stripped lugnut while chjanging a tire...

gardenweasel

el guapo
Forum Member
Jan 10, 2002
"the bunker"
the casing on the lug came off in the lug wrench.....having trouble finding a socket to fit the lug.....

without the casing(i pried it off trying to loosen it..lol) i think an 18 mm socket might have a shot(i have pretty much everything EXCEPT an 18mm).....if not,????...

any ideas if none of the sockets fit?....i`d hate to have this mofo towed for a fricking flat.....

anybody ever have this happen?.....i hope i don`t have to take the stud off...

btw...front passenger side ....and the fricking manual is so f`ing obtuse as to the placement of the jack...

gardenweasel

el guapo
Forum Member
Jan 10, 2002
"the bunker"
Heat it up and try an 11/16" socket.

If you do ruin the stud it's really no big deal to replace.

i`d have to take the whole wheel apart,wouldn`t i?.....calipers etc.......don`t have stands just the shitty jack that came with the jeep...

used some wd 40 on it just before dark...i was thinking about trying a dremel cutting wheel on it...

old lady just had the oil changed yesterday...also noticed that the back passenger window is half way down...looks like the regulator zapped on us....

getting nickel and dimed to death.....been a shitty month all the way around...:violin: :nooo:

Morris

Tent Maker
Forum Member
Aug 23, 2002
Above the Clouds....
You probably won't have to take the caliper off.

Just spin the hub so you have clearance and hit it through.

You haven't dinged up the threads yet have you?

gardenweasel

el guapo
Forum Member
Jan 10, 2002
"the bunker"
You probably won't have to take the caliper off.

Just spin the hub so you have clearance and hit it through.

You haven't dinged up the threads yet have you?

not "yet"....:lol: ...just my luck that they put those shitty lugs on with the cheap casings......i have some others that are all solid,one piece....

what are the chances that the car comes back from a lousy tune-up with a totally flat tire and a trashed regulator?...very weird that she made it home because that tire is totally flat..........

so much for a restful saturday...i`m not happy

thanks for the help,bud....

Morris

Tent Maker
Forum Member
Aug 23, 2002
Above the Clouds....
not "yet"....:lol: ...just my luck that they put those shitty lugs on with the cheap casings......i have some others that are all solid,one piece....

what are the chances that the car comes back from a lousy tune-up with a totally flat tire and a trashed regulator?...very weird that she made it home because that tire is totally flat..........

so much for a restful saturday...i`m not happy

thanks for the help,bud....

Wish I was closer I'd come over and give you a hand.

If you need get my email I'll be home all day tomorrow.

GL!

gardenweasel

el guapo
Forum Member
Jan 10, 2002
"the bunker"
Wish I was closer I'd come over and give you a hand.

If you need get my email I'll be home all day tomorrow.

GL!

i`ll do that.....i need to get a spider lug wrench...been using the l-shaped wrench and that might be why i struggled with that nut...

you`re a good egg,bud....appreciate you taking the time...

PaSprint

Forum Member
Jan 2, 2007
Central PA
i`d have to take the whole wheel apart,wouldn`t i?.....calipers etc.......don`t have stands just the shitty jack that came with the jeep...

used some wd 40 on it just before dark...i was thinking about trying a dremel cutting wheel on it...

old lady just had the oil changed yesterday...also noticed that the back passenger window is half way down...looks like the regulator zapped on us....

getting nickel and dimed to death.....been a shitty month all the way around...:violin: :nooo:

Since its a Jeep (basically a chrysler product) they use those el cheapo chrome capped lugs and yes Weasie an 18 MM socket will fit perfectly. You shouldn't need to cut anything. Throw all 25 of em away and buy the solid chrome type and you'll never have that problem again.

Old School

OVR
Forum Member
Mar 19, 2006
Since its a Jeep (basically a chrysler product) they use those el cheapo chrome capped lugs and yes Weasie an 18 MM socket will fit perfectly. You shouldn't need to cut anything. Throw all 25 of em away and buy the solid chrome type and you'll never have that problem again.
:0074

gardenweasel

el guapo
Forum Member
Jan 10, 2002
"the bunker"

thanks,my man...i have a bud coming by with a decent socket set(something i need...i have parts of around 4 old sets)....

i tell ya`,those L shaped lug wrenches suck ass(i also need a spider wrench so i can torque that mother correctly..i did everything short of stand on that sucker to pry it loose)...i hope i didn`t mangle the s.o.b. too badly and and that the wd-40 does some loosening over night....

and you are 100% correct...those lugs suck ....

again,appreciate the help from yourself and morris......i feel a little better about freeing that bastard up tomorrow....then i`ll only be on the hook for a new spare and a regulator(groan :0071 !).....

PaSprint

Forum Member
Jan 2, 2007
Central PA
thanks,my man...i have a bud coming by with a decent socket set(something i need...i have parts of around 4 old sets)....

i tell ya`,those L shaped lug wrenches suck ass(i also need a spider wrench so i can torque that mother correctly..i did everything short of stand on that sucker to pry it loose)...i hope i didn`t mangle the s.o.b. too badly and and that the wd-40 does some loosening over night....

and you are 100% correct...those lugs suck ....

again,appreciate the help from yourself and morris......i feel a little better about freeing that bastard up tomorrow....then i`ll only be on the hook for a new spare and a regulator(groan :0071 !).....

The lug should come off with an 18mm. The only way it will not is if the threads are bitched up and/or its crossthreaded.
If its crossthreaded, you are only semi-fucked. Then find a buddy or someone that has an impact gun... something with enough power to break the stud off.
Then is when the "hardest" part comes. Actually, for anyone with mechanical ability, this is not a hard task. You'll need to remove the brake caliper and the caliper bracket. The rotor just slides off after that (may need a whack or two with a hammer if its rusted fast). The broken stud can be tapped out of the hub with a hammer with ease. The new stud can be drawn in with a lug nut (I suggest buying a cheap $1.99 acorn nut to do this instead of bitching up your new chrome lugs) DO NOT use a torch or you will just make a mess of your aluminum wheel (assuming thats what is on it)
I have the ALLDATA program. If you have access to a fax, get my email from Jack and I can fax you a detailed repair procedure to aid you.

Hope this helps. :0008

gardenweasel

el guapo
Forum Member
Jan 10, 2002
"the bunker"
well,the 18mm socket didn`t cut it.....the nut is pretty much rounded and it looks like it`ll have to be cut off and the stud replaced......that sucker is pretty much fused on there....

with a new tire i`m looking at something around 3-400 beans......

been a great month......:142squint

Morris

Tent Maker
Forum Member
Aug 23, 2002
Above the Clouds....
well,the 18mm socket didn`t cut it.....the nut is pretty much rounded and it looks like it`ll have to be cut off and the stud replaced......that sucker is pretty much fused on there....

with a new tire i`m looking at something around 3-400 beans......

been a great month......:142squint

Can you get a set of vice grips on it? You won't have much leverage but it might break free.

gardenweasel

el guapo
Forum Member
Jan 10, 2002
"the bunker"
Can you get a set of vice grips on it? You won't have much leverage but it might break free.

nah..i tried.....they were too recessed.....not enough room...i tried those wacky, long sockets with the hole at the end to stick a metal bar through(i swear i could almost hear the nut laughing at me)...

just got it back....$301....

after i drop it for service and get home,the guy calls me back and says,"you didn`t tell me the nut edges were rounded off"......i told him,"why the hell do you think i brought it to you?"....:lol:

now the g`d` regulator for the window should be another $300 or so.....

a lousy flat tire turns into an f`ing fiasco....:facepalm:

MadJack

Administrator
Staff member
Forum Admin
Super Moderators
Channel Owner
Jul 13, 1999
home
nah..i tried.....they were too recessed.....not enough room...i tried those wacky, long sockets with the hole at the end to stick a metal bar through(i swear i could almost hear the nut laughing at me)...

just got it back....$301....

after i drop it for service and get home,the guy calls me back and says,"you didn`t tell me the nut edges were rounded off"......i told him,"why the hell do you think i brought it to you?"....:lol:

now the g`d` regulator for the window should be another $300 or so.....

a lousy flat tire turns into an f`ing fiasco....:facepalm:

:lol:

MadJack

Administrator
Staff member
Forum Admin
Super Moderators
Channel Owner
Jul 13, 1999
home
Like the $19.95 oil change at Meineke turns into a $750 deal for the house. :facepalm:

gardenweasel

el guapo
Forum Member
Jan 10, 2002
"the bunker"
Like the $19.95 oil change at Meineke turns into a $750 deal for the house. :facepalm:

i`m eatin` pizza tonight...a WHOLE F-CKING PIZZA BY MYSELF....AND THEN MAYBE SOME PISTACHIOS....

and watching the ufc......hunkering down in the bunker....

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/q37bFR1Gmio?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Bet on MyBookie