Brentwood,Tn
Letter from radio station website in Lubbock, home of the Dixie Chick
that spewed forth about our president:
Name: LT Layne McDowell
Date: 03/15/03
Time: 01:54:49 PM

Comment
An open letter to the Dixie Chicks:
Earlier this week, while performing in London, you stated that you were ashamed that our President is from your home state. I wonder if you realized how many Americans would be listening. This American was listening.
This Texan is ashamed that you come from my state. I serve my country as an officer in the United States Navy. Specifically, I fly F-14 Tomcats off carriers around the world, executing the missions that preserve the very
freedom you claim to exercise. I have proudly fought for my country in the skies over Kosovo, Iraq and Afghanistan without regret. Though I may disagree wholeheartedly with your comments, I will defend to the death your right to say them, in America. But for you to travel to a foreign land and publicly criticize our Commander in Chief is cowardice behavior. Would you have so willingly made those comments while performing for a patriotic, flag-waving crowd of Texans in Lubbock. I would imagine not. How dare you pocket profits off songs about soldiers, their deaths and patriotism while criticizing their Commander in Chief abroad, even while they prepare to give their lives to ensure your own freedom of speech. Please ask yourself, what have you done to deserve that sacrifice? Do not try to justify your comments by claiming that you made them only because you care about innocent lives.
Never once in our history have we committed troops to war for the purpose of taking innocent lives. We do it to protect innocent lives, even yours.
If the world leaders of the late 1930's had the vision and courage of our present Commander in Chief, perhaps the evil men who caused the death of millions in WWII would have never had the opportunity to harm a soul.
The potential loss of millions of lives in the future at the hands of today's evil men necessitate action. In a separate correspondence, I am returning to you each and every Dixie Chicks CD and cassette that I have ever
purchased. Never again will I allow my funds to support your behavior. All you have done is to add your name to a growing list of American "Celebrities" who have failed to realize that they have obtained their successes on the backs of the American blue-collar workers such as our servicemen and women.
To Natalie Maines: This Texan, this American will continue to risk his life to guarantee your freedoms.
What will you do to deserve it?

thekidwhocould

Forum Member
May 24, 2002
oak city
Re: A letter to the Dixie Chicks

Jhpga said:
Would you have so willingly made those comments while performing for a patriotic, flag-waving crowd of Texans in Lubbock.

lol, id love to see that

my wife and i have tickets (scalped 150 a piece) to the show in okc. i wish i would have waited till after this fiasco to buy my seats. probably could have saved quite a bit.
i really don't even want to go but, my wife HAS to go

:shrug:

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

michaeljbird

Registered
Forum Member
Oct 30, 2002
Little Rock,Ar.
I know for certain that their show scheduled for Little Rock is in danger of being cancelled.I've never been a fan myself,but I do have alot of friends and client's who WERE :violin:

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Mr Hockey

Forum Member
Mar 17, 2003
I find it ridiculous how much they are getting bashed for making a statement on how they feel which goes against the popular term of thinking of late.

marine

poker brat
Forum Member
Jul 13, 1999
Fort Worth, TX
Mr Hockey said:
I find it ridiculous how much they are getting bashed for making a statement on how they feel which goes against the popular term of thinking of late.

They waited until they were at an overseas location, and then at a live concert made the statement.

They are fine to say what they want, but now that they made their bed it is time to sleep in it.

What Natalie did was an act of cowardice. Its not about being on the right or wrong side of the issue. You go perform overseas in another country and you are an "ambassador" of the US. Try and f*cking act like it.

If I were in the crowd I woulda been pissed. I paid money to see them play music, not tell me what they think of the Pres.

Dont feel pity for them, they brought it on themselves.

Mr Hockey

Forum Member
Mar 17, 2003
marine said:

They waited until they were at an overseas location, and then at a live concert made the statement.

They are fine to say what they want, but now that they made their bed it is time to sleep in it.

What Natalie did was an act of cowardice. Its not about being on the right or wrong side of the issue. You go perform overseas in another country and you are an "ambassador" of the US. Try and f*cking act like it.

If I were in the crowd I woulda been pissed. I paid money to see them play music, not tell me what they think of the Pres.

Dont feel pity for them, they brought it on themselves.

What rule says they are a US ambassador because they were playing overseas? Someone felt that way & decided to express their opinion & whether I agree with someone's opinion or not I will support the fact they have a right to it & to express it when they want as long as it isn't done in an illegal way which it wasn't.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

marine

poker brat
Forum Member
Jul 13, 1999
Fort Worth, TX
Exactly,
they have a right to voice their opinions,
and the rest of the american public has the same right.
Guess what? People are using it to not support the Dixie Chicks.

Its the exact same deal. Only difference is that her opinion cost her untold millions.

You can voice your opinion, you can say what you want. But when you open your mouth you better be able to stick to what you say and hold to it. Many americans are doing that... when they say hell no to the dixie chicks.

As for the ambassador term.. thats why i put it in quotes.. they really are not ambassadors, more like representatives of the country. Hell everyone is in some fashion. When joe public takes a trip to some foreign country he is representing america to that country whether he wants to or not.

StevieD

Forum Member
Jun 18, 2002
Boston
I worry when the public airways and print media are used by other celebs to organize boycotts against those who express an opinion different than theirs. How dare they pretend to know how a soldier who died in a previous war would think on this war!

ELVIS

Forum Member
Sep 25, 2002
memphis
far too many of our entertainers abuse their popularity by expressing their political opinions. if they have an opinion they should protest w/letters,march,etc. when they use their stage at a concert, it is the typical hollywood"holier than thou" arrogance that is expected from the leftist priveleged. it is uncalled for and unprodutive. if these multi-millionaires really wanted to help they could do some research on the topic. i wish they would never sell another record but they will. anyway, F!@# that young lady,and i hope that she will one day change her opinion, and learn some respect for a man that probably sleeps less in a week than she does in a day.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

StevieD

Forum Member
Jun 18, 2002
Boston
Elvis, you seem to be of the opinion that only those on the Left have no right to speak. Should those on the Right shut-up to? Or just those who don't agree with you?

ELVIS

Forum Member
Sep 25, 2002
memphis
they have the right to speak. it is just interesting how they do it. arnold schwarzenegger is a right winger, but his opinions are so differently expressed as the more volatile martin sheen. my basic problem is w/ those in hollywood who express their disdane for our gov. a society and gov that gives them the privelege (to yes express themselves) and affords them the oppurtunity to earn a living that far surpasses the average american. furthermore, if you want to criticize the pres. go right ahead, but do not take a cheap shot overseas. in the mean time i will sit at home, i will hope my president stays well, i will hope that we lose as few troops as possible, and i will thank God that i live in the greatest country in the world. a country that protects the rights of those that do not appreciate the oppurtunity to live here.

marine

poker brat
Forum Member
Jul 13, 1999
Fort Worth, TX
ALL stupid people should shut up.

But, looking at the track record, it would appear throughout the history of stupidest things ever said, the majority of them come from the left. The right makes some dumb statements, but they seem to not spout off nearly as much or as irresponsibly as the left.

How's that old saying go?

Better to keep your mouth shout and let people think you are a dumb@ss, than open it up and prove them right.

My personal opinion on it all, its not about party lines, its about people making @sses of themselves in public forums. Its annoying and I am sick of hearing it on a daily basis.

I dont hate em cuz they are on one side of the line or the other, I hate em cuz they are annoying and assinine.

S

S-Love

Hey Mr (chuckle) Hockey-

why the name change? get booted as TCSN one too many times? I see you keep following my posts- nice to see you're my number one fan.

Why is it when I see one of your assinine posts the numbers 2 and 16 pop into my head?:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

PS- what did the T and N stand for? the CS was easy (gulp)

broondog

Forum Member
Sep 10, 2002
Melbourne,Kentucky
Celebrities are babbling IDIOTS!!! Musical, theatrical, artistic talents do not allow a person the right to spout off on political issues. Their inflated egos on the other hand I guess, does. I find it hard to believe that any of the Dixie Chicks or Michael Moore have been to Iraq, therefore I doubt they have the insight to know what life in a country ruled by a madman is like. On the other hand they do live in a country that allows them to publicly criticize their president . If they tried that in "President" Hussein's country they'd be dead or not have use of their critical tongues

Blazer

ontherocks
Forum Member
Jan 4, 2003
Nashville
www.madjacksports.com
Dixie

Dixie

Given, being in the public eye is hard.

There is a trade-off here. Celebrity and Wealth for Personal Privacy and Free Speech.

If you are a "public figure" such as the Dixie Chick and (insert any actor here) you have a public image to uphold. This image helps you promote movies, sell records, and basically keeps you employed. The person who should be blamed is her PR guy. He should of warned the Chicks that anti-war comments would alienate thier fans. He (or she) should of advised them avoid the subject like the plague.

No, it's not fair. Yes, I am saying that public figures have to present a faccade in order to be successful. It's the business. It's the trade-off.

If they want to be regular Americans and say whatever they want. Let them take a regular American salary and work a regular job. Then they can stand on any American sidewalk and preach till they are blue in the face.

Michael Moore does not have an ego. He is a smart business man that wants to sell books. He knows that by being a public nusience he gets publicity and free promotion for his product. I bet his website was jammed with hits the day after his statement at the Oscars. Moore could never say " I like the idea of ( insert any Rebulican platform issue)" because he would offen those who support him.

Moore is tied down by the same restrictions that the Dixie Chicks are just the other side of the asile. :cool:

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Blazer

ontherocks
Forum Member
Jan 4, 2003
Nashville
www.madjacksports.com
chickkks x

chickkks x

Dixie Chicks new PR picture

chicks.jpg

Captain Crunch

Forum Member
Apr 22, 2002
Lee's Summit, Mo.
Marine, I believe the correct version is "It is better to keep your mouth shut and look stupid, then it is to open it and remove all doubt." You got the point across nicely though. Carry On