ability to play well, but will he? The denfense is one thing we will enjoy this year. Led by one of the best linebacking crews in the nation and most of the starters returning on D.

Auburn has a history of rough games on the road. Auburn I honestly feel is the better team, and has the ability to win the game outright. As said above, if they can avoid turnovers and play sound football, they should prevail. If not, who knows - I like the +7 here though.

Fluk

z2000

Forum Member
Apr 7, 2000
Milwaukee,WI,USA
The more and more I read about Auburn, the more and more I feel like I have heard this before. Everybody seems pumped, the team is finally together, they have been playing their hearts out for the coaching staff.

These are all intagibles USC experienced last year. Everyone was so excited (fans & players). Everyone felt the changes that needed to be made were made. The players sounded like they were going to give everything they had for the coaching staff.

What happened to the team: they started 1-4. The reason: they didnt have enough time in the new defense and the new offense. Everyone was learning a new system. Everyone was learning a new terminology for the systems.

People should be careful to not underestimate the learning curve.

It sounds like no matter what happens, Auburn is heading in the right direction. I wish all of their fans the best of luck (just not on monday .;) )

Last edited:
MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg