Anyone use Progressive Insurance company?

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

Mickstr68

Forum Member
Feb 1, 2000
Deltona, Florida, USA
The Insurance company that I currently have is pulling out of the state of Florida and am now shopping insurance companies. Progressive has an awesome rate for the same coverage I have now as compared to other, more major, companies.

Anyone have experiences that they can share with about Progressive Insurance?

GoVols

Forum Member
Jul 19, 2002
Cleveland Ohio
Sorry, but I do not have any information about Progressive. However, I would recommend you check out American Express (they go by Ameriprise now). I have had them for 7 years now and have been really pleased. I check some other insurance companies rates once a year or so, and they don't even come close to the good rate I have with Amex.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

BADTODABONE

MM 82
Forum Member
Jan 10, 2003
Islamorada, FL
I've had Progressive last 2 1/2 years, no claims for me so I can't help you there. Have seen them pay claims for others, fast and fair IMO.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

bryanz

Forum Member
Aug 8, 2001
Syracuse ny, usa
I used them for 7 yrs,never had a claim, slid into a parked car in a lot on some ice and they wanted to double my rate. They gave me a great rate, that's why I went with them. I would just contact ten different company's on the net to get the best price. I have called the same company in the same day and received 2 different prices. You won't believe the range in price,for the same coverage, if you get ten quotes. Be up front with the person you talk to, tell them you are shopping and they are quote #_____.

rrc

Forum Member
Feb 26, 2001
Had Progressive quote me and for like coverage State Farm beat them.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

kosar

Centrist
Forum Member
Nov 27, 1999
ft myers, fl
I had them about 8 or 9 years ago. A drunk driver sideswiped my car and mangled up the left side, tore off the front quarterpanel, etc...

Even if it's not your fault, you definitely should still notify your insurance company, so I called them the next morning. Guy comes out in his 'Progressive response team' SUV :rolleyes: and whips out his computer. He types a bunch of crap in there and says that there is $1400 worth of damage.

Thank God the drunk guy had good insurance with State Farm. Now, I hate State Farm for other reasons but I take it in to them and they tell me that they will pay me $3900 for the damage. Cut me a check on the spot and that covered it with a couple hundred to spare.

I switched to Hartford shortly thereafter and have been very happy.

Just one persons experience, but I would never deal with Progressive again.

Blazer

ontherocks
Forum Member
Jan 4, 2003
Nashville
www.madjacksports.com
Progressive is a very unique company in a very vanilla business. The company model is an interesting one that I have posted about before.

I have a family member who is pretty high up in the Progressive echelon. Insurance companies are mostly the same when you deal with the big 4 (Progressive, Allstate, Geico, State Farm). Service and Payouts average out to be close to equal. For example, due to a "cleaner" driving record my family member and I do not use Progressive. This is common in the company. By my unofficial count, I would say only about half of Progressive employees use Progressive. This is common throughout the car insurance business. Like I said, most of the variables are equal, just focus on the rates.

One note: If a company is newer in your individual market, they will host "lower" rates for higher risk drivers in order to catch market share.

Sun Tzu

Forum Member
Nov 10, 2003
Houston, Texas
I have USAA and have found them to be the best. But unless things have changed not everyone can get them. I believe, at least when i started, you had to be military or military dependent.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

bubbas1

Forum Member
Jan 7, 2003
Wisconsin
I totaled the wifes explorer after a lady pulled out from a stop sign. She had USAA. I went to the doctor 1 time and contacted her ins co. about a rental. They said they would pay $15 a day to me. I explained that it was costing $40 a day because I rented the same thing there client wrecked. They refused to budge so I went to a lawyer. 3 days later another person from USAA calls and wants to talk. I told them it was to late and they should fire the first person I talked to because I wasnt looking for anything more than the rental and vehicle settlement. It ended up costing them $3000 more in the end just because of the idiot I spoke to in the beginning.

As far as Progressive ins goes they have always been the highest ones quoted for me. They only thing I know people using them for is motorcycles and snowmobiles. The rates are reasonable there.

bubbas1

Forum Member
Jan 7, 2003
Wisconsin
Sun Tzu...true but the point was it cost them 3K more than it should have and if they keep making mistakes like that it would be the insureds that will end up paying in the end.

Grand

Forum Member
Jul 14, 2005
I don't know if Erie Ins. is down there but they have been great for me.

Dice34

Off parole
Forum Member
Dec 18, 2004
D.O.C.
I have progressive, and they were by far the cheapest rate with the same coverage vs the others, for me.......but everyones different......

Agent 0659

:mj07:
Forum Member
Dec 21, 2003
Gym rat
Mick, get my email from Jack. I didnt read the responses but I would HIGHLY reccomend you look elsewhere for coverage. Im an independent agent and I have Progressive as a carrier but I almost never use them. Only on extreme high risk cases. My Dad owns a body shop so I keep up on who handles claims correctly, it aint Progressive!!

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Agent 0659

:mj07:
Forum Member
Dec 21, 2003
Gym rat
Blazer said:
. Like I said, most of the variables are equal, just focus on the rates.

Blazer, you are crazy. Progressive tries to low ball almost every claim, use after market parts, slow pay, dip shit adjusters, the whole thing. DO NOT just put your insurance anywhere you can find the lowest rate. PLUS Progressive doesnt do Homeowners so you have it somewhere else and you are missing out on up to a 25% discount in most cases for multi policy. Never fails to amaze me how casual people take protecting all the assets they have worked their entire life to gather, "oh just gimme the cheapest" thats freaking crazy. Get a good agent, get your shit insured correctly and quit trying to save 40 bucks a year, believe me if you ever need to use it you will be glad.

Ok, sorry no more soapbox :violin:

Jake DeNiro

Jakey Pups
Forum Member
Dec 13, 2001
Agent 0659 said:
Blazer, you are crazy. Progressive tries to low ball almost every claim, use after market parts, slow pay, dip shit adjusters, the whole thing. DO NOT just put your insurance anywhere you can find the lowest rate. PLUS Progressive doesnt do Homeowners so you have it somewhere else and you are missing out on up to a 25% discount in most cases for multi policy. Never fails to amaze me how casual people take protecting all the assets they have worked their entire life to gather, "oh just gimme the cheapest" thats freaking crazy. Get a good agent, get your shit insured correctly and quit trying to save 40 bucks a year, believe me if you ever need to use it you will be glad.

Ok, sorry no more soapbox :violin:

I'm just in the midst of changing my home insurance over to a cheaper company ($295 per year), but since reading your soapbox :lol: I think I'll stay with my present company....thanks and hope you're doing well.