MadJack

Administrator
Staff member
Forum Admin
Super Moderators
Channel Owner
Jul 13, 1999
home
leave their starting pitchers in to give up 5 runs, 7 runs, etc, day after day after day? Look at the Orioles and Pirates so far tonight. Analytics does not fucking work for baseball. I hear Earl Weaver screaming from his grave right now. W T F ?

MadJack

Administrator
Staff member
Forum Admin
Super Moderators
Channel Owner
Jul 13, 1999
home
Pirates manager lets the starter come out for the 4th and now the Indians have 2nd and 3rd no outs. Bases loaded now.

redsfann

ale connoisseur
Forum Member
Aug 3, 1999
Somewhere in Corn Country
I hear what you’re saying, Jack.

Let me be the old guy shaking his cane at the clouds, but why doesn’t anyone play fundamental baseball any more?

Runner on 1st and 3rd in the Reds game. 1 out. Batter checks his swing, makes contact and ball bounces to the 1st baseman who’s playing in as it’s a tie game.
Fucking kid at 3rd tried to score and is thrown out easily.
I couldn’t manage these kids.. I’d suspend, cut or send most of them back to the minors for they way they play the game today. Ugh.

Reactions: boomer1
MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

ChasDee

Forum Member
Dec 14, 2011
Pirates manager lets the starter come out for the 4th and now the Indians have 2nd and 3rd no outs. Bases loaded now.
Pittsburgh starter Keller, gave up 10 hits and 8 runs, before he took him out. Sometimes the pitchers just don't have it. If I were Keller, I'd tell that manager to go fuck himself, when he finally relieved him!

MadJack

Administrator
Staff member
Forum Admin
Super Moderators
Channel Owner
Jul 13, 1999
home
Pittsburgh starter Keller, gave up 10 hits and 8 runs, before he took him out. Sometimes the pitchers just don't have it. If I were Keller, I'd tell that manager to go fuck himself, when he finally relieved him!
Just about every single manager does this. Another thing they have done that’s consistent is take pitchers out way too soon.

How many pitchers had a no hitter through 6 innings this year and got yanked?

How many relievers have gone 2+ innings of no hit pitching only to be replaced in the 9th and lose the game. They all do it over and over.

Is this analytics? Analytics does not work in certain situations.

In FB analytics might say to go for it on 4th and 2. That’s fine with Mahomes but isn’t it a different situation if Flacco is your QB? Jesus Christ!

Donsbaseball

Registered
Forum Member
Jun 22, 2015
San Diego
Good points! Lots of starters are just not very good These days. Bull pens get so taxed. I am a Padre fan and our bull pen has been awful the last month and a half. They had to pitch alot in the beginning and I think it has caught up to them or maybe they just suck!!!! Yeah dont get me started on the basic fundamentals!!! I have coached varsity baseball for 23 years and travel ball kills the fundamental side of things. Lots of players just show up to play games and not really practicing the basics! They play lots of games and get lots of reps but there is not a ton of coaching going on.
Great thread!

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

LordofBalls

Forum Member
Aug 31, 2006
California
Keller's on 1 my fantasy baseball teams... I was sooo pissed!

the guy's had a great year, but you can SEE that he didn't have his good stuff tonite..
save the bullpen mah ass!

better luck to us!

12wrench

Registered
Forum Member
May 11, 2016
NV
You bring up a great point
Hate it when managers try to “steal” a couple more outs from their starter.
Just Start the inning with fresh reliever
The RP would prefer it that way anyway instead of inheriting a bad situation
If you’re gonna pull the SP if leadoff guy gets on (or two guys in Keller’s case) just start inning with RP
Drives me nuts

mentality is like let’s see what happens if we strike this match - maybe wind will blow it out - nope - fire started - now we have to put it out

Smitty

Forum Member
Jan 5, 2005
Upstate NY
you wanna talk about fundamentals? watch these millionaires run the bases. it's pathetic. they routinely ignore the 3rd base coach. and watch how many of them, when they are heading home, turn to look for the ball. we all learned in little league that the on-deck hitter will let you know if you gotta slide.

ok, while i'm ranting, two more things. 1) i really love how the analytics say to bring the infield in with a runner on 3rd... IN THE FIRST INNING. goddamn idiots. and 2) the "oven mitts" gotta go. maybe these morons should stop sliding head first. it's slower AND makes it more difficult to pop back up in case the throw gets away. but those mitts are an unfair advantage for the runners. how many guys have been just barely safe but they gained a few inches from that mitt?

ok, this cranky old man missed his nap today.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Donsbaseball

Registered
Forum Member
Jun 22, 2015
San Diego
All very good points!!!!!! Yeah some new rules need to come into play with some of this equipment. I cannot stand the elbow guards. Shin and ankle guards etc no problem because that fucking hurts hitting the ball of your leg. They just let the ball hit them with the upper guards. Who knows but the basics are no longer present really. still LOVE our pastime!!!!

Smitty

Forum Member
Jan 5, 2005
Upstate NY
there's just so much stupid now. look at the twins... they wanted to "protect" byron buxton by making him a fulltime DH. so you have one of the most dynamic players in the game, took him out of CF, and now you have a .194 hitter.

yanno

Forum Member
Sep 8, 2001
Ontario
Why are older men so grumpy?

Why so crabby? Grumpy Old Men syndrome strikes again

Dr. Gerald Lincoln, the late award-winning endocrinologist, theorized that “Irritable Male Syndrome” (a.k.a. “andropause”) was the result of the gradual loss of the testosterone hormone in aging men. According to Dr. Lincoln, men with low testosterone tended to be impatient, sarcastic, and argumentative.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

MadJack

Administrator
Staff member
Forum Admin
Super Moderators
Channel Owner
Jul 13, 1999
home
Why are older men so grumpy?

Why so crabby? Grumpy Old Men syndrome strikes again

Dr. Gerald Lincoln, the late award-winning endocrinologist, theorized that “Irritable Male Syndrome” (a.k.a. “andropause”) was the result of the gradual loss of the testosterone hormone in aging men. According to Dr. Lincoln, men with low testosterone tended to be impatient, sarcastic, and argumentative.
:smilies4

12wrench

Registered
Forum Member
May 11, 2016
NV
you wanna talk about fundamentals? watch these millionaires run the bases. it's pathetic. they routinely ignore the 3rd base coach. and watch how many of them, when they are heading home, turn to look for the ball. we all learned in little league that the on-deck hitter will let you know if you gotta slide.

ok, while i'm ranting, two more things. 1) i really love how the analytics say to bring the infield in with a runner on 3rd... IN THE FIRST INNING. goddamn idiots. and 2) the "oven mitts" gotta go. maybe these morons should stop sliding head first. it's slower AND makes it more difficult to pop back up in case the throw gets away. but those mitts are an unfair advantage for the runners. how many guys have been just barely safe but they gained a few inches from that mitt?

ok, this cranky old man missed his nap today.
Love all of this
Infield in is sooooooo dumb before the late innings

Smitty

Forum Member
Jan 5, 2005
Upstate NY
Just about every single manager does this. Another thing they have done that’s consistent is take pitchers out way too soon.

How many pitchers had a no hitter through 6 innings this year and got yanked?
along these same lines... how 'bout taking a kid right out of the majors, when he's absolutely rolling?

Eury Perez came up with the Marlins in mid-May. In 53 innings, he gave up 41 hits and had a 2.36 ERA. In 11 starts, he gave up more than one run only 3 times. That's right, in 11 starts, he held the other team to 1 run or fewer 8 times!! He was one of my favorite bets this season. I kept waiting for his first start after the all-star break. And just noticed THEY SENT HIM DOWN TO AA!

When will these idiots learn, the more they baby these kids, the weaker they're gonna be.

Reactions: #cruncher
Bet on MyBookie