Time to fire Staley

LordofBalls

Forum Member
Aug 31, 2006
California
I've been a chargers fan over 45 years (rams for 60), and I still have a college friend that texts me during their games and he's been on the "fire Staley" soapbox for the last month... and again during most of the game and again this morning lol

my response is, who are you going to replace him with?
John Harbaugh isn't leaving.. Jim might be interested but is he really the guy you want?
Staley as defensive coordinator has not been stellar.. he came from Sean McVay's staff on rams after their early successes..
but to say the chargers have been improving each year is a big stretch which I can't won't make..

A few things I notice watching them (and losing $$$ on em) each week:
*during crucial 4th qtr scenarios, chargers offensive lines give up sacks - usually failing to pick up blitzing LBs or DBs...
time.. after time.. after time untouched blitzers!
*Herbert seems to be more nervous/anxious during games this yr than previous yrs..
possibly feeling too much pressure to "save the ship" .. the stress does not improve his play.
*Herbert often seems to throw the ball "Too Hard" on the short pass routes, leading to a few drops/gm.. not good
*Herbert also seems to hold the ball too long, too often resulting in stripsacks or just sacks..
although last night he finally took off and got 35 yard run leading to their late score.. finally!
*Defensive backs play too "soft".. leaving too much cushion for WRs to get 3-5 yd completions..
*Defense in 4th qtr finds ways to fail in crucial situations.. happd vs Lions few wks ago, as they repeatedly completed 4th down passes...
and again last night with the missed tackle on the spread clinching TD late in the 4th..

mistakes happen.. I know that.
but when they happen repeatedly game after game, after 2+ seasons...
and it leads to all these ridiculously close losses.. the team doesn't seem to be able to get over the hump w/this issue..
whatever the issue is..

I think Sean Peyton would've been perfect for developing Herbert.. but if he's not available, who's the next best?

Reactions: MadJack

rocky mountain

Forum Member
Sep 24, 2005
I've been a chargers fan over 45 years (rams for 60), and I still have a college friend that texts me during their games and he's been on the "fire Staley" soapbox for the last month... and again during most of the game and again this morning lol

my response is, who are you going to replace him with?
John Harbaugh isn't leaving.. Jim might be interested but is he really the guy you want?
Staley as defensive coordinator has not been stellar.. he came from Sean McVay's staff on rams after their early successes..
but to say the chargers have been improving each year is a big stretch which I can't won't make..

A few things I notice watching them (and losing $$$ on em) each week:
*during crucial 4th qtr scenarios, chargers offensive lines give up sacks - usually failing to pick up blitzing LBs or DBs...
time.. after time.. after time untouched blitzers!
*Herbert seems to be more nervous/anxious during games this yr than previous yrs..
possibly feeling too much pressure to "save the ship" .. the stress does not improve his play.
*Herbert often seems to throw the ball "Too Hard" on the short pass routes, leading to a few drops/gm.. not good
*Herbert also seems to hold the ball too long, too often resulting in stripsacks or just sacks..
although last night he finally took off and got 35 yard run leading to their late score.. finally!
*Defensive backs play too "soft".. leaving too much cushion for WRs to get 3-5 yd completions..
*Defense in 4th qtr finds ways to fail in crucial situations.. happd vs Lions few wks ago, as they repeatedly completed 4th down passes...
and again last night with the missed tackle on the spread clinching TD late in the 4th..

mistakes happen.. I know that.
but when they happen repeatedly game after game, after 2+ seasons...
and it leads to all these ridiculously close losses.. the team doesn't seem to be able to get over the hump w/this issue..
whatever the issue is..

I think Sean Peyton would've been perfect for developing Herbert.. but if he's not available, who's the next best?
I think your words above are spot on. They're not clutch ballers that know how to win and they freeze up time after time in critical junctures. Just as winning is contagious , losing becomes branded with players , playing this way. Nothing worse then playing the last quarter afraid to make the play to seal the victory, or expecting the next bad thing to happen. They need some serious personnel changes getting players/coaches from winning organizations to show them the way to play on the toes not their heels.
Sincerely, Captain Obvious..

Last edited:
Reactions: MadJack
MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

T

Casa Bonita Cliff Diver
Forum Member
Sep 1, 2012
Harbaugh if he leaves should go to Vegas

Bet on MyBookie