Volvo Masters

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

Ian

Forum Member
Sep 18, 2000
Exeter UK
www.sportsbettingindex.com
Ah - but at least I always start them with a few tips!
Bit of a fun bet the first one - some might remember Charlie Wi from the Malaysian Open - 3rd place at 100/1 2 shots behind Singh and Harrington
smile.gif
, since then he has improved a great deal winning 3 times on the Asian tour including his last 2 outings - just can't resist the 250/1 from Victor Chandler - there is no way he should be the same price as Seve!

DOGS THAT BARK

Forum Member
Jul 13, 1999
Bowling Green Ky
Just wanted to say thanks for everyones input into forum this past season.It was very educational and of great benefit to me to see the knowledgable posts by each of you.
Would be totally lost on Euro tour without our cappers from across the creek.Special thanks to Stan for making the stats on his site available and always taking the time to answer questions I forward regardless of how stupid they may be.Not as bad as a couple of years ago,eh Stan.Do miss Clives site but anicipating him making up for it with more frequent posts
wink.gif
,visit Ian's weekly to kick the tires and Bettingsmads occasionally for rebutles
smile.gif
Quite an impressive list of Euro cappers here period.Think Buck,Dawgball and myself are minorities. big CHEERS to each and every one of you.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

AussieVamp2

Forum Member
Jan 23, 2000
well, I guess you are a minority if there are more guys from Levin, NZ around than there are from your whole country

smile.gif

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

bettingmad

Forum Member
Feb 27, 2001
Yorkshire, UK
www.bettingmad.com
Never been a big fan (his toys are flung out of his pram too often) but 16/1 Montgomerie at Heathorns looks big for a European event.
Had an inconsistent year, but with 3 wins, it's still a lot better than most can manage.
Won this event at Valderrama but reasonable finishes here of 9, 16, 3 & 8. Finished strongly to be 5th at the Dunhill Links last time out.

DOGS THAT BARK

Forum Member
Jul 13, 1999
Bowling Green Ky
Correct AV
biggrin.gif
and I said it elsewhere have yet to meet a punter from NZ that is not sharp as a tack.Not much on travel but believe the day will come that I may pay that fine country a visit.In fact if situations in states continue to regress it may be permanant.
smile.gif

Cartman88

Forum Member
Feb 3, 2001
Gold Coast Australia
Originally posted by AussieVamp2:
well, I guess you are a minority if there are more guys from Levin, NZ around than there are from your whole country

One thing I never thought I would hear in my lifetime is a comparison between Levin and America !!!!

smile.gif

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Cartman88

Forum Member
Feb 3, 2001
Gold Coast Australia
Speaking of "Down Under" the Australasian Tour gets under way next week and hopefully there should be some handy local knowledge.

The first event from Nov 15 to 18 is the Australian PGA Championship played at Royal Queensland in Brisbane (only 1 hour from where I live).

The second event from Nov 22 to 25 is the Australian Open played at The Grand GC on the Gold Coast (only 20 mins from where I live). This is the first time the Australian Open has not been played in one of the major cities and many are saying this 6114 metre course is too short. Ernie Els and Thomas Bjorn are confirmed starters along with nearly all the top Aussie golfers.

The third event from Jan 10 to 13 is the New Zealand Open played at Paraparaumu Beach GC (only 30 mins from .. you guessed it .. Levin !!). There has been plenty of interest and controversy in this tournament already. Tiger Woods is confirmed to play as a gesture of thanks for his Kiwi caddie Steve Williams however organisers are getting greedy and were expected to charge approx $450 for a weekly pass.

The website for the Australasian Tour is www.pgatour.com.au and another good one is www.ausgolf.com.au

Ian

Forum Member
Sep 18, 2000
Exeter UK
Second selection and possibly more realistic!
Brian Davis - 13th at the Dunhill and 3rd in Madrid (possibly would have won but for one poor round) tends to hold his form well once he has found it, admittedly poor here last year (when out of sorts) has a good record of playing in Spain - I'll happily take the 80/1 from Ladbrokes

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Stanley

Registered
Forum Member
Jul 26, 1999
Manchester, England
www.tour-tips.com
Preview & outright plays:

The final event of the year for the European Tour is a gathering of the top-66 players on the Tour in southern Spain. The field is comprised of the top-55 on the current Order of Merit, the last five winners of this event and six invitees. The Order of Merit title may have been decided, but there is plenty of prestige and money?to be had from winning this important event. The roll-call of winners is impressive with last year's winner, Pierre Fulke, being the biggest outsider to win this event (50/1) in its 13-year history.

Since the event moved from Valderrama to Montecastillo, the winners have been Jimenez, Clarke, Westwood and Fulke. This will be no putting contest where a ridiculously low final round score can produce a surprise winner. This is a course for good ball-strikers. In 1998, the top-7 finishers were all placed in the top-11 of that season's greens in regulation stats. The weather has played an important effect in the other years - it was shortened to 54 holes in 1997 and rain has a been a feature in the last two years - but it is still clear from the course compatibility stats that it is good ball-strikers who dominate. This may seem surprising as much is made of the wide fairways and little rough on this Jack Nicklaus-designed course, but the big hitters have not prospered on this course - the course is a decent test of golf and needs to be at a fraction over 7000 yards - and this looks set to continue with the weather forecast being for dry conditions.

The three selections this week are Retief Goosen, Colin Montgomerie and Peter O'Malley. Can't see any reason not to stay with the Goose who won the Open de Madrid to secure the Order of Merit title and maintain his run of top-10 finishes in October. He may have wobbled when winning this title and the US Open and in losing the Trophee Lanc?me, but he consistently getting into contention and winning more than most. A runner-up in 1999, he can cap an excellent season with another strong showing this week.

Monty is a player who looks past his prime, too easily frustrated by his game these last two seasons, but he cannot be written off at all. He has won twice this season already - the Irish Open in July and the Scandinavian Masters in August - and looked to be playing well on his last outing in Dunhill Links Championship, remember he has never been a good player of links courses, so a top-5 finish was a good achievement. His game is much more suited to inland courses of this variety where he has recorded sub-par rounds on all but one occasion since the event came to Montecastillo in 1997. If he wins this week, he should finish 2nd in the Order of Merit and that is not really indicative of a player past his prime.

The final selection was a 50/1 winner earlier in the season - at the English Open - and he retains those odds for this event as well. He has proved himself to be one of the most consistent players on Tour, he finished in the top-20 of every event bar one - 29th at the Scandinavian Masters - since the Dutch Open in July and finished 5th on his last appearance, the Dunhill Links Championship. He is much less likely to win this week than at the Forest of Arden because of the quality of the field, but he does have a fine record on this course - 5th-4th-10th in the years 1997-1999 - and if the winds blows, he should be able to reproduce that form again.

Outright plays:

Retief Goosen to win 12/1 e.w. @ Heathorns
Colin Montgomerie to win 16/1 e.w. @ Heathorns
Peter O'Malley to win 50/1 e.w. @ Sportingbet

Clive

Forum Member
Apr 18, 2001
Oxford, England
www.take624.com
Well, there's a real end of season note to this post! Thanks for the kind word DTB, but IMO the season is just starting!!
Japan, Aus, SAfrica...all those players that no bookie's ever heard of...it's my favourite time of the year!
The Vovlo (that's what Betsmart call it) looks destined for the favourites, although as mentioned here, Gonzalez and O'Malley have a chance. Bet 247 were 25/1 about Bjorn, which is too big...can't muster much enthusiasm though....not after Verplank's 17th hole last week!
Save it for Japan!

Stanley

Registered
Forum Member
Jul 26, 1999
Manchester, England
www.tour-tips.com
72-hole plays:

John Bickerton to beat Mikael Lundberg -111 @ Simon Bold [3 units]
Complete mismatch. Bickerton has finished in the top-25 in three of his last four events and has played in this event before. Lundberg is here because of three top-10 finishes at the start of the season but has made the cut just four times in his last twelve events

Peter O'Malley to beat Michael Campbell +100 @ Victor Chandler
Both have good course form, but only O'Malley is in form. Campbell has played just four times since the US PGA Championship, missing the cut twice and having only one good tournament - 19th at the German Masters

Roger Wessels to beat Soren Hansen -111 @ Simon Bold
Similar contrast in form between these two. Wessels has finished in the top-10 in two of his last four events and finished 7th last year. Hansen finished 65th in the weak Open de Madrid last week, it was the first cut he had made in four starts

Fredrik Jacobson to beat Gregory Havret -111 @ Simon Bold
Standard play against a maiden Tour victor of the previous week. Enhanced by the fact that Havret was favorite to lose his Tour card until last week and Jacobson has two top-10 finishes in his last four starts and on this course last year

Paul Lawrie to beat Ian Poulter -110 @ Surrey [2 units]
Find it hard to back the very erratic Poulter. He contends or he misses the cut - two top-15 finishes and three missed cuts in his last five starts. Have to side with the solid Lawrie who fully deserved to win the Dunhill Links Championship even though that putt from the Valley of Sin was outrageous (and costly!) and has a good record on this course

Paul Lawrie to beat Adam Scott -110 @ Sports.com
Siding with Lawrie again to beat Scott who has largely disappointed since July. He has not been missing cuts in Europe, just not contending with the same degree of consistency as in the mid-summer

Paul McGinley to beat Ian Poulter -133 @ Easybets
Were McGinley able to close out events, he would be considered for outright plays, but he can't. He won the Wales Open because it was reduced to 36 holes, but that said, he has been playing some of his best-ever golf this season and fully deserved his place in the Ryder Cup team. Top-10 in his last three starts, he looks good to continue that run and beat the erratic Poulter

Paul McGinley to beat Lee Westwood -115 @ Intertops
Definitely a season to forget for Westwood and the end will not come soon enough. If he shoots sub-70 in his first round he might remain focused and battle with his swing for a decent finish. If he does not, he should have an early tee-time on Sunday and be out of Spain before the leaders tee off

turtle

Forum Member
Mar 15, 2000
Just two for me this week
Campbell +100 to beat Westwood
McGinley -115 to beat Jacquelin
Both at Camelot.

Ian

Forum Member
Sep 18, 2000
Exeter UK
Sometimes I despair with "professional" sports journalists giving tips but this made me laugh - Ian Hudson has been around for a while writing on golf betting and I must admit that I too would not back Campbell this week but ......
"Sporting and Spreadex have adjusted their maximum finishing position make-ups to 66 and at 27 Campbell looks a decent buy. He hasn't played like a top 30 player over the last six months and he has no form at Montecastillo to inspire any confidence. "
So 7th and 3rd means "no form"!!!!!!

Stanley

Registered
Forum Member
Jul 26, 1999
Manchester, England
www.tour-tips.com
Adding:

Paul McGinley to beat Raphael Jacquelin -125 @ Camelot
This has been an unbelievable year for the Frenchman. From struggling to keep his Tour card for three years, he is currently 29th in the Order of Merit and improved his scoring average by 1.5 shots. But being matched with McGinley is a big step up in class. McGinley has beaten Jacquelin in their last three common events and looks the more genuine title contender this week

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

james1073

Forum Member
Nov 6, 2001
Sevenoaks, Kent, UK
Excuse my ignorance, but I'm new around here. What are the +100 and -111 figures quoted in the posts about match bets? Are these odds quoted as percentages? I'm confused?

Stanley

Registered
Forum Member
Jul 26, 1999
Manchester, England
www.tour-tips.com
James, the odds quoted are in US moneyline terms rather than British fractions.

To understand them, if the number is negative then you have to lay more than your receive, i.e. odds on. If it is positive then you receive at least the same as you lay, i.e. evens or better.

To convert to British fractions divide the moneylines by 100 and invert the fraction if it is negative. So

+150 is 1.5 or 6/4
+110 is 1.1 or 11/10
+100 is 1.0 or evens
-110 is -1.1 or 10/11
-111 is -1.11 or 9/10
-150 is -1.5 or 4/6

For a complete table see http://www.tour-tips.com/OddsConverter.htm

Hope this helps
smile.gif