The run for Indiana State Championship - HS Football

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

bsucards

BSU Cards
Forum Member
Sep 1, 2003
New Palestine Indiana
From the local paper

NEW PALESTINE ? There was nothing particularly special about the play call.

Chaz Hill?s 64-yard touchdown run against Beech Grove was designed as a standard fake handoff to his running back. But, Hill, the third New Palestine quarterback to play in that sectional championship game Nov. 7, found a hole in the Hornets? defense and scored the Dragons? 12th touchdown of the night, midway through the fourth quarter.

Reserve running back Jeff Wilcher notched the Dragons? final touchdown ? and only third of the second half ? to complete an 83-20 victory.

Then, the rumblings began.

?After we beat Beech Grove I think a lot of people ? were accusing us of running the score up on for our own statistics and purposes and whatever,? New Palestine head coach Kyle Ralph said.

?I?ve always given the same answer: You can look at our scores and watch our film and see that most of our starters are out by midway through the third quarter.?

Class 4A No. 2 New Palestine (13-0) will host No. 1 Columbus East (13-0) Friday in the semistate. The winner will advance to the State Finals, Nov. 28 at 3:30 p.m. at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis vs. the Northridge-New Prairie semistate winner.

Neither Ralph nor his Columbus East counterpart, Bob Gaddis, is expecting a blowout Friday. A close contest would mark a first for both teams this season.

The average New Palestine score this fall is 57-6. Columbus East?s typical outcome is 56-10.

In his 14th year with the Olympians, Gaddis? teams are a dominant 148-29 ? including last season?s state championship ? with lopsided scores the norm.

He, too, has heard the complaints.

?It?s a great problem to have,? Gaddis said. ?But it is something you have to deal with. We?ve had that situation for the last couple of years.

?So I understand completely what coach Ralph is going through. I don?t think there?s any magic way you can deal with it. You just have to do what you think is best for your team without being poor sports.?

During the regular season, each coach commented their options for making substitutions are somewhat restricted.

Per Indiana High School Athletic Association rules, football players are limited to five total quarters per week, whether that be junior varsity or varsity games.

So, a JV player (and a likely varsity backup) who competed in four quarters during the JV game on a Monday can?t enter the Friday night varsity contest until the fourth quarter.

?That?s for the safety of the kids so you?re not overworking a kid or burning a kid out,? said Ralph, in his second year with the Dragons. ?The more quarters a kid plays, the more susceptible to injuries, because his body can?t recover. Only allowing a kid to play five quarters in a week keeps the kid safe, and we go by that.?

Two weeks prior to New Palestine?s program record 83-point tally against Beech Grove (which was aided by five Hornets fumbles), Columbus East dotted South Dearborn 82-13 in the Sectional 23 opener.

The Olympians registered 27 points in the third quarter, then didn?t score against South Dearborn in the final quarter. Markell Jones, Columbus East?s Mr. Football candidate, had only 11 carries on the night. In two other games this season ? even with a new state record for single-season rushing yards in sight ? Jones tallied just nine attempts because the game was well in hand.

Jones eventually set that state record, despite sitting out much of the second half of his team?s games.

?I think just for sportsmanship, you?ve got to try to make a decision of when you?re going to get your kids out,? Gaddis said. ?But also, you?ve got to play them enough to be ready for a four-quarter physical game like Friday night?s going to be.

?It?s a fine line. And we?ve been there and we?ve tried to do our best and show good sportsmanship and take kids out of the game, but you?ve got to make sure you?re ready. Because they?ve invested a lot into it to try to reach their goals as a team.?

James Young, the Dragons? starting running back, recently became the first New Palestine player with back-to-back 1,000-yard rushing seasons since 2002-03. Quarterback Alex Neligh is the fourth Dragon to throw for over 2,000 yards in a season.

Those, and a variety of other New Palestine individual marks, have been reached this season despite the players? limited game action. Against Beech Grove, for example, Neligh threw one pass in the second half and Young had two carries.

And due to their dominant defenses, Columbus East and New Palestine have found themselves scoring even when they don?t have the ball.

?You look at our scores on paper and you?re like, ?Geez, these are out of control,?? Ralph said. ?But some of the things are bad punt snaps in the end zone that we recover or fumbling the ball on their own five-yard line. Those are things that are kind of self-inflicted wounds that we?ve capitalized on. The scoreboard adds up pretty quickly when those types of things happen.?

Ralph noted that of his team?s 744 points this season, only 85 have been scored in the fourth quarter.

?We?re not scoring tons of points in the fourth quarter and running it up on people,? he said. ?If our JV kids score, then our JV kids score. That?s not really our problem if our sophomores are scoring touchdowns against juniors and seniors.?

Tale of the tape

GAME TIME: 7 p.m.

BROADCAST: IHSAAtv.org; WFNI 1070 The Fan

COACHES: Bob Gaddis, 148-29 in 14th year at Columbus East, 266-129 in 36th year overall. Kyle Ralph, 26-1 in second year at New Palestine.

PPG: Columbus East 55.8 offense, 9.7 defense; New Palestine 57.2 offense, 6.3 defense.

SAGARIN RATINGS: Columbus East, 95.01, 6th overall, 2nd in Class 4A.; New Palestine, 96.71, 5th overall, 1st in Class 4A.

OPPONENTS? RECORDS: Columbus East 64-75, New Palestine 66-76.

SERIES LAST 30 YEARS: Columbus East, 1-0.

LAST MEETING: Columbus East, 49-14, Nov. 22, 2013, semistate.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

bsucards

BSU Cards
Forum Member
Sep 1, 2003
New Palestine Indiana
Do Dragons have a shot vs. Olympians? Absolutely

Do they have a shot?

It?s a question thrown around by football fans across the state this week leading up to New Palestine?s semistate matchup against top-ranked Columbus East on Friday night.

Normally, in a 1 vs. 2 scenario, there?s no doubt that either team could come out on top. But, given Columbus East?s 49-14 blowout win over the current 4A No. 2 Dragons in this game a year ago ? when, as is the case this time around, both teams entered undefeated at 13-0 ? it?s fair to wonder just how realistic are the Dragons? chances at victory.

New Palestine, of course, believes it has a shot. They don?t strike me as the type of guys to be intimidated, regardless of last year?s season-ender in Columbus.

I?m leaning toward predicting a home team triumph, because the Dragons have a few things in their favor as we approach the rematch:

Defend the castle

Playing in Columbus, the Olympians jumped to a 21-0 first-quarter lead over the Dragons last season and controlled the remainder of the action.

Being at home Friday is ?huge,? according to New Palestine head coach Kyle Ralph.

?It was a tough bus ride last year,? he said. ?The weather conditions were miserable. Even though we played on the road a whole bunch, it was really just a hard circumstance.

?It?s just nice not to have to get on a bus again for what would be the fourth time in these playoffs and drive somewhere. So it?s nice to kind of stay in the comfort at home.?

New Palestine wrapped up sectional and regional titles at Beech Grove and Roncalli, respectively, and opened the state tourney at Muncie Central. A sectional semifinal game vs. New Castle at Kelso Stadium marks the Dragons? lonefriendly confines matchup, so far.

In the Dragons? last big game at home, Chatard showed up to New Palestine for the 2013 regional, ran down the Dragons? sideline during the pregame ? a no-no ? and set a sledgehammer down at midfield.

Ralph was not amused. And his fired up Dragons went on to a 27-14 win.

A master motivator, Ralph will have his players ready to go on Friday. A 21-0 hole seems unlikely.

?Our kids respond really well to playing at home,? said Ralph, who immediately after beating Beech Grove to win the sectional reminded his charges that New Palestine was 0-6 all-time against Roncalli. ?We play well on the road, but I think playing on your home field is a little different incentive. The first time in the school?s history we?ve ever had a semistate at home, and that makes it all the more special and meaningful for the kids.?

Interestingly, by the luck of the draw, of Columbus East?s 10 postseason games the last two seasons, only three have been on the road.

The Olympians set a season low for points scored two weeks ago at East Central in a 28-9 sectional final win. It was the first occasion all year Columbus East looked mortal.

?I?m a little concerned about the weather,? Columbus East coach Bob Gaddis said Tuesday. ?It?s kind of been where we haven?t gotten those crowds, those atmospheres that the kids deserve to play in because of the daggone weather. I hope it?s a nice enough evening to get people out there to enjoy a good high school football game.?

I?m not sure how many fans Columbus will bring to Southern Hancock County on Friday ? high of 30 degrees forecasted with zero percent chance of precipitation ? but if the entire town of New Palestine isn?t on hand, I?ll be shocked.

Jones, but no Cowan

With statistically the best running back to ever don an Indiana high school football uniform at its disposal, Columbus East could take its act to a prison yard and still come out on top.

Markell Jones (Purdue) is averaging 260 yards rushing per game and 12.2 yards per carry. The Olympians? senior back (5-foot-10, 205 pounds) carried for 307 yards against Evansville Reitz last week in the regional to set a new state record for most rushing yards in one season (3,379).

?Obviously, he?s just an unbelievable running back and football player,? Ralph said. ?Breaking the state record, which is a remarkable achievement, just speaks volumes to not only how good he is, but how good the guys in front of him blocking are, and have been the last couple years.?

Columbus East senior guards Devorus Lewis (5-11, 285) and Joey Bastian (6-3, 270) anchor an offensive line that helped Jones accumulate 286 yards on 40 carries in their semistate win over the Dragons last season.

New Palestine entered that game, however, also concerned about then-senior quarterback Alex Cowan, who went on to rush for two touchdowns and 55 yards against the Dragons, then scrambled for 143 yards (Jones had 199) and two touchdowns in a 28-27 State Finals win over Fort Wayne Dwenger.

Although he?s the team?s second-leading rusher, current East quarterback K.J. McCarter isn?t the same type of effective option threat as his predecessor.

Also of note, the Olympians? leading receiver last season had 34 receptions and nearly 700 yards. Their top wideout this fall has 20 catches and about half the yards.

Columbus East?s offense is a one-man show. He?s a heck of a man, but New Palestine has clearly identified the threat and, in theory, should be able to duplicate the performance of the East Central defense, which limited Jones to 193 yards on 35 carries.

Bigger, stronger, faster

There?s hardly a competitive sports team on the planet that doesn?t have a strength and conditioning program, but I constantly hear anecdotal evidence of New Palestine?s weight-room domination.

These dudes apparently hit the bench press and squat rack like it?s their job.

Have they transformed their bodies enough in the last 12 months to match the Olympians? power and speed? We?ll find out Friday.

I do know New Palestine is healthier than last November, when then-senior quarterback Blake Luker spent the week leading up the semistate in a walking boot nursing a severely sprained ankle. The Dragons? single-season and career record holder for total offense, the wounded Luker was a sitting duck in Columbus, sacked to the tune of -12 total rushing yards.

New Palestine also juggled a handful of lineup changes around an injured line over the course of last season.

The 2014 Dragons are remarkably healthy for a football team at this stage of the calendar.

Gaddis has noticed the Dragons? progress on film.

?They play really well together as a team,? said the East coach, now in his 14th year in Columbus and 36th year overall. ?You can tell that they?ve spent time together and trained together and played together. I think they?re a very sound football team.?

New Palestine carries a state-best 57.2 points per game offensive average and state-leading 6.3 points per game allowed defensive net into Friday?s contest.

The Olympians are scoring 55.8 points (second only to New Palestine) and allowing a ninth-best 9.7 points.

Asked if he foresaw a high-scoring or low-scoring semistate game, Ralph said there were too many factors in play to make a guess.

?The playoffs are always so unpredictable,? he commented. ?Last year, I don?t think I would have said we could have been beaten that bad. Anything can happen.

?So, I don?t know what it will look like, but something?s going to give. It?s the state?s two best offenses and two of the best defenses going head to head, so one of the sides is going to have to bend. Hopefully it?s not going to be us.?

This one is indeed difficult to predict. So, I won?t. But do the Dragons have a chance? Yes. A very real one.

Brian Harmon is the Daily Reporter sports editor. Contact him at (317) 477-3227 or at bharmon@greenfieldreporter.com or via Twitter @GDRsports.

bsucards

BSU Cards
Forum Member
Sep 1, 2003
New Palestine Indiana
Jack and Rolltide what is the plan for tomorrow?

Where are we tailgating at? We can do it at my house less than 2 minutes from the stadium or we can freeze our ass off at the stadium.:shrug:

MadJack

Administrator
Staff member
Forum Admin
Super Moderators
Channel Owner
Jul 13, 1999
home
From the local paper

NEW PALESTINE ? There was nothing particularly special about the play call.

Chaz Hill?s 64-yard touchdown run against Beech Grove was designed as a standard fake handoff to his running back. But, Hill, the third New Palestine quarterback to play in that sectional championship game Nov. 7, found a hole in the Hornets? defense and scored the Dragons? 12th touchdown of the night, midway through the fourth quarter.

Reserve running back Jeff Wilcher notched the Dragons? final touchdown ? and only third of the second half ? to complete an 83-20 victory.

Then, the rumblings began.

?After we beat Beech Grove I think a lot of people ? were accusing us of running the score up on for our own statistics and purposes and whatever,? New Palestine head coach Kyle Ralph said.

?I?ve always given the same answer: You can look at our scores and watch our film and see that most of our starters are out by midway through the third quarter.?

Class 4A No. 2 New Palestine (13-0) will host No. 1 Columbus East (13-0) Friday in the semistate. The winner will advance to the State Finals, Nov. 28 at 3:30 p.m. at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis vs. the Northridge-New Prairie semistate winner.

Neither Ralph nor his Columbus East counterpart, Bob Gaddis, is expecting a blowout Friday. A close contest would mark a first for both teams this season.

The average New Palestine score this fall is 57-6. Columbus East?s typical outcome is 56-10.

In his 14th year with the Olympians, Gaddis? teams are a dominant 148-29 ? including last season?s state championship ? with lopsided scores the norm.

He, too, has heard the complaints.

?It?s a great problem to have,? Gaddis said. ?But it is something you have to deal with. We?ve had that situation for the last couple of years.

?So I understand completely what coach Ralph is going through. I don?t think there?s any magic way you can deal with it. You just have to do what you think is best for your team without being poor sports.?

During the regular season, each coach commented their options for making substitutions are somewhat restricted.

Per Indiana High School Athletic Association rules, football players are limited to five total quarters per week, whether that be junior varsity or varsity games.

So, a JV player (and a likely varsity backup) who competed in four quarters during the JV game on a Monday can?t enter the Friday night varsity contest until the fourth quarter.

?That?s for the safety of the kids so you?re not overworking a kid or burning a kid out,? said Ralph, in his second year with the Dragons. ?The more quarters a kid plays, the more susceptible to injuries, because his body can?t recover. Only allowing a kid to play five quarters in a week keeps the kid safe, and we go by that.?

Two weeks prior to New Palestine?s program record 83-point tally against Beech Grove (which was aided by five Hornets fumbles), Columbus East dotted South Dearborn 82-13 in the Sectional 23 opener.

The Olympians registered 27 points in the third quarter, then didn?t score against South Dearborn in the final quarter. Markell Jones, Columbus East?s Mr. Football candidate, had only 11 carries on the night. In two other games this season ? even with a new state record for single-season rushing yards in sight ? Jones tallied just nine attempts because the game was well in hand.

Jones eventually set that state record, despite sitting out much of the second half of his team?s games.

?I think just for sportsmanship, you?ve got to try to make a decision of when you?re going to get your kids out,? Gaddis said. ?But also, you?ve got to play them enough to be ready for a four-quarter physical game like Friday night?s going to be.

?It?s a fine line. And we?ve been there and we?ve tried to do our best and show good sportsmanship and take kids out of the game, but you?ve got to make sure you?re ready. Because they?ve invested a lot into it to try to reach their goals as a team.?

James Young, the Dragons? starting running back, recently became the first New Palestine player with back-to-back 1,000-yard rushing seasons since 2002-03. Quarterback Alex Neligh is the fourth Dragon to throw for over 2,000 yards in a season.

Those, and a variety of other New Palestine individual marks, have been reached this season despite the players? limited game action. Against Beech Grove, for example, Neligh threw one pass in the second half and Young had two carries.

And due to their dominant defenses, Columbus East and New Palestine have found themselves scoring even when they don?t have the ball.

?You look at our scores on paper and you?re like, ?Geez, these are out of control,?? Ralph said. ?But some of the things are bad punt snaps in the end zone that we recover or fumbling the ball on their own five-yard line. Those are things that are kind of self-inflicted wounds that we?ve capitalized on. The scoreboard adds up pretty quickly when those types of things happen.?

Ralph noted that of his team?s 744 points this season, only 85 have been scored in the fourth quarter.

?We?re not scoring tons of points in the fourth quarter and running it up on people,? he said. ?If our JV kids score, then our JV kids score. That?s not really our problem if our sophomores are scoring touchdowns against juniors and seniors.?

Tale of the tape

GAME TIME: 7 p.m.

BROADCAST: IHSAAtv.org; WFNI 1070 The Fan

COACHES: Bob Gaddis, 148-29 in 14th year at Columbus East, 266-129 in 36th year overall. Kyle Ralph, 26-1 in second year at New Palestine.

PPG: Columbus East 55.8 offense, 9.7 defense; New Palestine 57.2 offense, 6.3 defense.

SAGARIN RATINGS: Columbus East, 95.01, 6th overall, 2nd in Class 4A.; New Palestine, 96.71, 5th overall, 1st in Class 4A.

OPPONENTS? RECORDS: Columbus East 64-75, New Palestine 66-76.

SERIES LAST 30 YEARS: Columbus East, 1-0.

LAST MEETING: Columbus East, 49-14, Nov. 22, 2013, semistate.

Good read. I'm really looking forward to tomorrow night. I think East wins but I'm a little biased. This game is definitely the toughest contest for both teams this year. Going to State Championship at Lucas Oil is a real treat and I hope we can do it again this year.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

MadJack

Administrator
Staff member
Forum Admin
Super Moderators
Channel Owner
Jul 13, 1999
home
Jack and Rolltide what is the plan for tomorrow?

Where are we tailgating at? We can do it at my house less than 2 minutes from the stadium or we can freeze our ass off at the stadium.:shrug:

My wife wants to head up that way early and go to dinner somewhere before the game. And, she's wanting to follow a caravan up that way so unless I get out of that I'm going to be with Olympian fans prior to game time. Much rather have a few warm-up shots prior to the game with you guys so will keep you posted. Maybe be able to fit everything in.

What's a good place to eat near there that's not a chain?

MadJack

Administrator
Staff member
Forum Admin
Super Moderators
Channel Owner
Jul 13, 1999
home
Is this game going to be streamed live? If so please post a link.

:0008

RollTide72

June 8, 2013
Forum Member
Apr 4, 2002
Greenfield, IN
www.facebook.com
Jackson, I'm assuming that y'all will be coming up 65 to 465 and then down 52 to New Pal so your best bet will be to get off at Greenwood, Southport Road or Beech Grove exits. Plenty of places to eat (although mostly chains). Only places in New Pal are Round the Corner Pub and a Mexican joint (and McDonald's). I guarantee both will be packed well before y'all can make it into town. I'm leaving straight from my office and will more than likely meet up with BSU at his house. Going to be absolutely crazy tomorrow night. Biggest home game ever for the Dragons. Never hosted a semi-state before. NPHS is 1-2 in semi-states losing at Zionsville ('87 I believe) and last year at East. Lone win was in 1990 at Tell City. I need to go by the high school this afternoon and pick up a ticket. BSU, we can just have a few snacks and a few adult beverages before we head over to the high school. Parking is going to be a nightmare for sure. About a 2 mile walk from your house would you say?

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg
MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

MadJack

Administrator
Staff member
Forum Admin
Super Moderators
Channel Owner
Jul 13, 1999
home
Columbus East 4A Rank 2 (13-0) (725-126) +5.5 +200ML
New Palestine 4A Rank 1 (13-0) (744-82) -5.5 -230ML
Final Score Projection
New Palestine 36 Columbus East 31

Schedule Rank:
Columbus East 114
New Palestine 130

Columbus East has the leading rusher Indiana State all time record for yards in one year.

Sagarin Ratings:

http://sagarin.com/sports/hsfsend.htm

MaxPreps:

http://www.maxpreps.com/games/footb...lestine/11-21-2014-HoqDS883D0Wz3m3_03WEqA.htm

I still think Columbus East takes the game and I would take the +5.5 and the ML +200.

Any takers?

The winner goes to the State Championship.

Both teams met in this game last year with Columbus East winning easily at home then going on to win the State Championship.

This is the rematch with New Palestine hosting the game that's about an hour and 10 minutes from Columbus.

Sweet, what's the line on this game......:0corn

:0corn

MadJack

Administrator
Staff member
Forum Admin
Super Moderators
Channel Owner
Jul 13, 1999
home
Ranked higher and getting 5.5 point, what type of scam are you running here Buckwheat......:0corn

They are ranked higher, scored more points, gave up less points, and are home. :shrug:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

MadJack

Administrator
Staff member
Forum Admin
Super Moderators
Channel Owner
Jul 13, 1999
home
Oh, so you're already maxed out......damn shame, love to blister you on a High School game.....:0003

I'll do pick. I have 2 bets so far, Smurph and a hat bet with Skipper.

Name your poison. I'm only taking the Olympians, not betting against them.

:0008