So, what should we do with Iraq at this point?

smurphy

cartographer
Channel Member
Jul 31, 2004
L.A.
I think Spibble and I might just be able to get along. We've had some common ground of late. You stay golden, my jap-loving neocon friend.

AR182

Forum Member
Nov 9, 2000
Scottsdale,AZ
Regarding Iraq - if you read my first post, you will see that I agree with your strategy. I do not think, however, that the media is at fault

i don't think that i said that the media is at fault.....but instead of reporting solely on the news of the war, i believe (whether right or wrong) that most of the media is slanting the news to fit their beliefs......which is wrong...

DOGS THAT BARK

Forum Member
Jul 13, 1999
Bowling Green Ky
Smurph I no expert by any means but to win we will have to have the main population trust us and work with us on weeding out the terrorist--and along with trusting us they will have to trust their own law enforcers. With terrorist having every uniform available I can see it would be hard to seperate good guys from bad guys.
We have made many mistakes as far as gaining trust--one example I never seen reported by either side much was battle for Fujalah. We took it after many days and many casualties only to leave and let terrorist return and they took their toll on citizens that aided us. They finally have retaken it and set up forces there to protect the people.
I think things will improve once Saddam is hung. Lots of Sunnis still hoping and believing he'll return to power.
Another big step we will need to do is let Iraq's handle captured terrorist. There is little fear from terrorist after we capture them with the world reporting on their treatment.I believe they would lose lots of potential terrorist if they knew there would be severe consequences when caught.

In a nutshell I don't think we can make a lot progress until the people feel safe about turning in insurgent elements--the religious battle will be on going to some extent for many years to come regardless. Lots of internal corruption to deal with also.

The brightest spot I see so far is freedom of press.
LOTS of new papers poping up all the time--and appears that part of freedom has been contagious and they relish in being able to say whatever without reprecussions.

Another thing is they have at least 3 more years of our support.
I think that will be ample time for success or failure--If we don't have situation under control by then--GW and Admin can't say it was for lack of time. The chips will fall and GW and admin will be judged by outcome--and rightfully so--whichever way it goes.

Bet on MyBookie